North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 12 Nov 2013

Following on from 8247's Northern repaint last week, 8251 has also been repainted into Northern livery.
I'm guessing 8248-50 are VOR and have been unable to go for VOR, hence 8251's repaint this week instead.

(11 Nov 2013, 11:36 am)Liam wrote 5353 is another artic which has been debranded.

A photo can be viewed by clicking here.

Similarly, it appears 8296 and 8298 are two Saltwell Park branded Versas to have been de-branded.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 12 Nov 2013

Is all the Citylink Bendies getting withdrawn or will a couple of be kept in service for the Christmas period?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 12 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm)Michael wrote Is all the Citylink Bendies getting withdrawn or will a couple of be kept in service for the Christmas period?

I was thinking about this. Surely it makes sense to keep one or two of the better condition ones as spares for the X66 and X40?

(12 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm)Michael wrote Is all the Citylink Bendies getting withdrawn or will a couple of be kept in service for the Christmas period?

I believe the plan was to sell them all - even if it is to a number of sources. Not sure if that's still happening though.

I was thinking the same, they should keep a few in service for over Christmas, maybe keep 1 or 2 after for the X66 for weekends.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 12 Nov 2013

I think 5340-5346 (57 Reg Examples) will stay for the X40/X66 and DFDS Journeys over the Christmas Period, while 5349-5356 (54 Reg Examples) will be Withdrawn and Sold.

just noticed this on the GNE site:

http://www.simplygo.com/news/proud-sponsors-of-3d-challenge

Just top 2 paragraphs..

We love innovation and constantly look at technology and ways that new products can help make travelling by bus better.

That's why we are are proud to be sponsoring the 3D Challenge. This is a new Design and Enterprise Competition for 14-25 year olds in the North East.

Also mentions, New look
Drifter buses
New Saltwell Park buses
Citylink 58 buses
New Venture buses coming soon - watch this space!

(12 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I think 5340-5346 (57 Reg Examples) will stay for the X40/X66 and DFDS Journeys over the Christmas Period, while 5349-5356 (54 Reg Examples) will be Withdrawn and Sold.

I was under the impression that 5344 is one that has been missing since August or so? They'd have a hard time using that one on the X66! Tongue

Would it be cost effective to replace the Solar Fusions on service X40? After all, they've not long been repainted externally - in a rather intricate livery design at that!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 12 Nov 2013

Don't know if anyone's noticed but the Lambton Worm page on the GNE website has been updated with the new logo and now features a Versa instead of a Renown.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 12 Nov 2013

With not being on one, unless it was off route (only a few times)- not sure what other people have experienced of them - but seen a couple of Versa's struggle to get around seemingly normal corners on the 34/34a these last few days.

Is the turning circle deceptively small, due to the positioning of the door over the wheel, or are drivers still getting used to them?

(12 Nov 2013, 9:23 pm)Liam wrote Cobalt Clipper Ominicity 5259 should now be blue ahead of transfer to Chester-le-Street for Whey-Aye-Five-0 services.

Do we envisage a similar design to that of the Drifter and Coaster?

(12 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm)Adam wrote Don't know if anyone's noticed but the Lambton Worm page on the GNE website has been updated with the new logo and now features a Versa instead of a Renown.

I noted it earlier but u described it better :p

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 12 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 9:29 pm)andreos1 wrote With not being on one, unless it was off route (only a few times)- not sure what other people have experienced of them - but seen a couple of Versa's struggle to get around seemingly normal corners on the 34/34a these last few days.

Is the turning circle deceptively small, due to the positioning of the door over the wheel, or are drivers still getting used to them?

The Versa's quite often struggled at Dawdon at the mini roundabout on mount Stewart street if anyone's knows the area, it's a tightish corner with cars parked around but they didn't seem to cope too well but weren't that bad either- if you know what I mean!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 12 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm)Michael wrote I noted it earlier but u described it better :p

must have completely missed it haha. Sorry

(12 Nov 2013, 9:23 pm)Liam wrote Cobalt Clipper Ominicity 5259 should now be blue ahead of transfer to Chester-le-Street for Whey-Aye-Five-0 services.

Least all the buses are getting repainted early and not last minute

(12 Nov 2013, 9:34 pm)Adam wrote must have completely missed it haha. Sorry

Its ok haha XD, it happens but you desribed it better

(12 Nov 2013, 9:31 pm)aureolin wrote Do we envisage a similar design to that of the Drifter and Coaster?

I'd hope not as it gets slightly daft having a three brands identically. In GNE's point of view, it saves money on designing a new brand then why not it's not like a large proportion of passengers would even see a Drifter/Coaster/Whey Aye Five-0 let alone use two or more they cover three different areas. So why not utilise a few designs slightly revised? If it gives a future to more routes a better designed brand (albeit a few sharing a same design) why not? Especially as I point out when coaster passengers probably never even see let alone use the 50 or the drifter. The only way I would object if let's say three brands operating in a same city had same brand design (Prince Bishops/Lime/Silver Arrows) for arguments sake, as they all end in Sunderland.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 12 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 9:32 pm)CatsFast101 wrote The Versa's quite often struggled at Dawdon at the mini roundabout on mount Stewart street if anyone's knows the area, it's a tightish corner with cars parked around but they didn't seem to cope too well but weren't that bad either- if you know what I mean!

Yeah, know where you mean in Dawdon.

Seen them a few times in the Pelaw Bank and Waldridge Park areas and when coming out of the Estates, they seemingly need additional space to get their swing - which means waiting until the opposite side of the road is clear.

Could only put it down to drivers getting their bearings or the front end sticking out quite a bit compared to other vehicles (positioning of the forward wheels)

(12 Nov 2013, 9:39 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I'd hope not as it gets slightly daft having a three brands identically. In GNE's point of view, it saves money on designing a new brand then why not it's not like a large proportion of passengers would even see a Drifter/Coaster/Whey Aye Five-0 let alone use two or more they cover three different areas. So why not utilise a few designs slightly revised? If it gives a future to more routes a better designed brand (albeit a few sharing a same design) why not? Especially as I point out when coaster passengers probably never even see let alone use the 50 or the drifter. The only way I would object if let's say three brands operating in a same city had same brand design (Prince Bishops/Lime/Silver Arrows) for arguments sake, as they all end in Sunderland.

So are you for or against the idea? Little bit confused. Tongue

(12 Nov 2013, 9:39 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I'd hope not as it gets slightly daft having a three brands identically. In GNE's point of view, it saves money on designing a new brand then why not it's not like a large proportion of passengers would even see a Drifter/Coaster/Whey Aye Five-0 let alone use two or more they cover three different areas. So why not utilise a few designs slightly revised? If it gives a future to more routes a better designed brand (albeit a few sharing a same design) why not? Especially as I point out when coaster passengers probably never even see let alone use the 50 or the drifter. The only way I would object if let's say three brands operating in a same city had same brand design (Prince Bishops/Lime/Silver Arrows) for arguments sake, as they all end in Sunderland.

Fancy having a uniform design across multiple bus services. Wink Just preference I guess, but I'd like to see some sort of link across multiple brands. Drifter/Coaster, and Citylink/Tynedale Express being two sets of current examples.

(12 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm)aureolin wrote Fancy having a uniform design across multiple bus services. Wink Just preference I guess, but I'd like to see some sort of link across multiple brands. Drifter/Coaster, and Citylink/Tynedale Express being two sets of current examples.

When I first heard about the Drifter having a very similar livery design to the Coaster, I was dead against the idea of it.
When I saw how well it had actually turned out on the Drifter, it really did change my opinion completely. As the vehicles are different, the livery does differ somewhat too. It means that one livery can be thought about in depth (i.e. Coaster) and it can be used across multiple services. It saves Go North East money, and it also doesn't really affect the customer - as CatsFast101 says, it's unlikely that John and Mary will see a Drifter and a Coaster in the same day, so there's no great harm in doing it.
Of course the Citylink/Tynedalexpress was another matter and that has been discussed on the forum previously, but I wouldn't mind seeing this done to more brands across the network if it means that the standard will improve.

(12 Nov 2013, 10:02 pm)Dan wrote When I first heard about the Drifter having a very similar livery design to the Coaster, I was dead against the idea of it.
When I saw how well it had actually turned out on the Drifter, it really did change my opinion completely. As the vehicles are different, the livery does differ somewhat too. It means that one livery can be thought about in depth (i.e. Coaster) and it can be used across multiple services. It saves Go North East money, and it also doesn't really affect the customer - as CatsFast101 says, it's unlikely that John and Mary will see a Drifter and a Coaster in the same day, so there's no great harm in doing it.
Of course the Citylink/Tynedalexpress was another matter and that has been discussed on the forum previously, but I wouldn't mind seeing this done to more brands across the network if it means that the standard will improve.

Well I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons really. I don't think it's a great idea, but I don't see it as something bad either. I was initially think um not to keen on that but after thinking about it I think if could be a good thing especially as we both say if it improves the branding across the network. Drifter & Coaster (and possibly Whey Aye 5-0) all run by the coast. A similarly livery works well (as demonstrated by coaster/Drifter). Things like East Durham & Venture could follow a similar livery with both serving local communities with lifeline bus services in many instances.

Obviously I think the way GNE do branding is very unique every branded service if (bar a few) a completely different design unlike most other operators who use a revised colour, design for a special service branding. But as I've said above if branding improves and this could also allow other services to be branded, why not?

Sorry im going back, which other Omnicitys are going blue for whey aye five-0?

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 13 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 7:29 pm)Dan wrote I believe the plan was to sell them all - even if it is to a number of sources. Not sure if that's still happening though.

Why bother debranding them if you're going to sell them anyway?!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 13 Nov 2013

(12 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm)Michael wrote Sorry im going back, which other Omnicitys are going blue for whey aye five-0?

5255-60

(13 Nov 2013, 1:02 am)tyresmoke wrote Why bother debranding them if you're going to sell them anyway?!

I guess it's pretty common practice of Go North East, regardless of who they're being sold to - be it the scrap man or an alternative source...
As soon as buses are withdrawn, they're typically de-branded.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 13 Nov 2013

(13 Nov 2013, 6:51 am)Dan wrote 5255-60

Cheers =)

Wonder if the rest of the Cobalt Clipper omnicitys could be allocated somewhere else?

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 13 Nov 2013

(13 Nov 2013, 7:34 am)Michael wrote Cheers =)

Wonder if the rest of the Cobalt Clipper omnicitys could be allocated somewhere else?

To X30/X31 aren't they?

(13 Nov 2013, 7:34 am)Michael wrote Cheers =)

You're welcome Tongue

Go North East confirmed earlier this year on their Facebook page that they were looking at an upgrade for services X30/X31, as the current vehicles are not suitable (pushchair/wheelchair bays). I wonder if they're to be repainted Northern and go to Stanley? Wink