North East Buses

Full Version: Examinations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
first exam tomorrow and it's science
Did my first Business exam today (not the Greggs one). Went alright. I ran out of time but I was on the last question.

3 down, 2 to go. Got the Greggs exam on Wednesday, with Ethics on Thursday and then I'm done Smile
(09 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]lmao!

Nothing like abit of entertainment when your bored in exams

Statistically - belive it or not - catching a few minutes sleep in the middle of an exam can help the brain revise and as a result boost test scores!

The Head of Humanities at my school also told me that striking a little bit of fear into a class from the teacher can make the students more cautious in the class and in turn get higher grades.
Getting sick of revision now. I feel like an athlete limping over the finishing line.

Got my Business exam about Greggs tomorrow, with Ethics on Thursday and then I'm done Smile
(17 Jun 2014, 4:45 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Getting sick of revision now. I feel like an athlete limping over the finishing line.

Got my Business exam about Greggs tomorrow, with Ethics on Thursday and then I'm done Smile

Just hope I can be a little bit more motivated when it comes to revision next year because it didn't half kill me this year.

Although I celebrated leaving school on Friday (simply because 90% of GCSE students do leave after their final Maths exam), I went back in for my final exam today - an additional Media Studies exam which is essentially a Business exam. Think it went well!

Now just two months to wait until results day. Tongue
(17 Jun 2014, 5:24 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Just hope I can be a little bit more motivated when it comes to revision next year because it didn't half kill me this year.

Although I celebrated leaving school on Friday (simply because 90% of GCSE students do leave after their final Maths exam), I went back in for my final exam today - an additional Media Studies exam which is essentially a Business exam. Think it went well!

Now just two months to wait until results day. Tongue

A-levels are hard, there's no denying that. You have to remember though, you're reducing the number of subjects being studied from around 10 or so down to 4, with the option of dropping one either during Year 12 or on results day of Year 12.

There's a philosophical motto that I go by to help motivate myself to keep going: "Short term pain equals long term gain".

I hope you (and indeed everyone else taking exams at the minute) get the results you want. Out of curiosity Dan, or just tell me to mind my own business if you want, what are you thinking about studying at A-level?
(17 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]A-levels are hard, there's no denying that. You have to remember though, you're reducing the number of subjects being studied from around 10 or so down to 4, with the option of dropping one either during Year 12 or on results day of Year 12.

There's a philosophical motto that I go by to help motivate myself to keep going: "Short term pain equals long term gain".

I hope you (and indeed everyone else taking exams at the minute) get the results you want. Out of curiosity Dan, or just tell me to mind my own business if you want, what are you thinking about studying at A-level?
ICT, Media Studies, Business Studies and English - primarily because they're the ones I'm predicted A*s in at GCSE and (most of the time) I enjoy them.

The ICT, Media and Business go quite well as a triplet, and Media/English go well together too.

Some teachers have been really supportive of my choices given that they all link together and complement each other... Others less so supportive on the grounds that they believe I should be doing all three sciences and maths. Not my cup of tea.
(17 Jun 2014, 9:28 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]ICT, Media Studies, Business Studies and English - primarily because they're the ones I'm predicted A*s in at GCSE and (most of the time) I enjoy them.

The ICT, Media and Business go quite well as a triplet, and Media/English go well together too.

Some teachers have been really supportive of my choices given that they all link together and complement each other... Others less so supportive on the grounds that they believe I should be doing all three sciences and maths. Not my cup of tea.

I love Business, hence why I'm doing a Business course at uni. My school do the Edexcel scheme and it is very interesting. It more or less builds on the knowledge gained through the GCSE qualification.

I did English Language as well. Also quite an interesting subject. Can be difficult in places, but once.you get to grips with the different theories, then it's a doddle.

I can't link my other subject, Theology, into your choices but never mind.

Your choices do seem to be quite broad, leaving many doors open. My choices did the same thing.

I'm also not really a maths or science kind of person, even though I was good at them at GCSE.

I'm sorry but I really need to go to bed now. I want/need to be fully fresh in the morning for my exam.
(17 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]I love Business, hence why I'm doing a Business course at uni. My school do the Edexcel schemenand it is very interesting. It more or less builds on the knowledge gained through the GCSE qualification.

I did English Language as well. Also quite an interesting subject. Can be difficult in places, but once.you get to grips with the different theories, then it's a doddle.

I can't link my other subject, Theology, into your choices but never mind.

Your choices do seem to be quite broad, leaving many doors open. My choices did the same thing.

I'm also not really a maths or science kind of person, even though I was good at them at GCSE.

That was my general idea too, given that I still have no idea what I want to do in two years time..!

Out of the sciences, Biology is my favourite. Although I did like it because I found parts of the syllabus interesting, I think the main reason it was my favourite out of the sciences was because I understood it - and that's thanks to the teacher we had. I did originally think about taking Biology instead of English, but because the annual rumours set off around the school that the teacher was leaving (he's ancient), I decided I wasn't going to risk it.

We've had a different Chemistry teacher every year since Year 7. We've been really messed around in that respect, and I think that's primarily why I found Chemistry the hardest of the three. Obviously different teachers have different methods, and their teaching is really what helps students understand. I found that the only students in my year group who were really good at Chemistry were the ones who had family who were actually scientists and involved in the subject.

We had the same Physics teacher between Years 7 and 9, and he doubled up as the D.T teacher. He was only qualified to teach the latter - which is why I suspect a number of our Physics lessons were substitued for additional D.T lessons - but he literally taught anything they threw at him (Maths and ICT to name but a few). In Years 10 and 11, we had a different teacher - absolutely useless. Although he has quite a creative aspect to his teaching and has a lot of visual demonstrations, he was always off 'sick'. He has quite the reputation between staff and pupils for pulling a sicky. I suspect that's the reason why we only finished the syllabus three days before the Module 2/3 exams - during a two hour revision session held after school on a Friday night!
The Greggs exam went alright yesterday. I know I haven't done spectacularly well but I don't think I'm completely fluffed it, but I am reasonably happy with it.

The Ethics exam today meanwhile was absolutely fantastic. The way it works is that you've got four questions, and you have to answer two of them (a quite long essay each). It so happened to be that my two strongest topics (Business Ethics and Conscience) were two of the questions on today's paper, so I was dead happy.

And with that, my exams, and my days as a school boy, are over. It's quite sad really. Only 56 days until results day!
(19 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]The Greggs exam went alright yesterday. I know I haven't done spectacularly well but I don't think I'm completely fluffed it, but I am reasonably happy with it.

The Ethics exam today meanwhile was absolutely fantastic. The way it works is that you've got four questions, and you have to answer two of them (a quite long essay each). It so happened to be that my two strongest topics (Business Ethics and Conscience) were two of the questions on today's paper, so I was dead happy.

And with that, my exams, and my days as a school boy, are over. It's quite sad really. Only 56 days until results day!

Best of luck, Adam!

I remember you had a number of choices lined up for Uni but I can't remember if you decided which option was best for you?
(19 Jun 2014, 6:53 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Best of luck, Adam!

I remember you had a number of choices lined up for Uni but I can't remember if you decided which option was best for you?

Thank you Dan. Same to you.

I've opted for Business Leadership and Corporate Management at Northumbria. I've had a reduced offer from 3 As down to an A and two Bs in order to get in.

Another word of warning about A-Levels. It is perfectly normal to have at least 10 crises during Sixth Form (I'm not exaggerating), particularly in Year 13 when you have to deal with the dreaded UCAS system, so be prepared Tongue
(19 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Thank you Dan. Same to you.

I've opted for Business Leadership and Corporate Management at Northumbria. I've had a reduced offer from 3 As down to an A and two Bs in order to get in.

Another word of warning about A-Levels. It is perfectly normal to have at least 10 crises during Sixth Form (I'm not exaggerating), particularly in Year 13 when you have to deal with the dreaded UCAS system, so be prepared Tongue

Oh ye... the UCAS system... :p
(19 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Oh ye... the UCAS system... :p
I never ever bothered with a UCAS application. you'd think college was son commission though the amount of arguments I had with them about it. My point was that I'd need vendor qualifications for my job, and they didn't accept based on UCAS points. 10 years later and it's never caused me any problems!
https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fcheckpoint%2F&_rdr#!/profile.php?id=146970992089489

Have a look for the post/video about mock exams.

On phone, so can't post link directly to the page.
I was reminded earlier of one of my exams, i think it an R.E. exam

Wrote my name, the date, then went on to write I AM A FISH 50 times for a laugh 😀
(10 Jan 2015, 12:32 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I was reminded earlier of one of my exams, i think it an R.E. exam

Wrote my name, the date, then went on to write I AM A FISH 50 times for a laugh 😀

Was my little tribute to Red Dwarf
Been a good while since this thread was replied to, so seeing as I have my exams in May/June, I'll revive it. Anyone else doing their GCSEs this summer?
(15 Apr 2017, 7:03 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Been a good while since this thread was replied to, so seeing as I have my exams in May/June, I'll revive it. Anyone else doing their GCSEs this summer?
Just my final university exams in May/June. Can't wait till they are over and I can resume a normal sleeping pattern!  Big Grin
(15 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)Simmy wrote [ -> ]Just my final university exams in May/June. Can't wait till they are over and I can resume a normal sleeping pattern!  Big Grin

Students and post-grads never sleep at sensible times anyway. I live with one, and they manage to crawl out of bed at around 4-5pm and then get back in at around 4am. I doubt you're going to break the trend haha.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8