North East Buses

Full Version: UK Bus Awards 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can't remember where we discussed this before, but the finalists for this year's awards are out now:
http://www.ukbusawards.org.uk/content/in...om_content&view=article&id=739:shortlist-summary&catid=121&Itemid=139
Top National Bus Depot sponsored by Personal Group

Balfron, First Scotland East
Blyth, Arriva North East
Crawley, Metrobus
Gotham, Nottingham City Transport
Newport, Southern Vectis 
Rotherham, First South Yorkshire
 Really? Id laugh if they win. 
(09 Oct 2014, 7:42 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ] Really? Id laugh if they win. 

Guess it depends on how you judge the 'best' bus depot...

Do you measure it by buses leaving on time, do you measure it by the smallest lost mileage, do you measure it by the least amount of VORs, do you measure it by keeping buses on the right route...?

I'd assume a mix of everything - obviously they're better at some things than others..!  Rolleyes
(09 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Guess it depends on how you judge the 'best' bus depot...

Do you measure it by buses leaving on time, do you measure it by the smallest lost mileage, do you measure it by the least amount of VORs, do you measure it by keeping buses on the right route...?

I'd assume a mix of everything - obviously they're better at some things than others..!  Rolleyes

The criteria itself is pretty vague. 

This award is designed to recognise and reward high standards of operation and customer care by bus depots and garages throughout the UK.

The Award is open to bus depots or garages that operate buses on local bus services outside London. For the purposes of this award, a bus garage is defined as an authorised operating base at which vehicles are both stabled overnight and maintained.

And ANE's Blyth depot entry is as follows:
Blyth Depot of more than 150 staff prides itself on being an exceptional operation with outstanding commitment to its passengers, employees and the community it serves. Consistency is key to the operation which runs a fleet of 50 plus buses and lost mileage of just 0.26 and punctuality score of 87% in 2013 have seen its standards maintained. 'It's alive, it's electric' campaign, the sequel saw local people and drivers involved in promoting the new Arriva journey planner app which was rolled out first in the North East in January this year, and the judges were impressed by the depot's full engagement with the community as well as the level of service which Blyth continues to deliver.

I'd question how they can use the "It's alive, it's electric" campaign, or the journey planner app, in their submission. Both are national schemes, and would have been rolled out regardless of whether ANE have a depot in Blyth. Taking that away, then you're left off with a pretty poor level of punctuality, and a low level of lost mileage. 
If we take a look at the data from our good friends as Passenger Focus, they show Arriva in Tyne and Wear having a very poor score of only 67% satisfied with the punctuality of their bus. A gap of some 87%. I know this comes down to actual vs assumed, but surely you have to take your customers with you if you're trying to shout about customer care?  Huh
Noticed GNE's entry under "Putting Passengers First"

"An extensive market research programme backs up this approach with an on-line passenger panel, targeted research, and mystery traveller checks and Passenger Focus customer satisfaction scores of over 90% reflect the success of the company's approach"

First I've heard of an on-line passenger panel? I know they were on about passenger panels as part of the 'Say Yes Now' campaign. Anyone know anything about it?

Also wonder why the mystery traveller data isn't published? You'd assume it'd back up the Passenger Focus score of 90%, seeing as Passenger Focus is the be all and end all.
(10 Oct 2014, 6:18 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]First I've heard of an on-line passenger panel? I know they were on about passenger panels as part of the 'Say Yes Now' campaign. Anyone know anything about it?

There is a Passenger Panel, and I know a number of members of this forum are a part of it (myself included).

Every time there is a questionnaire, I screenshot the questions and upload them to the forum. One example is shown here.
(10 Oct 2014, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]There is a Passenger Panel, and I know a number of members of this forum are a part of it.

Every time there is a questionnaire, I screenshot the questions and upload them to the forum. One example is shown here.

How'd you end up on that? I'd probably complete most of them.
(10 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]How'd you end up on that? I'd probably complete most of them.

The first Passenger Panel survey was issued in December 2012.
I can't remember 'signing up' to it - I think I was randomly e-mailed. Go North East had my e-mail address from my Key Card details, so I assume they just picked it out of a database at random.

Screenshot of the web-version of the first e-mail I received is shown below:
[attachment=5976]

Tends to be one around every 3-6 months, and if I didn't go to the bother of screenshotting each page, it would last no more than 10 minutes.
That'll explain it then. I tend to opt out of any opportunity for a company to email me about things, or pass my details on to 3rd parties. Tongue