North East Buses

Full Version: Destination Displays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(02 Jan 2022, 9:48 am)RMF1254 wrote [ -> ]I would have thought the residents of Great Park would know where the bus goes in the City Centre. The Nexus information at the stops is pretty good also, showing the route and main stops.

Well yes they may know the route but ‘City Centre’ doesn’t tell them how far they’ll get into to the city centre before the bus terminates.
(02 Jan 2022, 12:37 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Well yes they may know the route but ‘City Centre’ doesn’t tell them how far they’ll get into to the city centre before the bus terminates.
The bus stop information provided by Nexus referenced in the above post tells them though.
(02 Jan 2022, 1:04 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]The bus stop information provided by Nexus referenced in the above post tells them though.

…so could the bus’ destination screen. Just saying.
(02 Jan 2022, 2:30 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]…so could the bus’ destination screen. Just saying.

It does - closer to where 'Newgate Street' might make more sense, as I said in my last post.

[Image: 51777110489_855504c00b.jpg]Go North East 6161 / LJ62 KZP by kieron mathews, on Flickr

Until that point, it says 'City Centre', just like every other bus does which terminates in the city, when leaving from another point in Newcastle or Sunderland (and is the case for all operators, not just Go North East).

Stagecoach 36 to City Centre: https://flic.kr/p/2m78uLF
Stagecoach X63 to City Centre: https://flic.kr/p/2mmeBD3
(02 Jan 2022, 2:30 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]…so could the bus’ destination screen. Just saying.
I know exactly what you're saying.

Just clearing up the point that the information as to how far into the City Centre the bus will go is available to the passenger whether it's on the front of the bus or not.

They don't go to the effort of creating and displaying the liners at stops for the fun of it.

Sent from my STK-LX1 using Tapatalk
(02 Jan 2022, 2:36 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]It does - closer to where 'Newgate Street' might make more sense, as I said in my last post.

[Image: 51777110489_855504c00b.jpg]Go North East 6161 / LJ62 KZP by kieron mathews, on Flickr

Until that point, it says 'City Centre', just like every other bus does which terminates in the city, when leaving from another point in Newcastle or Sunderland (and is the case for all operators, not just Go North East).

And of course, it's not just limited to Newcastle and Sunderland....
[Image: 37479706746_8ae61a0596_b.jpg]First South Yorkshire 35131 (SM65 GGE) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr

And one of the best examples until recently was 'Town Centre' on Hartlepool's destinations - brilliant when the last 1 from Middlesbrough terminated there
[Image: 17643424022_e62f672beb_b.jpg]Stagecoach in Hartlepool 34606 (NK04 NPJ) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr
(02 Jan 2022, 2:36 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]It does - closer to where 'Newgate Street' might make more sense, as I said in my last post.

What’s the thought process to thinking, in this example, Gosforth residents at Great Park, Melton Park etc would benefit from seeing ‘City Centre’, but just along the road Gosforth residents boarding at Regents Centre would benefit more from seeing the actual street destination. 

I knew Stagecoach unfortunately displayed ‘City Centre’ on short journeys, and knew you displayed ‘Newcastle’ on services coming from outside of the city and then they updated to something more useful once near or within Newcastle, I was just surprised to see City Centre on a Q3 service.
(02 Jan 2022, 4:09 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]What’s the thought process to thinking, in this example, Gosforth residents at Great Park, Melton Park etc would benefit from seeing ‘City Centre’, but just along the road Gosforth residents boarding at Regents Centre would benefit more from seeing the actual street destination. 

I knew Stagecoach unfortunately displayed ‘City Centre’ on short journeys, and knew you displayed ‘Newcastle’ on services coming from outside of the city and then they updated to something more useful once near or within Newcastle, I was just surprised to see City Centre on a Q3 service.

Exact same thought process to ‘Newcastle’ changing to something else once at Gateshead or Metrocentre…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]They don't go to the effort of creating and displaying the liners at stops for the fun of it.

Yeah I was just surprised that GNE went to the effort of creating a Q3 display that initially says City Centre, then updates shortly after to say Newgate Street, (and presumably at some point asking Emma Higgnet to record ‘City Centre’ rather than using one the relevant street/stop name recordings), when the easier and more useful option was to simply have the destination screen as ‘Q3 Newgate Street’ from the beginning of the route, which in this case is within the City of Newcastle - so it’s not like people would be stood scratching their heads asking where on earth is this Newgate Street of which you speak.

Is the 33 from Jesmond similar?

(02 Jan 2022, 4:19 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Exact same thought process to ‘Newcastle’ changing to something else once at Gateshead or Metrocentre…

…they’re outside of the city. Different case one could argue, but obviously pointless here.
(02 Jan 2022, 4:20 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Yeah I was just surprised that GNE went to the effort of creating a Q3 display that initially says City Centre, then updates shortly after to say Newgate Street, (and presumably at some point asking Emma Higgnet to record ‘City Centre’ rather than using one the relevant street/stop name recordings), when the easier and more useful option was to simply have the destination screen as ‘Q3 Newgate Street’ from the beginning of the route, which in this case is within the City of Newcastle - so it’s not like people would be stood scratching their heads asking where on earth is this Newgate Street of which you speak.

I still feel like this isn't really an issue...

It's standardised with all other operators' destination displays, the information of where in the city the bus terminates is readily available in print (at stop, timetable leaflet) and online, and the destination changes to something more useful once it's closer to the city (14 mins away from the city as opposed to 27 mins) which more customers might be familiar with.

Great Park is very early to be saying 'Newgate Street', which, actually, could be anywhere. I feel your argument would have more substance perhaps if the actual destination was 'Haymarket', which is known far and wide, compared to 'Newgate Street'.

(02 Jan 2022, 4:20 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Is the 33 from Jesmond similar?

It says 'City Centre' all the way. From memory the destinations set in the contract specification at the time of award were 'City Centre'.

In the March 2022 tender for the 33/33A services, Nexus actually specify 'Newcastle' rather than 'Market Street' or 'City Centre'.
(02 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I still feel like this isn't really an issue...

It's standardised with all other operators' destination displays, the information of where in the city the bus terminates is readily available in print (at stop, timetable leaflet) and online, and the destination changes to something more useful once it's closer to the city (14 mins away from the city as opposed to 27 mins) which more customers might be familiar with.

Great Park is very early to be saying 'Newgate Street', which, actually, could be anywhere. I feel your argument would have more substance perhaps if the actual destination was 'Haymarket', which is known far and wide, compared to 'Newgate Street'.

It says 'City Centre' all the way. From memory the destinations set in the contract specification at the time of award were 'City Centre'.

In the March 2022 tender for the 33/33A services, Nexus actually specify 'Newcastle' rather than 'Market Street' or 'City Centre'.

I'm torn on this argument. On one hand, I do think that the displays should show the actual destination, but like you say, are people really going to know where 'Newgate Street' is? Even as someone who is often in Newcastle, I've no sodding clue where it is, to be honest, I don't even know where Market Street is (well, I know how to get there, I just don't know /where/ it is)

I would personally prefer it to have both destinations on the screen from the start, 'Newcastle/City Centre' at the top and then 'Newgate Street' or 'Market Street', or 'Eldon Square' underneath. They can then just drop 'Newcastle/City Centre' and just switch to the actual destination once they get close like they currently do.
Although there probably isn't enough room on the standard height displays to show that, as well as the 'via' locations (do they even still have that, I don't really pay attention)
Well then as Sunderland and County Durham residents maybe you aren’t best suited to second guess if Newcastle residents know their city centre streets? Just a thought.
In this case their bus route serves those street names so greater chance they would know them.

(02 Jan 2022, 4:47 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I'm torn on this argument. On one hand, I do think that the displays should show the actual destination, but like you say, are people really going to know where 'Newgate Street' is? Even as someone who is often in Newcastle, I've no sodding clue where it is, to be honest, I don't even know where Market Street is (well, I know how to get there, I just don't know /where/ it is)

I would personally prefer it to have both destinations on the screen from the start, 'Newcastle/City Centre' at the top and then 'Newgate Street' or 'Market Street', or 'Eldon Square' underneath. They can then just drop 'Newcastle/City Centre' and just switch to the actual destination once they get close like they currently do.
Although there probably isn't enough room on the standard height displays to show that, as well as the 'via' locations (do they even still have that, I don't really pay attention)

Nah, you see then they wouldn’t have room to put things like ‘every X mins’…. which oh wait, is information available at the bus stop and online…
(02 Jan 2022, 4:53 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Well then as Sunderland and County Durham residents maybe you aren’t best suited to second guess if Newcastle residents know their city centre streets? Just a thought.
In this case their bus route serves those street names so greater chance they would know them.

Very presumptuous of you! Just because you know, doesn't mean to say everyone else will.

I maintain my previous statement that I don't see the issue here. It feels like you've created a mountain out of a molehill, when, actually, Go North East are doing exactly what you want them to do, albeit from a later point in the route. More than what any other operator, certainly in our region, does.

At least it's given you an opportunity to be sarcastic and have a pop, unnecessarily...
(02 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Very presumptuous of you! Just because you know, doesn't mean to say everyone else will.

I maintain my previous statement that I don't see the issue here. It feels like you've created a mountain out of a molehill, when, actually, Go North East are doing exactly what you want them to do, albeit from a later point in the route. More than what any other operator, certainly in our region, does.

At least it's given you an opportunity to be sarcastic and have a pop, unnecessarily...

Well it started as a simple thought or suggestion to improve things but as per usual its taken as a personal attack and shot down or argued against to the Nth degree. Sorry for responding to your points.
(02 Jan 2022, 4:53 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Well then as Sunderland and County Durham residents maybe you aren’t best suited to second guess if Newcastle residents know their city centre streets? Just a thought.

Nah, you see then they wouldn’t have room to put things like ‘every X mins’…. which oh wait, is information available at the bus stop and online…

Don't bloody drag me into this!
I think it should have both options, with a slight preference towards having the actual destination throughout!
(02 Jan 2022, 5:23 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Well it started as a simple thought or suggestion to improve things but as per usual its taken as a personal attack and shot down or argued against to the Nth degree. Sorry for responding to your points.
Would have thought Daniel would have preferred chatting about bacon or bacon sandwiches than responding to your thoughts or suggestions.
To be honest, he went a bit funny last week too. I put it down to too many lemonades, but hopefully he will be OK in the next couple of days. I'd hope for the next 3 weeks anyway.
(02 Jan 2022, 9:31 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Would have thought Daniel would have preferred chatting about bacon or bacon sandwiches than responding to your thoughts or suggestions.
To be honest, he went a bit funny last week too. I put it down to too many lemonades, but hopefully he will be OK in the next couple of days. I'd hope for the next 3 weeks anyway.

I almost forgot!

Just for you, Andreos, I’ve posted about bacon elsewhere on the forum.

Those double lemonades just keep going to my head…

Did someone say bacon....?
(02 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I almost forgot!

Just for you, Andreos, I’ve posted about bacon elsewhere on the forum.

Those double lemonades just keep going to my head…

Good lad. 
Watch out for those chewy gristly bits.

(02 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Did someone say bacon....?
Back bacon sizzling away.
(01 Jan 2022, 9:00 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]‘Q3 to City Centre’?

https://flic.kr/p/2mUDd6G

Is that Barras Bridge, Eldon Sq, Market St, or Quayside?

Thanks for getting the views up on my photo...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6