North East Buses

Full Version: Nostalgia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(30 May 2015, 7:53 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Was Chambers down the High Street near where the Cinema is now???

Who remembers Annabels, above Idols IIRC

Ku Klub used to be canny...

I always preferred Durham for a night out...

The Big Jug, Market Tavern, Coach and Eight, Fighting Cocks, Saddle Market, Club Elysium...Would go round most of those on a Night Out, Klute used to be canny, but it was a youth club, saying that I was part of the youth contingent as I was going to Klute from about 15/16

Used to drink in the Colpitts, really cheap beer about a pound a pint in 98/99, The Angel was good too, and spent a lot a time in The Salutation when I was at Fram New College...

Durham Bowling Alley used to be canny, I was indirectly involved in causing a ban on unaccompanied U-18's on Friday and Saturday's, me and my group of pals saw to that, yet we were very friendly with the Management and Security they wanted nothing to do with us on a weekend

As what i was saying before, I started calming down when I was 19 after the Pzazz incident, infact I have only ever misbehaved three times since then, doing good on that considering it has been 14 years since I was 19 Big Grin

Up until 2002 when I bought a house in Durham, I had never had a night out there.
Had a few since like Wink

Aye, Chambers was towards the pictures.
No idea what is there now.
(30 May 2015, 7:33 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]A few years head start, but Chambers was the place to be around 97/98/99.
They had Danny Rampling, Judge Jules, Dave Pearce, Ingrid (off Metro), Brandon Block all putting on sets.

By 2002, I think Chambers had evolved into a strip club.

I think it may have been later when Chambers became a strip club. I know it went through a period around the same time, where it was just opening for externally promoted events. I think there was a rave or two on in there?

Did you ever go to Annabel? I obviously caught the tail end of it the years I was able to drink round the town, but it was still a cracking little club. I was gutted to see that one go. It was a well talked about club, and for the right reasons.
I was never much of a drinker in my formative years. I think the last time I had any alcohol at all was Easter Sunday 2005 and, even then, it was due to a mistake made by the bar staff at The Vulcan in Winlaton (I asked for a pint of Coke and ended up with a pint of Fosters - I tried to give it away but to no avail). As someone who doesn't enjoy drinking, pubs and clubs have never held any real appeal. To be frank, pubs and clubs bore me rigid - I've always been a house-party type of person. So it should come as no surprise when I say I've never ever been on the drink in either Sunderland or Durham. To the best of my knowledge, I've only ever frequented bars located in Newcastle, Winlaton, Whickham, High Spen, Chopwell and Consett on the rare occasions I've been 'out of the piss'.

However, I did hold an affiliation card and used to go 'social clubbing' (albeit without any drinking involved on my part) during my latter teenage years. Social clubbing involves visiting as many clubs as you can during the day - having a drink, a game of pool and a quick game of darts in each venue.
(30 May 2015, 9:30 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I think it may have been later when Chambers became a strip club. I know it went through a period around the same time, where it was just opening for externally promoted events. I think there was a rave or two on in there?

Did you ever go to Annabel? I obviously caught the tail end of it the years I was able to drink round the town, but it was still a cracking little club. I was gutted to see that one go. It was a well talked about club, and for the right reasons.

Newcastle is the town man Wink.

Aye, Annabells was frequented.
I mainly went to Sunderland for the dj's at Chambers, but did go to the other places on the way or if there was a massive queue or one of us couldn't get in for whatever sackless reason the bouncer came up with.
Wasn't struck on Annabells to be honest.

(30 May 2015, 9:42 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I was never much of a drinker in my formative years. I think the last time I had any alcohol at all was Easter Sunday 2005 and, even then, it was due to a mistake made by the bar staff at The Vulcan in Winlaton (I asked for a pint of Coke and ended up with a pint of Fosters - I tried to give it away but to no avail). As someone who doesn't enjoy drinking, pubs and clubs have never held any real appeal. To be frank, pubs and clubs bore me rigid - I've always been a house-party type of person. So it should come as no surprise when I say I've never ever been on the drink in either Sunderland or Durham. To the best of my knowledge, I've only ever frequented bars located in Newcastle, Winlaton, Whickham, High Spen, Chopwell and Consett on the rare occasions I've been 'out of the piss'.

However, I did hold an affiliation card and used to go 'social clubbing' (albeit without any drinking involved on my part) during my latter teenage years. Social clubbing involves visiting as many clubs as you can during the day - having a drink, a game of pool and a quick game of darts in each venue.

Can't beat a night at the clurb.
Meat hampers, domino handicaps, a turn, cheap pool, cheap beer and darts.
(30 May 2015, 10:35 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Newcastle is the town man Wink.

Aye, Annabells was frequented.
I mainly went to Sunderland for the dj's at Chambers, but did go to the other places on the way or if there was a massive queue or one of us couldn't get in for whatever sackless reason the bouncer came up with.
Wasn't struck on Annabells to be honest.

Can't beat a night at the clurb.
Meat hampers, domino handicaps, a turn, cheap pool, cheap beer and darts.

I used to like a night out down the Big Club in Murton...

I can remember years back, a pint cost 97p and there was hell on when the price went to a Pound...

When I first started drinking in the Club, every seat seemed to be always taken, and I have been told a few times 'You can't sit there, that's old Billys Seat and has been since the dawn of time' and there was also the wonderful rule 'Under no circumstances must you interrupt a game of bingo' and would hacky looks if you won if you weren't a regular in the club Big Grin
Now this is what you call a blast to the past! I bet it confused a few folk when a 194 and X94 pulled into Houghton together. Tongue

[Image: 18990331334_dec2317d35.jpg]C656LJR and FTN708W by C522LJR, on Flickr
(11 Jul 2015, 10:02 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Now this is what you call a blast to the past! I bet it confused a few folk when a 194 and X94 pulled into Houghton together.

That is definately a blast from the past...

Which way did the X94 go to Newcastle, was it the X1 we see and know today?
(11 Jul 2015, 10:02 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Now this is what you call a blast to the past! I bet it confused a few folk when a 194 and X94 pulled into Houghton together. Tongue

I wonder how many residents of Houghton-le-Spring stuck their hands out?  Tongue
(11 Jul 2015, 10:02 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Now this is what you call a blast to the past! I bet it confused a few folk when a 194 and X94 pulled into Houghton together. Tongue

The X94 daytime service was the outcome from the withdrawn service 195, the evening and sunday journeys went secured as a service 165 operated by Ok Travel. later on service 165 became less and less and finally withdrawn.
Remember when Brockley Whins was Boldon Colliery, and MeadowWell was Smith's Park?
[Image: 20441733858_61e3a2fde5.jpg]691E04 by Alan Snatt, on Flickr
(16 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Remember when Brockley Whins was Boldon Colliery, and MeadowWell was Smith's Park?

I can indeed.
Apart from the extensions and new stations, can't think of any other revisions.
(16 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I can indeed.
Apart from the extensions and new stations, can't think of any other revisions.

Gateshead Stadium - Old Fold.
(16 Aug 2015, 7:51 pm)danpick wrote [ -> ]Gateshead Stadium - Old Fold.
I thought it was always called Gateshead Stadium, thought I read somewhere a while back Old Fold was only thought of during the planning of the Systen
(16 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I thought it was always called Gateshead Stadium, thought I read somewhere a while back Old Fold was only thought of during the planning of the Systen

It was. Additionally Fawdon was named Coxlodge in the planning stages too.
(16 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Remember when Brockley Whins was Boldon Colliery, and MeadowWell was Smith's Park?

It's interesting looking at the old map actually. I forgot all about Smith's Park, but as soon as I seen it mentioned here, it re-jogged my mind. 

[Image: OldMetroMaps3.jpg]
(16 Aug 2015, 8:06 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]It's interesting looking at the old map actually. I forgot all about Smith's Park, but as soon as I seen it mentioned here, it re-jogged my mind. 

[Image: OldMetroMaps3.jpg]
What happened to the Red and Blue Line Services?
(16 Aug 2015, 8:07 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]What happened to the Red and Blue Line Services?

Merged into yellow? They seem to follow the yellow line more than the green.
(16 Aug 2015, 8:07 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]What happened to the Red and Blue Line Services?

They are still here as peak time services, merged into the yellow/green lines and run from Pelaw to Regent Centre or Monkseaton rather than Benton.
The Blue Line used to terminate on the third platform at North Shields. The siding is still there although the platform itself is barely accessible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13