North East Buses

Full Version: Emergency Service Changes from 25th September 2021
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]In my 18 or odd so years in my sector we’ve never had absence so bad as we’ve had this past week. Majority aren’t Covid either but this cold bug that is sweeping the area. If it wasn’t for home working and some folk soldiering on from their sofas I’d reckon we’d have been at 45% absence this week.

Indeed - I think the fact it fluctuates so greatly tells you it’s still largely sickness-driven rather than a shortage of staff (although, obviously, without the shortage of staff sickness wouldn’t pose an issue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]In my 18 or odd so years in my sector we’ve never had absence so bad as we’ve had this past week. Majority aren’t Covid either but this cold bug that is sweeping the area. If it wasn’t for home working and some folk soldiering on from their sofas I’d reckon we’d have been at 45% absence this week.

Ye, its the same where I work, along with everything else!
(22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Indeed - I think the fact it fluctuates so greatly tells you it’s still largely sickness-driven rather than a shortage of staff (although, obviously, without the shortage of staff sickness wouldn’t pose an issue).

For me about cancellation's they can cancel a every 12 min route every 24 mins. But its when it comes to routes whcih are every 60 mins 730/X31 while the passengers might not be happy about the 12 min one, the passengers for the every 60 min one would rejoice. Like 730 tomorrow has 240 mins between buses, which afaik no other buses go to anywhere on that route bar Lanchester.
(22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Indeed - I think the fact it fluctuates so greatly tells you it’s still largely sickness-driven rather than a shortage of staff (although, obviously, without the shortage of staff sickness wouldn’t pose an issue).

Everything's coming back now since everything's back to normal.

Ngl it screams like you've been relying on drivers doing overtime to fill the gaps but when things like the football is on they're refusing to come in as they'd rather go to the match (or at least watch it).

(Just an outsider view rather than factual).
(22 Oct 2021, 6:45 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Ngl it screams like you've been relying on drivers doing overtime to fill the gaps but when things like the football is on they're refusing to come in as they'd rather go to the match (or at least watch it).

(Just an outsider view rather than factual).
god knows how they will mange if there is a strike.
Feel sorry for anybody wanting an X1 tomorrow night. The last two journeys from Newcastle are both off.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(22 Oct 2021, 6:57 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]Feel sorry for anybody wanting an X1 tomorrow night. The last two journeys from Newcastle are both off.

That is of course the worst case scenario, as of 15:00 this afternoon.

I’m sure work will go into attempting to cover those journeys, as well as the two final journeys on the 49 and 57, four final journeys on the 96, and the large gap in the 730 during the day tomorrow.

As we saw the other day, the final 50 of the day from Durham was covered in the end - but Go North East are posting the worst case scenario as they continue to try and get shifts covered and/or swapped.

(22 Oct 2021, 7:04 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]That is of course the worst case scenario, as of 15:00 this afternoon.

I’m sure work will go into attempting to cover those journeys, as well as the two final journeys on the 49 and 57, four final journeys on the 96, and the large gap in the 730 during the day tomorrow.

As we saw the other day, the final 50 of the day from Durham was covered in the end - but Go North East are posting the worst case scenario as they continue to try and get shifts covered and/or swapped.

Approximately what percentage of journeys that get posted on the cancellation list end up actually running?

Or, on the flip side, how many journeys that don't appear on the list end up getting cancelled?

(22 Oct 2021, 7:10 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]Approximately what percentage of journeys that get posted on the cancellation list end up actually running?

Or, on the flip side, how many journeys that don't appear on the list end up getting cancelled?

No idea, but when colleagues are working round the clock to get duties covered, the picture at 15:00 the day prior is very much a worst case scenario which only ever tends to get better.

Of course as I said previously, when the huge pressure currently is as a result of staff sickness, there do end up being on the day failures which are difficult to prepare for. When spare (leading) drivers are already allocated to work to avoid large gaps, or first/last buses not being covered, this does mean that on the day failures are harder to cover. These are also the ones you find aren’t reported in advance.

(22 Oct 2021, 7:04 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]That is of course the worst case scenario, as of 15:00 this afternoon.

For the 730 couldn’t they just do driver training over that 4 horus, and just get the driver training to run the route?
(22 Oct 2021, 7:20 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]For the 730 couldn’t they just do driver training over that 4 horus, and just get the driver training to run the route?

Driver Training only work weekdays and tomorrow is a Saturday.

Even still, cancelling Driver Training (resulting in a trainee having their training delayed) is slightly counter-productive, surely… The sooner they get trainees through the school, the sooner there’s one less duty to cancel.

(22 Oct 2021, 7:22 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Driver Training only work weekdays and tomorrow is a Saturday.

Even still, cancelling Driver Training (resulting in a trainee having their training delayed) is slightly counter-productive, surely… The sooner they get trainees through the school, the sooner there’s one less duty to cancel.

Getting shifts swapped is probs the best way, except Consett doesn't have many Every 12 mins service, but instead every 30 mins which Is a further bit of a pain.
(22 Oct 2021, 7:31 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Getting shifts swapped is probs the best way, except Consett doesn't have many Every 12 mins service, but instead every 30 mins which Is a further bit of a pain.

Bus operators generally schedule for cost-efficiency from what I've seen, so drivers are near enough 100% utilised when on the clock. Whilst there's a clear benefit to a business for doing that, it likely removes any operational flexibility in terms of reallocating shifts etc. 

There's also likely to be the matter of proper notice to employees when you're proposing changing their shifts; and you don't get that level of notice if it's to cover sickness absence.
So do GNE give any financial incentive to work overtime? Arriva has always been just standard rate but they've brought in an interim £1.75 an hour enhancement for rest day working for the next month or so. Still a pittance and no incentive for the likes of myself who don't need the money.
(22 Oct 2021, 8:36 pm)Driver9*** wrote [ -> ]So do GNE give any financial incentive to work overtime? Arriva has always been just standard rate but they've brought in an interim £1.75 an hour enhancement for rest day working for the next month or so. Still a pittance and no incentive for the likes of myself who don't need the money.

I'm not a fan of overtime working, but I hadn't realised that 1.5x isn't even offered, which I'd say is pretty much standard elsewhere.
(22 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]I'm not a fan of overtime working, but I hadn't realised that 1.5x isn't even offered, which I'd say is pretty much standard elsewhere.
I think the last time time and a half was on offer was when they were still called United, so early 80's..........

At what point tomorrow, do I decide to go for the 2300 X1 or cut short my evening and plump for the 2200 or 2230?
Is it a case of checking my phone to see if it is running (potentially spoiling my night) or just cutting my losses and heading home early?
(22 Oct 2021, 9:42 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]At what point tomorrow, do I decide to go for the 2300 X1 or cut short my evening and plump for the 2200 or 2230?
Is it a case of checking my phone to see if it is running (potentially spoiling my night) or just cutting my losses and heading home early?
Do Taxis not exist now?
Do taxi's take purple day tickets?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6