North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Minor Service Changes August 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The 61's a weird one.
The buses are branded as Violet
The SNCs still call it Blue
The service list and page on the website features no branding at all

No idea what the NSAs say as I've not been on the 61 since the changes. But yes, it's not great having 'buses fit for the future' being cut back, or completely withdrawn a single-digit number of months later. Now with these changes announced - how can I even be confident my bus route to X will even exist next week? I can understand emergency and temporary frequency cuts, but cutting limbs off a route, and cancelling a route entirely with just 4 days' notice isn't good.
(04 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm)You Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]Well you’ve hit the nail on the head here for me.

Firstly, ‘driver resource issues’ have been going on for months so why did they even start the X11 or even mitigation perhaps with just a Saturday/Sunday timetable so that weekday buses were not impacted. I said yesterday that I was, all things considered, supportive of the X11 being withdrawn but I am surprised at the cancellation of a service which does heavy loads (full buses on some trips) at a time when we’re told things are tight financially.

Secondly, promotion of services vastly needs to improve. I’ve said it before on here but 65 going half hourly, Sunday buses and later evening journeys for the first time in ten years was a big deal, but apart from being listed in a big long list of bus changes I’ve never seen GNE social media/marketing teams mention it once. I remember being told marketing was planned for this service (perhaps a few others) but nothing materialised and the less than 12 months later, Sunday buses stripped right back and evening journeys binned. I almost forgot about the X6 Hartlepool extension and the X7 going to Oakerside yet another example and there’s many more across the network. 

Thirdly, I’ve said before that I do overall like the branding of services but you’re right in the fact it doesn’t work when things are constantly changing. I’ve raised before about services the 2/2A & the 61 which have had that many different names, identities and coloured buses they should be part of LGBT pride, as it’s a rainbow of mixture colours from silver, red, blue, purple, pink, green etc. None of that is an effective use of branding. And whilst it was unsurprisingly due to the withdrawal of the 55, the 61 changing from ‘Blue’ to ‘Violet’ overnight only highlights such ineffectiveness. 

In each of these three cases it’s just sheer short sightedness and zero stability. I appreciate things change and best laid plans etc. but it just seems that things at the drop of a hat. There should only be a deviation from original plans in exceptional circumstances whereas at GNE it seems strategy, marketing and operations change almost weekly.
Because of Go North constant messing about first Darlington then Hartlepool have lost Go North East completely despite both having had a service of some sort going back to the 1930s at least. The X6 pretty much had the same problem as the X10 and X1 in that they was only a few minutes between that and what was then the X5. Add in the fact it was an exact copy of the 23 route between the Marina and Peterlee and it was asking for trouble despite at least 3 other ways it could have left Hartlepool by before the coast road up to Blackhall.  I actually went to Seaham on it and it was a decent ride but it seemed like it was set up to fail they was absolutely no promotion the service at all if I wasn’t an enthusiastic on here I would have just assumed they where just putting solos on the X5.  That’s another thing it wonder the 55 went it was constantly getting messed about with. Since it started in 2006 up till 2016 it had very little in changes possibly a better name than fast cats as  it took forever but it worked ok. Then within 3 years it had had 3 different service numbers was constantly getting messed about with and they messed about with other services to compete with it. It worked fine as the X35 then they changed it to the X5 which made some sense so they could us the same brand then it got changed again to the 55 with a 55A for a short while as well.  

Let’s not forgot the mess they have made with the X10 either.  

Worked fine as the X9 X10 working together with a combined 30 minute frequency.  So of course they had to then mess about with it. Constantly taking the X9 off then bringing it back. Then bringing them awful coaches in so it was made difficult for people with disabilities. Now combining the X9 and X10 both which were often full anyway into one service adding another 15 - 20 minutes to it and then reducing so it will be impossible to enjoy the ride. 

Basically a big eff you to anyone south of Peterlee despite been go north east they really don’t care about a large part of it although saying that they don’t care much about East Durham either ( apart from the begging bowl to Durham country council that is ). 
let’s not the whole farce over the X84 X85 or is it 684 and 685 as it’s probably by the time I have managed to keep up or the constant axing of services.
 Do you know which brand the service is this week although it don’t matter because a Tyne Valley 10 will probably be having a day out on the Angel 21 while an Angel 21 will be travelling down to Middlesbrough on Xlines X10 while one of the Xlines X10 is pretending it’s an East  Gateshead Orbit or whatever name it is this week. City Rider 56 will be board so it will pretend it’s a Prince Bishop while the Venture will have a day as Peterlee whatever brand it it today.  Providing of course they even have enough drivers left to actually drive them or they not getting painted into the latest brand idea.  
The management won’t care though they will be to busy saying we can’t be bothered running this service use Arriva instead then be wondering why passenger numbers are falling.  That is the exact state of Go North east at the minute.
(04 Aug 2022, 7:49 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]Because of Go North constant messing about first Darlington then Hartlepool have lost Go North East completely despite both having had a service of some sort going back to the 1930s at least. The X6 pretty much had the same problem as the X10 and X1 in that they was only a few minutes between that and what was then the X5. Add in the fact it was an exact copy of the 23 route between the Marina and Peterlee and it was asking for trouble despite at least 3 other ways it could have left Hartlepool by before the coast road up to Blackhall.  I actually went to Seaham on it and it was a decent ride but it seemed like it was set up to fail they was absolutely no promotion the service at all if I wasn’t an enthusiastic on here I would have just assumed they where just putting solos on the X5.  That’s another thing it wonder the 55 went it was constantly getting messed about with. Since it started in 2006 up till 2016 it had very little in changes possibly a better name than fast cats as  it took forever but it worked ok. Then within 3 years it had had 3 different service numbers was constantly getting messed about with and they messed about with other services to compete with it. It worked fine as the X35 then they changed it to the X5 which made some sense so they could us the same brand then it got changed again to the 55 with a 55A for a short while as well.  

Let’s not forgot the mess they have made with the X10 either.  

Worked fine as the X9 X10 working together with a combined 30 minute frequency.  So of course they had to then mess about with it. Constantly taking the X9 off then bringing it back. Then bringing them awful coaches in so it was made difficult for people with disabilities. Now combining the X9 and X10 both which were often full anyway into one service adding another 15 - 20 minutes to it and then reducing so it will be impossible to enjoy the ride. 

Basically a big eff you to anyone south of Peterlee despite been go north east they really don’t care about a large part of it although saying that they don’t care much about East Durham either ( apart from the begging bowl to Durham country council that is ). 
let’s not the whole farce over the X84 X85 or is it 684 and 685 as it’s probably by the time I have managed to keep up or the constant axing of services.
 Do you know which brand the service is this week although it don’t matter because a Tyne Valley 10 will probably be having a day out on the Angel 21 while an Angel 21 will be travelling down to Middlesbrough on Xlines X10 while one of the Xlines X10 is pretending it’s an East  Gateshead Orbit or whatever name it is this week. City Rider 56 will be board so it will pretend it’s a Prince Bishop while the Venture will have a day as Peterlee whatever brand it it today.  Providing of course they even have enough drivers left to actually drive them or they not getting painted into the latest brand idea.  
The management won’t care though they will be to busy saying we can’t be bothered running this service use Arriva instead then be wondering why passenger numbers are falling.  That is the exact state of Go North east at the minute.
You've summed up basically everything wrong with GNE, Personally I do like branding services, and I could say I would want every service branding, but obviously not every service will be, however if you are going to brand a service you are going to try and stick the allocated buses on it, I mean Deptford is the worse, its a disgrace. Really there should never be a branded bus on another route except in rare circumstances, if you have a branded route it should not interwork with any other service on a Sunday, I would allow evenings. However if a branded bus isn't available a Corporate Spare buses should be used or paint an extra bus as a dedicated spare e.g 60 5369 or 76.
I got the X6 from Hartlepool shortly before it was cut (just to say I'd done it). It seemed to take forever to get out of Hartlepool.
(04 Aug 2022, 7:56 pm)F114TML wrote [ -> ]I got the X6 from Hartlepool shortly before it was cut (just to say I'd done it). It seemed to take forever to get out of Hartlepool.
It’s not that bad it only goes though Hart Station.  I have done the 56 now that really is taking forever to get out of Sunderland.  Half an hour after leaving the interchange ( that’s after going back on itself) it seems your still in Sunderland.
(04 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]It’s not that bad it only goes though Hart Station.  I have done the 56 now that really is taking forever to get out of Sunderland.  Half an hour after leaving the interchange ( that’s after going back on itself) it seems your still in Sunderland.
56 is such a awful route, especially leaving sunderland around Southwick etc, it takes 30-40 mins to get to Concord.

tbf the 56 is generally route just drags, similar to the 20 through Rainton, East Rainton
(04 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]It’s not that bad it only goes though Hart Station.  I have done the 56 now that really is taking forever to get out of Sunderland.  Half an hour after leaving the interchange ( that’s after going back on itself) it seems your still in Sunderland.
Wait, where does the 56 go back on itself in Sunderland?
The 56 is the wrong route to compare. Anyone who uses that end to end either has nothing better to do or is obsessed with buses. There's absolutely no reason to do it end to end. Similar to the 1, 10 and 27 just to name a few.
(04 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm)F114TML wrote [ -> ]Wait, where does the 56 go back on itself in Sunderland?

At the start of the route it seems to leave the interchange then go though part of the centre only to go past the interchange again.
(04 Aug 2022, 8:54 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]At the start of the route it seems to leave the interchange then go though part of the centre only to go past the interchange again.
It doesn't, it leaves the interchange, goes along Vine Place, Fawcett Street then over the rover. Coming back it crosses the river, goes past Keel Square and the university and into the interchange.

Not sure if you're describing a previous route it took though.

(04 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]The 56 is the wrong route to compare. Anyone who uses that end to end either has nothing better to do or is obsessed with buses. There's absolutely no reason to do it end to end. Similar to the 1, 10 and 27 just to name a few.
I used to get the 56 on a night between Newcastle and SoL, simply because the bus stop was closer to my flat than the metro stop. I didn't mind the longer journey time and extra £2 fare, I didn't really want to walk from the Metro.
(04 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]The 56 is the wrong route to compare. Anyone who uses that end to end either has nothing better to do or is obsessed with buses. There's absolutely no reason to do it end to end. Similar to the 1, 10 and 27 just to name a few.
Tbf I don't mind the 27 I can relex charge my phone, however the 1 just I hate it goes in and out. 56 a lot of people do, do it the full way. 

Just because you do it doesn't mean you're obsessed with buses, you might prefer the 27. Also isn't the 27 the fastest way on public transport to get there atleast the most direct? The Metro you have to change. The 10 is only takes around 1 hour 10-20 mins and for £1.80 its a steal
(04 Aug 2022, 7:55 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]You've summed up basically everything wrong with GNE, Personally I do like branding services, and I could say I would want every service branding, but obviously not every service will be, however if you are going to brand a service you are going to try and stick the allocated buses on it, I mean Deptford is the worse, its a disgrace. Really there should never be a branded bus on another route except in rare circumstances, if you have a branded route it should not interwork with any other service on a Sunday, I would allow evenings. However if a branded bus isn't available a Corporate Spare buses should be used or paint an extra bus as a dedicated spare e.g 60 5369 or 76.
Or maybe now is the time for a back to basics approach with all branding (bar a generic 'X-Lines' livery) dropped and returned to corporate?

But that's another discussion
(04 Aug 2022, 9:06 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Or maybe now is the time for a back to basics approach with all branding (bar a generic 'X-Lines' livery) dropped and returned to corporate?

But that's another discussion
Or maybe GNE only brand service which aren't changing e.g 10/10/10B/27/56/20/60. Then as more routes hopefully make money then they take the step to branding them? 

Personally I would love to see the 50 branded
(04 Aug 2022, 8:57 pm)F114TML wrote [ -> ]I used to get the 56 on a night between Newcastle and SoL, simply because the bus stop was closer to my flat than the metro stop. I didn't mind the longer journey time and extra £2 fare, I didn't really want to walk from the Metro.

Aye that's fair enough like, must admit the Metro at night isn't great like to be fair.

(04 Aug 2022, 9:05 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Tbf I don't mind the 27 I can relex charge my phone, however the 1 just I hate it goes in and out. 56 a lot of people do, do it the full way. 

Just because you do it doesn't mean you're obsessed with buses, you might prefer the 27. Also isn't the 27 the fastest way on public transport to get there atleast the most direct? The Metro you have to change. The 10 is only takes around 1 hour 10-20 mins and for £1.80 its a steal

I don't believe for a second that a lot of people do the 56 from Monument (give or take) to Park Lane. It's not a sensible route at all it takes 80 minutes vs 31 minutes on the Metro it's just not comparable at all and personally I think anyone who would openly do that has way too much spare time.

Metro beats the 27
Train beats the 10

Both by big margins aswell.

27: 74 Mins, Metro: 29 Mins
10: 75 Mins, Train: 34 Mins, 685: 51 Mins

Or maybe perhaps… they’re using it end to end for the same reason anyone would? To go to those places. Shock horror!
(04 Aug 2022, 9:27 pm)ALavery wrote [ -> ]Or maybe perhaps… they’re using it end to end for the same reason anyone would? To go to those places. Shock horror!
If I am on day out and want to go to Newcastle from Sunderland I have very little options. I don’t fancy wasting time leaving the interchange to try find where the X24 might stop only to find I have to wait 30 -60 minutes when the 56 is every 12 minutes or so.   So yeah your correct people do it end to end for that reason.
i hate the metro never had a good experience on it day or night, I would rather be on the 27 for 65 mins than the metro for 30 mins.
(04 Aug 2022, 9:05 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Tbf I don't mind the 27 I can relex charge my phone, however the 1 just I hate it goes in and out. 56 a lot of people do, do it the full way. 

Not sure where you got the idea that the 10 costs £1.80 from Newcastle to Hexham anyway - it's actually £3.80.
(04 Aug 2022, 9:27 pm)ALavery wrote [ -> ]Or maybe perhaps… they’re using it end to end for the same reason anyone would? To go to those places. Shock horror!

Shock horror! or maybe people value their life and use the Metro.

It's no wonder public transport is f**ked when people literally see the Metro as competition. It's so fundamentally wrong in every way.
(04 Aug 2022, 9:41 pm)Thomas12 wrote [ -> ]Not sure where you got the idea that the 10 costs £1.80 from Newcastle to Hexham anyway - it's actually £3.80.
Its £2.00 one way, £1.80 was before the price rises. £3.80 is for a return
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5