North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 12 Aug 2013

(12 Aug 2013, 8:32 pm)gtomlinson wrote Rob?!

Do we think Ian Hignett or Andy Clifford would know? (if they aren't on here?)

I'm off work this week or I'd ask the driver in the morning!

Do we have any Birtley members who could pop down and receive eternal gratefulness for finding out?

I'm not sure? I guess it depends on whether they know the route. The NEXUS timetable is no good either - stating Station Road and Durham Road only in both directions. I wonder if they leave it up to the driver to find a place to turn the bus around?

RE: Go North East - Dan - 12 Aug 2013

I've said for the past month to myself that I'd get myself to Birtley for it but never manage... Would still like to get a photo before the services are upgraded though...

RE: Go North East - gtom - 12 Aug 2013

(12 Aug 2013, 8:34 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I'm not sure? I guess it depends on whether they know the route. The NEXUS timetable is no good either - stating Station Road and Durham Road only in both directions. I wonder if they leave it up to the driver to find a place to turn the bus around?

Well he's got 7 minutes. I've just looked on MyJourney and I may have solved it!

The Northbound War Memorial Stop (outside the BT exchange office) isn't served by the 28B but the Southbound does list it.

So it must go along Ravensworth Road and Edward Street then terminate at The War Memorial (South)

(12 Aug 2013, 8:35 pm)Daniel wrote I've said for the past month to myself that I'd get myself to Birtley for it but never manage... Would still like to get a photo before the services are upgraded though...

Decent spot Birtley for a bit of spotting though you'll not see too much rarity.

23/M2/28AB/M3/M2A/21/X22/TB14/occasional X21s/Arriva X2 AND X24 and the Birtley Swimming Pool (generally bus stop opposite Komatsu) is good during term time for indy companies running school swimming services

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 12 Aug 2013

What are the timings for this 28b?
I spent the 1st 11years of my life in Birtley and still have family/friends/aquaintences there, so get over quite a bit.

Will see if I can find out.

Completely forgot about Arriva working the M2 on a night.
I knew the 28b would be a Chester working, but thought they could pick up a Washington service, like when the M3 ran onto a 34 a few years back.

(12 Aug 2013, 8:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote What are the timings for this 28b?
I spent the 1st 11years of my life in Birtley and still have family/friends/aquaintences there, so get over quite a bit.

Will see if I can find out.

Completely forgot about Arriva working the M2 on a night.
I knew the 28b would be a Chester working, but thought they could pick up a Washington service, like when the M3 ran onto a 34 a few years back.

The 28B arrives 14 past and leaves at 21 from 21.21 (a 20.50 departure from South Burns)

(12 Aug 2013, 8:40 pm)gtomlinson wrote Well he's got 7 minutes. I've just looked on MyJourney and I may have solved it!

The Northbound War Memorial Stop (outside the BT exchange office) isn't served by the 28B but the Southbound does list it.

So it must go along Ravensworth Road and Edward Street then terminate at The War Memorial (South)

I think you're right! Although, it doesn't serve the Fire Station stop, so may also exit on to Durham Road via Mitchell Street if it's easier?

(12 Aug 2013, 8:51 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I think you're right! Although, it doesn't serve the Fire Station stop, so may also exit on to Durham Road via Mitchell Street if it's easier?

A bit too tight for my liking for a DAF

Mitchell Street - that is bad enough getting down on a pushbike, never mind a bus.

Is that the only run it does? What sort of notice do I have? Is it stopping at the end of the month or something?

(12 Aug 2013, 8:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote Mitchell Street - that is bad enough getting down on a pushbike, never mind a bus.

Is that the only run it does? What sort of notice do I have? Is it stopping at the end of the month or something?

No, its on the Sept 1st timetables, I was just curious to the route having been working in Birtley again today

(12 Aug 2013, 8:53 pm)gtomlinson wrote A bit too tight for my liking for a DAF

Ooops, scrap that! It's a one way street, so no exiting on to Durham Road anyway! Tongue
Just going by Google Maps - I don't know the area all that well

(12 Aug 2013, 8:56 pm)gtomlinson wrote No, its on the Sept 1st timetables, I was just curious to the route having been working in Birtley again today

Its starting on the 1st?
Missed a lot of these changes, so will have to catch up with them.

(12 Aug 2013, 8:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote Its starting on the 1st?
Missed a lot of these changes, so will have to catch up with them.

No, it started a while ago. But it's shown on the 28/28A/28B service changes for September, so it isn't being withdrawn.

Got you!

Will see if I can check it out, if I'm over that way or will try and find out from someone who lives over that way.

(12 Aug 2013, 9:02 pm)Andreos1 wrote Got you!

Will see if I can check it out, if I'm over that way or will try and find out from someone who lives over that way.

It's an evenings-only service, I've attached the current and future timetables.

Before 01/09/13

On and after 01/09/13

RE: Go North East - CatsFast101 - 12 Aug 2013

If remember correctly I think the 28B uses a Waggonway DAF currently, which then goes onto a 34.

Edit: Speaking of the 34 one of the 50's on a morning now starts from The Avenue/Bullion Lane. Which is included on the new 34 timetable. I wonder considering they are now remembering the Lambton worm exists that it might get a page on the website.

RE: Go North East - LVK 404L - 13 Aug 2013

Quaylink versa 8312 on South TYne 5 this morning

RE: Go North East - Dan - 13 Aug 2013

(12 Aug 2013, 9:47 pm)CatsFast101 wrote If remember correctly I think the 28B uses a Waggonway DAF currently, which then goes onto a 34.

Edit: Speaking of the 34 one of the 50's on a morning now starts from The Avenue/Bullion Lane. Which is included on the new 34 timetable. I wonder considering they are now remembering the Lambton worm exists that it might get a page on the website.

I think the lad that provided me with the info regarding the Lambton Worm may have been wrong, looking at the timetables. I'm sure it was like a 'dedicated driver' sort of thing though - the driver of the 34 would go back to the depot at 1943 after finishing on 34s for the day and then later another driver would come back out ready for the 2050 departure of the 28B on the same vehicle, and would stay on it all night. He'd receive a break in the middle too, before the final departure.
Assuming he was wrong, where do you think it goes onto the 34s? The 34 timetable doesn't mention any changeovers as I'm sure it should do.

RE: Go North East - CatsFast101 - 13 Aug 2013

(13 Aug 2013, 7:23 am)Daniel wrote I think the lad that provided me with the info regarding the Lambton Worm may have been wrong, looking at the timetables. I'm sure it was like a 'dedicated driver' sort of thing though - the driver of the 34 would go back to the depot at 1943 after finishing on 34s for the day and then later another driver would come back out ready for the 2050 departure of the 28B on the same vehicle, and would stay on it all night. He'd receive a break in the middle too, before the final departure.
Assuming he was wrong, where do you think it goes onto the 34s? The 34 timetable doesn't mention any changeovers as I'm sure it should do.

Well the evening & Sunday 34's heading to Waldridge Park take about 10 Mins longer and require a change at Chester-Le-Street. My understanding was that a 28 came in set down at south burns at 20:45 then goes round onto Front Street to work the remaining part of the 34A to Waldridge Park, leaving at 20:52. Then the bus that did 20:26 34A departure from Ouston gets into Chester for 20:42, drops off any through passengers on front street then runs round and does the 20:50 departure on the 28B at South Burns. It's the same on a Sunday 11:26 34A departure from Ouston does the same, drops off through passengers on front street at 11:42, runs round to South Bjrns for the 11:47 28 departure. The 28 from Newcastle would get into Chester at 11:48 then it runs round to front street to work the remaining 34A to Waldridge Park at 11:52.

On the evenings, I think it's a pointless interworking as on Sunday it's because the route takes a little more than hour (including layover times) so thats why the interworking allows them to have extra time. However on evenings, i think 5 mins layover at South Burns in adequet in my opinion so I'm not sure why this happens, as it only case as disruption to through passengers on the 34- which if unavoidable fair enough I suppose, but in this case I don't see why it needs to? Anyone got any ideas? It must happen as I have no other reasons hy the 34A's need a change of buses in Chester. The only explanation I have is that this way means the 34A takes up a wholly one hour cycle, as the route doesn't really allow for much layover either side at Ouston/Urpeth or at Waldridge Park, so the extra time to keep the service on track is used in Chester on the route forward, and interworking allows them to kill time (so it becomes an hour round trip) and also helps with time keeping.

Also on a different point. The Waggonway and Lambton Worm timetables both picture a B10BLE. Do we think this is a hint of what they'll be getting or? And also in my opinion, the Solars that have been painted plum can't be for the Waggonway almost certainly not- colour is wrong 100%. So I'd make a suggestion they'd be going to Wear Tees Xpress, they'd only need 4 Solars. 5 others could then go to the Waggonway, with then the dreadful B10's from WTX going to Lambton Worm or there was talk of the freed Versa's at Deptford going across. But this doesn't explain why they'd show a branded B10BLE unless it just to put something on there? Don't know.

Initially I'd thought the Versa's would go to the 39 but now that it's been classed as a Northern Route on the new changes, it suggests the end of the Doxford Clipper. I'm wondering if we could see it back in the future though, it makes no sense going to northern when the route has just had frequency increase?! It's very bizare they only thing I can think of is that going northern allows for greater flexibility of vehicles, I means since the changes there's been MPDs, SPD's, Presidents, Versas, Renowns, Cadets all allocated to the short or long 39's. Could this be the reason? I suppose when we see the new look 39 timetable it might become clearer.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 13 Aug 2013

Info from service changes -
Service 687 will run hourly between Highford Park, Wydon Park, Hexham, Beaufront and Corbridge.
Service 684 will be replaced by new services 687 and X84.

Timetable:
Highford Park-Hexham-Corbridge - works as a loop - Hourly. http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/56015.7

X84/X85 Timetable here to http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/55974.36

Both in the rubbish style atm.

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 13 Aug 2013

Don't Arriva currently run an X85 service also? That will get confusing!

The Sunday X84 timetable is a bit odd too - although, if it's like the 684, I think it interworks with the 74A or another Hexham-based service?

RE: Go North East - gtom - 13 Aug 2013

3864 is on Angel duties covering a short run from Coach and Horses to Chester

Im not sure about the X85 for Arriva.

Also.. A separate timetable for the X39 has being uploaded... http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/56057.04

(13 Aug 2013, 9:34 am)CatsFast101 wrote Also on a different point. The Waggonway and Lambton Worm timetables both picture a B10BLE. Do we think this is a hint of what they'll be getting or? And also in my opinion, the Solars that have been painted plum can't be for the Waggonway almost certainly not- colour is wrong 100%. So I'd make a suggestion they'd be going to Wear Tees Xpress, they'd only need 4 Solars. 5 others could then go to the Waggonway, with then the dreadful B10's from WTX going to Lambton Worm or there was talk of the freed Versa's at Deptford going across. But this doesn't explain why they'd show a branded B10BLE unless it just to put something on there? Don't know.

Initially I'd thought the Versa's would go to the 39 but now that it's been classed as a Northern Route on the new changes, it suggests the end of the Doxford Clipper. I'm wondering if we could see it back in the future though, it makes no sense going to northern when the route has just had frequency increase?! It's very bizare they only thing I can think of is that going northern allows for greater flexibility of vehicles, I means since the changes there's been MPDs, SPD's, Presidents, Versas, Renowns, Cadets all allocated to the short or long 39's. Could this be the reason? I suppose when we see the new look 39 timetable it might become clearer.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/gnefleetsearch.php?fleetno=®=&chassis=&bodywork=&depot=&livery=plum&year=
Five vehicles have been repainted into a plum base livery. The "Wear Tees Xpress" X7 PVR is three, and Deptford holds a branded spare also. Five vehicles wouldn't be repainted into this plum livery for the "Wear Tees Xpress", four would.

We've previously discussed relying on timetables for knowledge of branding and vehicle types being used on a specific service, and in my opinion, we really can't. From past experience, the timetables have not always been correct.

Although no official confirmation has been given by any of our Go North East representatives regarding these repainted Solars, I still do believe they are for "The Waggonway" 28/28A. I was reluctant to believe at first that they were for "The Waggonway", and I indeed thought that they would be for the X7, given that we have had confirmation that the X7 is in line for a vehicle upgrade to release B10BLEs to "Northern", allowing for further SPD withdrawal. When a fifth Solar was repainted, it became evident that they were not for the X7, and the rumours that arose regarding them being for the 28 seemed more likely.

I still think that the "Lambton Worm" brand will become defunct, and the service(s) under that brand will become "Northern". B10BLE usage here seems likely, if the service is to become "Northern".

We should have all noticed by now that B10BLEs within the fleet are not being used on branded services, and are indeed becoming the new SPDs. "The Centurion" is the exception to this, though I imagine this would have been a cheaper alternative to repainting the vehicles for them possibly to stay at Percy Main anyway. That said, I do believe, as the vehicles are Euro 4 as opposed to Euro 2 or 3, that they will be the last B10BLEs in the fleet to be branded.

We've also previously discussed the 39.

There are ten vehicles branded as "SimpliCity", with an additional Versa in the same batch now being branded as the centenary vehicle:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/gnefleetsearch.php?fleetno=®=&chassis=&bodywork=&depot=&livery=simplicity&year=

Prior to 8319 being branded, I was reluctant to believe that 8319 would be branded as the centenary vehicle as she was required later in the year.

I propose that "SimpliCity" 42 retains five Versas (8325-29, as they are specifically branded for the 42 unless they have changed the additional vinyls regarding frequency now?), while 8320-24 are allocated to service 39. 8319 is the branded spare, providing it is put back into "SimpliCity" livery. With a PVR of 8 at present, the 39 is due an upgrade. I believe that the extra short weekday runs were only a temporary solution as something needed to be done, and Deptford had the SPDs that should be allocated to the service, spare. An increased seating capacity on the 39 would then allow these extra runs to be dropped and capacity issues wouldn't be so much of an issue as they previously were on the MPDs. Back to the original PVR of 5. Voila!
Going back to the point made above, this would demonstrate another inaccuracy with timetables, and shows that we cannot always believe them for the above factors mentioned.

(13 Aug 2013, 10:03 am)Michael wrote Im not sure about the X85 for Arriva.

Arriva North East operate a peak time express version of the 685 between Newcastle and Hexham.
See timetable here.

On weekdays, the X85 departs Newcastle towards Hexham on mornings at 0615, 0640 and 0835, with arrival times at Hexham being 0653, 0718 and 0913 respectively.
On weekdays, the X85 departs Hexham towards Newcastle at 0700 and 0745, arriving 0739 and 0830 respectively.

An additional evening X85 service is operated by Arriva on weekday evenings between Newcastle and Hexham. It departs Newcastle at 1720 and arrives Hexham at 1800.

Don't forget the Streetlites, that will give us 8 more versa's from the Drifter

I can see these going to the 61 -5 branded + u will have 3 spare

We now have 8320-24 left from the Simplicity + 3 Spare + 8319 will become Simplicity, hopefully for the 39.

Or the 39 drops down to every 15 mins for its full route - that means it will require 7 buses (going from new timetable)

Tbh i dont think any of us have a bloody idea what will happen for the fleet changes over the next couple of months.

We know that the SB's will go and some more SPD

Info for the Great North Run - http://www.simplygo.com/news/great-north-run-2013-extra-buses-and-a-special-m-ticket-to-save-you-money

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 13 Aug 2013

The timetable from September 1 for 'OK Way' 18 is uploaded in the new style, but does not feature a bus image.

(13 Aug 2013, 10:18 am)Michael wrote Don't forget the Streetlites, that will give us 8 more versa's from the Drifter

I can see these going to the 61 -5 branded + u will have 3 spare

We now have 8320-24 left from the Simplicity + 3 Spare + 8319 will become Simplicity, hopefully for the 39.

Or the 39 drops down to every 15 mins for its full route - that means it will require 7 buses (going from new timetable)

Tbh i dont think any of us have a bloody idea what will happen for the fleet changes over the next couple of months.

We know that the SB's will go and some more SPD

Info for the Great North Run - http://www.simplygo.com/news/great-north-run-2013-extra-buses-and-a-special-m-ticket-to-save-you-money

With an upgrade, usually comes a decreased frequency - that's why I said the 20 minute frequency used on Saturdays at present will be reinstated. The 10 minute frequency Sunderland to Doxford Park has hardly been successful. In the other direction it has helped decrease loadings on the normal full route runs.
Assuming an MPD is allocated to the 39, the overall capacity is 29 + 17 = 46. If a Versa was allocated, however, the overall capacity would be 38 + 22 = 60. Per hour, I reckon it would be a decrease in overall capacity considering the additional Mon-Fri short runs, but I don't see it being a problem all in all.

"Drifter" branded Versas will go to the 61, with the new Streetlites on the 60. As you say, three are spare. If they want a branded spare to help Deptford out a little, two are spare.
The M2/M3 PVR is 8 if I am correct, and there are 8 "Saltwell Park" branded Versas. After the Streetlites arrive for the "Saltwell Park" 53/54, these will transfer to Washington for the "Washington Street Shuttle" brand, while the MPDs will cascade down to other depots to perhaps replace older MPDs within the fleet.
An idea I had that was also previously mentioned, was that the two spare from Deptford could either be used on "The OK Way" service 18 or they could go to Washington for Street Shuttle spares - I think I'm going with the former suggestion being the more feasible idea though! Again, this would suggest why the updated "The OK Way" timetable does not hold a branded vehicle. Wink
If Deptford were not to be helped out a little, Crook's "The OK Way" service 18 could potentially be extended, as has been requested many a time. PVR would increase by 1, and the three spare Versas from the "Drifter" brand could go to "The OK Way" instead of just two.

(13 Aug 2013, 10:06 am)Daniel wrote http://northeastbuses.co.uk/gnefleetsearch.php?fleetno=®=&chassis=&bodywork=&depot=&livery=plum&year=
Five vehicles have been repainted into a plum base livery. The "Wear Tees Xpress" X7 PVR is three, and Deptford holds a branded spare also. Five vehicles wouldn't be repainted into this plum livery for the "Wear Tees Xpress", four would.

We've previously discussed relying on timetables for knowledge of branding and vehicle types being used on a specific service, and in my opinion, we really can't. From past experience, the timetables have not always been correct.

Although no official confirmation has been given by any of our Go North East representatives regarding these repainted Solars, I still do believe they are for "The Waggonway" 28/28A. I was reluctant to believe at first that they were for "The Waggonway", and I indeed thought that they would be for the X7, given that we have had confirmation that the X7 is in line for a vehicle upgrade to release B10BLEs to "Northern", allowing for further SPD withdrawal. When a fifth Solar was repainted, it became evident that they were not for the X7, and the rumours that arose regarding them being for the 28 seemed more likely.

I still think that the "Lambton Worm" brand will become defunct, and the service(s) under that brand will become "Northern". B10BLE usage here seems likely, if the service is to become "Northern".

We should have all noticed by now that B10BLEs within the fleet are not being used on branded services, and are indeed becoming the new SPDs. "The Centurion" is the exception to this, though I imagine this would have been a cheaper alternative to repainting the vehicles for them possibly to stay at Percy Main anyway. That said, I do believe, as the vehicles are Euro 4 as opposed to Euro 2 or 3, that they will be the last B10BLEs in the fleet to be branded.

We've also previously discussed the 39.

There are ten vehicles branded as "SimpliCity", with an additional Versa in the same batch now being branded as the centenary vehicle:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/gnefleetsearch.php?fleetno=®=&chassis=&bodywork=&depot=&livery=simplicity&year=

Prior to 8319 being branded, I was reluctant to believe that 8319 would be branded as the centenary vehicle as she was required later in the year.

I propose that "SimpliCity" 42 retains five Versas (8325-29, as they are specifically branded for the 42 unless they have changed the additional vinyls regarding frequency now?), while 8320-24 are allocated to service 39. 8319 is the branded spare, providing it is put back into "SimpliCity" livery. With a PVR of 8 at present, the 39 is due an upgrade. I believe that the extra short weekday runs were only a temporary solution as something needed to be done, and Deptford had the SPDs that should be allocated to the service, spare. An increased seating capacity on the 39 would then allow these extra runs to be dropped and capacity issues wouldn't be so much of an issue as they previously were on the MPDs. Back to the original PVR of 5. Voila!
Going back to the point made above, this would demonstrate another inaccuracy with timetables, and shows that we cannot always believe them for the above factors mentioned.

I thought that due the fact the Lambton worm doesn't have a lot of online publicity in fact it's bearly mentioned, I thought the timetable would go Northern. But now it's gone to Lambton worm branded and a branded bus picture, I'm thinking that the Lambton worm brand may stay on the 34. I mean if you say your thinking new branded buses for the 39 when it's now be classed a 'Northern' I'd say it's even more likely the 34 will Stay Lambton Worm branded. But I suppose me you and everyone cn speculate on our thoughts etc.

And what confirmation do we have of an X7 upgrade? I didn't know that had been said, could the M1 Solars not be for WTX & the Waggonway (4+5=9) then the other 2 I'm not sure where they'll end up. Then as for the 34 Renowns or the simplicity Versa's is my only thought. Otherwise I'm not sure where new buses for the X7 will come from unless they are going to order some new buses for the X7? Loadings are very good now, I'd argue one of the fastest growing routes in recent times, it started steady but now a lot of people are using it as it provides a lot of newer or faster connections.