North East Buses

Full Version: Vehicle Top Speeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seeing that the spare E200 was running on the X10 got me a bit curious about vehicle top speeds. 
If they're running an E200 on quite a long stretch of motorway, it must be fairly nippy and capable of 'motorway speeds' 

I know the older StreetDecks are limited to 49mph (although at least one of them didn't seem to have this as it was sitting at 55mph on the A1 according to the GPS on my phone), and the B5/B9s have a higher limit. 
But what about the likes of the E200s,E400s, new StreetDecks, Streetlites etc.
(25 Oct 2020, 10:33 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Seeing that the spare E200 was running on the X10 got me a bit curious about vehicle top speeds. 
If they're running an E200 on quite a long stretch of motorway, it must be fairly nippy and capable of 'motorway speeds' 

I know the older StreetDecks are limited to 49mph (although at least one of them didn't seem to have this as it was sitting at 55mph on the A1 according to the GPS on my phone), and the B5/B9s have a higher limit. 
But what about the likes of the E200s,E400s, new StreetDecks, Streetlites etc.

All StreetDecks and all of the Streetlites newer than 2015 have speed limiters set to 50mph. The 6-cylinder StreetDeck is currently limited to 52mph but will be increased to 62mph (as it isn't eligible for the low carbon certification anyway).

All of the ADLs last year are limited to 62mph. The first 11 ADLs this year were wrongly set to 55mph, but they're due to be increased to 62mph.

The Volvos are limited to 57mph.
(25 Oct 2020, 10:43 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]All StreetDecks and all of the Streetlites newer than 2015 have speed limiters set to 50mph. The 6-cylinder StreetDeck is currently limited to 52mph but will be increased to 62mph (as it isn't eligible for the low carbon certification anyway).

All of the ADLs last year are limited to 62mph. The first 11 ADLs this year were wrongly set to 55mph, but they're due to be increased to 62mph.

62mph for the Consett E400MMCs? That's a bit much considering the majority of roads on the X30/X31/X70/X71 are single carriageways (50mph speed limit for buses) and A184 for the X30 is 50MPH.

Fair enough for the X84 & X85 as some of the A69 is a dual carriageway (60mph for buses).
(25 Oct 2020, 11:16 am)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]62mph for the Consett E400MMCs? That's a bit much considering the majority of roads on the X30/X31/X70/X71 are single carriageways (50mph speed limit for buses) and A184 for the X30 is 50MPH.

Fair enough for the X84 & X85 as some of the A69 is a dual carriageway (60mph for buses).

Yes - don't forget 6338-41 all have tachograph units so see regular use on extra-curricular activities.

Go North East don't often set the speed limiters lower than the maximum, anyway.
(25 Oct 2020, 10:43 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]All StreetDecks and all of the Streetlites newer than 2015 have speed limiters set to 50mph. The 6-cylinder StreetDeck is currently limited to 52mph but will be increased to 62mph (as it isn't eligible for the low carbon certification anyway).

Is there a reason the ADLs have a higher limit than the Wrights? I'd have assumed the E200s would have the same limit as the Streetlites
(25 Oct 2020, 11:29 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Is there a reason the ADLs have a higher limit than the Wrights? I'd have assumed the E200s would have the same limit as the Streetlites

The Streetlites and StreetDecks have to be limited to 50mph to qualify for low carbon certification. The ADLs don't.
(25 Oct 2020, 11:41 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]The Streetlites and StreetDecks have to be limited to 50mph to qualify for low carbon certification. The ADLs don't.

Is that because the StreetDecks/Streetlites aren't as efficient at higher speeds, or because the ADLs aren't eligible at all?
(25 Oct 2020, 11:45 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Is that because the StreetDecks/Streetlites aren't as efficient at higher speeds, or because the ADLs aren't eligible at all?

You can read more about low carbon certification here: https://www.lowcvp.org.uk/initiatives/lceb/index.htm

Wrightbus limit their vehicles to 50mph to qualify for this certification, whereas ADL have a different way of achieving this whilst allowing operators to limit the vehicles to 62mph. The older Streetlites (5369-76 and 8339-46) aren't LCEB which is why these are limited to 58mph rather than 50mph like all the other Streetlites.
what would be the top speed of these with the limiter fitted though? I remember getting the 44 back from Whitley and going along the coast road it was like being on a roller coaster. was passing cars and lorries till we got to corner house!
(25 Oct 2020, 12:08 pm)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]what would be the top speed of these with the limiter fitted though? I remember getting the 44 back from Whitley and going along the coast road it was like  being on a roller coaster. was passing cars and lorries till we got to corner house!
Was it an L113 or a Palatine 2?
(25 Oct 2020, 12:08 pm)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]what would be the top speed of these with the limiter fitted though? I remember getting the 44 back from Whitley and going along the coast road it was like  being on a roller coaster. was passing cars and lorries till we got to corner house!

When we had a Versa running on the X21 with a driver who has a heavy right foot, I was surprised how quick it went on the downhill section of the A167 between South Road and Honest Lawyer.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was getting on for 65mph
(25 Oct 2020, 12:39 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]When we had a Versa running on the X21 with a driver who has a heavy right foot, I was surprised how quick it went on the downhill section of the A167 between South Road and Honest Lawyer.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was getting on for 65mph

Yeah, you can over-ride the speed limiter sometimes when you're going downhill.

Most of the Streetlites will get up to 60mph no problem downhill, just 50mph on the flat. I'm not sure many drivers would confess to the speeds they've managed to get to, especially whilst out of service.
(25 Oct 2020, 12:42 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yeah, you can over-ride the speed limiter sometimes when you're going downhill.

Most of the Streetlites will get up to 60mph no problem downhill, just 50mph on the flat. I'm not sure many drivers would confess to the speeds they've managed to get to, especially whilst out of service.

I think the fastest I've been on a StreetDeck on the same stretch has been about 52mph which is why I was surprised by the Versa. It was fairly smooth as well, if a bit noisy.

I'm one of those people that always has an app that tells me the speed open on my phone!

Another thing that's surprised me is how much better the 67 plate Streetdecks were on the bank up to Croxdale, the B5s seem to struggle despite the B5s feeling more powerful at lower speeds.

ANE 1440 has stood out in the past due to its apparent higher speed. 
Love it. Haven't ridden it for a while, so not sure if anything has been done to limit it. 

I was never a fan GNE's Lynxes, but they were great on the 194/294 between Usworth School/Northumbria Centre and Follingsby Roundabout.
(25 Oct 2020, 12:18 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Was it an L113 or a Palatine 2?

it would have been 1989/1990 so was one of those new DAF buses norumberia got . 251-24 were the numbers on that route
Many years ago when Stagecoach ran tri-axle Olympians on the Megabus services, there was one vehicle (13633) which was nicknamed the Geordie Flyer which could hit over 80mph downhill on the M1 towards Meadowhall, one driver I knew (who has sadly since passed) managed to get it up to a high speed on the M1, and amazingly the Olympian took it with ease and just cruised along.