North East Buses

Full Version: 64 plate Enviro 400s coming to Blyth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve noticed 7530 has been tracking on Blyth Routes. I’m assuming this is a loan or the rest of the 64 plates are coming to Blyth to displace something.
(07 May 2023, 2:08 pm)ahorsmanthebus wrote [ -> ]I’ve noticed 7530 has been tracking on Blyth Routes. I’m assuming this is a loan or the rest of the 64 plates are coming to Blyth to displace something.

Looks to me like it replaced 7501 on the 308 yesterday in Blyth at 1656.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would make sense to swap them around. It's stupid having 14/64 plates running school runs and the 35. Yet the 57 plates which are finished are doing some of the most profitable routes in the North East on the X7-X11/306/308/43-45. Just doesn't make sense.
(07 May 2023, 3:56 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]It would make sense to swap them around. It's stupid having 14/64 plates running school runs and the 35. Yet the 57 plates which are finished are doing some of the most profitable routes in the North East on the X7-X11/306/308/43-45. Just doesn't make sense.

Indeed, the 57 plates are approaching shead status and the Geminis are not far behind.
(07 May 2023, 7:33 pm)solsburian wrote [ -> ]Indeed, the 57 plates are approaching shead status and the Geminis are not far behind.

tbf, the things were sheds when they were at Blyth last time and that must've been 10 year ago? I really don't know why Blyth engineering done them but they really ruined the things, then some bright spark though they'd be ideal for the X93 which obviously was a disaster.

Awful buses but then again most Enviro's from that era are the same. The Stagecoach ones which pottered around on city work all their life aren't exactly much better.

Agreed sadly with the Gemini's but give them credit they've outlasted the N113's and they were really knackered by the end (and now I feel old).
(07 May 2023, 7:53 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]tbf, the things were sheds when they were at Blyth last time and that must've been 10 year ago? I really don't know why Blyth engineering done them but they really ruined the things, then some bright spark though they'd be ideal for the X93 which obviously was a disaster.

Awful buses but then again most Enviro's from that era are the same. The Stagecoach ones which pottered around on city work all their life aren't exactly much better.

Agreed sadly with the Gemini's but give them credit they've outlasted the N113's and they were really knackered by the end (and now I feel old).

Yeah I suppose the 57 plate Envoros were rattely when new but I seem to recall their refurbishment did help matters.

IMHO you can't really fault the Geminis, they have served us well, but they are now starting to show their age, with some of them squeaking, leacking water at the back and the corrosion around the windows. Mind you if they had more TLC form Blyth depot I'm sure they would be in a much better state.

The Cityzens were a disgrace frpm around 2000 onwards, and now I'm showing my age!
(07 May 2023, 8:25 pm)solsburian wrote [ -> ]Yeah I suppose the 57 plate Envoros were rattely when new but I seem to recall their refurbishment did help matters.

IMHO you can't really fault the Geminis, they have served us well, but they are now starting to show their age, with some of them squeaking, leacking water at the back and the corrosion around the windows. Mind you if they had more TLC form Blyth depot I'm sure they would be in a much better state.

The Cityzens were a disgrace frpm around 2000 onwards, and now I'm showing my age!

Must admit I haven't been on them for awhile dodged them so far.

Yeah agreed with the Gemini's, to be fair they should've probably been retired to something easier than the Blyth Expresses by now but it's Arriva and they're idea of retiring buses is to use buses that have been on local town routes all their life to a route over 20 mile long, replace them because they're unreliable then repeat it all over again.

Ha don't worry I can remember when I was kid looking forward to them (preferred the L113's with the 4 seats at front mind) over the bench Olympians which quite often turned up and were grim with ex London brown moquette which belonged in Beamish then nevermind now.
(07 May 2023, 9:20 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Must admit I haven't been on them for awhile dodged them so far.

Yeah agreed with the Gemini's, to be fair they should've probably been retired to something easier than the Blyth Expresses by now but it's Arriva and they're idea of retiring buses is to use buses that have been on local town routes all their life to a route over 20 mile long, replace them because they're unreliable then repeat it all over again.

Ha don't worry I can remember when I was kid looking forward to them (preferred the L113's with the 4 seats at front mind) over the bench Olympians which quite often turned up and were grim with ex London brown moquette which belonged in Beamish then nevermind now.

The 57 plates are grim now, dirty with the painted plastic panels peeling/rubbed down and a few examples leak water through the light fittings on the top deck.

I get that Arriva need to sweat the assets but they always seem to take it too far.

I'm old enough to rember the Nationals in their white undercoat (though I was just a toddler at the time in my defense). The old hand me downs from London were always grim, though at least the Geminis and ALX400s that moved up here in the past got some attention to their interiors.
(07 May 2023, 9:20 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Must admit I haven't been on them for awhile dodged them so far.

The ex London & County ones (M6** HPF)? Blyth operated the exact same Cummins L10 & ZF combination both in the East Lancs flavour and Palatine II flavour.

Did you ever ride on the Pennine Windows liveried Palatine II when it was at Blyth? (think it was 372/7372).

I do remember riding on presumably 373/7373 when it was still carrying the 602 branding in original NMS colours, and it was around the time Arriva switched from Almex ticket machines to Wayfarers as that particular bus had a new wayfarer fitted at the time.

(07 May 2023, 7:53 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]tbf, the things were sheds when they were at Blyth last time and that must've been 10 year ago? I really don't know why Blyth engineering done them but they really ruined the things, then some bright spark though they'd be ideal for the X93 which obviously was a disaster.

Blyth depot and Dennis Tridents never get on well! The last time Blyth had Tridents, by the time they got replaced with Lowlanders and Jesmond got 7430-35, they were never allocated on Sundays with the 306 usually being operated instead by a B10BLE or if capacity was needed, a Palatine II.
(07 May 2023, 9:50 pm)solsburian wrote [ -> ]The 57 plates are grim now, dirty with the painted plastic panels peeling/rubbed down and a few examples leak water through the light fittings on the top deck.

I get that Arriva need to sweat the assets but they always seem to take it too far.

I'm old enough to rember the Nationals in their white undercoat (though I was just a toddler at the time in my defense). The old hand me downs from London were always grim, though at least the Geminis and ALX400s that moved up here in the past got some attention to their interiors.

Ah not surprised they're in that state, guess the disgusting green is starting to come through again? I can't remember the Nationals mind, just before my time - not by much mind!

(08 May 2023, 10:33 am)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]The ex London & County ones (M6** HPF)? Blyth operated the exact same Cummins L10 & ZF combination both in the East Lancs flavour and Palatine II flavour.

Did you ever ride on the Pennine Windows liveried Palatine II when it was at Blyth? (think it was 372/7372).

I do remember riding on presumably 373/7373 when it was still carrying the 602 branding in original NMS colours, and it was around the time Arriva switched from Almex ticket machines to Wayfarers as that particular bus had a new wayfarer fitted at the time.

Blyth depot and Dennis Tridents never get on well! The last time Blyth had Tridents, by the time they got replaced with Lowlanders and Jesmond got 7430-35, they were never allocated on Sundays with the 306 usually being operated instead by a B10BLE or if capacity was needed, a Palatine II.

Nah it wasn't them, they were much older than that. Been looking before and I believe it might have actually been the ex United Olympians with the Y at the end plates - like https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/16131051047/ but I'm not 100% sure. Can just remember them being grim compared to the Cityzens / L113's.

Agreed with Tridents mind.

We never got the Palantine 2's though, way too posh for around here. We used to be just the dumping ground of all the crap pretty much and the L113's which were years apart.
(08 May 2023, 1:35 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Ah not surprised they're in that state, guess the disgusting green is starting to come through again? 

Yes sadly, though I am surprised how long the paint has held up.
7530 is back at Ashington.
(08 May 2023, 1:35 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Ah not surprised they're in that state, guess the disgusting green is starting to come through again? I can't remember the Nationals mind, just before my time - not by much mind!

Nah it wasn't them, they were much older than that. Been looking before and I believe it might have actually been the ex United Olympians with the Y at the end plates - like https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/16131051047/ but I'm not 100% sure. Can just remember them being grim compared to the Cityzens / L113's.

Agreed with Tridents mind.

We never got the Palantine 2's though, way too posh for around here. We used to be just the dumping ground of all the crap pretty much and the L113's which were years apart.
Does this ring a bell?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/48907664838
(09 May 2023, 1:01 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Does this ring a bell?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/48907664838

Nah wasn't the Palentine's. They're the 'new' buses as they're pretty much the last things Northumbria bought before the Arriva rebrand. 

They would've only been 3 year or so old at the time so definitely not 'old'. 

Was the old Leyland Olympians I believe now. Too foggy to say for sure can just remember them being before the A000XXX played which is 1985 or thereabouts I believe.
Currently sat on 7556 - SN15 LLG doing the X7.
(09 May 2023, 2:46 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Nah wasn't the Palentine's. They're the 'new' buses as they're pretty much the last things Northumbria bought before the Arriva rebrand. 

They would've only been 3 year or so old at the time so definitely not 'old'. 

Was the old Leyland Olympians I believe now. Too foggy to say for sure can just remember them being before the A000XXX played which is 1985 or thereabouts I believe.
Oh I see what you mean now Smile. I was mentioning the Palatine II's as Blyth did operate some 1994 coach seatted Cummins L10 examples (ex Hexham) around 2000-2001 before getting the ex Merseyside Leyland Olympians.