North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - gtom - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 3:05 pm)CatsFast101 wrote And also agree why don't Gateshead just work all the NightBus Services? The N56, N21 and N20 PVR is 4 by my workings I think?, it seems silly Chester and Deptford both having 2 buses on the road.

The N21 interworks with the 21 so it makes sense for Chester to operate it imo. The last Northbound 21 terminates at Pilgrim St to become the N21 and the last N21 becomes the 21 so it makes perfect sense for Chester to operate it as opposed to Gateshead at least imo

Re- the N20, the loadings have always been excellent when I lived in Durham. Often more waiting on the N20 than the N21. I always struggle for a cheap private cab in Durham as opposed to expensive hackney taxis so that may affect it.

RE: Go North East - Latest - big mac - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:06 pm)gtomlinson wrote The N21 interworks with the 21 so it makes sense for Chester to operate it imo. The last Northbound 21 terminates at Pilgrim St to become the N21 and the last N21 becomes the 21 so it makes perfect sense for Chester to operate it as opposed to Gateshead at least imo

The last N21's arrive at Chester-le-Street at 4.45am from each direction (Durham and Newcastle), but the first 21 leaves Chester-le-Street at 4.37, meaning the last N21 can't become the first 21 of the morning.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm)big mac wrote The last N21's arrive at Chester-le-Street at 4.45am from each direction (Durham and Newcastle), but the first 21 leaves Chester-le-Street at 4.37, meaning the last N21 can't become the first 21 of the morning.

I hadn't realised that, knowing GNE it wouldn't surprise me if it still did Big Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 18 Aug 2013

Maybe the N21 will interwork with the 0459 21?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 18 Aug 2013

From when I was out all night on the final night for the N58, I can't recall seeing them immediately (if at all) in the morning.
I would therefore assume they're likely to be the last two out of the depot on a morning, allowing a brief rest period for the bus.
No bus is built to operate 24/7.

RE: Go North East - Latest - stagecoachbusdepot - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 8:57 pm)Daniel wrote From when I was out all night on the final night for the N58, I can't recall seeing them immediately (if at all) in the morning.
I would therefore assume they're likely to be the last two out of the depot on a morning, allowing a brief rest period for the bus.

Indeed. Presumably they do need refueling, cleaning etc at some point!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:06 pm)gtomlinson wrote The N21 interworks with the 21 so it makes sense for Chester to operate it imo. The last Northbound 21 terminates at Pilgrim St to become the N21 and the last N21 becomes the 21 so it makes perfect sense for Chester to operate it as opposed to Gateshead at least imo

Re- the N20, the loadings have always been excellent when I lived in Durham. Often more waiting on the N20 than the N21. I always struggle for a cheap private cab in Durham as opposed to expensive hackney taxis so that may affect it.

Taxi's were poor in Durham. Not sure what it is like since they were opened up - tend to pre-book a private hire, after the experiences of standing for a hackney when I lived there and a few times since.

If the N20 is a success, I wonder why they haven't opened up other night bus routes apart from that and the N21?

The limitations to the night buses are obvious (maybe not so after a drink), but unless you live on route, then it's either a walk or a connecting taxi for the final leg.
More often than not, it is cheaper in a taxi if there are a few of you.

If there was more of an option in destinations, then maybe they would have taken off more than they have done?

Pointless getting the N97, if you had a hike upto Sunniside or at the far end of Brighton Grove?
Why would a group of students living at the Byker end of Chilly Road get the N58?
Why would someone living in West Rainton walk from Belmont?
Not much chance of getting a taxi at daft o'clock in the morning from Chester to the outlying villages after jumping off an N21 (I found out the hard way - saw two deer in a field as the sun came up which was nice Smile)
Getting off an N56 at the Galleries and walking to Teal Farm can't be much fun.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 8:57 pm)Daniel wrote From when I was out all night on the final night for the N58, I can't recall seeing them immediately (if at all) in the morning.

Try telling Deptford that about the Simplicity Versas! :p

(18 Aug 2013, 8:54 pm)W179SCU wrote Maybe the N21 will interwork with the 0459 21?

The N21 only operates on early Saturday and Sunday mornings, so on Saturday or Sunday mornings there isn't an 0459 21. There's an 0437 and then an 0529 from Chester on Saturday, and on Sunday it's 0437 and then 0554. So there's a considerable in time on both days between when the last N21 arrives in Chester, and the next possible 21 that it could work on departs.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 18 Aug 2013

So one hybrid gets a good bloody working

Also re. vehicles operating 24/7 on routes, I've used the Saturday evening 21 journey after having a drink in Chester (the one that leaves Durham at 2310 to go to Newcastle Pilgrim Street 0002), and they change vehicles at Corals on Chester Front Street. So, the vehicle that goes through to Newcastle to then operate the night bus has just come out of the depot.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 19 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 9:25 pm)Andreos1 wrote Try telling Deptford that about the Simplicity Versas! :p

Again, the two on the N56 will be the last two out on 42s presumably. As mentioned previously, cleaning is a requirement as per "Gold Standard" policy. No doubt a vehicle inspection has to be performed by an engineer also, just to check everything is fine.
There are 61s from something daft like 0530 (I've seen them on my early morning weekday troops into Sunderland when I'm having day trips - brilliant getting photos of buses as the sun is rising), but they wouldn't be appearing on there (granted, it's not such an early start time on Sundays either).

Then again, we're talking about my beloved Deptford here... I'm still surprised they haven't had the two Compasses out that they have at the back of the depot - regardless of whether they're MOT'd or not! Wink

A "Northern" branded Renown passed me heading towards Deptford depot this morning, approximately 15 minutes ago.
I believe it was either 4904 or 4905, and neither example is Deptford based...
Can anyone check this out on the tracker?

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:00 am)Daniel wrote A "Northern" branded Renown passed me heading towards Deptford depot this morning, approximately 15 minutes ago.
I believe it was either 4904 or 4905, and neither example is Deptford based...
Can anyone check this out on the tracker?

According to the tracker, they are still at both their respective depots. 4904 @ Gateshead and 4905 @ CLS

(19 Aug 2013, 5:18 am)citaro5284 wrote According to the tracker, they are still at both their respective depots. 4904 @ Gateshead and 4905 @ CLS

Ta. It passed me at quite a speed and I was on a bus myself so clearly mis-read the reg.
Nevermind, was probably a Deptford one coming back from Peterlee. Was a driver at the wheel.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 19 Aug 2013

Will be a gap in service, someones took bad on the 56 at the wheatchef. Ambulance car on scene.. this was about 10 mins ago

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 19 Aug 2013

I have a question regarding centre doors - ''Northern'' branded Vyking 3967 (currently on loan to Percy Main) has been operating the 1 and 17 frequently this week, and I have noticed it has used its centre doors at every stop (well, more or less). However, ''Centurion'' branded Renowns never use their centre doors. Can anyone explain this?

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 4:26 pm)W179SCU wrote I have a question regarding centre doors - ''Northern'' branded Vyking 3967 (currently on loan to Percy Main) has been operating the 1 and 17 frequently this week, and I have noticed it has used its centre doors at every stop (well, more or less). However, ''Centurion'' branded Renowns never use their centre doors. Can anyone explain this?

The Vykings are fitted with 'Please remain seated and exit the vehicle by the centre doors' announcement from their Angel days. Could that make a difference?

(19 Aug 2013, 4:33 pm)gtomlinson wrote The Vykings are fitted with 'Please remain seated and exit the vehicle by the centre doors' announcement from their Angel days. Could that make a difference?

Yeah, I noticed that and it was very annoying (having used the bus from Wallsend to Whitley Bay) - I guess it could make a difference. In my opinion, Vykings are ideal buses for the 17, the renowns can get overcrowded especially on the North Shields-Whitley Bay section of the route.

(19 Aug 2013, 4:36 pm)W179SCU wrote Yeah, I noticed that and it was very annoying (having used the bus from Wallsend to Whitley Bay) - I guess it could make a difference. In my opinion, Vykings are ideal buses for the 17, the renowns can get overcrowded especially on the North Shields-Whitley Bay section of the route.

Try Steve and Karen from Durham to Newcastle announcing every stop! Big Grin

(19 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm)gtomlinson wrote Try Steve and Karen from Durham to Newcastle announcing every stop! Big Grin

Oh god, I couldn't bear listening to that! - It's bad enough from Chester to Durham, nevermind the whole Angel route! I never use the 21 anymore, due to reliability issues.

(19 Aug 2013, 4:41 pm)W179SCU wrote Oh god, I couldn't bear listening to that! - It's bad enough from Chester to Durham, nevermind the whole Angel route! I never use the 21 anymore, due to reliability issues.

I've never had a problem with timing on Angel 21. Timekeeping is obviously an issue, but on a 7.5min frequency for half of the route, it hardly makes a difference to passengers.
That said, I do try and go for Pronto X21... :p

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 4:26 pm)W179SCU wrote I have a question regarding centre doors - ''Northern'' branded Vyking 3967 (currently on loan to Percy Main) has been operating the 1 and 17 frequently this week, and I have noticed it has used its centre doors at every stop (well, more or less). However, ''Centurion'' branded Renowns never use their centre doors. Can anyone explain this?

It's interesting you should say that. When I was on a Vyking operating the 51, it had the announcement, but the centre doors were not used. However, when a Vyking with the announcement was used on the 58, the centre doors were used. Guess it just depends on the driver? I know they aren't used on the 57, despite the bus being plastered with signs reading 'please exit via the centre doors'.

(19 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm)BJ10VUS wrote It's interesting you should say that. When I was on a Vyking operating the 51, it had the announcement, but the centre doors were not used. However, when a Vyking with the announcement was used on the 58, the centre doors were used. Guess it just depends on the driver? I know they aren't used on the 57, despite the bus being plastered with signs reading 'please exit via the centre doors'.

I've had it on the 17 twice now, and both drivers used them. The 17 is also full of signs saying 'Exit via the centre doors', but they are never used.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm)BJ10VUS wrote It's interesting you should say that. When I was on a Vyking operating the 51, it had the announcement, but the centre doors were not used. However, when a Vyking with the announcement was used on the 58, the centre doors were used. Guess it just depends on the driver? I know they aren't used on the 57, despite the bus being plastered with signs reading 'please exit via the centre doors'.

I don't understand not using the centre doors? I mean if they have centre doors surely it's easier for passengers? It's just confusing when some use it, some don't. Some say please exit via centre doors then some tell you to do so, some don't. It's just confusing.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I don't understand not using the centre doors? I mean if they have centre doors surely it's easier for passengers? It's just confusing when some use it, some don't. Some say please exit via centre doors then some tell you to do so, some don't. It's just confusing.

During the evenings, it's probably worth just using the front doors, but during the busier periods, they really should be using the rear doors.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:07 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I don't understand not using the centre doors? I mean if they have centre doors surely it's easier for passengers? It's just confusing when some use it, some don't. Some say please exit via centre doors then some tell you to do so, some don't. It's just confusing.

The Angel's for a while had GNE Customer Service on board pointing people to centre doors yet if they weren't on there then they'd ignore it and drivers were just as bad

(19 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm)gtomlinson wrote The Angel's for a while had GNE Customer Service on board pointing people to centre doors yet if they weren't on there then they'd ignore it and drivers were just as bad

I think most people, including some drivers, aren't all that used to it. The 'double-door' buses are only really on a handful of routes and once the ex-Oxford Volvos and 'Citylink' bendies go, it's only the 'X66' bendies that will have front and rear doors (excluding the 'Northern' spares).

(19 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I think most people, including some drivers, aren't all that used to it. The 'double-door' buses are only really on a handful of routes and once the ex-Oxford Volvos and 'Citylink' bendies go, it's only the 'X66' bendies that will have front and rear doors (excluding the 'Northern' spares).

I've noticed the X40 Scanias use the middle doors at New Bridge Street and Blackett Street.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 19 Aug 2013

I think their pointless, Can't wait for them to go in to back up buses

Ive only ever used the duel doors on the Vykings on the 26 in Hylton Castle when the driver told me nastly to go to the middle... i turned around and said any other time u don't f***ing use them, whats the point in having them.

They were built for London and GNE shouldn't of bloody bought them.