North East Buses

Full Version: GNE - Paint Contractors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's a question.........why do GNE use BCW Blackburn to repaint vehicles (even with no refurbs) when Thornton Bros is only on the doorstep?
(25 Jan 2022, 4:57 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Here's a question.........why do GNE use BCW Blackburn to repaint vehicles (even with no refurbs) when Thornton Bros is only on the doorstep?

I think that's been answered on here before, and I think it was just down to availability
Capacity, timescales and costs?

Just because there's a company around the corner doesn't mean they're always the best option at that given time.
(25 Jan 2022, 5:04 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Capacity, timescales and costs?

Just because there's a company around the corner doesn't mean they're always the best option at that given time.

Why do they even outsource it at all when they have Saltmeadows that can do it!
(25 Jan 2022, 5:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Why do they even outsource it at all when they have Saltmeadows that can do it!

For the same reasons? 

Capacity isn't unlimited at Saltmeadows, so if they need X buses done by Y, I'd imagine that they have little choice other than to outsource it to contractors.
(25 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]For the same reasons? 

Capacity isn't unlimited at Saltmeadows, so if they need X buses done by Y, I'd imagine that they have little choice other than to outsource it to contractors.
ANd also while Saltmeadows isn't the smallest, if they increase the size/team for paint jobs, those extra paint bays aren't always going to be full. Probs cheaper to outsource than add more capacity to Saltmeadows.
(25 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm)Omega54 wrote [ -> ]ANd also while Saltmeadows isn't the smallest, if they increase the size/team for paint jobs, those extra paint bays aren't always going to be full. Probs cheaper to outsource than add more capacity to Saltmeadows.
That maybe true but then they could in theory bring in extra revenue but doing paint jobs for other companies.
(28 Jan 2022, 2:06 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]That maybe true but then they could in theory bring in extra revenue but doing paint jobs for other companies.
Depends how much capacity is required by those other companies ......   If Saltmeadows can do it cheaper, or better, or quicker, then you may be able to build a business case, otherwise they'll just be competing with established companies doing that work, potentially too much capacity in the market, and the less successful one(s) will go to the wall.
(28 Jan 2022, 2:06 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]That maybe true but then they could in theory bring in extra revenue but doing paint jobs for other companies.

I'm not sure any of the big 4 (excluding GoAhead) or the London operators would touch a GoAhead company to do their paint work unless they seriously undercut the competition or there's no other alternative tbh.
(30 Jan 2022, 10:55 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure any of the big 4 (excluding GoAhead) or the London operators would touch a GoAhead company to do their paint work unless they seriously undercut the competition or there's no other alternative tbh.

Hants and Dorset have done work for both Arriva and Tower Transit
(30 Jan 2022, 11:11 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Hants and Dorset have done work for both Arriva and Tower Transit

Ah that's fair, hold my hands up guess I was wrong there and they don't care as much as other industries.
Both buses look very red to me.  Maybe not as bad as having an Arriva blue bus in there
Weren't their rumours of GNE having a falling out with VDL, because Arriva were the authorised partner?
Apparently GNE didn't appreciate Arriva vans pulling up to help them out when the Cadets needed work or parts.
If true, the sort of small minded mentality and pettiness that exists in the bus industry.
(31 Jan 2022, 6:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Weren't their rumours of GNE having a falling out with VDL, because Arriva were the authorised partner?
Apparently GNE didn't appreciate Arriva vans pulling up to help them out when the Cadets needed work or parts.
If true, the sort of small minded mentality and pettiness that exists in the bus industry.
But if you think about it, how is it going to look a rival bus partner coming to fix a rival companies bus
(31 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm)Omega54 wrote [ -> ]But if you think about it, how is it going to look a rival bus partner coming to fix a rival companies bus

Perhaps it'll look like working in the best interests to get the customer from A to B?
(31 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Perhaps it'll look like working in the best interests to get the customer from A to B?
Personally if I saw it I would think oh GNE can't do anything/they don't ahve the parts so arriva has to rescue them.
(31 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm)Omega54 wrote [ -> ]But if you think about it, how is it going to look a rival bus partner coming to fix a rival companies bus
Depends if you're open minded or not.
(31 Jan 2022, 6:26 pm)Omega54 wrote [ -> ]Personally if I saw it I would think oh GNE can't do anything/they don't ahve the parts so arriva has to rescue them.

Majority of punters wouldn't give it a second thought. I'd imagine the vans would be going to depots, rather than attending a roadside breakdown, so the chances of the public even seeing it would be slim to none.
(31 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Majority of punters wouldn't give it a second thought. I'd imagine the vans would be going to depots, rather than attending a roadside breakdown, so the chances of the public even seeing it would be slim to none.
Whereas if this happened... Shit would go down! 
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/statu...5ZXNJEyv4Q&s=19
(31 Jan 2022, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Whereas if this happened... Shit would go down! 
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/statu...5ZXNJEyv4Q&s=19

Lol, when I worked at Asda at the Galleries they told us not to fill up at Sainsbury's.
Pages: 1 2