North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
(09 Jun 2013, 5:47 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I hope they don't order them for the 58. It'll be a mistake in my opinion. I don't think they're big enough to handle the loads on there for a start.

Same here, I didn't enjoy my ride on the streetlite on the 58 a few weeks back. I would personally like to see either Volvo 7900H or a Wright Pulsar 2 tested on the 58. But I think a Wright Gemini 2 maybe the best option capacity wise, unless GNE do buy say the Streetlite and then up the frequency to every 6/7 minutes.
(09 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]
(09 Jun 2013, 5:47 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I hope they don't order them for the 58. It'll be a mistake in my opinion. I don't think they're big enough to handle the loads on there for a start.

Same here, I didn't enjoy my ride on the streetlite on the 58 a few weeks back. I would personally like to see either Volvo 7900H or a Wright Pulsar 2 tested on the 58. But I think a Wright Gemini 2 maybe the best option capacity wise, unless GNE do buy say the Streetlite and then up the frequency to every 6/7 minutes.

Only problem with increasing the frequency is your operating costs then go through the roof. Loading it with new investment puts enough pressure on the route already with depreciation costs of the new vehicles, never mind putting extra vehicles into the cycle.
To go from the vehicles they had on it over the years ranging from deckers to Solars, to increasing the frequency, to then sticking artics on them, which see high passenger numbers South of the river in particular, it doesnt make sense to then replace these bigger vehicles with smaller ones.

When I have seen the 58, loadings don't seem high around Leam Lane Estate, but pick up as it heads towards Newcastle and vice versa from Newcastle towards Leam Lane. It might be different at certain times of the day though.
With some of the tight turns in the estate, Im very surprised there haven't been any accidents or cars being clipped (or many reported publically anyway)

If the Streelites are being bought for the 58, then maybe there is going to be some sort of re-jig of the service.

With the state of the roads across Gateshead, they aint going to do these lightweight vehicles any favours.
(09 Jun 2013, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]To go from the vehicles they had on it over the years ranging from deckers to Solars, to increasing the frequency, to then sticking artics on them, which see high passenger numbers South of the river in particular, it doesnt make sense to then replace these bigger vehicles with smaller ones.

When I have seen the 58, loadings don't seem high around Leam Lane Estate, but pick up as it heads towards Newcastle and vice versa from Newcastle towards Leam Lane. It might be different at certain times of the day though.
With some of the tight turns in the estate, Im very surprised there haven't been any accidents or cars being clipped (or many reported publically anyway)

If the Streelites are being bought for the 58, then maybe there is going to be some sort of re-jig of the service.

With the state of the roads across Gateshead, they aint going to do these lightweight vehicles any favours.
Totally agree with hoping the Streetltes dont gonon the 58. Had the misfortune of having it going home several times and it seems cheap, hardly gold standard like the Citaros were. On a plus point the demo Versa id great.
I have rode the versa a few times and it is a very nice bus, but capacity wise it may struggle, but i would like to see versas on the route though!! Do optare still make tempos??
(09 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm)Wellsey18 wrote [ -> ]I have rode the versa a few times and it is a very nice bus, but capacity wise it may struggle, but i would like to see versas on the route though!! Do optare still make tempos??

Yes the Tempo SR

Bit of Info on it.

There's far more to this innovative low-floor single deck CityBus than immediately meets the eye. It features Optare's trademark fully integral frame construction in durable stainless steel. A heavy-duty structure which is not only very strong but also delivers an exceptionally low unladen weight - ultimately reducing fuel consumption and operational costs.

Low floor heavy duty construction, available in three lengths, 10.7, 11.5 and 12.2 metres.

Up to 43 seats plus 24 standing passenger capacity.

Heavy duty proven mechanical components for long life and durability.
Centralised Multiplexed electrical system for rapid fault diagnosis.

A combination of GFRP and Aluminium modular panels for rapid replacement or repair.

Competitive price and low operating costs.

Class leading fuel efficiency
Funnily enough nobody has bought any Tempo SR since the issues Trent Barton had with their batch...
Venture MPD 544 on the 39 to Pennywell. At Park Lane now.

SPD 8227 on the 700s today. Also at Park Lane now - bound for Royal Hospital. Nice Euro 5 vehicle there. ;-)
Seems very strange having a venture bus on the 39 when it's based consett way. Having said that if my memory is right 544 used to be a Doxford clipper a few years back when it ran run to north Sunderland
Is it still yellow? Wonder if that will go to the paintshop? Only time will tell!! Never seen it on any route since the transfer.
Still in full branding. Thought I'd make a note of it because I think it's the first time she's been out since transferred.
Versa demo 9133 has been withdrawn and returned to Optare.
SimpliCity Versa 8328 replaced the SPD on the 700 I spoke of earlier.
The spare branded Solo SR is still out too.
Didnt get fleet number, but the Lime 78 heading into Chester at 8.15 this morning(absolutely packed with standees all the way to the back) was sounding very rough. The dyson engine was hoovering up the roads lovely, but a loose 'belt' of some sort in the engine was screeching very loudly and didnt sound healthy at all.
lmao.. The dyson engine was hoovering up the roads lovely, that's the best sentence ive ever heard on here.
Drifter Cadet 8272 is on the 60s today - but she is subject to be taken off once she gets to Parkside. Couldn't get into reverse while trying to depart Park Lane - dashboard is suggesting that the problem is still occurring despite having managed to pull out after 10 minutes of trying. Now running rather late indeed! ;-)

73 is out on the 36s as per usual allocation. I've not seen 71 today.
Nor have I seen Doxford Clipper MPD 605.
Mpd 542 is on the 56 just left Gateshead 15mins ago
Why did they buy the ex southern vectis citaros, (56 reg) like how come they only got two and not more
Un-ID'd East Durham MPD on 61s... Left Park Lane about 5 mins ago.
(11 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm)Wellsey18 wrote [ -> ]Why did they buy the ex Southern Vectis Citaros, (56 reg) like how come they only got two and not more
It was a vehicle swap... in November 2010, GNE sent Go South Coast DAF SB 120s 8274 and 8275, followed that December by Volvo coaches 7085, 7086, 7088 and 7089 in exchange for the two Citaros...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24