North East Buses

Full Version: Santa Bus and scoial distancing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good on GNE for trying something new with the santa bus but I think there needs to be an urgent rethink either on where it goes or how publicisied it is.  The numbers of people lining the route tonight in Ouston, and from what've seen to a similar extent in Kibblesworth, was absolutely crazy.  The street was literally lined with crowds and thebus appeared to be stopped as it pulled into Iris Crescent after crawling through the crowds on the main road.  Completelyunderstand this is down to individuals' behaviour but the company surely has a responsibility too here.  If there isn't a spike in cases in these areas on the back of these crowds, it will be a Christmas miracle.

Mods feel free to move if this better fits into an existing thread
(19 Dec 2020, 7:13 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote [ -> ]Good on GNE for trying something new with the santa bus but I think there needs to be an urgent rethink either on where it goes or how publicisied it is.  The numbers of people lining the route tonight in Ouston, and from what've seen to a similar extent in Kibblesworth, was absolutely crazy.  The street was literally lined with crowds and thebus appeared to be stopped as it pulled into Iris Crescent after crawling through the crowds on the main road.  Completelyunderstand this is down to individuals' behaviour but the company surely has a responsibility too here.  If there isn't a spike in cases in these areas on the back of these crowds, it will be a Christmas miracle.

Mods feel free to move if this better fits into an existing thread
I thought GNE weren't releasing the actual schedule to stop things like that.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
(19 Dec 2020, 7:58 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I thought GNE weren't releasing the actual schedule to stop things like that.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

They didnt but have released full route map and approx timings on the website.  So the crowds are just gathering and waiting. I was genuinely shocked how stupid so many people are crowding together like the virus won't get them because it's Christmas ffs.

The website etc explains Kibblesworth where they looked to be crowding the turning circle, but Ouston wasnt even meant to be getting visited - though the community clearly knew it was coming.
(19 Dec 2020, 8:00 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote [ -> ]They didnt but have released full route map and approx timings on the website.  So the crowds are just gathering and waiting. I was genuinely shocked how stupid so many people are crowding together like the virus won't get them because it's Christmas ffs.

The website etc explains Kibblesworth where they looked to be crowding the turning circle, but Ouston wasnt even meant to be getting visited - though the community clearly knew it was coming.

I'm just bitter that it's not coming to Bishop!

I mean, I hate Christmas bit it's the principal!  Big Grin
I stood an hour on Kells Lane last night initially for 10 minutes by myself before being joined by around 60-80 others who all stood in the same position with no social distancing being observed, in the end I crossed the other side of the road where nobody was standing at all to get the photo that I got.

I think the idea of spreading some festive cheer is a great after the awful year we have all had but I can their being a spike in covid cases across the region as a result though.
Time to stop publishing the times/route I think.
The risk of transmission in open air is fairly limited.

I doubt the people of Ouston or Low Fell were anywhere near at much risk as the hundreds of people crammed inside shops and supermarkets today were.
It's a well intentioned gesture to spread a bit of goodwill. Unfortunately, it's not down to GNE to police people social distancing and frankly I think its turned into a bit of a beast that has escaped beyond control. Not in a bad way, just that people are very demanding and if they don't get the bus arriving outside of their back gate they're going bananas. I think GNE have been brilliant in trying to do something a bit different. They've added more dates, longer routes and all done by volunteers to try to reach everyone they can and try to encourage people not to crowd into one location.

It's the opposite of a NIMBY... maybe a WIIMBY?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk