North East Buses

Full Version: Snow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the snow starting I wondered whether GNE/ANE/SCNE have anything inplace in case a bus/driver got trapped in the snow, I remember I think a 56 came off the road near Nissan, or when a NIS Quaylink wedged itself inbetween another Q3 & a building.

Especially in Hexham I wonder if GNE could maybe come to an agreement with locals who may own tractors to help them recover buses.
"Due to all the snow on the ground today, all of our services are cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience."
Arriva will shout "snow will not stop Arriva!" in a Facebook post then pull the entire network a few hours later when numerous buses are stuck, several end up in ditches and half the routes are under 12ft snow drifts.

That was February 2018...
(08 Dec 2022, 8:12 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]With the snow starting I wondered whether GNE/ANE/SCNE have anything inplace in case a bus/driver got trapped in the snow, I remember I think a 56 came off the road near Nissan, or when a NIS Quaylink wedged itself inbetween another Q3 & a building.

Especially in Hexham I wonder if GNE could maybe come to an agreement with locals who may own tractors to help them recover buses.
In a word no - Too many legalities, and too much damage could be caused by trying to improperly pull or tow a bus without knowledge, and that's even before you get to trying to move the weight of bus with a tractor or similar - it's just a non-starter in every aspect.  Companies like Alpha make it look easy because they know what they're doing, not because it is simple matter of hooking up and pulling away.
Spare set of snow tyres for each vehicle.
(08 Dec 2022, 11:51 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]Arriva will shout "snow will not stop Arriva!" in a Facebook post then pull the entire network a few hours later when numerous buses are stuck, several end up in ditches and half the routes are under 12ft snow drifts.

That was February 2018...
That's every time there is a big snow fall!
I was on an Omnidekka today, there was a strip of water running all the way down the bus on either side and water were dripping on people's head, not to mention the frost and ice inside the bus on the windows. God that bus was cold.
(09 Dec 2022, 9:23 pm)nova347 wrote [ -> ]I was on an Omnidekka today, there was a strip of water running all the way down the bus on either side and water were dripping on people's head, not to mention the frost and ice inside the bus on the windows. God that bus was cold.

Get yourself on one of the old X1 B9s and sit in the far corner.
Just not in the summer. You might melt.

Didn't note the fleet numbers, but definitely in my top 5 hot buses.
I remember being on either 3962 or 3965 on the 21 shortly after we moved house and shortly before the Streetdecks entered service, and it was literally freezing inside.
(09 Dec 2022, 9:23 pm)nova347 wrote [ -> ]I was on an Omnidekka today, there was a strip of water running all the way down the bus on either side and water were dripping on people's head, not to mention the frost and ice inside the bus on the windows. God that bus was cold.
Remember catching B7TL 6038 on the X21 few year back and it was raining more inside than out, cold too.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5McGACBSVl&id=100002639618237

Saw this on Facebook (a 28 struggling to get up a hill) due to the snow causing the bus to drift.
What you need is a certain bus driver who in early 2010 drove the Arriva X4 to show everyone how to do it.
(13 Mar 2023, 6:43 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]What you need is a certain bus driver who in early 2010 drove the Arriva X4 to show everyone how to do it.

the handling of that bank was proper class