North East Buses
Destination Display - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Destination Display (/showthread.php?tid=4105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Destination Display - deanmachine - 05 Jan 2023

(04 Jan 2023, 11:05 pm)logidoodah wrote It literally has 2 different destinations! For one bus!

Marsden Bay is in South Shields? Don't see how that's confusing?

RE: Destination Display - ne14ne1 - 05 Jan 2023

(05 Jan 2023, 1:01 am)deanmachine wrote Marsden Bay is in South Shields? Don't see how that's confusing?

So why isn’t it ‘South Shields Marsden Bay, via…  ‘ then?

Looked a bit confusing to me tbh.

RE: Destination Display - Adrian - 05 Jan 2023

(04 Jan 2023, 11:05 pm)logidoodah wrote It literally has 2 different destinations! For one bus!

Three, if you count the one plastered all over it in vinyls! 

(05 Jan 2023, 1:01 am)deanmachine wrote Marsden Bay is in South Shields? Don't see how that's confusing?

It works on the assumption that everyone has local knowledge, and even at that, Marsden Bay is some distance away from Shields town centre.

RE: Destination Display - logidoodah - 05 Jan 2023

(05 Jan 2023, 9:24 am)Adrian wrote Three, if you count the one plastered all over it in vinyls! 

It works on the assumption that everyone has local knowledge, and even at that, Marsden Bay is some distance away from Shields town centre.

Totally agree with everything above!

RE: Destination Display - streetdeckfan - 05 Jan 2023

Seriously though, which is the actual destination. Does it go to 'South Shields' first then Marsden Bay, or is Marsden Bay another 'via' point?

RE: Destination Display - logidoodah - 05 Jan 2023

(05 Jan 2023, 3:20 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Seriously though, which is the actual destination. Does it go to 'South Shields' first then Marsden Bay, or is Marsden Bay another 'via' point?

I haven't been on it to Marsden Bay but according to the app (and other buses with the regulary destination) it goes to South Shields interchange then follows the coast to Marsden Bay.

RE: Destination Display - Retro Nero - 05 Jan 2023

Marsden Bay is the stop before the Marsden Grotto pub/hotel , which used to be the terminus for the old open top summer service from South Shields Market to Marsden Grotto which was operated with South Shields PTE 1218 ( now preserved in Queens silver Jubilee livery).
The actual terminus is still there at the entrance to the Grotto car park so I don't know why the 50 doesn't terminate there

RE: Destination Display - Retro Nero - 11 Jan 2023

Service 20 from Langley Park are still only showing Sunderland via the Raintons & Houghton ,no mention of Durham or Arnison Center.But journey's towards Langley Park show Langley Park via Houghton, & The Raintons, Durham & Arnison Center .

RE: Destination Display - Retro Nero - 07 Feb 2023

Service numbers are being put back on nearside of destination (kerb side) from today

RE: Destination Display - Rob44 - 07 Feb 2023

saw a bus yesterday or day befoe. Knew it was going to chester le treet but had no number. assume it was a 28 28a or 29

RE: Destination Display - Unber43 - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 2:07 pm)Retro Nero wrote Service numbers are being put back on nearside of destination (kerb side) from today
I thought I noticed something different.

Wonder what made them change it back. I didn't like when the numbers were on the left side at first, but then I got used to it.

RE: Destination Display - omnicity4659 - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 3:41 pm)Unber43 wrote I thought I noticed something different.

Wonder what made them change it back. I didn't like when the numbers were on the left side at first, but then I got used to it.

The fact that it looked silly and causes issues at bus stops.

RE: Destination Display - Jimmi - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 3:41 pm)Unber43 wrote I thought I noticed something different.

It was a daft idea, especially when you had displays with a colour block on the right hand side forcing them to put the numbers on that side on those buses but then having them on the left on other fleet members, although often the number was still displayed on the left with the colour block display.

RE: Destination Display - streetdeckfan - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 4:31 pm)omnicity4659 wrote The fact that it looked silly and causes issues at bus stops.

Good to see the un-stenninging of GNE continuing!

Hopefully if finances get sorted out we can go back to having a bit more fun with the designs rather than the bland copy and paste designs. 

I still haven't got over the fact they got rid of the games on the tables!

Ironically, I saw someone on Twitter not long back giving MG credit for the games on the tables, he's the one that got rid of them!

RE: Destination Display - ne14ne1 - 07 Feb 2023

Glad to see the numbers returning to right hand side!
Looks much better and matches in with other operator’s.

RE: Destination Display - F114TML - 07 Feb 2023

I saw a 61A tonight and it looks like they've got shot of the superscript letters, too.

RE: Destination Display - Adrian - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 2:07 pm)Retro Nero wrote Service numbers are being put back on nearside of destination (kerb side) from today
Common sense prevails!

Whilst I appreciate that operators aren't required to adopt this part of PSVAR, as it is best practice only, there's never been anyone willing to offer a good enough explanation from deviating from it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Destination Display - Storx - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 6:26 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Good to see the un-stenninging of GNE continuing!

Hopefully if finances get sorted out we can go back to having a bit more fun with the designs rather than the bland copy and paste designs. 

I still haven't got over the fact they got rid of the games on the tables!

Ironically, I saw someone on Twitter not long back giving MG credit for the games on the tables, he's the one that got rid of them!

You mean make a livery then not tell the painters how to do said livery so there's 20 different variations of the same thing like Arriva MAX which is a design done by him I believe.

Creativity isn't exactly something which I'd say about the new MD's work, even Manchester is pretty uniform. 

Ps. Forgot his name and cba to hunt it down.

(07 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm)F114TML wrote I saw a 61A tonight and it looks like they've got shot of the superscript letters, too.
Tbf I kinda liked them

But I noticed they only did it for XA services, such as 10B/39B had large Bs

(07 Feb 2023, 8:19 pm)Adrian wrote Common sense prevails!

Whilst I appreciate that operators aren't required to adopt this part of PSVAR, as it is best practice only, there's never been anyone willing to offer a good enough explanation from deviating from it.

I think it was because people might not be able to see it on the door side for some reason

RE: Destination Display - F114TML - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 8:28 pm)Storx wrote You mean make a livery then not tell the painters how to do said livery so there's 20 different variations of the same thing like Arriva MAX which is a design done by him I believe.

Creativity isn't exactly something which I'd say about the new MD's work, even Manchester is pretty uniform. 

Ps. Forgot his name and cba to hunt it down.
Nigel Featham or Feetham or however it's spelt.

Tbh it's a similar issue at Stagecoach, loads of buses where the swirls on the back aren't aligned between panels. No doubt in part due to them being hand painted rather than sprayed and stickers like GNE.

RE: Destination Display - Retro Nero - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm)F114TML wrote I saw a 61A tonight and it looks like they've got shot of the superscript letters, too.
Yes , all the letters are going large

RE: Destination Display - ne14ne1 - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 9:15 pm)Retro Nero wrote Yes , all the letters are going large

So it would appear the new leadership are interested in the detail then. Let’s hope they turn their attention to NSAs next.

RE: Destination Display - Blockybus - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 9:30 pm)ne14ne1 wrote So it would appear the new leadership are interested in the detail then. Let’s hope they turn their attention to NSAs next.
Its on the list  Big Grin

Destination Display - Dan - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 9:30 pm)ne14ne1 wrote So it would appear the new leadership are interested in the detail then. Let’s hope they turn their attention to NSAs next.

That, or there have been changes in the commercial team to enable resource to be allocated to such matters… Haven’t there been a few jobs advertised recently?

Clearly the previous MD had a preference on how these things should be done, and now that MD has moved on, things are reverting back to how they used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Destination Display - Andreos1 - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 8:19 pm)Adrian wrote Common sense prevails!

Totally agree, but I'd not have it on the list of basics that they need to get right at this stage. 

Pretty sure there's more pressing priorities to look at and fix, than swapping the numbers back.

(07 Feb 2023, 9:47 pm)Andreos1 wrote Totally agree, but I'd not have it on the list of basics that they need to get right at this stage. 

Pretty sure there's more pressing priorities to look at and fix, than swapping the numbers back.

Would you expect a bus driver to repair an engine on a bus? Or is that the job of an engineer?

Clearly I’m being facetious, but it really depends what you think the more ‘pressing priorities’ are, and whether the person responsible for making the changes to destination displays is trained on how to do those things instead and/or if it is even relevant to their role.

RE: Destination Display - Andreos1 - 07 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 9:57 pm)Dan wrote Would you expect a bus driver to repair an engine on a bus? Or is that the job of an engineer?

Clearly I’m being facetious, but it really depends what you think the more ‘pressing priorities’ are, and whether the person responsible for making the changes to destination displays is trained on how to do those things instead and/or if it is even relevant to their role.

Well I'd certainly not create tasks to justify jobs. Particularly when the person responsible presumably has transferable skills and knowledge that could be utilised elsewhere within the business.
Maybe even utilised temporarily in a role which has a direct impact on passengers and in an area that has been known to be poor - such as Customer Services.

After all, it's about getting the basics right. Isn't it?

(07 Feb 2023, 10:39 pm)Andreos1 wrote Well I'd certainly not create tasks to justify jobs. Particularly when the person responsible presumably has transferable skills and knowledge that could be utilised elsewhere within the business.
Maybe even utilised temporarily in a role which has a direct impact on passengers and in an area that has been known to be poor - such as Customer Services.

After all, it's about getting the basics right. Isn't it?

I wonder if the role of the Customer Services team will change in the recently reported restructure where 100 jobs were allegedly at risk?

There appears to have been a lot of jobs advertised recently in operations and commercial, largely replicating the structure of Arriva’s bus companies. Isn’t the current MD ex-Arriva?

(07 Feb 2023, 10:53 pm)Dan wrote I wonder if the role of the Customer Services team will change in the recently reported restructure where 100 jobs were allegedly at risk?

There appears to have been a lot of jobs advertised recently in operations and commercial, largely replicating the structure of Arriva’s bus companies. Isn’t the current MD ex-Arriva?

Arriva customer service is atrocious you just get a Control C, Control P message to fill out a stupid form

However I do think GNE need to do better customer service, it should be open 6:30-8:30 M-F. While I doubt that will happen, I wonder if the control team would ever step upto that role, when CS is closed

RE: Destination Display - ne14ne1 - 08 Feb 2023

Could the person correcting the numbers to the right side also switch out the bold compacted font for that used by Stagecoach NE & Arriva NE while they’re on?
Would be nice if GNE’s destination font was as clear as theirs.