North East Buses

Full Version: Copyright Laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To anyone who understands Copyright Law:-

A few years ago I bought the autobiography of my Great, Great, Great Uncle, Jimmy Seed who is one of Charlton Athletics most successful managers...

Recently it got me thinking, I would like to type it up word for word and make it available for anyone to read who may be interested in it, but I dont want to fall foul of the law...

The book was produced in 1958 by The Sportsman's Book Club and my ancestor died in 1966, what is the law in this country regarding expiry of copyright and would I be i breach if I went ahead and published it online myself?
(15 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm)fozzovmurton wrote [ -> ]To anyone who understands Copyright Law:-

A few years ago I bought the autobiography of my Great, Great, Great Uncle, Jimmy Seed who is one of Charlton Athletics most successful managers...

Recently it got me thinking, I would like to type it up word for word and make it available for anyone to read who may be interested in it, but I dont want to fall foul of the law...

The book was produced in 1958 by The Sportsman's Book Club and my ancestor died in 1966, what is the law in this country regarding expiry of copyright and would I be i breach if I went ahead and published it online myself?

I'd be seeking some proper legal advice if I was you. Not worth the risk if they decide to prosecute.
I don't believe the Sportsmans Book Club exists anymore but you'd need to check who the copyright passed on to.

Copyright with the original owner (in this case the publisher or whoever has those rights) lasts 70 years from the death of the author.

My advice is finding out who owns the copyright first then contacting them
Thanks gtomlinson...looks like I may potentially have to wait 22 years before I can do anything about it...going to look into it anyway