North East Buses

Full Version: MOT's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has something that has been on my mind and someone mentioned it in a thread before but how do these actually work?

Does someone independent actually come in to do them or does Arriva just do MOT's for well Arriva etc. Seems a serious conflict of interest effectively doing your own MOT's and is kind of a bit pointless if you had questionable practices. Not saying anyone up here would do that, was just an example other than Rural Link or whatever name they are this week who I wouldn't put it past.
(02 Mar 2023, 8:51 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]This has something that has been on my mind and someone mentioned it in a thread before but how do these actually work?

Does someone independent actually come in to do them or does Arriva just do MOT's for well Arriva etc. Seems a serious conflict of interest effectively doing your own MOT's and is kind of a bit pointless if you had questionable practices. Not saying anyone up here would do that, was just an example other than Rural Link or whatever name they are this week who I wouldn't put it past.

I'd imagine they just take them round to KwikFit and get it done
It's very different with buses/coaches. DVSA inspectors test the vehicles at an Authorised Testing Facility (ATF), which could be an operator premises that has been authorised or it could be at an external maintenance provider such as a Volvo or Scania dealership. It's not like a car garage where they employ an MOT tester directly and do the tests. Certain facilities have to be made available to the independent DVSA inspector, and an ATF's own staff cannot interfere with the test. Generally an ATF has to book tester slots with DVSA and then they sell slot spaces to operators, so an operator ends up paying the DVSA test fee plus a "lane fee" to the ATF.
(02 Mar 2023, 9:07 pm)cainebj wrote [ -> ]It's very different with buses/coaches. DVSA inspectors test the vehicles at an Authorised Testing Facility (ATF), which could be an operator premises that has been authorised or it could be at an external maintenance provider such as a Volvo or Scania dealership. It's not like a car garage where they employ an MOT tester directly and do the tests. Certain facilities have to be made available to the independent DVSA inspector, and an ATF's own staff cannot interfere with the test. Generally an ATF has to book tester slots with DVSA and then they sell slot spaces to operators, so an operator ends up paying the DVSA test fee plus a "lane fee" to the ATF.

Thank you for that. Had a feeling that was the way it would've worked otherwise there'd be serious conflicts of interest.

Always something that I was curious about, just wasn't sure who done it.
(02 Mar 2023, 8:51 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]This has something that has been on my mind and someone mentioned it in a thread before but how do these actually work?

To answer your specific question about Arriva, MOTs are carried out at Blyth.
(03 Mar 2023, 6:18 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]To answer your specific question about Arriva, MOTs are carried out at Blyth.
And Stockton
I think Dan has mentioned previously that vehicles are generally prepared for a week or so before presented for test. I believe first time pass rates count against an Operators compliance scores? I can recall reading an interview with an engineering director (can't remember which company, but it was one of the large groups) and he stated they aimed for a 100% first time pass rate, as if a vehicle failed when presented at a booked date/time with an examiner, what would the DVSA find if they pulled a random vehicle over at the roadside.
On the rare occastion I have a car older than 3 years I always get it service then MOT spo it always passes 1st time
(03 Mar 2023, 1:45 pm)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]On the rare occastion I have a car older than 3 years I always get it service then MOT spo it always passes 1st time
I would personally never trust a car with an immaculate MOT history.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(03 Mar 2023, 3:45 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I would personally never trust a car with an immaculate MOT history.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

i would personally not trust a car with an MOT with a problem everytime it went in - shows, in my view, that the keeper doesnt look after it
(03 Mar 2023, 6:18 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]To answer your specific question about Arriva, MOTs are carried out at Blyth.

Yeah I knew that, it's what got me thinking about it as I had a feeling the Blyth depot themselves didn't do but the way this country works at times wouldn't put it past it. Thanks though.

(03 Mar 2023, 12:40 pm)Chris 1 wrote [ -> ]I think Dan has mentioned previously that vehicles are generally prepared for a week or so before presented for test. I believe first time pass rates count against an Operators compliance scores? I can recall reading an interview with an engineering director (can't remember which company, but it was one of the large groups) and he stated they aimed for a 100% first time pass rate, as if a vehicle failed when presented at a booked date/time with an examiner, what would the DVSA find if they pulled a random vehicle over at the roadside.

Yeah makes sense, in fairness you'd be in hot water if something went wrong and they found the brakes were defective etc. Never mind the PR issues, that would be costly.