North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1435)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:07 am)northern156 wrote Just before it gets slated too much, remember this is a publicity event for the general public who may not already know there's a fast & frequent bus service between the two places.

If someone in the future thinks on and either uses or recommends the X66, GNE have done a good job today.

Then buy bendy buses, as the StreetLites can't cope Wink 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Jimmi - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 9:35 am)Robert wrote From an enthusiasts point of view, it's quite disappointing so i'll decide to give it a miss. I was hoping it would be in another location like the coach park with a bus there just so i could have a quick look. I'm sure it will work in a commercial way though. I have no doubts about it.
I think it is rather disappointing that there is no bus there for people to have a look at and just from an enthusiast's point of view either as I have gone to many of Arriva's launches in the last few months and when they did the MAX launch in Darlington I was there for nearly an hour before Titan turned up and in this hour people were wanting to have a good look at the Omnicity so they could have a peak at the bus and how it will improve the service they are allocated to. For Go North East to not send a bus to let everyone (not just us) to have a look is a bit of a disappointment but at the same time I think with the X66 people won't really be that bothered about the buses being new as your only ever on there for 10 minutes and there will be plenty of chances for people to have a look.

I do think though it would have been good if they allowed enthusiasts to come to the photo shoot that they did so we could have had a look and gotten a few photos although I am not sure they would have been totally happy seeing lots of photos on Flickr the same as the publicity photos.

I hope they don't do the same for the Red Kite and Coast and Country brands as I think it will be a shame and will be a lost publicity opportunity too I think.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - citaro5284 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:22 am)Jimmi wrote I hope they don't do the same for the Red Kite and Coast and Country brands as I think it will be a shame and will be a lost publicity opportunity too I think.

I would think they will be different, the Coast and Country and Red Kites are a different product compared to the X66 non stop service.

(18 Apr 2015, 10:30 am)citaro5284 wrote I would think they will be different, the Coast and Country and Red Kites are a different product compared to the X66 non stop service.
I think launches for people to attend would be better for these services would be good for them to have a look as people could see brand new buses in the area they live in and may attract new passengers.

I imagine the reason there wasn't a big X66 launch is down to the nature of the route and also the custom the service carries probably meant it wasn't worth it.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - LeeCalder - 18 Apr 2015

Tbf that was very dissaponting... They aren't really promoting it that well when all it is is a tiny stand

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - G-CPTN - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:22 am)Jimmi wrote I think it is rather disappointing that there is no bus there for people to have a look at 
One way to get to look at the bus would be to use the service.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - omnicity4659 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 10:48 am)leestransportphotos wrote Tbf that was very dissaponting... They aren't really promoting it that well when all it is is a tiny stand

You got my stuff?  Angel

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Michael - 18 Apr 2015

Please don't let be anyone on the forum..... i think they were joking................ -.-

From the GNE FB page -

Where is this I can't see it anywhere
Like · Reply · 38 mins

Also did you say that the metronomes were driving people from metrocentre to Gateshead

(18 Apr 2015, 11:07 am)Michael wrote Please don't let be anyone on the forum..... i think they were joking................ -.-

From the GNE FB page -

Where is this I can't see it anywhere
Like · Reply · 38 mins

Also did you say that the metronomes were driving people from metrocentre to Gateshead

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha LOL!  Big Grin  I'll have a look.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - citaro5284 - 18 Apr 2015

You see....its for the kids, they are loving it...

(18 Apr 2015, 11:16 am)citaro5284 wrote You see....its for the kids, they are loving it...

Are you the one on the bottom right?! 

Big Grin Tongue

(18 Apr 2015, 11:17 am)Tommy_1581 wrote Are you the one on the bottom right?! 

Big Grin Tongue

I dont work weekends.....

(18 Apr 2015, 11:17 am)citaro5284 wrote I dont work weekends.....

I thought you did? 

Job description: NEB - New GNE bus annoying teaser person: All days, full time, lots of pay (£40,000 p/y).???  Big Grin Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - LeeCalder - 18 Apr 2015

I've got some for you Tommy. Nowt special like so don't get your hopes up...

It's not all bad though, I've won a days free travel haha

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - S813 FVK - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 11:30 am)leestransportphotos wrote I've got some for you Tommy. Nowt special like so don't get your hopes up...

It's not all bad though, I've won a days free travel haha

What are the goodies if you dont mind me asking? Anything to get really 'I WANT' about?

(18 Apr 2015, 11:32 am)Robert wrote What are the goodies if you dont mind me asking? Anything to get really 'I WANT' about?

A torch, card bus, timetable was what I got from Arriva's MAX launches, should be similar for GNE.

No....

Crayons, sticker, colouring in sheet and a leaflet

That's it

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Dan - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 11:52 am)leestransportphotos wrote No....

That's it

That would make a little kid's day - as well as the ability to get a photo with the cardboard cutout!

Children are a very good marketing tool. Food packaging is often designed for children as they will persuade their parents to buy it. If the parent says no, the water works start..!

Obviously works a little differently with a marketing event for buses, but the same principal applies.

(18 Apr 2015, 11:52 am)leestransportphotos wrote No....

That's it

Just need GNE-related stuff, that's all lol  Big Grin 

(18 Apr 2015, 11:55 am)Dan wrote That would make a little kid's day - as well as the ability to get a photo with the cardboard cutout!

Children are a very good marketing tool. Food packaging is often designed for children as they will persuade their parents to buy it. If the parent says no, the water works start..!

Obviously works a little differently with a marketing event for buses, but the same principal applies.

So every time a kid goes to intu Metrocentre they demand to go on the X66?  Big Grin

(18 Apr 2015, 12:03 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote So every time a kid goes to intu Metrocentre they demand to go on the X66?  Big Grin
Some kids get excited about going on a bus, especially if it is a double decker - should have heard the noise of a kid when 7461 turned up on the 7 one evening.

(18 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Just need GNE-related stuff, that's all lol  Big Grin 

It's all covered in metro gnomes mate haha

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - S813 FVK - 18 Apr 2015

Courtesy of Marcus: 
3971 appears to have returned to Riverside ahead of the schools going back on Monday. I'd therefore assume that 3969 and 3977 have also returned. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/17188598375/

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - G-CPTN - 18 Apr 2015

I'd like to give a shout for the AD122.

GNE are running it seven days a week now since Easter (last year they didn't start 7 day working until after the Spring Bank Holiday), and passenger numbers are 'light', so if you fancy a trip along the Wall . . .

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/dbimgs/AD122%202015%20Website%20Timetable.pdf

It is a difficult decision to extend a service - unless it is available then nobody can use it, it's a question of getting folk to know that it's running.

I do hope that it thrives.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Dan - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm)G-CPTN wrote I'd like to give a shout for the AD122.

GNE are running it seven days a week now since Easter (last year they didn't start 7 day working until after the Spring Bank Holiday), and passenger numbers are 'light', so if you fancy a trip along the Wall . . .

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/dbimgs/AD122%202015%20Website%20Timetable.pdf

It is a difficult decision to extend a service - unless it is available then nobody can use it, it's a question of getting folk to know that it's running.

I do hope that it thrives.

Forgive me for the shameless plug...

Go North East and the various parties who support the service are offering an extended service this year, following the great success of the service last year. The extended service will be under a trial period, and if passenger numbers on the whole season increase, then it's quite likely that the service will continue to run from Easter again next year.

I recently sampled the AD122 service, and it is an absolutely magnificent route. I decided to have a ride of the 09:10am AD122 out of Hexham a few Saturdays ago. Excluding me (I really can't be counted these days), the service departed Hexham with five passengers, all of whom appeared to be young walkers (and hence fare payers). I had expected that the journey would be somewhat uncomfortable on the country roads as I've never been too keen on MPDs, but I must say I was wrong. I'm glad that the two branded vehicles were given a little interior makeover with the seats being re-upholstered and re-trimmed, as this provided a sufficient amount of comfort at the back row.

Although the vehicles aren't fitted with Next Stop Announcements, the bus driver was very helpful to the passengers on-board by calling out the main stopping points along the route as we approached them. The driver additionally provided some interesting facts along the route which really enticed the passengers on-board, leading to related discussion between the two couples on-board. When the bus approached walkers, the driver slowed down and asked walkers the route they were taking, subsequently offering to take the walkers on part of their route. This worked on a couple of occasions, and many pointed out that they didn't realise the timings would work until the driver advised them otherwise.

There's more than enough time built into the timetable, so the driver can be fairly relaxed and let passengers enjoy the views. If you give the driver the heads up, I'm sure s/he will be happy to let you off at Haltwhistle Station (ie the terminus) for a photograph or two and then let you back on again. Explorer tickets aren't valid on the service so you do need to buy a special ticket for use on the AD122, but I'd suggest it's well worth it. You can have a ride of both vehicles by getting off at Housesteads (iirc) on your return journey back to Hexham and getting on the other bus to Haltwhistle. Part of me wished I did this, but I had other things on my list that day to do.

If it's sunny, give it a go. Even if you're not keen on Darts, you may change your mind by the end of that bus journey. Smile 

6018 on loan to Stanley: https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N07/17188948341/

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - northern156 - 18 Apr 2015

(18 Apr 2015, 5:28 pm)Dan wrote Forgive me for the shameless plug...

Go North East and the various parties who support the service are offering an extended service this year, following the great success of the service last year. The extended service will be under a trial period, and if passenger numbers on the whole season increase, then it's quite likely that the service will continue to run from Easter again next year.

I recently sampled the AD122 service, and it is an absolutely magnificent route. I decided to have a ride of the 09:10am AD122 out of Hexham a few Saturdays ago. Excluding me (I really can't be counted these days), the service departed Hexham with five passengers, all of whom appeared to be young walkers (and hence fare payers). I had expected that the journey would be somewhat uncomfortable on the country roads as I've never been too keen on MPDs, but I must say I was wrong. I'm glad that the two branded vehicles were given a little interior makeover with the seats being re-upholstered and re-trimmed, as this provided a sufficient amount of comfort at the back row.

Although the vehicles aren't fitted with Next Stop Announcements, the bus driver was very helpful to the passengers on-board by calling out the main stopping points along the route as we approached them. The driver additionally provided some interesting facts along the route which really enticed the passengers on-board, leading to related discussion between the two couples on-board. When the bus approached walkers, the driver slowed down and asked walkers the route they were taking, subsequently offering to take the walkers on part of their route. This worked on a couple of occasions, and many pointed out that they didn't realise the timings would work until the driver advised them otherwise.

There's more than enough time built into the timetable, so the driver can be fairly relaxed and let passengers enjoy the views. If you give the driver the heads up, I'm sure s/he will be happy to let you off at Haltwhistle Station (ie the terminus) for a photograph or two and then let you back on again. Explorer tickets aren't valid on the service so you do need to buy a special ticket for use on the AD122, but I'd suggest it's well worth it. You can have a ride of both vehicles by getting off at Housesteads (iirc) on your return journey back to Hexham and getting on the other bus to Haltwhistle. Part of me wished I did this, but I had other things on my list that day to do.

If it's sunny, give it a go. Even if you're not keen on Darts, you may change your mind by the end of that bus journey. Smile 

Plus there may be scruffy-looking people en-route taking photos of the MPDs Wink
I'm wanting to get a few pics tomorrow hopefully, see if I can get one of the 2-hourly 685s in also.

I am lead to believe that two of GNE's new Volvo B9's have arrived in the UK and are currently undergoing a PDI at Volvo.

(18 Apr 2015, 6:34 pm)citaro5284 wrote I am lead to believe that two of GNE's new Volvo B9's have arrived in the UK and are currently undergoing a PDI at Volvo.

No. YOU KNOW. Tongue

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015 - Greg in Weardale - 18 Apr 2015

To clarify if it wasn't clear enough - by cancelling the X3 GNE lost my fare to the Metro, ie the train, not the MetroCentre, ie the shopping centre. I will still use the X66 when travelling between Gateshead and the MetroCentre. Yes Stagecoach's branding and slogans covering windows is also annoying and unnecessary - and that across front windows of Enviro 400's is the most unacceptable of all. At least Drifter 60 brought some sanity back to the replies to my comments that covering windows with anything is unnecessary, annoying and the result of ill-conceived design. Contravision does NOT give a clear or acceptable view and the majority of passengers, who are not obsessed by their electronic devices, want to look out of the windows. And my original complaint re the X66 was that the rearmost, (too) small window of the Streetlites has been obscured by the "X66" when there a is a large area below the window where it could have gone.