North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm)Michael wrote U doing the full route?

Also from the GNE site.

Eldon Square Bus Stand Changes - 27 July 2014

Date: 15 Jul 2014

From 27 July a small number of stand changes come into effect at Eldon Square Bus Station.

These changes are to improve bus reliability through better stand access during the day and will allow buses to leave from adjacent stands at busy times without causing unnecessary inconvenience to passengers, as can be the case currently.

From the above date:

Services 10, 10A & 10B will relocate to Stand C.

Services 31, 43, 44/44A, 45, 46 & 47 will relocate to Stand D.

Services 11/11A, 32 and X36 will relocate to Stand E.

Put Money on it still causing unnecessary inconvenience to Passengers, Stand D in-particular where there will 10+ Services Per Hour Departing said stand.

#NeedANewBusStation
#HashtagsOnNEB

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Put Money on it still causing unnecessary inconvenience to Passengers, Stand D in-particular where there will 10+ Services Per Hour Departing said stand.

#NeedANewBusStation
#HashtagsOnNEB

They should have kept Worswick Street bus station. Eldon Square is wrong side of city centre for buses going south and too much time is wasted getting there and back.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:29 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote They should have kept Worswick Street bus station. Eldon Square is wrong side of city centre for buses going south and too much time is wasted getting there and back.

Where was Worswick Street Bus Station?

Before any chimes in, I know the bus station was at Worswick Street...

But where abouts is it in the Town

(15 Jul 2014, 3:29 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote They should have kept Worswick Street bus station. Eldon Square is wrong side of city centre for buses going south and too much time is wasted getting there and back.

There a massive plot of Land which runs in line with St.James's Boulevard and Wellington Street/Corporation Street in Newcastle City Centre, which don't think is being used for anything at the Moment, Could put a New Bus Station there.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Where was Worswick Street Bus Station?

Before any chimes in, I know the bus station was at Worswick Street...

But where abouts is it in the Town

From the image on google maps it looks like its further over than Eldon Square but is right next to the A167(M). This would be great but all buses would either need to battle their way through Newcastle further or along Askew Road and across the Tyne Bridge (buses coming from Metrocentre).

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:47 pm)Robert wrote From the image on google maps it looks like its further over than Eldon Square but is right next to the A167(M). This would be great but all buses would either need to battle their way through Newcastle further or along Askew Road and across the Tyne Bridge (buses coming from Metrocentre).

It was primarily used for via Gateshead services. So the ones that use Gateshead Int, would scoot over the Tyne Bridge (like the 21 etc), off at New Bridge St and work through to Worswick St via Carliol Sq, before dropping onto Pilgrim St and the Tyne Bridge.

Services from the west of Gateshead, Stanley etc used Marlbrough Crescent and Newgate St primarily, before more or less everything went to Eldon Square.

As far as I am aware, Go ahead still own the old bus station and the land, so would save a fortune on fees by avoiding Eldon Square - not to mention improving reliability.
Not sure all passengers would appreciate the walk if needing to be in the centre of the town though.

The location is ideal, the layout poor - Espec in this H&S mad world we live in.

There are videos of it in the useful links section

(15 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It was primarily used for via Gateshead services. So the ones that use Gateshead Int, would scoot over the Tyne Bridge (like the 21 etc), off at New Bridge St and work through to Worswick St via Carliol Sq, before dropping onto Pilgrim St and the Tyne Bridge.

The location is ideal, the layout poor - Espec in this H&S world we live in.

There are videos of it in the useful links section

The spot I mentioned in my Previous Post looks to be in an Ideal Position.

Red Line - Bus Services inbound/outbound from MetroCentre/Blaydon and Hexham etc

Green Line - Inbound Services from Gateshead via Tyne Bridge and Central Station

Blue Line - Outbound Services from Newcastle via Westgate Road and High Level Bridge to Gateshead etc

- Bus Lane would probably be needed to combat Traffic a Peak Times of the Day.

[attachment=5715]

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 4:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote The spot I mentioned in my Previous Post looks to be in an Ideal Position.

Red Line - Bus Services inbound/outbound from MetroCentre/Blaydon and Hexham etc

Green Line - Inbound Services from Gateshead via Tyne Bridge and Central Station

Blue Line - Outbound Services from Newcastle via Westgate Road and High Level Bridge to Gateshead etc

- Bus Lane would probably be needed to combat Traffic a Peak Times of the Day.

Can't have a bus station there as it's part of the uni.

(15 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm)Tom wrote Can't have a bus station there as it's part of the uni.

Is it, but the site isn't being used for anything though, and has been in that condition for a while now.

Edit: The Business School is just off of Gallowgate, But the other bit which is the College is on Westmorland Road/Rye Hill, so therefore I would think that site I have pinpointed is Available, Unless of course it is owned by the University and they have Plans to Build on it.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Is it, but the site isn't being used for anything though, and has been in that condition for a while now.

Edit: The Business School is just off of Gallowgate, But the other bit which is the College is on Westmorland Road/Rye Hill, so therefore I would think that site I have pinpointed is Available, Unless of course it is owned by the University and they have Plans to Build on it.

But there's also the location, and those busy junctions around the site. Majority of people travelling to Newcastle are going to be in and around Haymarket, Northumberland Street, Eldon Square, and Grey/Grainger/Market Street. I'd say that site is a good 10 minute walk away from everything, therefore unsuitable to accommodate everyone.

(15 Jul 2014, 5:10 pm)aureolin wrote But there's also the location, and those busy junctions around the site. Majority of people travelling to Newcastle are going to be in and around Haymarket, Northumberland Street, Eldon Square, and Grey/Grainger/Market Street. I'd say that site is a good 10 minute walk away from everything, therefore unsuitable to accommodate everyone.

To be honest it's the as same Leeds and Bradford for example, took me 7/8 Minutes to Walk from the Bus Station to the Main Shopping Area in Leeds, and it's a canny walk from Bradford Interchange to the shopping Area in Bradford also, and where else could you possibly build a New Bus Station in Newcastle, that is suitably sized.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 15 Jul 2014

One of the worst areas for congestion in the Toon is Haymarket. Quite often, buses can take 5 minutes to get around the corner to St Mary's Place.

(15 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote To be honest it's the as same Leeds and Bradford for example, took me 7/8 Minutes to Walk from the Bus Station to the Main Shopping Area in Leeds, and it's a canny walk from Bradford Interchange to the shopping Area in Bradford also, and where else could you possibly build a New Bus Station in Newcastle, that is suitably sized.

Does the free bus still circle Leeds?
It is a few years since I have been in the City Centre, but there was a bus (Solo possibly), which was funded by various public and private bodies, which operated a loop of the city, linking key areas.

(15 Jul 2014, 5:26 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote One of the worst areas for congestion in the Toon is Haymarket. Quite often, buses can take 5 minutes to get around the corner to St Mary's Place.

30mins+ on regular occasions to get over the High Level from Eldon Sq southbound!

(15 Jul 2014, 5:31 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Does the free bus still circle Leeds?
It is a few years since I have been in the City Centre, but there was a bus (Solo possibly), which was funded by various public and private bodies, which operated a loop of the city, linking key areas.

Yeah it does, Similar Services operate in Bradford and Wakefield also, and no doubt in other Areas of Yorkshire using Optare Solos, Although the one in Bradford was a Mix of Solos and a Plaxton Primo, I of course ended up on the Primo and it was horrible.

The Services are Very Well used also, much like the Quaylink and Sunderland Connect up here, with exception of the Services in Yorkshire being Free.

(15 Jul 2014, 5:31 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Does the free bus still circle Leeds?

30mins+ on regular occasions to get over the High Level from Eldon Sq southbound!

Must admit, never waited that long - took 15 minutes max.

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 15 Jul 2014

[Image: worswick_street.jpg]

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 15 Jul 2014

Then there was Marlborough Crescent:-

http://www.bpears.org.uk/Albums/MarlboroughCrescent/

(15 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm)Tom wrote Must admit, never waited that long - took 15 minutes max.

Can't remember it happening too recently, but it is usually on a cold, dark winter night - when all you can see out of the window is rain and condensation.

RE: Go North East - Latest - DanPicken - 15 Jul 2014

It took that on the 58 once.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/122-a-day-use-the-ad122/

"Mark Ellis, development manager at Go North East, said: “We were very pleased to be chosen to operate this year’s Hadrian’s Wall Bus Service. Appropriately, an average of almost 122 people a day have been using the AD122 this season. We’ve a range of tickets from single fares for people who want to walk in one direction and catch the bus back, to three-day family tickets for people who want to take the time to fully explore the area, with through tickets available to and from Newcastle."

Decent passenger loads actually. A lot more than I'd expect it to carry in a day.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Is it, but the site isn't being used for anything though, and has been in that condition for a while now.

Seem to remember them using it for some sort of dig? Im not sure though.

(15 Jul 2014, 6:22 pm)aureolin wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/122-a-day-use-the-ad122/

"Mark Ellis, development manager at Go North East, said: “We were very pleased to be chosen to operate this year’s Hadrian’s Wall Bus Service. Appropriately, an average of almost 122 people a day have been using the AD122 this season. We’ve a range of tickets from single fares for people who want to walk in one direction and catch the bus back, to three-day family tickets for people who want to take the time to fully explore the area, with through tickets available to and from Newcastle."

Decent passenger loads actually. A lot more than I'd expect it to carry in a day.

Imagine if the tickets were reasonably priced for people living in the region?
Numbers could have been even higher!

(15 Jul 2014, 2:29 pm)Dan wrote Speaking of passenger numbers... let's see how the 99 does!

So far (Seaburn-Barnes)
1 Nexus CAT, 3 singles, 11 OAPs, 1 Network One, 3 Key, 1 Paper Day/Weekly Ticket

Do you reckon it would have made a loss there?

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm)Tom wrote Do you reckon it would have made a loss there?
Nah, reckon that's a pretty decent load (when operated by an MPD with better fuel economy)...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 6:29 pm)Dan wrote Nah, reckon that's a pretty decent load (when operated by an MPD with better fuel economy)...

Not bad loading's, still only 3 paying customer's though

(15 Jul 2014, 6:31 pm)Michael wrote Not bad loading's, still only 3 paying customer's though

3 cash fares, but still wouldn't that be 9 paying customers?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 6:39 pm)aureolin wrote 3 cash fares, but still wouldn't that be 9 paying customers?

1 Nexus CAT + 11 OAPS = 4
3 singles = 3
1 Network One, 3 Key, 1 Paper Day/Weekly Ticket = 2..roughly.

So yeah, 9 in total.

(15 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm)Dan wrote 1 Nexus CAT + 11 OAPS = 4
3 singles = 3
1 Network One, 3 Key, 1 Paper Day/Weekly Ticket = 2..roughly.

So yeah, 9 in total.

See I'd still have classed anyone pre-paying for their travel with multi journey tickets as 1 fare paying customer each?

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 5:42 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Yeah it does, Similar Services operate in Bradford and Wakefield also, and no doubt in other Areas of Yorkshire using Optare Solos, Although the one in Bradford was a Mix of Solos and a Plaxton Primo, I of course ended up on the Primo and it was horrible.

The Services are Very Well used also, much like the Quaylink and Sunderland Connect up here, with exception of the Services in Yorkshire being Free.

The City bus in Leeds isn't free any more, 50p single fare on that one for the last year or so... Free with most day tickets or rail ticket etc.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 6:09 pm)danpick wrote It took that on the 58 once.

I remember one night when the students came in September last year. The 309 (Omnicity), left at 1633 and had unusually roughly a half load by the time it left St Marys Place on time. By the time the bus got to Benfield Road, the driver reported that he would be approximately 35 minutes late when he eventually got to Blyth. It took us 30 minutes to get to Corner House
and ended up 20 minutes later than usual home. A week later, I got the 310 at 1640 due to missing the 309 before but with a short walk but still quicker than waiting for the 1648 309. We ended up running 15 minutes late despite leaving on time.