North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1313)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 7436-44 will be withdrawn next year from Durham (7436-40 due to transfer to Durham), the B7TLs won't be withdrawn for a good number of years (given they are 51 and 02 reg which only makes them 12 years old). 4501/2/5/6/8/9 are due to move to Stockton at some point from Ashington however plans as always are subject to change and their move might be delayed.

Y reg is only between a day and a year older than 51 reg so can't see there being a 'good number of years' difference in their withdrawals.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm)Roland Pratt wrote Y reg is only between a day and a year older than 51 reg so can't see there being a 'good number of years' difference in their withdrawals.

Dates I've got are as followed:

7436-44 - new August 2001
7484-94 - all are listed as new in 2002 (7484-89 obviously registered before 28th February 2002 while 7490-4 registered after 1st March 2002).

So maximum of 5/6 months between 7436-44 and 7484-9, while there's a minimum of 7-12 months between 7436-44 and 7490-4. Plus take into account they have had money spent on refurbishment, the B7TLs will, at least, last until 2016/17. Considering 7459-64 are schedule for replacement as soon as possible and they arrived in 2011, should likely last 3 years minimum.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - northern156 - 22 Jul 2014

Arriva 185
Having just photted Stagecoach's 27766 on the only 685 a day to pass through Longbyre Village, I read in the notice board at Longbyre Shelter a small notice/letter to the local Councillor: (I have highlighted important parts in bold.

Dear Councillor Sharp

Following my phone call this afternoon, I confirm the situation regarding bus services 94, 185 and AD122 as follows:

Service 94 [Note this is service 95, but never mind]
This is run by Reay's Coaches. There is only one journey running in Northumberland, the 0850 Greenhead via Gilsland & Low Row to Brampton & Carlisle, Mondays to Saturdays. This will continue until further notice.

Service 185
This is run by Telford's Coaches under contract to Cumbria County Council, with a contribution from Northumberland County Council. The existing service will finish on 31st August [Note it will be Sat 30th], when the Cumbria County Council contract will end. From the same date, [Note it will be Mon 1st Sep] Arriva will be operating some of the service commercially, and I will seek tenders from local bus operators for as much of the rest of the service as possible. The money I have available for this is the £1300 per month NCC currently contributes to the Cumbria CC contract - my aim will be to have as nearly the same service as at present. This would be until Easter 2015 to give us time to review the passenger numbers and decide on a permanent solution.
I would not be surprised if existing bus drivers start telling passengers that the service is ending altogether on 31st August and they either deny there will be any replacement or say they don't know. They may well blame Cumbria or Northumberland county councils or both. If this happens and worried constituents say to you they have heard the 185 is being withdrawn, feel free to reassure them we are doing all we can to keep as much as the service as possible.

Service AD122
The current timetable will run 7 days a week until 31st August, and then Saturdays and Sundays in September. It will run for the last time this year on Sunday 28th September. The AD122 has always been a seasonal service, however I have to admit in past years it has continued into October.
Please feel free to share all this with your constituents, Parish Councils in your constituency and anyone else who is concerned. Please do let me know if you have any queries, but Cumbria residents should however contact their County Council.

Regards

Ian Coe

----------------------------------------------------

Now, read into this what you will, but the Arriva operating the 185 is the most important [hence why I've put it into this topic]. This, to me, is a very unexpected by move from them as I thought they were totally against running through here with the regular 685; let alone making up their new service!

I also noticed a timetable for the aforementioned service on the notice board:

Carlisle - Brampton - Gilsland - Greenhead - Haltwhistle 185
Mondays to Saturdays (except Public Holidays)

[Image: S59OHcn.jpg]

From 1st September 2014
Operated Arriva Northumbria

Now, what will Arriva use on this? Any form of double decker is out of the question due to the low bridge at Gilsland; and it uses a hell of a lot of back roads. I don't know about Omnicities as these are pretty long vehicles; in my eyes unsuitable for this.
I assume the first one of the day will have to come empty from Jesmond to Haltwhistle (a good 40 or 50 miles). The services do not sound like they are linked in any way; with the first of the day ending up at Carlisle at 10:41 with the next 185 leaving Carlisle at 13:24. This arrives into Haltwhistle at 14:30, with the next leaving Haltwhistle at 15:32 and arriving 16:41. Unless this then works the 17:07 685 (but then what would work that?!) it would have to come light from Carlisle to Jesmond - unless there is some other service coming into force from Arriva.

Thanks for reading this post if you have got this far. Just a bit of heads-up, if anyone knows more please share!
I'll definitely have the day off from work and will have to get the good old camera out.

Sean

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm)northern156 wrote Arriva 185
Having just photted Stagecoach's 27766 on the only 685 a day to pass through Longbyre Village, I read in the notice board at Longbyre Shelter a small notice/letter to the local Councillor: (I have highlighted important parts in bold.

Dear Councillor Sharp

Following my phone call this afternoon, I confirm the situation regarding bus services 94, 185 and AD122 as follows:

Service 94 (Note this is service 95, but never mind)
This is run by Reay's Coaches. There is only one journey running in Northumberland, the 0850 Greenhead via Gilsland & Low Row to Brampton & Carlisle, Mondays to Saturdays. This will continue until further notice.

Service 185
This is run by Telford's Coaches under contract to Cumbria County Council, with a contribution from Northumberland County Council. The existing service will finish on 31st August [Note it will be Sat 30th], when the Cumbria County Council contract will end. From the same date, [Note it will be Mon 1st Oct Arriva will be operating some of the service commercially, and I will seek tenders from local bus operators for as much of the rest of the service as possible. The money I have available for this is the £1300 per month NCC currently contributes to the Cumbria CC contract - my aim will be to have as nearly the same service as at present. This would be until Easter 2015 to give us time to review the passenger numbers and decide on a permanent solution.
I would not be surprised if existing bus drivers start telling passengers that the service is ending altogether on 31st August and they either deny there will be any replacement or say they don't know. They may well blame Cumbria or Northumberland county councils or both. If this happens and worried constituents say to you they have heard the 185 is being withdrawn, feel free to reassure them we are doing all we can to keep as much as the service as possible.

Service AD122
The current timetable will run 7 days a week until 31st August, and then Saturdays and Sundays in September. It will run for the last time this year on Sunday 28th September. The AD122 has always been a seasonal service, however I have to admit in past years it has continued into October.
Please feel free to share all this with your constituents, Parish Councils in your constituency and anyone else who is concerned. Please do let me know if you have any queries, but Cumbria residents should however contact their County Council.

Regards

Ian Coe

----------------------------------------------------

Now, read into this what you will, but the Arriva operating the 185 is the most important [hence why I've put it into this topic]. This, to me, is a very unexpected by move from them as I thought they were totally against running through here with the regular 685; let alone making up their new service!

I also noticed a timetable for the aforementioned service on the notice board:

Carlisle - Brampton - Gilsland - Greenhead - Haltwhistle 185
Mondays to Saturdays (except Public Holidays)

[Image: S59OHcn.jpg]

From 1st September 2014
Operated Arriva Northumbria

Now, what will Arriva use on this? Any form of double decker is out of the question due to the low bridge at Gilsland; and it uses a hell of a lot of back roads. I don't know about Omnicities as these are pretty long vehicles; in my eyes unsuitable for this.
I assume the first one of the day will have to come empty from Jesmond to Haltwhistle (a good 40 or 50 miles). The services do not sound like they are linked in any way; with the first of the day ending up at Carlisle at 10:41 with the next 185 leaving Carlisle at 13:24. This arrives into Haltwhistle at 14:30, with the next leaving Haltwhistle at 15:32 and arriving 16:41. Unless this then works the 17:07 685 (but then what would work that?!) it would have to come light from Carlisle to Jesmond - unless there is some other service coming into force from Arriva.

Thanks for reading this post if you have got this far. Just a bit of heads-up, if anyone knows more please share!
I'll definitely have the day off from work and will have to get the good old camera out.

Sean

I assume you mean the 1st September (as the 1st October is a Wednesday and a month after the end date).

(22 Jul 2014, 7:04 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I assume you mean the 1st September (as the 1st October is a Wednesday and a month after the end date).
Yes it is sorry, getting my months mixed up.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 7:06 pm)northern156 wrote Yes it is sorry, getting my months mixed up.

Cant remember 100%, but don't ANE run a vehicle light on a morning or leave it hanging around Carlisle?
Wonder if this eliminates or reduces that?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 22 Jul 2014

I would imagine the 0932 service is worked by the bus that goes light (from Jesmond I think?) to Carlisle for 1107 685.

The 1324 185 should work off the 1256 685 arrival, that just means instead of getting an hours layover, each 685 would go straight back out. That would leave the 1707 journey which would be worked by the bus coming back in off the 185. It gets an hour lunch break in Haltwhistle. Not a bad duty Newcastle-Carlisle-Haltwhistle / break / Haltwhistle-Carlisle-Newcastle if that is how it works.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - stueybish - 22 Jul 2014

Ex-Arriva Yorkshire MPDs 220 and 221 have both spent today on service 6

Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 8:12 pm)tyresmoke wrote I would imagine the 0932 service is worked by the bus that goes light (from Jesmond I think?) to Carlisle for 1107 685.

The 1324 185 should work off the 1256 685 arrival, that just means instead of getting an hours layover, each 685 would go straight back out. That would leave the 1707 journey which would be worked by the bus coming back in off the 185. It gets an hour lunch break in Haltwhistle. Not a bad duty Newcastle-Carlisle-Haltwhistle / break / Haltwhistle-Carlisle-Newcastle if that is how it works.

The one which goes light to Carlisle is one of the ones which terminates at Hexham on a morning from Newcastle, I'm sure?

(22 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm)Dan wrote The one which goes light to Carlisle is one of the ones which terminates at Hexham on a morning from Newcastle, I'm sure?
Certainly is; leaves Hexham at 09:30 ish light to Carlisle arriving at 10:30 ish to work back the 11:07.

(22 Jul 2014, 8:12 pm)tyresmoke wrote I would imagine the 0932 service is worked by the bus that goes light (from Jesmond I think?) to Carlisle for 1107 685.

Doesn't go straight from Jesmond; it works an 85 (or X85, not sure) to Hexham and then goes light.

Makes sense though Scott. A usual Jesmond turn with 185 work is 306 or other locals (53/54 etc) before or after a return 85/685 journey. As it stands, three Arriva trips a day go straight back out upon arrival at Carlisle (albeit with a 10-min break if they get it). The 09:07, 19:07 and 20:07.

I'm guessing then, presuming the Omnicities are kept on 685s (no reason why they shouldn't although I can think of many), it will be operated by one of these? I'm a tad skeptical due to the length of them!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm)Dan wrote The one which goes light to Carlisle is one of the ones which terminates at Hexham on a morning from Newcastle, I'm sure?

Yes I think they send another bus light to Hexham to do the 0927 return journey. I think off schools if I remember right

about the fleetlist - john631 - 22 Jul 2014

hi there just wanting to know what does the letter D mean on the fleetlist

RE: about the fleetlist - R852 PRG - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 9:57 pm)john631 wrote hi there just wanting to know what does the letter D mean on the fleetlist

Not sure, is it Driver Training?

RE: about the fleetlist - Jimmi - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 9:57 pm)john631 wrote hi there just wanting to know what does the letter D mean on the fleetlist

Awaiting disposal I think.

RE: about the fleetlist - Tom - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm)Jimmi wrote Awaiting disposal I think.

® is reserve and (D) is disposal.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 23 Jul 2014

211 (V211PCX) is a further mini Dart from Yorkshire to transfer, it arrived at Redcar last night.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Coppercap40 - 23 Jul 2014

Does anyone know which route 220/221 are working today please

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 23 Jul 2014

(23 Jul 2014, 8:24 am)tyresmoke wrote 211 (V211PCX) is a further mini Dart from Yorkshire to transfer, it arrived at Redcar last night.

Apparently a spare for the Park and Ride.

(23 Jul 2014, 8:32 am)Coppercap40 wrote Does anyone know which route 220/221 are working today please

Both on 6s again apparently.

(23 Jul 2014, 9:06 am)Roland Pratt wrote Apparently a spare for the Park and Ride.

Despite the fact they don't meet the specification for the P&R spare, being Euro2 and not wheelchair accessible (no ramp)

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 23 Jul 2014

(23 Jul 2014, 9:06 am)tyresmoke wrote Both on 6s again apparently.

Despite the fact they don't meet the specification for the P&R spare, being Euro2 and not wheelchair accessible (no ramp)

Unless its to allow a bus to be the Park and Ride spare. Im not sure either way if im honest. Im not an arriva expert.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Coppercap40 - 23 Jul 2014

Thanks Scott

(23 Jul 2014, 9:11 am)Robert wrote Unless its to allow a bus to be the Park and Ride spare. Im not sure either way if im honest. Im not an arriva expert.

Whitby got allocated 3 ALX200s for a reason... As they meet the spec (Euro3) whereas the older MPDs don't

(23 Jul 2014, 9:21 am)tyresmoke wrote Whitby got allocated 3 ALX200s for a reason... As they meet the spec (Euro3) whereas the older MPDs don't

Does the contract only stipulate two buses? Presumably if Arriva run extra ones just to alleviate overcrowding then they could use whatever buses they want.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 23 Jul 2014

(23 Jul 2014, 9:43 am)Roland Pratt wrote Does the contract only stipulate two buses? Presumably if Arriva run extra ones just to alleviate overcrowding then they could use whatever buses they want.

I think the ALX200s are spares in case one of the branded Solos are not able to work the service.

(23 Jul 2014, 9:43 am)Roland Pratt wrote Does the contract only stipulate two buses? Presumably if Arriva run extra ones just to alleviate overcrowding then they could use whatever buses they want.

Yeah it's contracted for two buses until the end of October. Still don't know what they're going to do with them over the winter season.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 23 Jul 2014

(23 Jul 2014, 9:51 am)tyresmoke wrote Yeah it's contracted for two buses until the end of October. Still don't know what they're going to do with them over the winter season.

Knowing Arriva they'll probably be on the Whitby local services and Redcar services Big Grin

(23 Jul 2014, 9:54 am)Jimmi wrote Knowing Arriva they'll probably be on the Whitby local services and Redcar services Big Grin

Yes, the 63 more than likely!

Anyone looking for 223 at Stockton today - it's not out... Inside again!
We also have 1611, 1639 (now gone), 1438 and 4706 here for test today.

Just a few quick bits
- 4072 and 4091 have had red paint applied to them, suggesting their removal from Stockton depot will be imminent, I imagine 1002 has had similar treatment.
- 2846 is now in the same livery as 2845, though branded for service 553
- 4045 is withdrawn at Blyth as it's MOT has ran out (and replaced by reserve Dart 1712)

And finally as mentioned by Dan a few pages back, the launch of Ashington's Sapphire upgrade on the X21/X22 is to be held on Tuesday, 1100 at Newbiggin Maritime Centre.
The entry into service of the 16 E400s (7501-7509, 7522-7528) should set off a series of cascades which ultimately will see the removal of more DAF SB220 Prestiges from the fleet.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 24 Jul 2014

223 has finally broken free from Stockton depot and is operating Service 7 today.