North East Buses

Full Version: North East GNE Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just a thought, how about starting off from different points of the Region (Front Door of your House) This would eliminate being followed, Then within a Specified amount of time you have to get Photos of Buses with Various Landmarks within the Region in the Background, for example

Angel - Angel of the North
Waggonway - Beamish
Quaylink - Sage Gateshead and Millennium Bridge
Lime/Silver Arrows - Penshaw Monument
Various Services - Liang Art Gallery
Various Services - Newcastle Central Station/Life Centre
Various Services - St.Nicolas Cathedral
Various Services - Monument(Newcastle)
Various Services - Stadium of Light
Various Services - Sunderland Winter Gardens

And then all meet at a Specified Finishing Point e.g. Heworth Metro, Note only allowed to use the Bus and must obtain either a 3 Zone+ Day Ticket or Explorer Ticket depending where you live, and keep record of the Buses you have been on, Least amount of Buses Wins.
(31 May 2014, 10:05 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]The only thing with that is - what is in place to stop people from following each other and becoming a blatant waste of time?

Something similar to Rat Race (film starring Rowan Atkinson and others) would be phenomenal - but that uses different modes of transport! (Not too sure where we would get a helicopter either!!!)

I personally like the Scavenger Hunt type challenge...

If everyone starts at their preferred starting points, there wouldn't be an issue.

Just checked over the original post (there was lots in there like) and I did mention people starting off at different points.

For those who like to keep themselves anonymous, then it would work as it would those who don't take photos and couldn't take part in some of the challenges suggested, which would involve cameras.
(31 May 2014, 10:21 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Probably the easiest to do like. Just needs a couple of us to get our heads together and come up with a list of about 50-60 things (keep people occupied that way!). Different ones are worth more points than the others.

Indeed. You could say, for example, all 'Yellow Bus' Olympians are worth 20 points and all 'TEN' Geminis are worth 3, but with the exception of 6080 which is worth 10.
Obviously, this would be done for every type of vehicle in GNE's fleet.

Would we work that out on mileage done or time spent on the bus (the latter relies on working EXIF data from the camera)? Additionally, the latter would allow extra points for being late which is something unique!

Contestants can use other buses - Arriva or Stagecoach etc - to allow them to commute to different places for the challenge, but they wouldn't count. A bus only counts when a picture (maybe as a Set on Flickr - you can view EXIF easily) if there is a clear shot of the registration plate (also fleet number if wanted) with valid EXIF information.
Each group would record the buses they went on, and at the end of the challenge, they would hand it over to the organiser(s) who would then process each group accordingly.

(01 Jun 2014, 2:16 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]If everyone starts at their preferred starting points, there wouldn't be an issue.

Just checked over the original post (there was lots in there like) and I did mention people starting off at different points.

For those who like to keep themselves anonymous, then it would work as it would those who don't take photos and couldn't take part in some of the challenges suggested, which would involve cameras.
Sorry mate, didn't read your first post properly. I've just thought though, would it not be a bit unfair to start at your own locations? For the likes of me who live in the middle of nowhere, roughly 20 miles from the start of GNE territory (Hexham), I am limited to which buses I can get to Newcastle or Hexham.

I also don't feel there is that element of competition in taking pictures of buses with landmarks (but that's my opinion).
(01 Jun 2014, 9:08 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Indeed. You could say, for example, all 'Yellow Bus' Olympians are worth 20 points and all 'TEN' Geminis are worth 3, but with the exception of 6080 which is worth 10.

Would we work that out on mileage done or time spent on the bus (the latter relies on working EXIF data from the camera)? Additionally, the latter would allow extra points for being late which is something unique!

Contestants can use other buses - Arriva or Stagecoach etc - to allow them to commute to different places for the challenge, but they wouldn't count. A bus only counts when a picture (maybe as a Set on Flickr - you can view EXIF easily) if there is a clear shot of the registration plate (also fleet number if wanted) with valid EXIF information.
Each group would record the buses they went on, and at the end of the challenge, they would hand it over to the organiser(s) who would then process each group accordingly.

Sorry mate, didn't read your first post properly. I've just thought though, would it not be a bit unfair to start at your own locations? For the likes of me who live in the middle of nowhere, roughly 20 miles from the start of GNE territory (Hexham), I am limited to which buses I can get to Newcastle or Hexham.

I also don't feel there is that element of competition in taking pictures of buses with landmarks (but that's my opinion).

I'm not going to be able to take part in this unfortunatley, seeing as I prefer to travel independantly, but I think it would be advisable that everyone starts from their nearest GNE hotspot, for example you start at the designated starting time in Hexham.
(01 Jun 2014, 9:37 am)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I'm not going to be able to take part in this unfortunatley, seeing as I prefer to travel independantly, but I think it would be advisable that everyone starts from their nearest GNE hotspot, for example you start at the designated starting time in Hexham.

Hmm, I suppose that could work actually!

Btw - you don't have to be in a group to do the challenge, you could do it solo if you wanted to! Just as long as you hand in your record of buses, services and times at the end of the day at the designated end location (for example Gateshead).
(01 Jun 2014, 9:40 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Hmm, I suppose that could work actually!

Btw - you don't have to be in a group to do the challenge, you could do it solo if you wanted to! Just as long as you hand in your record of buses, services and times at the end of the day at the designated end location (for example Gateshead).

I suppose I could team up with Tom, seeing as we're meeting a few times in the Summer holidays.
(31 May 2014, 11:01 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Just a thought, how about starting off from different points of the Region (Front Door of your House) This would eliminate being followed, Then within a Specified amount of time you have to get Photos of Buses with Various Landmarks within the Region in the Background, for example

Angel - Angel of the North
Waggonway - Beamish
Quaylink - Sage Gateshead and Millennium Bridge
Lime/Silver Arrows - Penshaw Monument
Various Services - Liang Art Gallery
Various Services - Newcastle Central Station/Life Centre
Various Services - St.Nicolas Cathedral
Various Services - Monument(Newcastle)
Various Services - Stadium of Light
Various Services - Sunderland Winter Gardens

And then all meet at a Specified Finishing Point e.g. Heworth Metro, Note only allowed to use the Bus and must obtain either a 3 Zone+ Day Ticket or Explorer Ticket depending where you live, and keep record of the Buses you have been on, Least amount of Buses Wins.

I'm shocked as to why Fence Houses hasn't been mentioned! Tongue
(01 Jun 2014, 9:08 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Indeed. You could say, for example, all 'Yellow Bus' Olympians are worth 20 points and all 'TEN' Geminis are worth 3, but with the exception of 6080 which is worth 10.

No worries Smile

If the clues were timed and written in such a way, there shouldn't be too much of an advantage of living wherever, although the locations would always be in the North East, given the balance of members living over here.

The positioning of the envelopes, should even themselves out over time to, given the need for a variety of locations I would use.
For instance, the church tower at Corbridge would be nearer you than the majority of members (providing you didn't end up going off in completely the wrong direction Wink).

The 'area' of the envelope, would always be the first clue too. So if I indicated at 10am it was somewhere on Wearside (and the next clue was at 11am), then realistically you may not want to enter that day.
Similarly, if my first clue indicated the envelope was along the Tyne Valley, it may not appeal to the likes of Michael or Dan.

The good thing about this, is that everyone could join in.
I wouldn't take part and I bet several other members wouldn't join in the photography tasks - simply because it isn't our thing.

Teams or individuals could do this too and those who want to remain anonymous (as I keep saying), could join in and blend in with members of the public.

As a question to everyone, if I give out a series of clues over the next hour or so (more frequent than they would be in reality), is it worth trying the idea out?
There isn't an envelope hidden anywhere btw.

People can just shout out the answer on here, with the clues continuing until someone gets the correct answer.
(01 Jun 2014, 10:42 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]No worries Smile

If the clues were timed and written in such a way, there shouldn't be too much of an advantage of living wherever, although the locations would always be in the North East, given the balance of members living over here.

The positioning of the envelopes, should even themselves out over time to, given the need for a variety of locations I would use.
For instance, the church tower at Corbridge would be nearer you than the majority of members (providing you didn't end up going off in completely the wrong direction Wink).

The 'area' of the envelope, would always be the first clue too. So if I indicated at 10am it was somewhere on Wearside (and the next clue was at 11am), then realistically you may not want to enter that day.
Similarly, if my first clue indicated the envelope was along the Tyne Valley, it may not appeal to the likes of Michael or Dan.

I wouldn't take part and I bet several other members wouldn't join in the photography tasks - simply because it isn't our thing.

Teams or individuals could do this too and those who want to remain anonymous (as I keep saying), could join in and blend in with members of the public.

As a question to everyone, if I give out a series of clues over the next hour or so (more frequent than they would be in reality), is it worth trying the idea out?

People can just shout out the answer on here, with the clues continuing until someone gets the correct answer.

Sounds good to me - I'm defiantly going to try and take part if this happens. The photography one sounds a good idea Wink
The starting points can be a non issue if you set times. e.g. 8am until 6pm. Item lists are sent to people the previous evening, and groups can work out from there where they want to start, or what they want to go out for? I guess the aim would be to make it an Explorer trip, and have things from all over the region? Of course the EXIF data makes sure photos aren't taken in advance. Smile
I do rather like the sound of it now! I too would like to hear some exemplar clues!
Between now and 1, I will issue a series of clues as a test run/trial.

Anyone can quote the clue, but the person who gets it right 1st would be the winner.
Obviously in real life, it would be the person who got the envelope first.

Clue 1. Situated between the south bank of the Tyne and the north bank of the wear.
(01 Jun 2014, 10:42 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]No worries Smile

This would appeal more to me as I have no real interest in taking photos of buses. Also, because I rarely take photographs, I have no idea about EXIF data and whatnot. However, unless the envelope is hidden on a bus like in the 638 example used before, what's stopping me using my car to travel wherever I think the envelope is located?
(01 Jun 2014, 10:59 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Between now and 1, I will issue a series of clues as a test run/trial.

Anyone can quote the clue, but the person who gets it right 1st would be the winner.

Clue 1. Situated between the south bank of the Tyne and the north bank of the wear.

Whitburn?
(01 Jun 2014, 11:10 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]This would appeal more to me as I have no real interest in taking photos of buses. Also, because I rarely take photographs, I have no idea about EXIF data and whatnot. However, unless the envelope is hidden on a bus like in the 638 example used before, what's stopping me using my car to travel wherever I think the envelope is located?

Cos when you upload the photo (doesn't have to be a funky one taken with a flashy camera and doesn't need to show your face), the bus ticket needs to be in shot too.
(01 Jun 2014, 10:59 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Between now and 1, I will issue a series of clues as a test run/trial.

Clue 2. The location isn't far from where minerals were removed from the ground.
Boldon Colliery
(01 Jun 2014, 11:18 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Clue 2. The location isn't far from where minerals were removed from the ground.

Clue 3. Red and white

Clue 2. The location isn't far from where minerals were removed from the ground

Clue 3. Red and white

Clue 4. Not far from the sea
(01 Jun 2014, 11:30 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Clue 1. Situated between the south bank of the Tyne and the north bank of the wear.

Clue 2. The location isn't far from where minerals were removed from the ground

Clue 3. Red and white

Clue 4. Not far from the sea

Stadium of Shite?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5