North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - tyresmoke - 17 Aug 2013

Another odd working today was Orbit Versa 8335 appearing on the 353 as a changeover for a Solo. Was being put on at half 12 at Kingston Park.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 17 Aug 2013

You can see why some bus users get a bit peeved when they pay the same as folk on more 'popular' (or I guess in business terms 'profitable' routes) and get very poor stock and get this perception that some routes get upgraded a lot more whilst they get stuck with rubbish.

Of course some routes simply won't make as much money for GNE as others but conversely a way to attract more passengers is to have better vehicles? I'm not suggesting once hourly buses get brand new Geminis or Citaros of course.

RE: Go North East - Adrian - 17 Aug 2013

(17 Aug 2013, 7:16 pm)gtomlinson wrote You can see why some bus users get a bit peeved when they pay the same as folk on more 'popular' (or I guess in business terms 'profitable' routes) and get very poor stock and get this perception that some routes get upgraded a lot more whilst they get stuck with rubbish.

Of course some routes simply won't make as much money for GNE as others but conversely a way to attract more passengers is to have better vehicles? I'm not suggesting once hourly buses get brand new Geminis or Citaros of course.

It comes across as being very random to me. With exception of the X1/TEN that is. Despite it's popularity and high use, the high frequency Angel services were downgraded several times for example, before the Hybrids were bought in. The Prince Bishops, MetroLINK and Fab Fifty Six are both high frequency services, yet are still running round on 9+ year old vehicles.

RE: Go North East - Malarkey - 17 Aug 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/collections/72157634349108380/

My Go North East Collection on Flickr, with a range of different areas from Buses By Brand to Brands By Depot, Former Brand and Demonstrators and more.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 18 Aug 2013

http://www.simplygo.com/news/bus-bargains-in-the-wear-valley

Has their being anymore repaints lately?

RE: Go North East - Adrian - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 9:29 am)Michael wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/bus-bargains-in-the-wear-valley

£12.50 isn't a bad price. Arriva's Bishop ticket is £16.00. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that you're pretty restricted buying a weekly ticket in that area with GNE. If you're not on the 18's route - you're going to have to fork out for Arriva in addition or potentially walk some distance.

RE: Go North East - CatsFast101 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 9:53 am)aureolin wrote £12.50 isn't a bad price. Arriva's Bishop ticket is £16.00. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that you're pretty restricted buying a weekly ticket in that area with GNE. If you're not on the 18's route - you're going to have to fork out for Arriva in addition or potentially walk some distance.

It's obviously restricted on the around of potential customers but if you are on the 18 route and travel to Durham etc. regularly then it's excellent value. If GNE launched a few more routes then potential buyer would increase but would these costs cover the cost of the service?

RE: Go North East - Adam - 18 Aug 2013

Crusader 5313 is on The Orbit services today. It was working the 11:12 departure from Wrekenton on the 51.

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 10:27 am)CatsFast101 wrote It's obviously restricted on the around of potential customers but if you are on the 18 route and travel to Durham etc. regularly then it's excellent value. If GNE launched a few more routes then potential buyer would increase but would these costs cover the cost of the service?

They should have launched more services at the time.
The OK1 and 18, coupled with an X21 was never going to generate enough interest nor cover a big enough passenger area to make it an attractive option.

Thanks for update Rob, i agree the only reason GNE is getting better buses for the 309/310 because Arriva's 306 for Deckers..

What buses are they getting?

Rob any news on when the first set of streetlites will be arriving?

Thank's Rob =)

but u should just tell us to end all this speculation haha *jokes*

Can't for the streetlites to arrive, which depot is getting them first?

Quick question: Before the 2A/2C started interworking with the 61, how did in run on Sundays? What was its PVR? As the timings don't seem to fit. Thanks

The 61 was every 20 mins i think but was dropped to 30 mins once the changes happened, the 2A/2C stopped as they are now (Hourly each), as for the current PVR i have no idea.

I'm really surprised that the 2A/2C frequency hasn't changed on a Sunday, i don't really know what the numbers are like.

RE: Go North East - Malarkey - 18 Aug 2013

(17 Aug 2013, 6:09 pm)aureolin wrote I can't find the post, but did someone confirm that GNE were looking at Geminis for the 56?

Just mere speculation/thinking out loud, but there's going to be about 25/26 displaced Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Geminis (02 to 04 plates iirc) from Go Ahead London when the NB4Ls are delivered for route 11. Maybe worth a look for a short term replacement? The dual door operation may help with the loadings between Newcastle and Wrekenton on the 56 too.

Alternatively it may be worth them waiting for route 12 to get NBFLs. It's currently operated using a mix of Volvo B9TL and B5L Hybrid/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2s - all of which are 61 plates. The current PVR is 41.

That's not a bad thought that, but I doubt GNE would get the 61 plates as they'd most likely be moved onto another service within the Go-Ahead London Fleet which would displace more B7TL's from another route, Unless the route was to operates using something else.

Wasn't there something mentioned about 11 Scania Omnideckers last week or week before coming up from London.

RE: Go North East - Dan - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Quick question: Before the 2A/2C started interworking with the 61, how did in run on Sundays? What was its PVR? As the timings don't seem to fit. Thanks

They departed Sunderland xx25/xx55, and arrived Washington xx56/xx25. The 2C would then swap to a 2A, and vice versa, departing at xx21/xx50, and finally arriving back at Sunderland for xx51/xx21. A staggering 25 minute layover at Washington led to a very reliable service, but a higher PVR than should have been required (3).
As it stands, the services have a lot less layover time and interwork with the 61 - allowing both services to drop one vehicle each if I am correct?

(18 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm)Michael wrote The 61 was every 20 mins i think but was dropped to 30 mins once the changes happened, the 2A/2C stopped as they are now (Hourly each), as for the current PVR i have no idea.

I'm really surprised that the 2A/2C frequency hasn't changed on a Sunday, i don't really know what the numbers are like.

Spookily enough, I passed one at Mount Pleasant 10mins ago.
It didn't seem that busy.

If loadings were high, I imagine it would have been worked by a bigger vehicle. The Versa probably does it justice.

On a seperate note, can anyone confirm what those Simplicity Versas are sounding/running like these days?
Since purchase, they turn up on anything and everything, all day, every day and seem to barely have any time off the road.

Whereas, say the Citaros, the Scanias, Cadets etc worked from Deptford, all have down time - these Versas don't.

(18 Aug 2013, 1:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote On a seperate note, can anyone confirm what those Simplicity Versas are sounding/running like these days?
Since purchase, they turn up on anything and everything, all day, every day and seem to barely have any time off the road.

Whereas, say the Citaros, the Scanias, Cadets etc worked from Deptford, all have down time - these Versas don't.

The "SimpliCity" batch is really worked hard, being on the 42/61 all day and then moving off onto the 26A on evenings/Sundays... Also covering for any Euro 5 contracted services when their allocated vehicle is off-road. I believe they're all out on Sundays, which is unreal.

In my opinion, the "Drifter" batch (with all of its squeaks and other problems) is a lot worse than the "SimpliCity" batch, but the '09 Versas have had two further years on the '11 ones... I've had no real problems with the "SimpliCity" batch when I've used them (not so often in the school holidays because the 42/60/61 are my school services).

(18 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm)Daniel wrote The "SimpliCity" batch is really worked hard, being on the 42/61 all day and then moving off onto the 26A on evenings/Sundays... Also covering for any Euro 5 contracted services when their allocated vehicle is off-road. I believe they're all out on Sundays, which is unreal.

In my opinion, the "Drifter" batch (with all of its squeaks and other problems) is a lot worse than the "SimpliCity" batch, but the '09 Versas have had two further years on the '11 ones... I've had no real problems with the "SimpliCity" batch when I've used them (not so often in the school holidays because the 42/60/61 are my school services).

Don't forget the N56 too!

The mileage they must have accumulated over the last couple of years, has got to be pushing them close to the Drifter Versa's.

They really are being worked hard, which would lead to assumption the mpg is decent and the reliability issues have been ironed out, compared to previous batches.

The only question I would have though, is how long can they continue, being worked into the ground like they are currently.

(18 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 wrote Don't forget the N56 too!

The mileage they must have accumulated over the last couple of years, has got to be pushing them close to the Drifter Versa's.

They really are being worked hard, which would lead to assumumption the mpg is decent and the reliability issues have been ironed out, compared to previous batches.

The only question I would have though, is how long can they continue, being worked into the ground like they are currently.

Of course, of course.
Depending on how much revenue the N56 makes (I've only seen it on one occasion - the final day of the N58), could its rumoured vehicle upgrade next year relieve the "SimpliCity" Versas from their duties on the N56?

This will all change with the arrival of further vehicles to the fleet though, we can assume.

(18 Aug 2013, 1:40 pm)Daniel wrote Of course, of course.
Depending on how much revenue the N56 makes (I've only seen it on one occasion - the final day of the N58), could its rumoured vehicle upgrade next year relieve the "SimpliCity" Versas from their duties on the N56?

This will all change with the arrival of further vehicles to the fleet though, we can assume.

To be honest, I have always wondered why the Night service routes are operated by the different depots.
Surely it would make more economic sense (as well as solving manning issues) if one depot, probably Gateshead - operated the routes.

RE: Go North East - citaro5284 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 wrote They really are being worked hard, which would lead to assumption the mpg is decent

The Simplicity Versa's roughly get 8 mpg

(18 Aug 2013, 2:17 pm)citaro5284 wrote The Simplicity Versa's roughly get 8 mpg

And how does that compare to some other members in the fleet?

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm)Daniel wrote And how does that compare to some other members in the fleet?

A Citaro bendy is about 4 mpg average. - although I doubt they'll get that the 58 Tongue

(18 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm)Daniel wrote And how does that compare to some other members in the fleet?

All Versa's are roughly the same up to around 9 in some cases. Larger single deckers and double deckers vary between 6 and 8 depending on route.

(18 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm)BJ10VUS wrote A Citaro bendy is about 4 mpg average. - although I doubt they'll get that the 58 Tongue

They are getting around 4.5 to 5 on the 58.

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm)citaro5284 wrote They are getting around 4.5 to 5 on the 58.

Seriously!? Although, I suppose it makes sense, as all the power used going up hill in Gateshead and Felling won't have to be used coming back towards Newcastle.

Completely echo what Andreos1 has said. All of the Versa's across the fleet, are worked hard, in particular the Deptford ones. The simplicity Versa's are worked all day every day as said the 61, 42, 26A, 2A/2C, N56. Even the drifter Versa's don't get a lot of rest working both the 60 and 42 on all day 7 days a week, not sure what the PVR is for the 42/60 workings but it'll be a few.

And also agree why don't Gateshead just work all the NightBus Services? The N56, N21 and N20 PVR is 4 by my workings I think?, it seems silly Chester and Deptford both having 2 buses on the road.

RE: Go North East - Adrian - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 12:54 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote That's not a bad thought that, but I doubt GNE would get the 61 plates as they'd most likely be moved onto another service within the Go-Ahead London Fleet which would displace more B7TL's from another route, Unless the route was to operates using something else.

Wasn't there something mentioned about 11 Scania Omnideckers last week or week before coming up from London.

Maybe, but baring in mind there's 600 on order between now and 2016. I think they'll keep the Hybrids, as my understanding is they want London buses 100% Hybrid. Still plenty of B7TL Gemini 2s to be displaced though.

I haven't heard anything about Omnidekkas, but I'd take them. One of my favorite down there. Brighton and Hove also have a good few of them.

RE: Go North East - big mac - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 3:05 pm)CatsFast101 wrote And also agree why don't Gateshead just work all the NightBus Services? The N56, N21 and N20 PVR is 4 by my workings I think?, it seems silly Chester and Deptford both having 2 buses on the road.

Does the N20 actually get used, or does it just continue to run because the timings are convenient in that it can tie in with the N21?

I just ask because of the reduction in the amount of Night services since they were first introduced. The N58 and N97 no longer operate, the N56 now only operates on early Sunday mornings, yet the N20 remains in operation on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

(18 Aug 2013, 5:18 pm)big mac wrote Does the N20 actually get used, or does it just continue to run because the timings are convenient in that it can tie in with the N21?

I just ask because of the reduction in the amount of Night services since they were first introduced. The N58 and N97 no longer operate, the N56 now only operates on early Sunday mornings, yet the N20 remains in operation on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I don't know I've never been on a NightBus service before, I never really needed them as by the time you pay the cash only fare and then get a taxi to my house its easier and probably cost effective to just taxi from A to B.

But I imagine if it wasn't cost effective they rearrange the timings and just have a longer layover at Durham or Newcastle and or interwork with the N56. But I don't know either way. How many people from can there be from Carville, Belmont and Gilesgate to use the service? I don't know. Although a higher PVR (2 for the N56 I believe) will I thought contribute to how cost effective the service gets and with the N20 slotting in nicely with the N21 will I suppose make it more justifiable.