North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mod note: Moved a section of posts to here: https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2207&pid=262994#pid262994
We all know GNE is under going massive re-painting and Re branding, but I thought why isn't the 50 or The 49/A/C. They are quite popular services and I do think they should be branded. Also I do think the 12/6/9/5 should be branding I know they interwork however I think they both deserve brandings same with the 9&5. I mean if the 12 & 6 does get the streetlites they should be branded. And why isn't the 49, it should be.

Also when the 50 gets newer buses (maybe 15' Plate Streelites or 5369-5376) when they do that should be branded.
(02 Sep 2021, 10:26 am)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]We all know GNE is under going massive re-painting and Re branding, but I thought why isn't the 50 or The 49/A/C. They are quite popular services and I do think they should be branded. Also I do think the 12/6/9/5 should be branding I know they interwork however I think they both deserve brandings same with the 9&5. I mean if the 12 & 6 does get the streetlites they should be branded. And why isn't the 49, it should be.

Also when the 50 gets newer buses (maybe 15' Plate Streelites or 5369-5376) when they do that should be branded.

The 50 will be interworking with the 26 so branding wouldn't work unless it was very generic.

Likewise with the 6 and 12, they are completely different routes so it is hard to have a brand for them - the only sort of branding that would work is something along the lines of the old 'Toon Link' branding.
(02 Sep 2021, 10:26 am)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]We all know GNE is under going massive re-painting and Re branding, but I thought why isn't the 50 or The 49/A/C. They are quite popular services and I do think they should be branded. Also I do think the 12/6/9/5 should be branding I know they interwork however I think they both deserve brandings same with the 9&5. I mean if the 12 & 6 does get the streetlites they should be branded. And why isn't the 49, it should be.

The 49 used to have the half arsed 'The 49' brand, but that was removed a year or two back, prior to that it was Blaydon Racers, which I quite liked

I think the less said about the previous 50 branding the better!
(02 Sep 2021, 10:30 am)Thomas12 wrote [ -> ]The 50 will be interworking with the 26 so branding wouldn't work unless it was very generic.

Likewise with the 6 and 12, they are completely different routes so it is hard to have a brand for them - the only sort of branding that would work is something along the lines of the old 'Toon Link' branding.
Ah so the 26 will be washington operated. And the 5 will be Deptford.

I mean for the 50/26 it could be the Seasider - South Shields Connect - BeachRider idk they are both related by south sheilds. Maybe 

6&12 would suit a updated version of the ToonLink, or just like you say a Generic Name CityConnect. CityLink (might aswell bring that back).                     

49 - Blaydon Ranger / Winlaton Ranger 

9/5 - Tyne & Wear Explorer
(02 Sep 2021, 10:42 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]The 49 used to have the half arsed 'The 49' brand, but that was removed a year or two back, prior to that it was Blaydon Racers, which I quite liked

Given the need for Euro 6 at Riverside for extras etc, it makes more sense to swap the Omnicities that will remain from Washington with Citaros for the 50/26.

That covers the 6/12 as well plus the capacity to carry on with the extras at peak times, albeit with less capacity than a B7 or Omnidekka.
(02 Sep 2021, 11:18 am)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]Given the need for Euro 6 at Riverside for extras etc, it makes more sense to swap the Omnicities that will remain from Washington with Citaros for the 50/26.

That covers the 6/12 as well plus the capacity to carry on with the extras at peak times, albeit with less capacity than a B7 or Omnidekka.

Except the Omnicities on the 50 converted to Euro6 spec were done using funding in corporation from.......South Tyneside Council. And I'm sure Dan has mentioned in the past, as a result of that, the Omnicities can only be replaced on the 50 by vehicles of similar Euro rating - which basically means the Citaros can't replace them as they are only Euro5 (or Euro4).
(02 Sep 2021, 10:42 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]The 49 used to have the half arsed 'The 49' brand, but that was removed a year or two back, prior to that it was Blaydon Racers, which I quite liked

"The 49" "The 9" ngl that branden just annoyed me. I don't get how the 49 isn't branded.

(02 Sep 2021, 11:23 am)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Except the Omnicities on the 50 converted to Euro6 spec were done using funding in corporation from.......South Tyneside Council. And I'm sure Dan has mentioned in the past, as a result of that, the Omnicities can only be replaced on the 50 by vehicles of similar Euro rating - which basically means the Citaros can't replace them as they are only Euro5 (or Euro4).
Are the 66' plates not Euro 6. and then you have the rest of the 17' Plates from Deptford. Which should go onto 12/6. (Which should get branding like CityConnect or CityLink)

(02 Sep 2021, 11:18 am)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]Given the need for Euro 6 at Riverside for extras etc, it makes more sense to swap the Omnicities that will remain from Washington with Citaros for the 50/26.

I think a few more Citaros / OmniCity's will be being withdrawn later this year. But also the 03/04 plate OmniDekkas should be going by the end of next year if not before.
(02 Sep 2021, 11:23 am)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Except the Omnicities on the 50 converted to Euro6 spec were done using funding in corporation from.......South Tyneside Council. And I'm sure Dan has mentioned in the past, as a result of that, the Omnicities can only be replaced on the 50 by vehicles of similar Euro rating - which basically means the Citaros can't replace them as they are only Euro5 (or Euro4).

South Tyneside did fund the upgrade to Euro 6, there is the option of robbing their engines, they aren't great buses and the comfort on the 50 is very poor. Given the fact only the City of Newcastle is 'capable' of attaining the carbon level promised , South Tyneside where on a whim with that one..
(02 Sep 2021, 10:30 am)Thomas12 wrote [ -> ]The 50 will be interworking with the 26 so branding wouldn't work unless it was very generic.

Maybe I’m misreading the timetables but I don’t see why the 6 and 12 need to interwork? Surely they could be both standalone? It does seem a missed opportunity to not brand services which are pretty high frequency, the 12s are every 15 minutes and Blaydon Racers was a good brand. The unbranded routes certainly used to feel like neglected ones.
(02 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]Maybe I’m misreading the timetables but I don’t see why the 6 and 12 need to interwork? Surely they could be both standalone? It does seem a missed opportunity to not brand services which are pretty high frequency, the 12s are every 15 minutes and Blaydon Racers was a good brand. The unbranded routes certainly used to feel like neglected ones.

The 6 and 12 interwork so that drivers can be relieved at Metrocentre, where there are meal relief facilities. The 6 was also unreliable when it ran standalone (although the service is obviously being changed in September so that may no longer be the case).

It is incredibly costly to have vans running back and forth between Blaydon and Metrocentre for drivers' meal breaks (for every relief you add 20 mins on - 10 for the driver coming off, and 10 for the driver going on). Whilst they could be standalone, and individually branded, it adds a lot of costs into the business. If that results in the service no longer turning as great a profit, it could lead to service reductions. I think it's best to keep these routes interworking if it prevents cuts being made.
(02 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]Maybe I’m misreading the timetables but I don’t see why the 6 and 12 need to interwork? Surely they could be both standalone? It does seem a missed opportunity to not brand services which are pretty high frequency, the 12s are every 15 minutes and Blaydon Racers was a good brand. The unbranded routes certainly used to feel like neglected ones.
Yeah I mean, if you imo look at the 50/49 quite frequent services which are busy it makes them look like a lost cause which I know they are not.
(02 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The 6 and 12 interwork so that drivers can be relieved at Metrocentre, where there are meal relief facilities. The 6 was also unreliable when it ran standalone (although the service is obviously being changed in September so that may no longer be the case).

It is incredibly costly to have vans running back and forth between Blaydon and Metrocentre for drivers' meal breaks (for every relief you add 20 mins on - 10 for the driver coming off, and 10 for the driver going on). Whilst they could be standalone, and individually branded, it adds a lot of costs into the business. If that results in the service no longer turning as great a profit, it could lead to service reductions. I think it's best to keep these routes interworking if it prevents cuts being made.
I know they interwork, but you could give it a casual brand like CityLink, CityConnect.
(02 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The 6 and 12 interwork so that drivers can be relieved at Metrocentre, where there are meal relief facilities. The 6 was also unreliable when it ran standalone (although the service is obviously being changed in September so that may no longer be the case).

Could the 12/12A not be revised to interwork with the 49/49A as an alternative? That way these two services could be given a Blaydon/Winlaton themed brand.
(02 Sep 2021, 5:59 pm)peter wrote [ -> ]Could the 12/12A not be revised to interwork with the 49/49A as an alternative? That way these two services could be given a Blaydon/Winlaton themed brand.
Winlaton Ranger
(02 Sep 2021, 5:59 pm)peter wrote [ -> ]Could the 12/12A not be revised to interwork with the 49/49A as an alternative? That way these two services could be given a Blaydon/Winlaton themed brand.

Unless there's a change commencing on Sunday, and I know the 12/12A and 49/49A are no-longer being advertised as operating as a clockwise/anti-clockwise loop around Blaydon/Winlaton, but I believe through fares are still available if travelling from, say Hanover Estate down to Blaydon using both the 12 and 12A. 

Other than the 'Blaydon Racers', which has now died twice, or 'Toon Link', another brand confined to the vast grave of brands at the cemetery located somewhere in the vicinity of GNE towers, what other brand name is appropriate? Considering neither brand has stuck, do these services require yet another rebranding? Or are we all in the mindset of branding buses just for the sake of it.......again?
(02 Sep 2021, 6:10 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Unless there's a change commencing on Sunday, and I know the 12/12A and 49/49A are no-longer being advertised as operating as a clockwise/anti-clockwise loop around Blaydon/Winlaton, but I believe through fares are still available if travelling from, say Hanover Estate down to Blaydon using both the 12 and 12A. 

Other than the 'Blaydon Racers', which has now died twice, or 'Toon Link', another brand confined to the vast grave of brands at the cemetery located somewhere in the vicinity of GNE towers, what other brand name is appropriate? Considering neither brand has stuck, do these services require yet another rebranding? Or are we all in the mindset of branding buses just for the sake of it.......again?
I think it was due to the age of buses, and not being Euro 6 maybe that is why they lost branding.

I'm not sure what's happening with the 66 plate Streetlites but if you did that then you'd force the 49/49A to be a Euro 6 route aswell even known it doesn't serve the LEZ which could be costly. Whereas now anything can run the 49/49A so newer buses can be released for the 6/12
(02 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure what's happening with the 66 plate Streetlites but if you did that then you'd force the 49/49A to be a Euro 6 route aswell even known it doesn't serve the LEZ which could be costly. Whereas now anything can run the 49/49A so newer buses can be released for the 6/12
You have the spare 17' Plate ones from Deptford. & 15
(02 Sep 2021, 6:22 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]You have the spare 17' Plate ones from Deptford. & 15

The 15 plates aren't Euro 6 though and there's not enough ex Durham Diamond Streetlites for the 51/52 either. There might be enough but I don't believe there is without going into the 49 Streetlites with the 6 and 12 added to the mix.