North East Buses

Full Version: Stagecoach Family Open Day - Carlisle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(18 May 2014, 4:46 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]You pay a premium to travel by train though. Same goes for East Coast vs GNE's Angel from Durham to Newcastle. It'd take just over 10 mins on the train, but I'd pay twice as much for the privilege.

Pretty sure the Sunderland - Newcastle by rail stems from the old PTE days, when the Pacers were painted in PTE livery.

The Newcastle - Sunderland by rail was a concession as Sunderland did not have a rail-link at the time and, as a result, Tyne & Wear had a few more rail stations within its boundaries. I believe the old Tyne & Wear Traveltickets were valid on BR services to South Shields (and probably the North Tyne Loop) before it was converted for light-rail use.

While I don't necessarily believe either Carlisle or Berwick should be included within Explorer ticketing, it will be interesting to see what happens when Tyne & Wear, Northumberland, Durham & Tees Valley Councils combine to oversee public transport in this area. If this does come fruition, there might be an argument to extend local ticketing options to include local rail travel.
(18 May 2014, 4:03 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]It's Stupid and Completely Illogical, what is the point in having a Ticket which you can use as far as Carlisle, Berwick and Scarborough on the Bus, which takes a Minimum of just under 3 Hours Tops/6 Hours Round Trip, But you can't use it on the Train which will get you there in Half the Time, and is in within the Specified Zones of which said ticket can be Used.

Surely if an Explorer was Valid on the Train this would then see an Increase of Passenger Usage, I would certainly use it, as it would be great Value for Money, Particularly those who use the Service Daily to get to Work etc.

It's been said previously This Week, who really wants to spend 2 and a Half Hours on a Scania Omnicity or Enviro 300 on the 685 to Carlisle and Back, which in turn is 5 Hours of the Day Wasted by sitting on a Bus, which is also why I am now Debating whether I actually want to go or not.

Perhaps Introducing more Bus Services to/from these Areas on a Limited Stopping Basis could be the Answer, or Alternatively Introduce more Local Services along those Routes, to then Assist the Current Service i.e. 685 to Decrease those Horribly Long Journey Times, I sure am most people along the Route at Hayden Bridge etc Rely on this Service as it is the only Service they have, As maybe the case with some Areas on the Route of the X15(I think it is) Between Newcastle and Berwick, and the X93 from Middlesbrough to Scarbrough.

Without repeating what has been said already about the costs and necessary agreements to be put on place - I understand your frustration.

I need to be on Teesside before 9 tomorrow.
The train is an option, but I need a red ticket at the very minimum as well as the cost involved in the train ticket.

The x7, x9 and x10 timings don't work in the morning, with connections impossible or inconvenient.

The other option, is to go via Durham and onto Teesside on the x1.
However that means I need to buy an explorer and I am unable to use the train home, without incurring additional costs.

Do I limit myself to an explorer (the cheapest option) or buy a red ticket and an £8/9 odd return to sit on a Pacer or pay even more in the form of singles - to give myself a bit of flexibility?
Or, I could just drive the car down and faff on for ages looking for parking spaces.
But what's stopping the necessary arrangements being put in place?

The necessary arrangements are in place in other parts of the country so why not the North East?

Granted, the area covered by the Explorer ticket is vast - much larger than the area covered by the TfGM Wayfarer and the MerseyTravel equivalent - but surely an arrangement by operators and councils within the populated areas which lie between Tyne and Tees (and slightly beyond) would secure a better deal for passengers and encourage more people to consider using public transport throughout the region.

Personally, I would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if it meant I could use my Explorer ticket on the train between Hexham and Newcastle; Newcastle and Saltburn; Saltburn to Bishop Auckland; and Darlington to Newcastle. But, of course, this is unlikely to happen even if this planned 'Combined Authority' happens.
(19 May 2014, 6:22 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]But what's stopping the necessary arrangements being put in place?

The necessary arrangements are in place in other parts of the country so why not the North East?

Granted, the area covered by the Explorer ticket is vast - much larger than the area covered by the TfGM Wayfarer and the MerseyTravel equivalent - but surely an arrangement by operators and councils within the populated areas which lie between Tyne and Tees (and slightly beyond) would secure a better deal for passengers and encourage more people to consider using public transport throughout the region.

Personally, I would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if it meant I could use my Explorer ticket on the train between Hexham and Newcastle; Newcastle and Saltburn; Saltburn to Bishop Auckland; and Darlington to Newcastle. But, of course, this is unlikely to happen even if this planned 'Combined Authority' happens.

There is no reason whatsoever from a passenger point of view.

I decided to take the car today, rather than chew on with public transport.
That's £10-£15 less into the public transport kitty and several quid into the back pockets of the fuel company and parking companies instead.
(20 May 2014, 7:12 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]There is no reason whatsoever from a passenger point of view.

I decided to take the car today, rather than chew on with public transport.
That's £10-£15 less into the public transport kitty and several quid into the back pockets of the fuel company and parking companies instead.

It's the same reason I do too. I've been down to Middlesbrough about a dozen times doing research over the past 2-3 years. If I only needed to be in Middlesbrough and had no other appointments to keep then I'd use public transport. However if I had other things planned then I'd take the car. Luckily, I've never needed to be in Middlesbrough (or Teesside) for 9am, but I've needed to back on Tyneside for around 3pm before. If I had to rely on public transport then I probably wouldn't of been able to complete my Uni work.
Now the combined authority exists for things like transport, in my opinion, it's a huge barrier demolished.
(18 May 2014, 12:58 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I only wish Explorers were valid on all rail-services in the region just as their equivalents tickets are in Liverpool and Manchester Angry
Because there is no Transport PTE like there is in Manchester and Greater Manchester. There's Nexus and that's your lot; it is then up to the councils. Arriva's 685 is purely for profit - it is in no way subsidised.

(18 May 2014, 4:03 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Perhaps Introducing more Bus Services to/from these Areas on a Limited Stopping Basis could be the Answer
I don't think Arriva can cut the route back any more, they've done enough as it is! From Brampton to Hexham and Corbridge to Horsley, it is an express service. I personally think they should cut out Horsley to Lemington Road Ends - they already have a decent bus service as it is! (SNE X82 to Throckley as well as GNE X84). You're potentially cutting 20-30 minutes (if not more) which would definitely make it more attractive to passengers.

(18 May 2014, 4:03 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]I sure am most people along the Route at Hayden Bridge etc Rely on this Service as it is the only Service they have,
It certainly is. Haydon Bridge residents were the main ones to kick up a fuss after the previous 685 cuttings! Bearing in mind that my 4-5 buses a day direct to Newcastle through my village is now just one (SNW 685 at 18:40).
A dozen or so houses have been put up for sale after these cuts in a nearby village - most of the elderly, who rely on the buses (the main road is 1.5 miles away and along really dangerous roads to walk on - this isn't even near to an official bus stop! If you're going to the proper bus stop, you're adding an extra mile or so. No paths either!

Newcastle to Sunderland is the only bit of railway in the region that is subsidised by Nexus - which means you can use Explorer tickets on it (as well as Metro tickets in the correct zone(s))
(20 May 2014, 6:12 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Newcastle to Sunderland is the only bit of railway in the region that is subsidised by Nexus - which means you can use Explorer tickets on it (as well as Metro tickets in the correct zone(s))

And you have hit the nail on the head - go to Merseyside, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester and you'll find the vast majority of rail services are paid for by the PTEs.

Also, those areas also have non-rail tickets as well for a cheaper price - South Yorkshire for example have the SYConnect valid on the Sheffield Supertram and Bus Services (apart from Sheffield service 505 due to the present operator or First Doncaster service 101 or night services) for £6.20 a day while the Travelmaster Gold Day ticket (covers the same as the SYConnect but with the addition of using any train that has 2 stops within South Yorkshire) is £7.50. Again, the Wayfarer someone mentioned in regards to Manchester officially is the Derbyshire Wayfarer and costs £11 for 1 day or £21 if travelling in a group of 2 adults and 2 children and can get you from Manchester to Derby or even Sheffield.
(20 May 2014, 6:28 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Again, the Wayfarer someone mentioned in regards to Manchester officially is the Derbyshire Wayfarer and costs £11 for 1 day or £21 if travelling in a group of 2 adults and 2 children and can get you from Manchester to Derby or even Sheffield.

Actually, I must correct you here.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer and the TfGM/GMPTE Wayfarer are two separate tickets administered by two different bodies. You cannot travel to Manchester City Centre using the Derbyshire Wayfarer (although you can travel into the Greater Manchester area) nor can you travel to Sheffield or Derby using the TfGM/GMPTE Wayfarer.

The links below are maps showing the areas of validity for both tickets. There is some overlap between the areas. If you live in, say, Buxton, you're spoilt for choice!

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/MAP_tcm44-21389.pdf

http://tfgm.com/journey_planning/Documen...us-map.pdf

The MerseyTravel All-Areas Saveaway gets my vote for the best value travel ticket. I was able to travel from Southport to Chester via Liverpool - a 46 odd mile journey according to Google Maps - for only £4.90. Bargain!
Not sure if I can go now Angry
(23 May 2014, 5:59 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Not sure if I can go now Angry

I'm not going as I don't have the Money and I didn't fancy 2+ Hours on the 685, Decided i'm going to save up and go to the 60 Years of Routemaster Rally down London in July instead.
I shall be on the 0745 ex-Newcastle from near Haltwhistle. Simply because I want to use my Arriva Teen Card and don't fancy waiting until 1230 to use it!
I'll not be attending tomorrow. Got a few things that have came up unfortunately. Sad
(23 May 2014, 7:36 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I shall be on the 0745 ex-Newcastle from near Haltwhistle. Simply because I want to use my Arriva Teen Card and don't fancy waiting until 1230 to use it!

Expect me to be driving straight pass you shortley before hand in my car Tongue
For regards to best Value Ticket.

5 Day pass for De Lijn costs 15 euros in advance and is valid on all buses and trams operated by De Lijn in the Northern half of Belgium.

Or best one of all. Writing to Bus Atha Cliath for permission to visit their depots during a holiday to Ireland in 2006. Get a letter back not only granting permission but a free 7 day bus pass for their routes.
Well I'm up nice and early! Give me a wave if you see me out and about today. Smile
4662 is my chariot to Carlisle, and it is departing 5 minutes late from Newcastle.
The indicator sound - combined with the hard leather seats - has already confirmed I'm going to want to top myself by the time we hit Hexham.
(24 May 2014, 6:53 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]4662 is my chariot to Carlisle, and it is departing 5 minutes late from Newcastle.
The indicator sound - combined with the hard leather seats - has already confirmed I'm going to want to top myself by the time we hit Hexham.

Brilliant, and I have a bad back today! Are you on the 0745? Of so I will see you in 25 minutes or so!
(24 May 2014, 7:54 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Brilliant, and I have a bad back today! Are you on the 0745? Of so I will see you in 25 minutes or so!

Yep, and he's made up time (which is the only up-side).
(24 May 2014, 7:56 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yep, and he's made up time (which is the only up-side).

I hope it isn't too much time; I'm still walking to the bus stop!
Pages: 1 2 3 4