North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm)W179SCU wrote I've noticed the X40 Scanias use the middle doors at New Bridge Street and Blackett Street.

Oh, completely forgot about them! I've never used the service myself, so I wouldn't know, but I've seen a picture on Flickr where the centre doors are being used at Regent Centre - whether this is a regular occurrence or not?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm)Michael wrote I think their pointless, Can't wait for them to go in to back up buses

Ive only ever used the duel doors on the Vykings on the 26 in Hylton Castle when the driver told me nastly to go to the middle... i turned around and said any other time u don't f***ing use them, whats the point in having them.

They were built for London and GNE shouldn't of bloody bought them.

Vykings aren't bad buses. GNE should have converted them to single door like the Presidents.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Oh, completely forgot about them! I've never used the service myself, so I wouldn't know, but I've seen a picture on Flickr where the centre doors are being used at Regent Centre - whether this is a regular occurrence or not?

I've saw them used a few times, but not frequently... I've noticed passenger numbers increasing on the X40 though, possibly because of the upcoming withdrawal on Arrivas X40. To be honest, the bendy buses shouldn't be used on that service, usually a Merit is on there and that isn't even half full! Same with the 58, I personally don't think that needs bendy buses, the Versas will be more practical on the service. The Hadrian Park-Newcastle section is poorly used from my experience.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm)W179SCU wrote Vykings aren't bad buses. GNE should have converted them to single door like the Presidents.

Agreed - albeit a bit noisy! They really should do them up properly though - some seats have somewhat 'makeshift' headrests and the bell sound is horrible!

Michael, that bus driver was pretty out of order, as any time I've used the 26 or X3/X36 (Vyking), they've never used the centre doors - even at the Interchanges at Park Lane, Heworth and Jarrow.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:27 pm)W179SCU wrote I've saw them used a few times, but not frequently... I've noticed passenger numbers increasing on the X40 though, possibly because of the upcoming withdrawal on Arrivas X40. To be honest, the bendy buses shouldn't be used on that service, usually a Merit is on there and that isn't even half full! Same with the 58, I personally don't think that needs bendy buses, the Versas will be more practical on the service. The Hadrian Park-Newcastle section is poorly used from my experience.

I agree about the X40 - although this may change when the Arriva X40 stops? The bendies and even large single deckers aren't really suitable to the route the 58 takes, in my opinion, but are necessary for the Gateshead side, where it's usually standing room only on the bendies - even outside of peak time!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Agreed - albeit a bit noisy! They really should do them up properly though - some seats have somewhat 'makeshift' headrests and the bell sound is horrible!

Michael, that bus driver was pretty out of order, as any time I've used the 26 or X3/X36 (Vyking), they've never used the centre doors - even at the Interchanges at Park Lane, Heworth and Jarrow.

I'm going back a while but yeh he was i wasn't happy like i reported him but nothing happened.

They should of defiantly converted them to 1 door but they haven't got long left... thank the lord.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 19 Aug 2013

I think the hard sell on the Angel with customer service etc was that this will speed up your journeys by allowing people on and off at the same time (which might work with oyster cards)

But the problem was that some bus stops couldn't use a lot of the stops on the 21 route (anyone remember the Angel logo with the 2 crossed out on bus stops?) or passengers/drivers simply didn't bother.

Gateshead Council/Nexus actually redesigned some bus stops and did remedial works to allow dual doors to be used on a lot of the Gateshead sections of the route

They were horrible buses on the Angel and one in a long line of very poor decisions made by GNE on that route.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 19 Aug 2013

The dual doors being used on the 57 seems to depend on the driver. I've been told to use them at times, yet at other times been told I can't use them. Although customer services had said they should be used at *all* stops? Can't see that being the case, as I can remember there being exceptions with the 21. Some of the bus stops still have the pink Angel sticker on them in fact.

Yeh then they got the worst brand of all on the Presidents, then the Hybrids which iv'e yet to ride.. haha

Wonder if in the next 5/6 years it will get better buses but it will still have problems running as 2/3's.

It may gets its own part of the route like the X66 has.. u never know.. haha

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:32 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I agree about the X40 - although this may change when the Arriva X40 stops? The bendies and even large single deckers aren't really suitable to the route the 58 takes, in my opinion, but are necessary for the Gateshead side, where it's usually standing room only on the bendies - even outside of peak time!

I have fortunately never been in the area when one has been working, but how the heck do the bendies get around Leam Lane with the bends, twists, turns and parked cars?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm)W179SCU wrote Vykings aren't bad buses. GNE should have converted them to single door like the Presidents.

Converting the Vykings to single door would have more-or-less double the refurbishment cost (Quoted in Buses Magazine around the time as £20000 per bus) as they are DDA-compatible in Dual Door format but without spending money to alter the front door and wider the gangway there, they wouldn't meet DDA. Hence the reason they were left as dual door.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:37 pm)aureolin wrote Some of the bus stops still have the pink Angel sticker on them in fact.

There's a bus stop near Dunston Hill Hospital still showing the 639 and 639A on the flag. Quite a few of the ones in Crawcrook still show the 602 and 604 on the flag.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm)BJ10VUS wrote There's a bus stop near Dunston Hill Hospital still showing the 639 and 639A on the flag. Quite a few of the ones in Crawcrook still show the 602 and 604 on the flag.

The main stop in Birtley actually has Newcastle City Council written on the top of it Blush

I don't think dual door would ever have been foisted upon us as a region (in modern times at least) unless GNE hadn't have got the Vykings and ex-OBC stock in cheap

RE: Go North East - Latest - legend - 19 Aug 2013

I agree at times dual doors have merits, below I have posted a list where I believe that dual doors would be practical:

MetroLink M1
MetroCentre Circular S1
redArrows X1
Lime 8
Tyne Tees Express X9
Tyne Tees Express X10
Prince Bishops 20
Prince Bishops 20A
Angel 21
Crusader 27
Laser 35
Laser 35A
SimpliCity 42
fab fifty Six 56
CityLink 58
Drifter 60
Drifter 61
X66 metrocentre X66
Lime 78
Lime 78A

Any opinions?

(19 Aug 2013, 5:47 pm)gtomlinson wrote The main stop in Birtley actually has Newcastle City Council written on the top of it Blush

I don't think dual door would ever have been foisted upon us as a region (in modern times at least) unless GNE hadn't have got the Vykings and ex-OBC stock in cheap

I agree. I don't think we really need them, as while some of our services can get busy, it's nothing compared to London when most buses are running less than every 10 minutes up to midnight and beyond

(19 Aug 2013, 5:41 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Converting the Vykings to single door would have more-or-less double the refurbishment cost (Quoted in Buses Magazine around the time as £20000 per bus) as they are DDA-compatible in Dual Door format but without spending money to alter the front door and wider the gangway there, they wouldn't meet DDA. Hence the reason they were left as dual door.

Weren't they purchased for the fact they were dual door though? I can recall something being put out at the time by Go North East to say they were to speed up boarding/alighting times. I can recall getting a similar answer from Peter Huntley on Openline.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:50 pm)the pilot wrote I agree at times dual doors have merits, below I have posted a list where I believe that dual doors would be practical:

MetroCentre Circular S1
Tyne Tees Express X9
Tyne Tees Express X10
Angel 21
X66 metrocentre X66

Any opinions?

No for the Angel as it needs the seating capacity and dual door made no difference to reliability at all.

Is the S1 busy enough outside of bingo hours?

TTX services don't stop enough to make it of benefit for me.

I don't know the other routes well enough but dual door does require remedial work on bus stops and paving which can be costly.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:58 pm)aureolin wrote Weren't they purchased for the fact they were dual door though? I can recall something being put out at the time by Go North East to say they were to speed up boarding/alighting times. I can recall getting a similar answer from Peter Huntley on Openline.

I think that was just the sales pitch and a perk of getting them cheap.
Cheap deckers become available - bonus!
They have an extra door - double bonus!

(19 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm)BJ10VUS wrote There's a bus stop near Dunston Hill Hospital still showing the 639 and 639A on the flag. Quite a few of the ones in Crawcrook still show the 602 and 604 on the flag.

Sorry the sticker I was referring to was placed on the pole itself. An example can be seen at the Wicket Gate stop in Chester Le Street. It's got the pink Angel logo on with a 2X next to it.

(19 Aug 2013, 5:40 pm)Andreos1 wrote I have fortunately never been in the area when one has been working, but how the heck do the bendies get around Leam Lane with the bends, twists, turns and parked cars?

I honestly don't know - they've been lucky to have not collided with something yet! They block Felling Square if there are cars parked on the double yellows and they regularly mount the pavement at the Windy Nook Church junction. Around the estates, they use the entire road and have to wait for both lanes to be clear before attempting the turn at Staneway!

(19 Aug 2013, 5:58 pm)aureolin wrote Weren't they purchased for the fact they were dual door though? I can recall something being put out at the time by Go North East to say they were to speed up boarding/alighting times. I can recall getting a similar answer from Peter Huntley on Openline.

They were purchased for that reason (publicly) but I sense the cheap buses were attractive.

It failed miserably sadly.

(19 Aug 2013, 6:01 pm)aureolin wrote Sorry the sticker I was referring to was placed on the pole itself. An example can be seen at the Wicket Gate stop in Chester Le Street. It's got the pink Angel logo on with a 2X next to it.

No need to be sorry, my mistake! Go North East are pretty poor at updating information - the 24 is down as an 'Angel' on thekeymobile app! To be honest, the stickers will probably remain there for many more years to come! Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 19 Aug 2013

One of Gateshead's Renowns is brilliant. Retains stickers from Saltwell Park and Highwayman days...
It looks pretty poor from a customer point of view, but I love it as an enthusiast.

Yeh their terrible for updating everything.... the 71 and X84/X85 is still in rubbish form same as the 53/54 on the website.

Dunno if its a mistake but the 39 is still branded as Doxford Clipepr on the new timetables with MPD's but the date on it is 1st September tbh i can't see any changes...

Info for the 20/20A/35/A/B/C is wrong.

RE: Go North East - Latest - ne14ne1 - 19 Aug 2013

I much prefer dual/tri doored buses. So much easier boarding and alighting at busy times when there's seperate exits. I hate alighting on single doored buses at peak times having to squeeze past everyone, especially when I or others have bags/coats/shopping etc with them.
Each time I get back from London where bus boarding/alighting is just so smooth quick and efficient, I get so annoyed back up here where everyones trudging through the same door - its just so slow / or the driver refuses to open the exit doors for NO REASON WHAT SO EVER! Drives me mad lol

I agree the Gateshead side of the Citylink 58 route is the busier section, but with the Newcastle side having been reduced/made less frequent twice(?) now since operation began its no wonder.
Personally living walking distance from the coast road in North Heaton (Newcastle side of the route) I'm spoilt for choice with buses heading into town -1, 62, 63, 58, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 (and soon Arriva's new 51 too) - so of course with the 58 being less frequent I'm obviously more likely to catch the other buses, as does everyone else in the area.

I must say though the Citylink bendies are often standing room only at peak times, and especially over winter when they were passing me completely jam packed, unable to pick up a single extra person. So I'm not looking forward to them being replaced with rigid vehicles, and thought returning to single door use annoys me too.

I admit theres still a handful of drivers that seem incapable of pressing the next buttom along to open the centre/rear doors on GNE buses, and this has been the case with some vykings, and the 307 renowns I was on.

Go Ahead replied to my complaints stating drivers have been instructed clearly, several times to use all doors at stops where its safe to do so - i.e no kerbside barriers or kerbside bus shelters blocking access), but some drivers still appear to "hesitate" to use them.
By now I personally think its pure laziness/stuburness rather than being hesitant.
GNE also said for the likes of the citylink route that although requested, not all bus stops could be modified to accomodate the 3 door use due to the local authourity budgets being tight. Presume this goes for all three authoritys the citylink runs through - Gateshead, Newcaslte City and North Tyneside.

Also while I'm here can I also note that yes although several citaro artics are a little noisy and squeaky (& one 57 reg has a ear piercing squeal when turning), and some are unrealiable, ...coming home on one tonight I thought it rode like a Rolls Royce, espeically after having have been stuck on a ex London trident for an hour on Metro replacement services! lol.

Any way, rant over.

Long live dual doored doors and the bendies!!!! Big GrinTongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - DanPicken - 19 Aug 2013

[quote='BJ10VUS' pid='10435' dateline='1376934154']

There's a bus stop near Dunston Hill Hospital still showing the 639 and 639A on the flag. Quite a few of the ones in Crawcrook still show the 602 and 604 on the flag.

one south tyne hosp stop to shields still has 57A

RE: Go North East - Latest - big mac - 19 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 5:37 pm)aureolin wrote The dual doors being used on the 57 seems to depend on the driver. I've been told to use them at times, yet at other times been told I can't use them. Although customer services had said they should be used at *all* stops? Can't see that being the case, as I can remember there being exceptions with the 21. Some of the bus stops still have the pink Angel sticker on them in fact.

Yes. When the 21's were operating with dual doors, GNE published a list on their website of stops where customers should/shouldn't use the middle doors.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 19 Aug 2013

Simplicity 8326 on Staff Shuttle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9549665078/

Laser 5303 with a either a new panel or painted wrong colour after damage possibly
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9546875933/

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 20 Aug 2013

(19 Aug 2013, 6:12 pm)Daniel wrote One of Gateshead's Renowns is brilliant. Retains stickers from Saltwell Park and Highwayman days...
It looks pretty poor from a customer point of view, but I love it as an enthusiast.

When I had 4916 on the 58 the other day, that had Highwayman stickers in the wheelchair/pushchair bays, but didn't see any Saltwell Park stickers!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 20 Aug 2013

(20 Aug 2013, 8:36 am)W179SCU wrote When I had 4916 on the 58 the other day, that had Highwayman stickers in the wheelchair/pushchair bays, but didn't see any Saltwell Park stickers!

I'll go through my photos shortly to see which one it was. The Park ones were next to the cab (opposite the front right seat as you enter). Was great!

EDIT: It was 4918. Smile