North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1435)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Adrian - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote Herbert, Sherbert and friends loved the new buses - especially now that each of their faces are on the front of a bus!

Nice photos Dan. Potential of another cheque from Route One on the way? Wink

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Dan - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 5:34 pm)aureolin wrote Nice photos Dan. Potential of another cheque from Route One on the way? Wink

Ta! Here's hoping he e-mails me again, eh? Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Michael - 17 Apr 2015

Go North East
3 hrs ·
Service #18 has returned to normal route following the completion of works on Woodhouse Close.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Drifter60 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 5:26 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote You cannot see properly through contravision.

He's right to a certain extent though. I don't have to much of a problem with the graphics or contravision, however it's not clear to look out of those, it's probably the best option - but I think the use of graphics covering the windows should be avoiding unless the livery actually requires it. The X7 design I think works alright, but never liked the Prince Bishops from the inside as it was too dark at the back. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Greg in Weardale - 17 Apr 2015

I use X66 five or six times a month, but less than I used X3, but GNE has lost my fare to the Metro there. The point is I don't want to see Lime, sorry Coast & Country, Red Kite or any buses spoilt by covering the windows. A decent brand/livery does not need to cover them at all.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Drifter60 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 5:29 pm)Robert wrote General question: What is the chances of you using the X66 at least once every month?

Also, I'm sure what this question is meant to achieve? Just because someone may/may not be a frequent user of the a service, that makes them more/less right to talk about a livery design? 
Odd.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Michael - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote I use X66 five or six times a month, but less than I used X3, but GNE has lost my fare to the Metro there. The point is I don't want to see Lime, sorry Coast & Country, Red Kite or any buses spoilt by covering the windows. A decent brand/livery does not need to cover them at all.

The old X66 livery was the same, covered over the windows.

Can say the same about Stagecoach's Economic branded buses, which are used on the E's, the back of the bus is covered in branding.

Same as Stockton's "The Zone" branded buses. 

Although i have agree its quite annoying in some way, if you don't know the area it may become confusing. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 17 Apr 2015

I'm sorry but I just don't find sitting on a bus passing through Dunston and Gateshead exciting. To me it's just a service that links buses and Metro to the Metrocentre. To be honest, Dunston is a shithole with nowt there.

I prefer contravision so I don't have to look at people.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - S813 FVK - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm)Drifter60 wrote Also, I'm sure what this question is meant to achieve? Just because someone may/may not be a frequent user that makes them more/less right to talk about a livery design? 
Odd.

No, the question was not anything to do with saying that he couldn't talk about it. It was simply out of pure interest.
Not using a service because they have stuck contravision vinyls over the windows is, in my opinion, quite pathetic and extremely picky.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm)Robert wrote Not using a service because they have stuck contravision vinyls over the windows is, in my opinion, quite pathetic and extremely picky.

I just sit somewhere that doesn't have contravision on the windows. Same cant be said for Stagecoach E400s though.

(17 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm)Robert wrote No, the question was not anything to do with saying that he couldn't talk about it. It was simply out of pure interest.
Not using a service because they have stuck contravision vinyls over the windows is, in my opinion, quite pathetic and extremely picky.

I don't think he once said that though, he more just expressing his own opinion that he doesn't like contravision, and that it does obscure the view.

Dan,
What's the chances of there still being goodies and the selfies bus after 3, tomorrow???

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Adrian - 17 Apr 2015

There's something we're forgetting here. Whether we love or hate branding, in a deregulated market, it's up to the operator and their partners to both market and provide at least an economically viable bus service. Designing buses in extravagant liveries such as this is one way of doing it, and unfortunately it may mean parts of the window become blocked. The primary objective is of course still fulfilled, which is to get you from A to B.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Dan - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm)Drifter60 wrote He's right to a certain extent though. I don't have to much of a problem with the graphics or contravision, however it's not clear to look out of those, it's probably the best option - but I think the use of graphics covering the windows should be avoiding unless the livery actually requires it. The X7 design I think works alright, but never liked the Prince Bishops from the inside as it was too dark at the back. 

I was able to see out of the windows perfectly today.

The issue many had with the branding on the articulated Mercedes Citaros was that the vinyls covered the windows and at the back of the bus it was quite dark. Go North East has responded by using contravision instead on the new Streetlites, which lets light through as it's not a solid vinyl. The same applied to the "Prince Bishops" branded Scanias - due to the changes to the service(s) in January, the branding was slightly altered at the same time so that the mitre covering the window used contravision instead.

When the X7 was upgraded to Mercedes Citaros, the branding was revised so that the 'X' was a bit clearer. On the Volvo B10BLEs, it wasn't as clear as the Volvo B9TLs on the "Tyne Tees Xpress" because the design was condensed to one deck only. The use of contravision made the 'X' clearer whilst not distorting the view from inside to out greatly.

(17 Apr 2015, 6:12 pm)Michael wrote The old X66 livery was the same, covered over the windows.

Can say the same about Stagecoach's Economic branded buses, which are used on the E's, the back of the bus is covered in branding.

Same as Stockton's "The Zone" branded buses. 

Although i have agree its quite annoying in some way, if you don't know the area it may become confusing. 

As long as contravision is used when vinyls cover the windows, I have absolutely no problem with it as you can see straight through. It can improve the design of a livery massively, but it's important that light can still get through.

The design is certainly eye-catching, especially on the dark blue base livery, and it'll certainly grab potential customers' attention when the bus passes them.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - S813 FVK - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote I use X66 five or six times a month, but less than I used X3, but GNE has lost my fare to the Metro there. The point is I don't want to see Lime, sorry Coast & Country, Red Kite or any buses spoilt by covering the windows. A decent brand/livery does not need to cover them at all.

(17 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm)Drifter60 wrote I don't think he once said that though, he more just expressing his own opinion that he doesn't like contravision, and that it does obscure the view.
He did. (bit in bold).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - nk55 - 17 Apr 2015

Its a 10min journey time, surely most people wont even notice there's branding on the windows. I know when i used to travel on the 100 i was either chatting to work mates, reading the paper or listening to music!!

(17 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm)Robert wrote He did. (bit in bold).

Isn't that in reference to the X3 axe? Metro doesn't even go to MetroCentre does it?

(17 Apr 2015, 6:37 pm)Drifter60 wrote Isn't that in reference to the X3 axe? Metro doesn't even go to MetroCentre does it?

The Metrocentre is often referred to as "Metro".

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - northern156 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I'm sorry but I just don't find sitting on a bus passing through Dunston and Gateshead exciting. To me it's just a service that links buses and Metro to the Metrocentre. To be honest, Dunston is a shithole with nowt there.

Each to their own, eh??

I personally don't mind Dunston. Decent Aldi and at the end of the day, it's unique.

(17 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm)northern156 wrote Each to their own, eh??

I personally don't mind Dunston. Decent Aldi and at the end of the day, it's unique.

Lower prices than the others? Got to get down there than, obviously not on the X66 as I won't be able to see it.  Wink Wink

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - northern156 - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Lower prices than the others? Got to get down there than, obviously not on the X66 as I won't be able to see it.  Wink Wink

Food first before anything else! Of which Aldi is quality for on the cheap! Was on about the 49s and 64As etc but even still, not a million miles away. It's got a fair bit of heritage - for example the old railway line walk.

(17 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm)northern156 wrote Food first before anything else! Of which Aldi is quality for on the cheap! Was on about the 49s and 64As etc but even still, not a million miles away. It's got a fair bit of heritage - for example the old railway line walk.

Aye, haven't been through on one of the 'non-expresses', but Dunston has been let down with the lack of investment. The only investment that I've seen was the upgraded Northern Rail stop frequency.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - G-CPTN - 17 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 7:40 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Aye, haven't been through on one of the 'non-expresses', but Dunston has been let down with the lack of investment. The only investment that I've seen was the upgraded Northern Rail stop frequency.

There was a time when buses from Hexham travelled along Derwentwater Road past the Ford Garage there.

Then they stopped, I believe (memory is hazy).

I admit that that was at least ten years ago.

I walked to Dunston Station - which was deserted with no indication of train times.

Eventually a train approached, slowed and stopped, briefly, but didn't open the doors before driving off.

I discovered that (at that time) Dunston was an abandoned, derelict, station.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

(17 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Are you refering to the minion one  Tongue

Just realised what you've been referring to Mr. Calder.  Wink Big Grin

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - citaro5284 - 18 Apr 2015

So hands up who is going for a X66 selfie.....

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Michael - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 9:21 am)citaro5284 wrote So hands up who is going for a X66 selfie.....

Na, i'm going to Newcastle for food and to waste my student loan on stuff i don't need!  Tongue 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - S813 FVK - 18 Apr 2015

From an enthusiasts point of view, it's quite disappointing so i'll decide to give it a miss. I was hoping it would be in another location like the coach park with a bus there just so i could have a quick look. I'm sure it will work in a commercial way though. I have no doubts about it.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 9:21 am)citaro5284 wrote So hands up who is going for a X66 selfie.....

That's not a selfie though? 

Bloody hell, it gets worse. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - northern156 - 18 Apr 2015

Just before it gets slated too much, remember this is a publicity event for the general public who may not already know there's a fast & frequent bus service between the two places.

If someone in the future thinks on and either uses or recommends the X66, GNE have done a good job today.