North East Buses

Full Version: £2 Price Cap, Jan - March' 23
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just seen this has been announced this morning that all bus fares in England will be capped at £2 for a single

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62775639

Should be some large discounts for some passengers, be interesting to see if it ever ends or it's something that just keeps getting extended and extended.
(03 Sep 2022, 10:45 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Just seen this has been announced this morning that all bus fares in England will be capped at £2 for a single

Should be some large discounts for some passengers, be interesting to see if it ever ends or it's something that just keeps getting extended and extended.

I want to see some positives in this, but can only see it as a 'sticking plaster'. Just like the gas/electric support. 
Ultimately, the problem isn't fixed.

I'd hope it was the start of something more positive and longer term.
(03 Sep 2022, 10:45 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Just seen this has been announced this morning that all bus fares in England will be capped at £2 for a single

So, this is coming with support.

I wonder if GNE X10 being £2 would make it even more busier than it can be. Really GNE should push this too the moon.
(03 Sep 2022, 10:57 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]So, this is coming with support.

I wonder if GNE X10 being £2 would make it even more busier than it can be. Really GNE should push this too the moon.

Arriva have far more to gain from this initiative than Go North East.

Go North East and Stagecoach’s fares are already pretty close to this fare cap. The X10 is an exception to the rule really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very eye-catching stuff. The most telling quote coming from CPT where it appears no mechanism has been established to reimburse operators
(03 Sep 2022, 12:03 pm)DeltaMan wrote [ -> ]Very eye-catching stuff. The most telling quote coming from CPT where it appears no mechanism has been established to reimburse operators

Because its coming straight from Grant Shapps' arse. They'll be watching the Manchester and West Yorkshire schemes and copying them.
(03 Sep 2022, 12:03 pm)DeltaMan wrote [ -> ]Very eye-catching stuff. The most telling quote coming from CPT where it appears no mechanism has been established to reimburse operators
What could possibly go right?
I don't know about anyone else, but this will make absolutely no difference to me. It's still going to be cheaper for me to get a day ticket than take advantage of the single tickets
A day ticket is almost always going to be cheaper if you're making connections though. If you're going direct on a single service and a day ticket is cheaper than a return or single, then something is horrifically wrong.
I can see operators creating flat fares to compensate. It's already close to the £2 mark for me to get the bus the relatively short distance to fram from the arnison centre or city centre, on GNE. Arriva is a lot cheaper, though.
(03 Sep 2022, 3:34 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]I can see operators creating flat fares to compensate. It's already close to the £2 mark for me to get the bus the relatively short distance to fram from the arnison centre or city centre, on GNE. Arriva is a lot cheaper, though.

I have a feeling that Transport North East or whatever name it is this week will fund it beyond March personally if they see growth from their funds somewhere. Similar to what's happened in West Yorkshire and Manchester. I believe there was plans already to do it anyway at some point.
No political reason why Somerset cap is £1 and not £2...
(05 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]No political reason why Somerset cap is £1 and not £2...

The cap in Somerset isn't/won't be £1. It'll be the same £2 as everyone else.

The County Council are funding the £1 fare for the Taunton Park & Ride initially and looking at introducing it on some other routes. It's likely coming from the £11.9m they were awarded for their Bus Service Improvement Plan, as one of their proposals was a 'Reduced flat fare ‘£1 around town’ trials across Somerset town networks'

It's really not sustainable. Neither is the £2 cap. Not unless the Govt have a huge change of heart and properly fund buses. If they and others are going to burn money like this, they may as well start swinging that axe now.
(05 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]The cap in Somerset isn't/won't be £1. It'll be the same £2 as everyone else.

The County Council are funding the £1 fare for the Taunton Park & Ride initially and looking at introducing it on some other routes. It's likely coming from the £11.9m they were awarded for their Bus Service Improvement Plan, as one of their proposals was a 'Reduced flat fare ‘£1 around town’ trials across Somerset town networks'

It's really not sustainable. Neither is the £2 cap. Not unless the Govt have a huge change of heart and properly fund buses. If they and others are going to burn money like this, they may as well start swinging that axe now.
BBC reported the £1 as the flat single fare throughout Somerset this morning, not surprised if they didn't confirm that before whacking it on their web upload. 
I can't see it working, cap initiatives rarely do, and for three months it may prove popular, but if the bus you go for is cancelled, immediately it loses the attraction. A quick look over the plethora of cancellations today offers little hope of any stability during the promotional period. 

As you say, a clear and permanent strategy is needed, however with this cabal in power, there are no long term policies towards public transport...
IMO, if you're going to subsidise bus fares down to £1 or £2, then at that point you might as well just make them free.
(05 Sep 2022, 5:35 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]IMO, if you're going to subsidise bus fares down to £1 or £2, then at that point you might as well just make them free.
Or you could just give companies free diesel / electric power.

Because if say 20 people get on at £2, thats £40, drivers salary & bus maintenance + backroom staff.*

* if the route is an hour
(05 Sep 2022, 5:35 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]IMO, if you're going to subsidise bus fares down to £1 or £2, then at that point you might as well just make them free.

I disagree with this like.  Those OAPs who put there hand out for the bus, it sops.  Engine ideating, they get on sit down then immediately ring the bell to get off at the next stop...... they would all of a sudden find the ability to walk to 100 metres i bet if they had to pay. Nowt should be free

Personally flat rates don't work outside urban areas as the urban fares aren't particular cheap if it's Low Fell to Gateshead for example but outside of it, it's stupidly cheap.

It should be based on milage imo, £1.00 + 10p per mile with a maximum fare of £4.50 or something along those lines with zoned caps, similar to oyster so it's all automatically calculated once some form smart card is done.

Journey, Single (Return)

Byker to Newcastle, £1.20 (£1.80)
Low Fell to Newcastle, £1.50 (£2.75)
Cramlington to Newcastle, £2.00 (£3.00)
Consett to Newcastle, £2.50 (£3.75)
Ashington to Newcastle, £3.00 (£4.50)
Durham to Newcastle, £3.00 (£4.50)
Berwick to Newcastle, £4.50 (£6.75)

They all seem fair fares to me and more reasonable.
(05 Sep 2022, 6:57 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Personally flat rates don't work outside urban areas as the urban fares aren't particular cheap if it's Low Fell to Gateshead for example but outside of it, it's stupidly cheap.

It should be based on milage imo, £1.00 + 10p per mile with a maximum fare of £4.50 or something along those lines with zoned caps, similar to oyster so it's all automatically calculated once some form smart card is done.

Journey, Single (Return)

Byker to Newcastle, £1.20 (£1.80)
Low Fell to Newcastle, £1.50 (£2.75)
Cramlington to Newcastle, £2.00 (£3.00)
Consett to Newcastle, £2.50 (£3.75)
Ashington to Newcastle, £3.00 (£4.50)
Durham to Newcastle, £3.00 (£4.50)
Berwick to Newcastle, £4.50 (£6.75)

They all seem fair fares to me and more reasonable.

Totally agree, my point was more that if you're spending that much money subsidising the fares, you might as well just subsidise the lot.
(05 Sep 2022, 7:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Totally agree, my point was more that if you're spending that much money subsidising the fares, you might as well just subsidise the lot.

Yeah can't disagree not to mention the backlash when the likes of Arriva will have when the fares suddenly triple overnight when it eventually ends as it's impossible for them to keep the fares.

Just throws them under the bus imo, not to mention the issue of the likes of the X10/X15/X18 filled up with cheap fare punters who'll be gone when it does go back up causing capacity problems.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5