North East Buses
Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Stagecoach North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike (/showthread.php?tid=4123)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Unber43 - 03 Oct 2022

If SC don't do anything after this strike I wonder if there will be a mass exit of SC Sunderland to join Deptford GNE. 

Also I think its quite strange that its only Sunderland striking and not atleast South Sheilds & Hartlepool aswell.

Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - cbma06 - 03 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)Unber43 wrote If SC don't do anything after this strike I wonder if there will be a mass exit of SC Sunderland to join Deptford GNE. 

Also I think its quite strange that its only Sunderland striking and not atleast South Sheilds & Hartlepool aswell.

Are South Shields and Hartlepool depots comes down to being low cost units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - BusLoverMum - 03 Oct 2022

It's very individualised between depots, same as for arriva. Hull is striking, for example.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - WHEATSHEAF1 - 03 Oct 2022

(03 Oct 2022, 6:18 pm)MUnber43 wrote If SC don't do anything after this strike I wonder if there will be a mass exit of SC Sunderland to join Deptford GNE. 

Also I think it’s quite strange that its only Sunderland striking and not atleast South Sheilds & Hartlepool aswell.
The other depots are represented by a different union (UNITE) and Sunderland are represented by GMB

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - F114TML - 04 Oct 2022

Sunderland is the only Busways depot to reject the offer. Newcastle accepted before us, ergo before the price of everything really took off. Idk why shields accepted it though given it was after we rejected it.

I highly doubt there'll be a mass exodus to GNE particularly given a fair few people are ex-GNE.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - nova347 - 04 Oct 2022

(04 Oct 2022, 3:33 pm)F114TML wrote Sunderland is the only Busways depot to reject the offer. Newcastle accepted before us, ergo before the price of everything really took off. Idk why shields accepted it though given it was after we rejected it.

I highly doubt there'll be a mass exodus to GNE particularly given a fair few people are ex-GNE.
I know one driver who left GNE for Stagecoach Sunderland.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - F114TML - 04 Oct 2022

Also, by "can't do anything" I mean I don't think they can do things like major cuts or magerial/structural changes within the company.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Storx - 04 Oct 2022

(04 Oct 2022, 5:57 pm)F114TML wrote Also, by "can't do anything" I mean I don't think they can do things like major cuts or magerial/structural changes within the company.

They've already done major cuts down in Stagecoach East, some of them are quite brutal aswell.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Acky81 - 06 Oct 2022

Still nothing on Stagecoach site regarding strike action

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Michael - 07 Oct 2022

(06 Oct 2022, 10:44 pm)Acky81 wrote Still nothing on Stagecoach site regarding strike action

No doubt info will appear on Monday at around 5pm........

I emailed them and they said they had no info about it, as of yet, bit of a joke really, they should at least give some info out or a warning of what sort of service they may end up providing, I mean how many people rely on buses for education and work.

Its going to a be nightmare next week trying to get to work for 7am.......

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Madmackem22 - 07 Oct 2022

They are going to be running an extremely limited service between 7am-7pm, so unfortunately if you need anything outside of these times on the estates you're going to be knackered

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - beefcake - 07 Oct 2022

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-06/10/2022-16:54:48:691

They've put a link on the website with the timetables and frequencies. Also mentioned that any prepaid customer tickets will be valid on the metro in the affected area

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - idiot - 07 Oct 2022

Jesus that will cause so much disruption. I just hope that customers don't go elsewhere long term causing job losses.

Said the same about Royal Mail.

Now when can I have a pay rise?

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Michael - 07 Oct 2022

(07 Oct 2022, 2:07 pm)Madmackem22 wrote They are going to be running an extremely limited service between 7am-7pm, so unfortunately if you need anything outside of these times on the estates you're going to be knackered

Tell me about it!

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - stagecoachbusdepot - 07 Oct 2022

Surprised they have managed to source enough managers and volunteer drivers to operate that PVR, though I guess the absence of earlies and lates will help with that. Frequencies on the City core routes are higher than I'd expected, especially the 20 but also the others running 3 times an hour...the E's on the other hand have taken a bit of a hit, hourly only on the unique segments. Looks like the 12 and the expresses are the only routes not to be running...you'd have thought they'd flag that the X34 in particular won't be operating as many passengers may well not realise that is even operated by Sunderland.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - F114TML - 07 Oct 2022

Oh so they have finally acknowledged it's actually happening.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Unber43 - 07 Oct 2022

(07 Oct 2022, 7:03 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Surprised they have managed to source enough managers and volunteer drivers to operate that PVR, though I guess the absence of earlies and lates will help with that.  Frequencies on the City core routes are higher than I'd expected, especially the 20 but also the others running 3 times an hour...the E's on the other hand have taken a bit of a hit, hourly only on the unique segments.  Looks like the 12 and the expresses are the only routes not to be running...you'd have thought they'd flag that the X34 in particular won't be operating as many passengers may well not realise that is even operated by Sunderland.
Never cross a picket line.

Also they are running at every 20 mins, thats just reduced. I thought it was going to be hourly to two hourly services.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - F114TML - 07 Oct 2022

I find it pretty funny the 3 has much more standing time than normal on the strike days - normally you get about 2 mins at either end so it's near impossible to get your time back. I am surprised they're stating such high frequencies - will see how well they can actually do it.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - nova347 - 07 Oct 2022

I will say the strike timetable is really not as bad as I thought it would be. Every 20 mins for most services. I expected them to be every hour to every 2 hours.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Madmackem22 - 07 Oct 2022

They need 66 drivers to cover those services and are still currently 20ish short and at least 2 have been sent down to Hull to cover that strike

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - DeltaMan - 08 Oct 2022

I wonder what percentage of the driving staff are actually in the union.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - F114TML - 08 Oct 2022

(07 Oct 2022, 11:18 pm)Madmackem22 wrote They need 66 drivers to cover those services and are still currently 20ish short and at least 2 have been sent down to Hull to cover that strike
Ok so I've heard they only have 30 - maybe that just means they have 30 coming down in addition to the non-unionised drivers (or drivers in another union who aren't on strike). Better hope no one goes on the sick!

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Madmackem22 - 08 Oct 2022

Appropriately 97% are now in the union

(08 Oct 2022, 8:09 am)F114TML wrote Ok so I've heard they only have 30 - maybe that just means they have 30 coming down in addition to the non-unionised drivers (or drivers in another union who aren't on strike). Better hope no one goes on the sick!

No drivers that are in another union will be arriving from different depots

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Starscream - 08 Oct 2022

Is it still legal for an operator to run unregistered services as long as they're free?

Maybe GNE could extract some good publicity and even some onward paying custom by quickly training up a few new drivers and sticking them on low paid temporary contracts driving whatever is lying spare around the group to provide "necessary essential services" to the students/elderly/sick/poor that have been left "stranded" by the striking Stagecoach drivers.

It wouldn't even be too hard to argue to coroporate, if you factored in things like asset usage, training and marketing value, the exercise wouldn't even cost that much, even if it went on for months. Mere pennies on the bottom line of a large group like GNE.

In the old days the might have simply led to an act of solidarity from GNE staff making it unworkable at best, a PR disaster at worst, but these days, when by now I think surely everyone has realised that a newly created Sunderland Municipal Transport is at least five if not ten years away, I'm not so sure it's not at least an even money bet that GNE staff would see this as a sensible act of competition, taking advantage of a temporary weakness in their neighbour's position, that could lead to temporary or even permanent benefits to their own situation.

It would surely be the height of irony if a Stagecoach operation ended up falling victim to the free bus loophole.

Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - cbma06 - 08 Oct 2022

Has there been an agreement been reached for the buses at Wheatsheaf depot to be used on strike days, usually the old days there couldn’t use the buses going over the so called picket line, if the depot buses are being used and drivers/management from other areas to be used then the strike is a bit pointless really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Storx - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 9:27 am)Starscream wrote Is it still legal for an operator to run unregistered services as long as they're free?

Maybe GNE could extract some good publicity and even some onward paying custom by quickly training up a few new drivers and sticking them on low paid temporary contracts driving whatever is lying spare around the group to provide "necessary essential services" to the students/elderly/sick/poor that have been left "stranded" by the striking Stagecoach drivers.

It wouldn't even be too hard to argue to coroporate, if you factored in things like asset usage, training and marketing value, the exercise wouldn't even cost that much, even if it went on for months. Mere pennies on the bottom line of a large group like GNE.

In the old days the might have simply led to an act of solidarity from GNE staff making it unworkable at best, a PR disaster at worst, but these days, when by now I think surely everyone has realised that a newly created Sunderland Municipal Transport is at least five if not ten years away, I'm not so sure it's not at least an even money bet that GNE staff would see this as a sensible act of competition, taking advantage of a temporary weakness in their neighbour's position, that could lead to temporary or even permanent benefits to their own situation.

It would surely be the height of irony if a Stagecoach operation ended up falling victim to the free bus loophole.

Disagree with this strongly, it's a total arse hole move and I wouldn't expect any driver at Deptford to be open to do it especially considering what they've just been through.

Bus drivers should be in unison over wages not bailing each others bosses out. I'm sure Stagecoach drivers would be very happy to help GNE out if the foot turned the opposite way so what's the point in ever striking as it goes nowhere. Bus drivers don't pledge an alliance to GoAhead so whether they make a loss or a £100m profit is irrelevant all they care about is the wage they pick up at the end of the day.

Never cross a picket line and that includes other companies aswell.

Not to mention Deptford don't have enough drivers to run their normal service nevermind other services.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - omnicity4659 - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 10:52 am)Storx wrote Disagree with this strongly, it's a total arse hole move and I wouldn't expect any driver at Deptford to be open to do it especially considering what they've just been through.

Bus drivers should be in unison over wages not bailing each others bosses out. I'm sure Stagecoach drivers would be very happy to help GNE out if the foot turned the opposite way so what's the point in ever striking as it goes nowhere. Bus drivers don't pledge an alliance to GoAhead so whether they make a loss or a £100m profit is irrelevant all they care about is the wage they pick up at the end of the day.

Not to mention Deptford don't have enough drivers to run their normal service nevermind other services.

Couldn't agree more with you on this.

If people want to drive Stagecoach services during a strike, then they're more than welcome to go and apply to work for them. I'm sure that the bosses would appreciate the shinier boots.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Unber43 - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 10:52 am)Storx wrote Not to mention Deptford don't have enough drivers to run their normal service nevermind other services.
They have recently.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Jimmi - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 10:52 am)Storx wrote Disagree with this strongly, it's a total arse hole move and I wouldn't expect any driver at Deptford to be open to do it especially considering what they've just been through.

Think I remember hearing a number of issues occurring when Go North West hired in a load of other operators to cover work when their drivers were striking last year, most likely only made any tensions between the drivers & company worse.

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike - Storx - 08 Oct 2022

(08 Oct 2022, 5:53 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Couldn't agree more with you on this.

If people want to drive Stagecoach services during a strike, then they're more than welcome to go and apply to work for them. I'm sure that the bosses would appreciate the shinier boots.

Totally agreed, it's the same reason that no worker from the other depots in the unions should be over, mind I'd question those not in one doing it either, coward move imo.

(08 Oct 2022, 9:11 pm)Jimmi wrote Think I remember hearing a number of issues occurring when Go North West hired in a load of other operators to cover work when their drivers were striking last year, most likely only made any tensions between the drivers & company worse.

Remember that actually, it was them I believe as I can remember the union turning it into a debate about how management were spending more time and spending more money on hiring the agency staff in that just sorting the strike out. Bizarre move in hindsight unless you wanted to stake a war with your workers.

Believe one of the train companies did similar and grabbed every train manager and anyone who could drive a train from all the other operating areas they had which went down like a lead balloon. Arriva and Cross Country ringing a bell.