North East Buses

Full Version: Vehicle capacity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just had a message from a friend on the bus and it looks like drivers are no longer updating the capacity of the vehicle, or bothering with the Bus Full signs.

On the bus she is on, there is at least one person per row and the driver is still letting people on. I tracked the bus on the website and the capacity is still saying "Quiet, this vehicle is mostly empty"

Quite worrying if this is the case.

I mean, on the X21 yesterday it seemed like it was getting quite busy, ie. at least one every other row, and it was still showing as 'Quiet', but I never thought anything of it at the time.
(19 Aug 2020, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Just had a message from a friend on the bus and it looks like drivers are no longer updating the capacity of the vehicle, or bothering with the Bus Full signs.

On the bus she is on, there is at least one person per row and the driver is still letting people on. I tracked the bus on the website and the capacity is still saying "Quiet, this vehicle is mostly empty"

I mean, on the X21 yesterday it seemed like it was getting quite busy, ie. at least one every other row, and it was still showing as 'Quiet', but I never thought anything of it at the time.

I was on a 49 a few weeks back and there was one person per row until the stage where there was two people to a row and one person standing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(19 Aug 2020, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Just had a message from a friend on the bus and it looks like drivers are no longer updating the capacity of the vehicle, or bothering with the Bus Full signs.

I believe this is updated by the capacity data based on previous journeys on previous days/weeks. It is not a live feed. No doubt as services get busier  this will be reflected on future journeys

It's impossible to not track how many people are on the bus. There is warning signs on the ticket machines and capacity is monitored through this.

As a rule of thumb, capacity is half of the number of seats. However, this is assuming that every passenger is travelling on their own. So in reality, the capacity will be between 50-70% of the number of seats. It is not an exact science, and driver discretion is applied.

Frankly, drivers are in a no win situation in regards to this. They cannot enforce the wearing of masks or social distancing when on board the vehicle as it is often impossible to tell who is with who. Additionally, if they declare bus full and go sailing past stops (even on a frequent service) or have to refuse people waiting. It's only generating aggro for the driver.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(19 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]I believe this is updated by the capacity data based on previous journeys on previous days/weeks. It is not a live feed. No doubt as services get busier  this will be reflected on future journeys

That's the When2Travel thing, the capacity on the tracker should be live.

(19 Aug 2020, 12:10 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]It's impossible to not track how many people are on the bus. There is warning signs on the ticket machines and capacity is monitored through this.

As a rule of thumb, capacity is half of the number of seats. However, this is assuming that every passenger is travelling on their own. So in reality, the capacity will be between 50-70% of the number of seats. It is not an exact science, and driver discretion is applied.

Frankly, drivers are in a no win situation in regards to this. They cannot enforce the wearing of masks or social distancing when on board the vehicle as it is often impossible to tell who is with who. Additionally, if they declare bus full and go sailing past stops (even on a frequent service) or have to refuse people waiting. It's only generating aggro for the driver.

But don't the drivers have to actually use the counter for it to update? Or does registering a ticket automatically 'add one', then they count them off?

Because going off what MG has said, it should update the tracker on the website live and when it gets close to capacity it should at least change from 'quiet'
(19 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]That's the When2Travel thing, the capacity on the tracker should be live.

But don't the drivers have to actually use the counter for it to update? Or does registering a ticket automatically 'add one', then they count them off?

Because going off what MG has said, it should update the tracker on the website live and when it gets close to capacity it should at least change from 'quiet'

Every ticket purchased, scanned or tapped is logged automatically. As people get off, the facility is there to count them off. If they are not counted off, the ticket machine assumes they are still on board. On a decker for example, around 30-35 people the alight button turns amber - thereby warning the driver they are nearing capacity. After around 40, the bar turns red to warn the driver that they are above capacity. The driver is then supposed to manually check to see if there are any free rows of seats in order to confirm that the bus is full and if there is room for anyone else.

The procedure then is to change the destination blind to bus full, send a message or radio supervisors (depending on service frequency) who will then make a decision as to whether another bus need to be sent out, or the next service is close behind with enough room for anyone left.

(19 Aug 2020, 12:19 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]Every ticket purchased, scanned or tapped is logged automatically. As people get off, the facility is there to count them off. If they are not counted off, the ticket machine assumes they are still on board. On a decker for example, around 30-35 people the alight button turns amber - thereby warning the driver they are nearing capacity. After around 40, the bar turns red to warn the driver that they are above capacity. The driver is then supposed to manually check to see if there are any free rows of seats in order to confirm that the bus is full and if there is room for anyone else.

The procedure then is to change the destination blind to bus full, send a message or radio supervisors (depending on service frequency) who will then make a decision as to whether another bus need to be sent out, or the next service is close behind with enough room for anyone left.

But am I right in thinking that those numbers are then fed into the live tracker which should update the capacity? That's the way I understood it to work
(19 Aug 2020, 12:19 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]The driver is then supposed to manually check to see if there are any free rows of seats in order to confirm that the bus is full and if there is room for anyone else.

This clearly isn't happening though in the situation Streetdeckfan described in the initial post. As soon as there is 1(+, if there are same household passengers) person per row, that implies the bus has reached capacity - so the destination should be updated and the driver shouldn't be allowing anyone else on.
(19 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]But am I right in thinking that those numbers are then fed into the live tracker which should update the capacity? That's the way I understood it to work
That's how it should work in theory

(19 Aug 2020, 12:19 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]Every ticket purchased, scanned or tapped is logged automatically. As people get off, the facility is there to count them off. If they are not counted off, the ticket machine assumes they are still on board. On a decker for example, around 30-35 people the alight button turns amber - thereby warning the driver they are nearing capacity. After around 40, the bar turns red to warn the driver that they are above capacity. The driver is then supposed to manually check to see if there are any free rows of seats in order to confirm that the bus is full and if there is room for anyone else.

I noticed yesterday that the buses are getting busier. It depends on the driver, some don't want the arguments so just let them all on. Most, do put the BUS FULL sign up. I've seen one or two in the last week or so. Yesterday, the 21:18 6A from the Metrocentre seemed quite busy as this tweet came out saying that an extra bus would be put on. 

https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...5960414209
(19 Aug 2020, 12:27 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]This clearly isn't happening though in the situation Streetdeckfan described in the initial post. As soon as there is 1(+, if there are same household passengers) person per row, that implies the bus has reached capacity - so the destination should be updated and the driver shouldn't be allowing anyone else on.

Like I say, it isn't an exact science. Drivers are doing their best in a difficult situation but it is down to the public to act responsibly while on board. You will always have a case or two where drivers simply forget or in rare cases, just can't be bothered with the hassle. There will of course be repercussions if a complaint is made and the investigation finds the driver ignored the guidelines set out. It's in everyone's interest to work together during this which I think is happening as a broad generalisation. However, like I have previously said, people have different opinions of what the latest guidelines are and will still be pushing for the 2m distance capacity when this is now no longer the case.

(19 Aug 2020, 12:27 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]That's how it should work in theory

So I'm guessing it might be an IT issue then

(19 Aug 2020, 12:32 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]Like I say, it isn't an exact science. Drivers are doing their best in a difficult situation but it is down to the public to act responsibly while on board. You will always have a case or two where drivers simply forget or in rare cases, just can't be bothered with the hassle. There will of course be repercussions if a complaint is made and the investigation finds the driver ignored the guidelines set out. It's in everyone's interest to work together during this which I think is happening as a broad generalisation. However, like I have previously said, people have different opinions of what the latest guidelines are and will still be pushing for the 2m distance capacity when this is now no longer the case.

I believe the guidance is 2m if you can, 1m if you can't.

So have a row in between when it's empty, and the keep to one per row once it gets a bit busier.
(19 Aug 2020, 12:36 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I believe the guidance is 2m if you can, 1m if you can't.

So have a row in between when it's empty, and the keep to one per row once it gets a bit busier.

The guidance is 2m unless it's not possible then its 1m plus with relevant mitigations (face masks, being back to back or side to side)

Issue is some of the drivers are showing no care whatsoever and letting on beyond the restricted capacity so their is no social distancing, for myself personally using the 21 coming out of Newcastle on a evening after finishing work is absolutely ridiculous as it is packed, fair enough the driver last night followed procedure to a tee by challenging anyone who did not have a face mask, tallied off on the ticket machine how many was on board but did again allow on board more than the restricted capacity, she only got on the cab and checked downstairs and upstairs prior to leaving Gateshead which is the first and only time in 5 months I have seen this duty of care for passengers taken place even if she was late in doing so.

I think personally some extras on the 21 are needed with immediate effect only issue here is resource, where does that the come from in terms of drivers & buses. From other observations some of the locals in Gateshead such as the 58 seem to have the same issue and I think with social distancing some services now more than ever need to have double deckers or an increase in frequency for continued passenger safety during this difficult time.
Well some drivers are using the bus full sign. I noticed a 265 at Dalton Park displaying bus full around lunchtime today, I’m not sure if it was a Durham bound or Seaham bound service.
I think Go North East's guidelines are one person or household per double seat. Stagecoach is a zigzag formation for seating.

But in both cases the local services are doing better then the express buses that seem to be mainly carrying fresh air.
(19 Aug 2020, 6:18 pm)Ds1197 wrote [ -> ]I think Go North East's guidelines are one person or household per double seat. Stagecoach is a zigzag formation for seating.

But in both cases the local services are doing better then the express buses that seem to be mainly carrying fresh air.

I personally think on a bus it doesn't really make much difference which formation you use. You're close enough together that it'd probably make sod all difference anyway!

I can't wait for them to open up the rearward facing seats again, I much prefer sitting backwards, and I see no issue with me sitting facing backwards if there's nobody at the other side of the table.

A 64 passed my house, this morning, with the buss full + social distancing sign on. It was barely 1/4 full.
(20 Aug 2020, 11:05 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]A 64 passed my house, this morning, with the buss full + social distancing sign on. It was barely 1/4 full.
Driver must have fancied a easy shift  Big Grin
Is there any sign of front seats being un taped on buses with lack of social distancing between passengers. This would massively help. Noticed on some SC buses & 7122 that front seats weren't the case. On 632 on Wednesday a passenger on a full 19 was asked to sit on an taped seat on 632. Been told by a freind that 6344 also has no front seat tape.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6