North East Buses

Full Version: If you won the lottery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a daft little thread really...

What would you do if you won big on Euromillions, it is 40m tomorrow night and I have my life planned out just in case...

I would settle my folks mortgage, get them a new car, treat some family and friends, I would also start a football academy for kids in East Durham and fund various youth groups to help disadvantaged young people...

I would also be nice to this group and fund a few buses for NEB to preserve...

Then I would buy myself a couple of old buses, a Leyland Atlantean converted into a house bus, so I could live the dream of driving all over Europe living out of my bus lol Big Grin
For me it would be:

Help my old primary school, due to the great teachers, head teacher and how much i liked the school.

Help my family out, 5k for each family member, like my nana etc
5k for each my friends
50k each for my mam, dad and brother

For myself:

New house in the lakes
Alot of holidays, maybe a house abroad.

Also:
Start my own private nursery as i'm a nursery nurse
Do you think I could bribe AQA so that they'd give me A*s in every GCSE (and future A-Levels)? Tongue
(17 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]For me it would be:

Help my old primary school, due to the great teachers, head teacher and how much i liked the school.

5k for each my friends

For myself:

New house in the lakes

Also:
Start my own private nursery

Would you be one of these who goes down to the local football ground with big cheque, to waste a bottle of champagne
(17 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]For me it would be:

5k for each my friends

For myself:

New house in the lakes

Also:
Start my own private nursery as i'm a nursery nurse

Some to my family, 10-20k each.
I'd live in the Lakes, thats for sure. And while were talking about the Lakes, I'd preserve a B10M and a Olympian Wink
Loads of holidays around the UK and Europe.

And that last bit is thoughtful Michael. I can't think of many people who would give up their money, and time to help others. Really nice of you, such a rewarding job too Smile
(17 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Would you be one of these who goes down to the local football ground with big cheque, to waste a bottle of champagne

Depending on the team, always willing to do stuff for local stuff.
(17 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Do you think I could bribe AQA so that they'd give me A*s in every GCSE (and future A-Levels)? Tongue

Everybody has a price Dan...

Can see the headlines now in the Sunderland Echo

YOUNG LOTTERY WINNER IN EXAM BOARD BRIBERY SCANDAL
And that last bit is thoughtful Michael. I can't think of many people who would give up their money, and time to help others. Really nice of you, such a rewarding job too Smile
[/quote]

It is, im not working atm, i lost my job last year due to council cuts at my nursery so we shut down and with me being in uni im doing placement work but its one of the best jobs ive done, its great to see them grow up.

Think i have more fun than the kids with the sand, playdo and that haha
(17 Apr 2014, 9:39 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Depending on the team, always willing to do stuff for local stuff.

Got to say, I respect and admire that, being the best person you can be, I would be the same to an extent, especially for local young people, like I said, I would fund a football academy or community sports hub that ran teams in all kinds of sports, so kids who werent too good at footy could have a go at rugby or cricket or something, I would even set up a trust fund for kids, who, if there intelligent enough, fund a scholarship to send them into private education...

We can only dream, but it is a damn good dream to have
(17 Apr 2014, 9:39 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Everybody has a price Dan...

Can see the headlines now in the Sunderland Echo

YOUNG LOTTERY WINNER IN EXAM BOARD BRIBERY SCANDAL

Aye and the banner he would be holding in the photograph would read "I've got £40m and I couldn't give a ..."
(17 Apr 2014, 9:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Aye and the banner he would be holding in the photograph would read "I've got £40m and I couldn't give a ..."

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
(17 Apr 2014, 9:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Aye and the banner he would be holding in the photograph would read "I've got £40m and I couldn't give a ..."

Hahah! Love it! Tongue
(17 Apr 2014, 9:46 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Got to say, I respect and admire that, being the best person you can be, I would be the same to an extent, especially for local young people, like I said, I would fund a football academy or community sports hub that ran teams in all kinds of sports, so kids who werent too good at footy could have a go at rugby or cricket or something, I would even set up a trust fund for kids, who, if there intelligent enough, fund a scholarship to send them into private education...

We can only dream, but it is a damn good dream to have

Local charities come first when it comes to charity.
My family comes first of course.

Id love to win that amount on the euro.
I'd definitely run my own bus company like if I won that much. Might as well try and run a professional business to try and make more money!
(17 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Local charities come first when it comes to charity.
My family comes first of course.

Definately, I would also treat myself quite extravagantly, I have made a lot of sacrifices, so think I would deserve to go mad for a bit 😀
(17 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'd definitely run my own bus company like if I won that much. Might as well try and run a professional business to try and make more money!

Someone once told me, once you got the smell of money, no amount is enough and all you want is more
(17 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'd definitely run my own bus company like if I won that much. Might as well try and run a professional business to try and make more money!

Thats a good idea,batter the top 3 down abit Tongue

What would you name the company?
Which area would it be based in?
(17 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Do you think I could bribe AQA so that they'd give me A*s in every GCSE (and future A-Levels)? Tongue

There'd be no great need either if you won 40m Tongue

Mine would be a bit different. I'd start by putting £1m into my union's hardship fund, to help those hit hardest during times they lose earnings, when supporting their union in action.

I'd then look to establish an ethical pub chain locally from top to bottom. No greed, no director bonuses, and all staff paid at least a living wage. There's far too much greed in this industry, and it's being ruined by Pub.Co's. Landlords stretched to the limits working all the hours god sends to make a pittance, micromanagement tactics in place to ensure landlords buy all their alcohol from the Pub.Cos, and every other pub now being turned into a Tesco local.

The company, wherever possible, would select local suppliers and sources, and would also become a Living Wage employer. This means it would only select contractors and suppliers which also sign up to the Living Wage.

Me too! Out of interest, what services would you operate? Would it be routes, or coach hire etc.
I only ever put the Euro-Millions on when the jackpot is at a figure of over £100m. For some bizarre reason, £40m isn't enough for me to punt £2 on it even though I do the National Lottery every week through direct debit. I wonder if anyone else has this rather strange (and irrational) point of view?

Anyway....now for my pie-in-the-sky ideas.

Investing in a football club would be nice. I would probably pick Consett as the town is expanding and a successful run might be enough to establish a decent fanbase which would allow the club to grow and flourish.

Investing in a small bus operator holds some appeal. Buy a few new buses and try out a few new routes to see if anything sticks. Acquiring some old vehicles for preservation might be nice. I have a very close family member who works as a fitter and we have often discussed something along these lines.

Acquiring land for development is also something I'd like to do. On my travels I see lots of land - often with derelict buildings - and it just looks wasteful. If I had the money, I would love to regenerate and build new homes. One ideal of mine is to build flats and target 'green' buyers - i.e. those without cars - thereby creating the potential for sustained and strengthened transport links.

And of course I'd sort out my close friends and family too. This probably goes without saying so I won't delve too much into how.

With exception of the last point, these are all just idealistic pipe-dreams. Whether any of my other suggestions would come to fruition if I won the lottery is another matter entirely!
Pages: 1 2