North East Buses

Full Version: Dead Runs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Go North East are losing money so why not create dead runs into services which basically run the dead route. Only routes where I would add dead run routes will be here

Q3 you could do the XQ3 or smth and presumably it runs via the A1 so why not run the XQ3 Metrocentre - Great Park at peak times. Tbh that could be a park and ride for the metrocentre. 

X1, for starts at Easington Lane/Peterlee I dont think there is a lot you can do, as a lot of them would just go on the A19 from the Depot so that would be useless I think. Unless you were to do the early mornings from Easington Lane to start at Dalton Park. 

X6 - any runs from Peterlee to the Depot should just run the X6 Service back. 

X21 - West Auckland to Riverside Dead runs, West Auckland - Bishop Aukland - Durham - A690 - A1 - Gateshead. 

2/2A - any dead runs to and from silksworth should just be either the 33 or 35A

6 - Dead runs to and from metro should operate the X45 to Metrocentre/Consett 

10/10A/10B/643 - any service which runs dead from Metrocentre/Riverside to Hexham should be called the 10X and just literally two stops Metrocentre & Hexham Bus Station, thats it Via A1 & A69. 

20/20A - any dead runs to and from durham should be named the X20 and just literally run Sunderland - Doxford Park (X1 Route) then Non-Stop to Durham vice versa

21 - Any dead 21 runs from Durham to Riverside, just call them the X21 and do the X21 route to Newcastle. 

39/39A/39B - any dead runs to/from Doxford Park, run it as the X20 to Doxford (vice versa), aswell 39B dead runs to and from Washington run it as the 8. 

58 - Any dead runs to/from Gateshead run as the X58 from Follingsby or even Concord. 

60 - Any Dead runs from New Seaham run it the way it would go dead name it 60A or smth

78 - any dead runs to/from CLS run as X78

All of these may only get a few passengers but really atleast thats some income and routes the drivers would basically already be doing dead. And you never know routes like the XQ3 (or whatever) may actually have some potential in them.
(17 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Go North East are losing money so why not create dead runs into services which basically run the dead route. Only routes where I would add dead run routes will be here

Q3 you could do the XQ3 or smth and presumably it runs via the A1 so why not run the XQ3 Metrocentre - Great Park at peak times. Tbh that could be a park and ride for the metrocentre. 

X1, for starts at Easington Lane/Peterlee I dont think there is a lot you can do, as a lot of them would just go on the A19 from the Depot so that would be useless I think. Unless you were to do the early mornings from Easington Lane to start at Dalton Park. 

X21 - West Auckland to Riverside Dead runs, West Auckland - Bishop Aukland - Durham - A690 - A1 - Gateshead. 

10/10A/10B/643 - any service which runs dead from Metrocentre/Riverside to Hexham should be called the 10X and just literally two stops Metrocentre & Hexham Bus Station, thats it Via A1 & A69. 

20/20A - any dead runs to and from durham should be named the X20 and just literally run Sunderland - Doxford Park (X1 Route) then Non-Stop to Durham vice versa

21 - Any dead 21 runs from Durham to Riverside, just call them the X21 and do the X21 route to Newcastle. 

39/39A/39B - any dead runs to/from Doxford Park, run it as the X20 to Doxford (vice versa), aswell 39B dead runs to and from Washington run it as the 8. 

58 - Any dead runs to/from Gateshead run as the X58 from Follingsby or even Concord. 

60 - Any Dead runs from New Seaham run it the way it would go dead name it 60A or smth

All of these may only get a few passengers but really atleast thats some income and routes the drivers would basically already be doing dead. And you never know routes like the XQ3 (or whatever) may actually have some potential in them.

Could be other reasons such as driving hours. I guess it would maximise revenue potential but sometimes not as easy as it may seem on paper. When OK Travel ran the 684 which, was from Bishop Auckland depot they used to do an in service move to their garage in Bishop Auckland so guess it is possible with some imagination.
(17 Jan 2023, 6:52 pm)Coastliner700 wrote [ -> ]Could be other reasons such as driving hours. I guess it would maximise revenue potential but sometimes not as easy as it may seem on paper. When OK Travel ran the 684 which, was from Bishop Auckland depot they used to do an in service move to their garage in Bishop Auckland so guess it is possible with some imagination.
Obviously yes driving hours can be a factor however Im pretty sure you can't do say X21 West Auckland, X21 Newcastle, X21 Bishop/West Auckland (pretty sure even Durham would go over it) then run dead to Riverside without running out of driving hours.
(17 Jan 2023, 6:53 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Obviously yes driving hours can be a factor however Im pretty sure you can't do say X21 West Auckland, X21 Newcastle, X21 Bishop/West Auckland (pretty sure even Durham would go over it) then run dead to Riverside without running out of driving hours.
Here's a completely original idea.

What if they had an outstation down here to run the X21 from, maybe in Crook...

They could then perhaps have some early morning and evening services running between Durham and Crook, perhaps numbered the X46.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
I've always thought this especially the last Stagecoach buses that go to town end farm etc why not run them back to wheatsheaf.
You'd need to also register what had previously been a dead run as a route.

Not a problem if the dead run already follows the route of a service, but when you need to create a new route it'll cost you money to register it, and you'd then need to run that same route every time, no changing to suit circumstances or dropping it 'cos you didn't feel like it.

I'm sure the bus professionals on here can add more to this!
(18 Jan 2023, 8:01 am)Ianthegoon wrote [ -> ]You'd need to also register what had previously been a dead run as a route.

Not a problem if the dead run already follows the route of a service, but when you need to create a new route it'll cost you money to register it, and you'd then need to run that same route every time, no changing to suit circumstances or dropping it 'cos you didn't feel like it.

I'm sure the bus professionals on here can add more to this!

That’s probably the same reason that there’s still one journey as a 39, as presume GNE would have to pay to de register the number and then re register the number when it’s needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no need to register any more 39s (route wise), as 39B runs the 39 route between Doxford International and Pennywell
The idea of turning a dead run into a service is fine in theory but there is a whole host of problems before you even start.

Dead runs 'do' have a reccomended route you take but in reality you can go whichever way you want (there are some exclusions with drivers being told to avoid Newcastle with non compliant vehicles on dead runs).
Driving time may be an issue if there is a delay on a dead run service and a driver can't divert off route.

Breakdowns, especially first thing on a morning before a bus leaves the depot or on route to the starting point. Deptford has been short on morning PVR a couple of times because of this (you either wait for a repair, a different vehicle already in the garage to be repaired or a bus back from scholars workings).

I for example, run light from Deptford to Coxhoe. There are a dozen different ways and variations I can go with some quicker than others. Limiting this to a specific route could impact on the service the vehicle is due to run onto.
(18 Jan 2023, 12:11 pm)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]The idea of turning a dead run into a service is fine in theory but there is a whole host of problems before you even start.

Dead runs 'do' have a reccomended route you take but in reality you can go whichever way you want (there are some exclusions with drivers being told to avoid Newcastle with non compliant vehicles on dead runs).
Driving time may be an issue if there is a delay on a dead run service and a driver can't divert off route.

Breakdowns, especially first thing on a morning before a bus leaves the depot or on route to the starting point. Deptford has been short on morning PVR a couple of times because of this (you either wait for a repair, a different vehicle already in the garage to be repaired or a bus back from scholars workings).

I for example, run light from Deptford to Coxhoe. There are a dozen different ways and variations I can go with some quicker than others. Limiting this to a specific route could impact on the service the vehicle is due to run onto.
Should never had got rid of the citaros! I've mentioned Deptford being short before. 

Those Versas you can hear the tires hitting the wheel well and its not a nice sound at all. Hopefully the Versas on the 35 are just a temp option till 39/39A/39B becomes a solo again and 8339-8346 should go onto 35.
(18 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Should never had got rid of the citaros! I've mentioned Deptford being short before. 

Those Versas you can hear the tires hitting the wheel well and its not a nice sound at all. Hopefully the Versas on the 35 are just a temp option till 39/39A/39B becomes a solo again and 8339-8346 should go onto 35.

Deptford probably had more issues meeting PVR with a fleet of Citaros than a fleet of Versas.

The customer experience may have been slightly better on a Citaro (though questionable if you ask me, saloon heating very poor on a Citaro compared to a Versa), but reliability is woeful in comparison to a Versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surely the buses can now return to previous timetables and the correct allocations. Them ex Saltwell parks on the 39s are horrible. I was shocked to see a graphite on the other day
(17 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Go North East are losing money so why not create dead runs into services which basically run the dead route. Only routes where I would add dead run routes will be here

I'll add a couple of early morning X30s and X31s could start at Consett rather that run empty to Stanley.   Similarly, some buses withdrawn on an evening could run through to Consett.

The through the day attempt to do this before was not successful, but peak hour runs did carry some people through to and from Annfield Plain and Catchgate.

But I do get the other comments here about driver hours.