North East Buses
Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot (/showthread.php?tid=3964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ambassador - 01 Aug 2022

I’m torn on this one…in a similar way to the railways.

Public confidence is eroded to a degree and further strikes will just damage the perception of the network and cause further losses. However everyone has a legal right to strike and it’s important that is protected and respected.

On the counter, GNE are horrendously run and have been for some time, their post covid management and decisions have been woeful and you could see this dispute and 5e outcome coming a mile off, similarly to the railways. You’d hope the new guy will clear the decks and breathe some fresh life into a stale failure of an organisation...

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 9:49 pm)Ambassador wrote I’m torn on this one…in a similar way to the railways.

Public confidence is eroded to a degree and further strikes will just damage the perception of the network and cause further losses. However everyone has a legal right to strike and it’s important that is protected and respected.

On the counter, GNE are horrendously run and have been for some time, their post covid management and decisions have been woeful and you could see this dispute and 5e outcome coming a mile off, similarly to the railways. You’d hope the new guy will clear the decks and breathe some fresh life into a stale failure of an organisation...
Not for long

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Storx - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 9:48 pm)Unber43 wrote as long as the X21/34 runs thats all that matters.

With the 21 every 30 mins to Durham

Not trying to argue for the sake of it but surely it would be better if the X21 didn't run at all. I know the likes of Streetdeck would be annoyed but he's got alternatives with the 6/X12 or 6 and train and I think even he'd even understand why it's been cancelled in particular South of Durham.

Having the 21 every 30 minutes through Low Fell would be an outright disaster.

The 21 / X21 South of CLS is covered by the X12 / 50 albeit slightly different routes and not very frequent, there's nothing else on the 21 (by far the busiest route) and any driver who dares does the work from another depot should be shot, coward of the highest order. You never cross picket lines to 'help out'.

The 34 no doubt will have 1 bus on it and doing whatever it can with it.

(01 Aug 2022, 10:07 pm)Storx wrote Not trying to argue for the sake of it but surely it would be better if the X21 didn't run at all. I know the likes of Streetdeck would be annoyed but he's got alternatives with the 6/X12 or 6 and train and I think even he'd even understand why it's been cancelled in particular South of Durham.

The 21 / X21 South of CLS is covered by the X12 / 50 albeit slightly different routes and not very frequent, there's nothing else on the 21 (by far the busiest route) and any driver who dares does the work from another depot should be shot, coward of the highest order. You never cross picket lines to 'help out'.

What could they do? Surely X21 hourly between West Auckland > CLS then turning into the 21, and CLS to Newcastle every 20 mins (one being the X21)

I can't tell if you're being serious about the drivers covering work, however i feel like thats something no drivers from any depot should do. I mean its not like their isn't any overtime in all the other depots

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - L469 YVK - 01 Aug 2022

In theory........could Arriva not poach a load of ex CLS drivers to Belmont? That and 14x E400 classics soon to be available from Ashington (although in reality they'll have plans for them)...........

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ambassador - 01 Aug 2022

A fleet of red JH coaches buses running the 21 again…we can pretend it’s the 90s again

(01 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm)Ambassador wrote A fleet of red JH coaches buses running the 21 again…we can pretend it’s the 90s again
I wonder if JH will feel okay covering for drivers being on strike I know I wouldn't.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Storx - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm)Unber43 wrote What could they do? Surely X21 hourly between West Auckland > CLS then turning into the 21, and CLS to Newcastle every 20 mins (one being the X21)

I can't tell if you're being serious about the drivers covering work, however i feel like thats something no drivers from any depot should do. I mean its not like their isn't any overtime in all the other depots

Honestly imo the right order would be (depending on what they've got).

21 - Brandon Extension Binned
X21 - Hourly South of Durham
X21 - Hourly throughout
21 - Dropped to 15 minutes CLS - Low Fell
X21 - Dropped altogether
21 - Dropped South of CLS
21 - Drop the frequency that's left, 20 mins - 30 mins
Shut the doors and cancel everything like Arriva Yorkshire

It keeps the important areas with a service where there's nothing else and removes the duplicated areas.

Yeah I was, should never cross a picket line. It could potentially bite back when you want to go on strike not to mention you might be working with them soon. It sounds like there's trouble already as mentioned before. It's quite a cowardly thing to do, it's bad enough crossing one to go to work when your friends are striking to help your future.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - peter - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 10:07 pm)Storx wrote Not trying to argue for the sake of it but surely it would be better if the X21 didn't run at all. I know the likes of Streetdeck would be annoyed but he's got alternatives with the 6/X12 or 6 and train and I think even he'd even understand why it's been cancelled in particular South of Durham.

(01 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm)Unber43 wrote What could they do? Surely X21 hourly between West Auckland > CLS then turning into the 21, and CLS to Newcastle every 20 mins (one being the X21)

I suppose GNE would have to weigh up maintaining the service they have the monopoly over, the 21 Newcastle to Chester vs the service they're more largely competing against with Arriva/have alternatives. If they ran such a low frequency on the 21 it would be carnage. Either way with both services you run the risk of losing out to both the train and Arriva between Newcastle, Chester and Durham, and Arriva through to West Auckland.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - NL62WVW - 01 Aug 2022

Don't forget that there are drivers and managers from other depots that aren't in the union, just need to find the buses to run the service.

Management will have something up their sleeve, will be very surprised if they let the X21 & 21 go tits up during this strike

(01 Aug 2022, 10:32 pm)NL62WVW wrote Don't forget that there are drivers and managers from other depots that aren't in the union, just need to find the buses to run the service.

Management will have something up their sleeve, will be very surprised if they let the X21 & 21 go tits up during this strike
They've been letting it go tits up for weeks

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 02 Aug 2022

Well, hopefully GNE hold up their end of the bargain and actually withdraw the relocation package if the strike does go ahead. If there's one thing I hate more than people who take part in strikes it's companies not actually making good on their threats!

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - cbma06 - 02 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 9:54 pm)Unber43 wrote Not for long

The government are trying to change the law so there can abolish protests and strikes, as it doesn’t give a positive image towards the uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - omnicity4659 - 02 Aug 2022

(02 Aug 2022, 6:00 am)cbma06 wrote The government are trying to change the law so there can abolish protests and strikes,  as it doesn’t give a positive image  towards the uk.

We'd be up in arms if it was another country proposing such dystopian and authoritarian rules.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ds1197 - 02 Aug 2022

(02 Aug 2022, 6:00 am)cbma06 wrote The government are trying to change the law so there can abolish protests and strikes,  as it doesn’t give a positive image  towards the uk.

Do people have any idea how scary that is, where in or close to 1984 territory

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ambassador - 03 Aug 2022

(02 Aug 2022, 5:27 am)streetdeckfan wrote Well, hopefully GNE hold up their end of the bargain and actually withdraw the relocation package if the strike does go ahead. If there's one thing I hate more than people who take part in strikes it's companies not actually making good on their threats!
It may be part of the negotiation - but it comes back to money isn't everything. There's a better quality of life out there away and Covid has opened up opportunities 

You may hate strikes but the Union movement has given you a lot of the rights and freedoms you have in your workplace at the moment.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - easya320 - 05 Aug 2022

Long time watcher, first time poster here.
In view of the proposed closure of Chester-le-Street depot couldn't there possibly be a scope here for GNE to be future ready by making bigger changes now in terms of business premises and company operation rather than small changes every few years.
My thoughts are that if Chester-le-Street depot is going to be too expensive to maintain the current building then possibly look at these two solutions:-

1st - Demolish Chester-le-Street depot entirely, do the ground works as required, create a new outside parking depot on the existing site with a new engineering facility building and a few offices (not all offices needed as in previous years).. or

2nd - Give up the Chester-le-Street land entirely and build a new super depot at Follingsby Park, integrate Washington, Chester-le-Street and The Works in to one large facility central to both Washington, Gateshead and Chester-le-Street.  Easy road access to A184, A194M, A195, A1M, Leam Lane. Parts will be on hand in a central store at Follingsby for all vehicle types for each depot.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - ian foster - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 7:53 am)easya320 wrote Long time watcher, first time poster here.
In view of the proposed closure of Chester-le-Street depot couldn't there possibly be a scope here for GNE to be future ready by making bigger changes now in terms of business premises and company operation rather than small changes every few years.
My thoughts are that if Chester-le-Street depot is going to be too expensive to maintain the current building then possibly look at these two solutions:-

1st - Demolish Chester-le-Street depot entirely, do the ground works as required, create a new outside parking depot on the existing site with a new engineering facility building and a few offices (not all offices needed as in previous years).. or

2nd - Give up the Chester-le-Street land entirely and build a new super depot at Follingsby Park, integrate Washington, Chester-le-Street and The Works in to one large facility central to both Washington, Gateshead and Chester-le-Street.  Easy road access to A184, A194M, A195, A1M, Leam Lane. Parts will be on hand in a central store at Follingsby for all vehicle types for each depot.
It was only a few years ago this idea was being talked about except that the depot was going to be in the Birtley area. However nothing came of this.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - xpm - 05 Aug 2022

A smaller network of super depots was always the grand plan - but no chance nowadays as they've no money to do it.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ambassador - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 8:14 am)ian foster wrote It was only a few years ago this idea was being talked about except that the depot was going to be in the Birtley area. However nothing came of this.
Curious to know if they still have rights to the land at Drum Industrial or if its lapsed (I imagine the latter) - not that there's much take up for the acres of space at Drum at the moment

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - MurdnunoC - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 9:35 am)Ambassador wrote Curious to know if they still have rights to the land at Drum Industrial or if its lapsed (I imagine the latter) - not that there's much take up for the acres of space at Drum at the moment

From what I remember, and this is going back possibly nearly 15 years ago now, land had been ringfenced at a site adjacent to Batleys, but there's now a massive industrial unit (Co-op, I think), which occupies the site. 

I might be wrong on this though.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - easya320 - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 8:22 am)xpm wrote A smaller network of super depots was always the grand plan - but no chance nowadays as they've no money to do it.
I was just curious as to whether they have done a cost to benefit analysis of super depots since they talked about Birtley?
It would make sense having all the facilities in one place, engineering staff, electricians, coach builders, painters etc.
In fairness building the depot would have a cost which I accept, but wouldn't it pay for itself in years to come, especially with the loss of overhead cost of The Works and Washington Depot.
It could even provide more space for EV charging than Riverside which in future would benefit the business and enable fleet replacement to EV on local routes more viable.
Just a thought?

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Malarkey - 05 Aug 2022

I thought the same however utilising land available on IAMP instead, there is also room for expanding Deptford Depot as there is a large chunk of land next to on Deptford Terrace which has been left following the major changes to the road layout in the area, iirc the land was previously a merchants yard of sorts. With this expansion you could bring over Washington's Services and then close Washington Depot altogether.

.jpg deptford terrace.JPG

There is also room for expansion across the road from Riverside Depot due to vacant land along with land at Hownsgill which i'm surprised they didn't factor in Chester-Le-Street when building the latter.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 05 Aug 2022

Wonder if reopening the outstation at Crook for the X21 would be viable, presumably they had it there for a reason in the first place, and since they'll presumably be running it from Riverside it might make more sense than having the early morning services run light for ~30 miles to West Auckland since that can't be cheap on diesel these days!

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 5:30 pm)Malarkey wrote I thought the same however utilising land available on IAMP instead, there is also room for expanding Deptford Depot as there is a large chunk of land next to on Deptford Terrace which has been left following the major changes to the road layout in the area, iirc the land was previously a merchants yard of sorts. With this expansion you could bring over Washington's Services and then close Washington Depot altogether.

There is also room for expansion across the road from Riverside Depot due to vacant land along with land at Hownsgill which i'm surprised they didn't factor in Chester-Le-Street when building the latter.
I definitely think GNE should be eying up that land for a new depot.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 05 Aug 2022

What is the minimum required for a bus depot?
Do they really need maintenance on site, or could that be handled by another depot, and do they really need more than a big car park and a portakabin?

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Adrian - 05 Aug 2022

(05 Aug 2022, 5:30 pm)Malarkey wrote I thought the same however utilising land available on IAMP instead, there is also room for expanding Deptford Depot as there is a large chunk of land next to on Deptford Terrace which has been left following the major changes to the road layout in the area, iirc the land was previously a merchants yard of sorts. With this expansion you could bring over Washington's Services and then close Washington Depot altogether.

It's had NSIP approval to be developed as an International Advanced Manufacturing Park - not to stick a great big bus depot on it.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Ambassador - 09 Aug 2022

Seems to be all quiet on the strike front with 72 hours to go.

Assume negotiations are ongoing

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Adrian - 09 Aug 2022

(09 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm)Ambassador wrote Seems to be all quiet on the strike front with 72 hours to go.

Assume negotiations are ongoing
They must be quietly confident of a resolution, as they've not given any advance warning to customers, despite that they will have received a statutory 14 day notice from the Union.

Egg on face comes to mind, if it ends up going ahead as planned...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 09 Aug 2022

(09 Aug 2022, 12:54 pm)Adrian wrote They must be quietly confident of a resolution, as they've not given any advance warning to customers, despite that they will have received a statutory 14 day notice from the Union.

Egg on face comes to mind, if it ends up going ahead as planned...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Wonder if they'll send out a press release or any social media posts