North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1309)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 8:10 pm)Roland Pratt wrote Institutionalised oppression? What garbage.

What would you call it?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm)AdamY wrote I did not know this.

Do you care to point me in the direction of where this information is published so I can view it for myself?

DPTAC improvements came about in mid 90s. The first converted bus I came across was a National on the (wait for it....) *drums roll......* 638.

It was when the bars turned green, metal work appeared all over the bus and the bus stopping signs were added.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1993/feb/10/disabled-persons-transport-advisory

(21 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm)Roland Pratt wrote Well it was the disability lobby which first demanded poles in the middle of the entrance, and then did a total about turn.

An about turn?
If you check over the link, which contains minutes of the Parliamentary meeting, you will see the introduction of split steps etc, was just a temporary measure - whilst funding was sourced to assist bus companies trial low floor vehicles.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 21 Mar 2014

I must admit I was being a bit radical back a few posts ago but do you really want to know who the cause of the problem is? The likes of Brussels and Greenpeace who bang on about emissions and so on! The only two double deck low floor buses that have came close to the Palatine 2 with the D10245 engine have been the B9TL and DB250. Even the B9TL can struggle with 40 mile runs for 17 - 18 hours per day at 50 to 60 mph. Despite the emissions of ths Palatine 2 being higher, the fuel consumption would only be marginally higher on a 80 mile round run than what it would be on a Volvo B9TL and add better reliabilty and gearing ratios, a few more emissions going into the air is far less important compared to operating and keeping a bus service fully running and reliable. But obviously, the green lefties don't see it that way!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 9:29 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote I must admit I was being a bit radical back a few posts ago but do you really want to know who the cause of the problem is? The likes of Brussels and Greenpeace who bang on about emissions and so on! The only two double deck low floor buses that have came close to the Palatine 2 with the D10245 engine have been the B9TL and DB250. Even the B9TL can struggle with 40 mile runs for 17 - 18 hours per day at 50 to 60 mph. Despite the emissions of ths Palatine 2 being higher, the fuel consumption would only be marginally higher on a 80 mile round run than what it would be on a Volvo B9TL and add better reliabilty and gearing ratios, a few more emissions going into the air is far less important compared to operating and keeping a bus service fully running and reliable. But obviously, the green lefties don't see it that way!

There's far more to go wrong on a Gemini in comparison to a Palatine, such as the electrical systems and the on-board computer systems. Yes, the Palatine's might be more suited to the routes with their strong and powerful engines, but they just aren't suitable for the regular travelling public.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm)BJ10VUS wrote There's far more to go wrong on a Gemini in comparison to a Palatine, such as the electrical systems and the on-board computer systems. Yes, the Palatine's might be more suited to the routes with their strong and powerful engines, but they just aren't suitable for the regular travelling public.

The Palatines were and with their end of life operators, fantastic buses. The mighty fumbling and roaring you can hear from the engines and the hissing air pressure! I surely miss them, they are my childhood bus and I sincerely remember them pacing up and down the Coast Road on the 306 in the distinguishing NMS colours. Would Volvo not want to consider the possibility to reproduce the engine but make ot compatible with euro 6 on the Gemimi? It would be a fantastic combination.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 21 Mar 2014

Most of the recent engine controls that afford compliance with emission regulations rely on electronics.

Old-fashioned mechanical fuel-injection just doesn't cut the mustard these days.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 22 Mar 2014

Here's an interesting few questions for you all to think about:

- How long do you expect Arriva to keep the B5LH's on the 308?

- After the time you stated above, where do you think they'll end up?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 22 Mar 2014

(22 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote Here's an interesting few questions for you all to think about:

- How long do you expect Arriva to keep the B5LH's on the 308?

- After the time you stated above, where do you think they'll end up?

I hope I am wrong, but I cant see them lasting too many years.
Just like the SNE/ANE gas buses and the GNE hybrids as well as the Designlines, they're using new technology, which nobody knows if they will last the test of time.

You mentioned the Olympians yesterday and the engines in them - how well established were the systems behind their engines?

(22 Mar 2014, 5:13 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I hope I am wrong, but I cant see them lasting too many years.
Just like the SNE/ANE gas buses and the GNE hybrids as well as the Designlines, they're using new technology, which nobody knows if they will last the test of time.

You mentioned the Olympians yesterday and the engines in them - how well established were the systems behind their engines?

Very well established indeed! I'd say personally that if the Sapphire brand takes off on the X21 and X22, then I'd say that if no new vehicle orders are placed for next year, then I'd say that the X10, X11 and 308 will get a Sapphire specification fit next year.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 22 Mar 2014

Is there a thread directly related to the DesignLine vehicles?

I'm interested in the history (I'm aware of the use by Stagecoach on Quaylink and the subsequent withdrawal and storage and the bankruptcy of the manufacturing company in New Zealand and Charlotte USA) but I don't want to muddy the waters and expand the topic here when it will have been discussed (no doubt at length) elsewhere.

I would also be interested in threads discussing the efficiency/performance/reliability/lifetime cost of hybrids and whether they are as effective as has been mooted.

(22 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm)G-CPTN wrote Is there a thread directly related to the DesignLine vehicles?

I'm interested in the history (I'm aware of the use by Stagecoach on Quaylink and the subsequent withdrawal and storage and the bankruptcy of the manufacturing company in New Zealand and Charlotte USA) but I don't want to muddy the waters and expand the topic here when it will have been discussed (no doubt at length) elsewhere.

I would also be interested in threads discussing the efficiency/performance/reliability/lifetime cost of hybrids and whether they are as effective as has been mooted.

I'd say that for towns and cities, they're good. For the 308 in mechanical and reliability terms, they're good however, they do struggle on the roundabouts and slip roads when going from a complete stop before engaging 2nd gear. On GNE's 21 however, they can be a bit tempermental particularly between CLS and Durham but they do the job fine. One trial that would be particularly interesting before the X21 and X22 upgrade would be allocating one of the 308 hybrids to the X21 for 1 month. It would be interesting to see how they would perform on a route sitting inbetween a city / suburban category and a mighty rural or trunk road route.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 22 Mar 2014

(22 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm)G-CPTN wrote Is there a thread directly related to the DesignLine vehicles?

Done just that - in management/infrastructure thread

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Tom - 22 Mar 2014

Anyone know where 7445/7446 are? Never saw them for ages.
Also, will the Classic vehicles be going into Arriva livery?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 22 Mar 2014

(22 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm)Tom wrote Anyone know where 7445/7446 are? Never saw them for ages.

7445 was on 43/44/45 today. Did see 7446 last week on the same work.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 22 Mar 2014

(22 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm)Tom wrote Anyone know where 7445/7446 are? Never saw them for ages.

The Solo already is, not sure on the decker as I can't see it being there for long.

(22 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm)tyresmoke wrote The Solo already is, not sure on the decker as I can't see it being there for long.

It would make sense for 2503 to go to Darlington, and a newer Solo to come to Jesmond in my opinion.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 22 Mar 2014

(22 Mar 2014, 11:16 pm)Tom wrote It would make sense for 2503 to go to Darlington, and a newer Solo to come to Jesmond in my opinion.

Can't see why they would need to. It's not used on Nexus contract work and Jesmond have enough flexibility already.

(22 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm)tyresmoke wrote Can't see why they would need to. It's not used on Nexus contract work and Jesmond have enough flexibility already.

Just thought it'd go with 2504/2505 at Darlington.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - 9920up - 23 Mar 2014

Changes to "Route and Timetable" have been registered to Darlington services 1/1B/X1, 2, 4, 5/5A, 7 and 8 from 18.5.14. Anyone know/heard what these changes are?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - JoshP - 23 Mar 2014

(23 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm)9920up wrote Changes to "Route and Timetable" have been registered to Darlington services 1/1B/X1, 2, 4, 5/5A, 7 and 8 from 18.5.14. Anyone know/heard what these changes are?

I'm very insterested in the changes, I have an inkling it's mostly town centre bus stop changes. I keep looking on Arriva's and Connect Tees Valley's websites but can't find a thing

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - VolvoMarkII - 23 Mar 2014

(23 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm)JoshP wrote I'm very insterested in the changes, I have an inkling it's mostly town centre bus stop changes. I keep looking on Arriva's and Connect Tees Valley's websites but can't find a thing

Timetable amendments only so I'm told. The Bus Registration website lists the "change type" incorrectly very often, so the alleged timetable and route amendments may not be correct.

Apparently there are also amends to the 11, 12 and 21 from the same date.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - JoshP - 23 Mar 2014

(23 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm)VolvoMarkII wrote Timetable amendments only so I'm told. The Bus Registration website lists the "change type" incorrectly very often, so the alleged timetable and route amendments may not be correct.

Apparently there are also amends to the 11, 12 and 21 from the same date.

Ahh cool thanks for the info. I mean there's no way a change of route can be applied to the 4, and the 2 could go around Branksome the way the 25B used too but it's virtually impossible to re route town routes in my own opinion.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - GuyParkRoyal - 23 Mar 2014

Arriva provided Metro Replacement service today using: 7608, 7607, 7472, 7469, 7475 & 7445.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - GuyParkRoyal - 23 Mar 2014

7445 on 900 Metro Replacement between North Shields and Shiremoor today.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 24 Mar 2014

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-03-24/attempted-robbery-on-bus-driver/

Attempted robbery on Arriva driver

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 24 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm)BJ10VUS wrote There's far more to go wrong on a Gemini in comparison to a Palatine, such as the electrical systems and the on-board computer systems. Yes, the Palatine's might be more suited to the routes with their strong and powerful engines, but they just aren't suitable for the regular travelling public.

I think the regular travelling public would prefer a bus that they could rely on to turn up, even if it didn't have all mod cons.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 24 Mar 2014

(23 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm)JoshP wrote I'm very insterested in the changes, I have an inkling it's mostly town centre bus stop changes. I keep looking on Arriva's and Connect Tees Valley's websites but can't find a thing

I wouldn't bother with Connect Tees Valley. They're months behind!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 24 Mar 2014

(24 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm)Roland Pratt wrote I think the regular travelling public would prefer a bus that they could rely on to turn up, even if it didn't have all mod cons.

Like a low floor? So, the pram brigade would prefer a high floor bus?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Tom - 24 Mar 2014

2503 in service on the NHS Staff Facility (?) today, photo courtesy of Ray Parnaby.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 24 Mar 2014

(24 Mar 2014, 10:01 pm)Tom wrote 2503 in service on the NHS Staff Facility (?) today, photo courtesy of Ray Parnaby.

Yeah it's the shuttle between RVI and Newcasle General Hospitals