North East Buses

Full Version: Rail Replacement between Middlesbrough & Whitby | 13-21 February 2021
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found an image of 730 on a rail replacement yesterday. Even with lockdown seems abit of a stupid allocation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184821405@...947398672/
(16 Feb 2021, 3:05 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Just found an image of 730 on a rail replacement yesterday. Even with lockdown seems abit of a stupid allocation.

This was doing the all stopping rail replacement services between Whitby & Middlesbrough where you can't get anything really any bigger than a Sprinter up to some of the stations to pick up/drop off at, Coatham Coaches also used a Sprinter on this run.

Coaches were used on the more direct journeys mostly operated by Coatham Coaches.
(16 Feb 2021, 3:05 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Just found an image of 730 on a rail replacement yesterday. Even with lockdown seems abit of a stupid allocation.

Not when the rail replacement it is working requires a vehicle of that size.
Since Saturday, and until next Sunday, the Esk Valley Line (Middlesbrough to Whitby) is closed beyond Nunthorpe for track replacement in the Castleton and Danby area. As such, there are two rail replacement services in operation:
An Express between Middlesbrough and Whitby which takes 65 minutes end to end (departing Middlesbrough at 0458, 0655, 1410 and 1810 Monday to Sunday; returning from Whitby at 0631, 0845, 1600 and 1944 Monday to Sunday) operated by full size Coaches
An all-station service, departing each end at the same times as the Express but operating via all stations, taking 2 and a half hours end to end. Due to the roads in the area, a smaller vehicle is required - hence the use of Sprinters.
(16 Feb 2021, 3:15 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]This was doing the all stopping rail replacement services between Whitby & Middlesbrough where you can't get anything really any bigger than a Sprinter up to the stations to pick up/drop off at, Coatham Coaches also used a Sprinter on this run.

Coaches were used on the more direct journeys mostly operated by Coatham Coaches.

Makes sense I guess though I hope they're was a duplicate available if it got full or they had the stoppers running more frequent to aid with social distancing.
(16 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Makes sense I guess though I hope they're was a duplicate available if it got full or they had the stoppers running more frequent to aid with social distancing.

There is, although the few times I've been stationed at Nunthorpe on standby I haven't had a single thing to do all day.
That's relatively soon for the line to be closed again for engineering. It was closed for a week last September too.
(16 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Makes sense I guess though I hope they're was a duplicate available if it got full or they had the stoppers running more frequent to aid with social distancing.

I drove some of these runs... let me assure you they never got anywhere near being full! Most of the trips ran empty on the majority, if not the full, trip. The most passengers I had at once was 2. Some days a lot of the route was missed out anyway due to the weather conditions.

GNE did use 666 on the last day due to a Sprinter being unavailable.

For what it’s worth I’m not sure the expresses saw any passengers all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk