North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm)Daniel wrote What's odd about the Vyking on 26A?
Nice to know she has returned to service nevertheless.

I thought the 26A was operated by a Versa, although this is first time i've seen this working other than on a Sunday, this could be the norm, I believe shes been back a few weeks now...not sure though.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 21 Aug 2013

Is it possible to check out the Concord - Newcastle and Concord - Sunderland services for the same period too?

Literally just shut down the laptop otherwise I would have done it myself.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I thought the 26A was operated by a Versa, although this is first time i've seen this working other than on a Sunday, this could be the norm, I believe shes been back a few weeks now...not sure though.

The first few of the evening are commercial. They therefore do not need a Euro 5 vehicle.
A Vyking allocation would not occur on a Sunday.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 8:58 pm)Daniel wrote The first few of the evening are commercial. They therefore do not need a Euro 5 vehicle.

I was a tad confused at the time, thinking where is the Versa, thanks for clearing that up for me Daniel.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 8:56 pm)Andreos1 wrote Is it possible to check out the Concord - Newcastle and Concord - Sunderland services for the same period too?

Literally just shut down the laptop otherwise I would have done it myself.

Can't find anything specific, but you would have had; 185, 186, 187, 188, X85, and X95? So you'd have had the same 6 an hour if they were to run once an hour? May need correcting on that though.

RE: Go North East - Latest - dav06295 - 21 Aug 2013

Service suggestions for service 58, 309 and 310.

- SERVICE 58 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 7-8 MINUTES / EVENINGS EVERY 20 MINUTES AND SUNDAY DAYTIME EVERY 15 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT 58 ROUTE BETWEEN HEWORTH AND NEWCASTLE. BUSES WILL EXTEND FROM PILGRIM STREET TO ELDON SQUARE VIA BLACKETT STREET.

- SERVICE 305 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 20 MINUTES / EVENINGS EVERY 60 MINUTES AND SUNDAY DAYTIME EVERY 30 MINUTES) SERVING: HADRIAN PARK - BATTLE HILL THEN THE CURRENT 310 ROUTE TO NEWCASTLE. SERVICE 305 WOULD OPERATE UNDER THE CENTURION BRAND. SERVICE 17 WOULD NOW OPERATE UNDER THE NORTHERN BRAND. SERVICE 305 WILL BE OPERATED BY MERCEDES CITARO'S.

- SERVICE 309 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 10 MINUTES / EVENINGS AND SUNDAY DAYTIME EVERY 30 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT 309 ROUTE BETWEEN BLYTH AND NEWCASTLE. MONDAY TO SUNDAY DAYTIME BUSES WILL SERVE THE SILVERLINK, WILLINGTON SQUARE AND ST PETER'S RATHER THAN BATTLE HILL DRIVE. MONDAY TO SUNDAY EVENING BUSES WILL SERVE THE CURRENT 309 ROUTE THROUGH BATTLE HILL DRIVE. SERVICE 309 WILL STILL BE UNDER THE COBALT CLIPPER BRAND AND BE OPERATED BY NEW HIGH SPECIFICATION VOLVO B9TL GEMINI 2'S. BUSES WOULD BE EQUIPPED WITH WI-FI, HIGH BACK SEATING, BUGGY BAYS AS WELL AS STANDARD WHEELCHAIR BAYS AND POWER PORTS. SERVICE 309 WOULD OFFER A MORE FREQUENT SERVICE THAN SERVICE 308 WITH MORE FACILITIES. THE COBALT CLIPPER DAY AND WEEKLY TICKET PRICE WOULD REMAIN THE SAME AND VALID FOR USE ON SERVICES 305, 309 AND 310. SERVICE 309 WILL OFFER BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY AND SIMILAR JOURNEY TIMES TO SERVICE 308.

- SERVICE 310 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 20 MINUTES / EVENINGS EVERY 60 MINUTES AND SUNDAY DAYTIME EVERY 30 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT 310 ROUTE BETWEEN NORTH SHIELDS AND NEWCASTLE. BUSES WILL NOW SERVE NEW YORK WAY, SILVER FOX WAY, COBALT PARK WAY AND ATMEL WAY DURING THE DAYTIME MONDAY TO SUNDAY. ALL MONDAY TO SUNDAY EVENING JOURNEYS WILL NOW SERVE HADRIAN PARK. SERVICE 310 WILL BE OPERATED BY MERCEDES CITARO'S.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 21 Aug 2013

I wasn't sure if the X95 had stopped by that point.

Either way, Newcastle has seen quite an increase in frequency (following the 187/188 route), but Sunderland is still the same.

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 21 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 8:58 pm)Daniel wrote The first few of the evening are commercial. They therefore do not need a Euro 5 vehicle.

Would all buses on a Sunday need a euro 5 vehicle. I thought that the 26A was operated by GNE commercial for a few early evening runs and Sunday daytime-early evening buses with Monday-Sunday evening buses been the contracted service which was Arriva but now GNE.

RE: Go North East - Latest - stagecoachbusdepot - 22 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm)Daniel wrote Why was the X2 withdrawn?

The real reason was so the Citaros could be put to use on providing a 10 minute frequency on the X1 - GNE's model of giving a high frequency on one route at the expense of an entire service. Great if you live in Houghton, Easington Lane etc, unlucky if you live anywhere on the Chester Road corridor.

I remember contacting GNE via Open Line on this at the time as the X2 was well used and provided a direct link for commuters and shoppers. Waste of time as they didn't give a monkeys about providing (at that time) no direct express service between the two biggest cities in their operating area. They seemed to think the fact that the journey was still possible by getting two buses (conveniently meaning singles/returns were pointless so everyone needed to buy a GNE Buzzfare) meant overall this was an improvement. After all, who wouldn't want to get a slower, stopping service, get off half way and wait around outside a shopping centre to change to another bus. And they wonder why people drive to work.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 22 Aug 2013

(21 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I was a tad confused at the time, thinking where is the Versa, thanks for clearing that up for me Daniel.

(21 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Would all buses on a Sunday need a euro 5 vehicle. I thought that the 26A was operated by GNE commercial for a few early evening runs and Sunday daytime-early evening buses with Monday-Sunday evening buses been the contracted service which was Arriva but now GNE.

The runs previously operated by Arriva, and the ones which are therefore secured by Nexus are as follows:

Monday to Friday -
2020 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2050 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2120 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2150 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2220 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2250 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
2320 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)

Saturdays -
1950 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
As above

Sundays -
1850 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
1920 #26A Sunderland to Heworth (and return)
As above

Mondays to Saturdays, the #26A workings before these can be operated by whatever has been allocated throughout the day (primarily a B7TL but other things do slip off onto there and GNE's timetable would suggest it was allocated a single decker..but nevermind!). The above mentioned runs - in accordance to the contract - have to be operated by a Euro 5 vehicle, and, as Deptford's best Euro 5 candidate, they are operated by a "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa, which presumably has worked a 42 during the day. As the "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versas are removed from service from a similar time to the final commercial boards on the 26A, it makes sense that these have a quick trip to the depot so the driver can cash in, and then the next driver picks the bus up and heads back to Park Lane before performing 26As for the night.

Sundays, you can see that more #26A workings are secured, but as Deptford do not require most/all of their "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versas to be out on Sundays (they do when counting 26A), the 26A can run off a commercial 26A which is operated throughout the day.

There is nothing stopping Deptford having the usual allocation out on a Sunday throughout the day and swapping them around at contract time, but the running costs would obviously be cheaper if they didn't. :p

(22 Aug 2013, 1:17 am)stagecoachbusdepot wrote The real reason was so the Citaros could be put to use on providing a 10 minute frequency on the X1 - GNE's model of giving a high frequency on one route at the expense of an entire service. Great if you live in Houghton, Easington Lane etc, unlucky if you live anywhere on the Chester Road corridor.

I remember contacting GNE via Open Line on this at the time as the X2 was well used and provided a direct link for commuters and shoppers. Waste of time as they didn't give a monkeys about providing (at that time) no direct express service between the two biggest cities in their operating area. They seemed to think the fact that the journey was still possible by getting two buses (conveniently meaning singles/returns were pointless so everyone needed to buy a GNE Buzzfare) meant overall this was an improvement. After all, who wouldn't want to get a slower, stopping service, get off half way and wait around outside a shopping centre to change to another bus. And they wonder why people drive to work.

It is a shame that the X2 was withdrawn for fare paying customers (single/return) and I do think that Go North East should have given customers the opportunity to buy a 'through single' or 'through return' to accommodate for the loss of their direct link.

I personally don't mind not having an X2 because I pay for Nexus CAT day tickets naturally (or Get Around, if going further afield). As I don't pay for singles, it really doesn't affect me. I've just woken up and am in no way prepared to go look for information myself (so do forgive me) but what were the differences in journey times between the old X2 and the new 2A/2C and X1?

FTAO those who have quoted that the loadings were good...
Were all of these people purchasing singles and returns? Or at least a majority at that..?
If not, and the service was being used by concessions that didn't buy those tickets (Here he goes again... It's like Dan's version of Fencehouses!), I can understand why GNE did withdraw it. That doesn't mean to say I agree with them doing it, but I can understand from their point of view why they did.
Without looking at the 'time machine', I don't know what tickets were like back then. Were they similar to how they are at present or were they a lot more limited (i.e. single/return with a few other options only)?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 6:31 am)Daniel wrote It is a shame that the X2 was withdrawn for fare paying customers (single/return) and I do think that Go North East should have given customers the opportunity to buy a 'through single' or 'through return' to accommodate for the loss of their direct link.

I personally don't mind not having an X2 because I pay for Nexus CAT day tickets naturally (or Get Around, if going further afield). As I don't pay for singles, it really doesn't affect me. I've just woken up and am in no way prepared to go look for information myself (so do forgive me) but what were the differences in journey times between the old X2 and the new 2A/2C and X1?

Were all of these people purchasing singles and returns? Or at least a majority at that..?
If not, and the service was being used by concessions that didn't buy those tickets (Here he goes again... It's like Dan's version of Fencehouses!), I can understand why GNE did withdraw it. That doesn't mean to say I agree with them doing it, but I can understand from their point of view why they did.
Without looking at the 'time machine', I don't know what tickets were like back then. Were they similar to how they are at present or were they a lot more limited (i.e. single/return with a few other options only)?

Guessing journey times on the 2a/2c and the X1 will be longer, only because of the route the Silver Arrows take and the number of stops they make - as well as the inevitable 5/10min wait at The Galleries.

Obviously the 8, follows the same route as the X2 as far as The Galleries, so offers a similar journey time.

It goes without saying that tickets were cheaper back then and there were more returns available.

Im imagining there weren't many making the entire journey, so any passengers going to
Newcastle will have boarded from points on Chester Road and beyond, primarily at The Galleries.

RE: Go North East - Latest - legend - 22 Aug 2013

Northern 4944 on Whay Aye Five-O service 50 to South Shields arriving Concord 11:50.

5231 has now been repainted into an orange base livery.
5232 is being prepared for repaint now, having returned from Thorntons for refurbishment.

Meanwhile, blue Omnicity 5263 has returned to Saltmeadows from Percy Main having been involved in a collision. She is having a panel replaced today.
"Coaster" 5269 arrived earlier today, and will be the next Omnicity to receive the blue livery.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 22 Aug 2013

Was trawling through my Twitter feed before and found this. Looks as if the 13 and 14 are being reviewed in the next service changes. I wonder what their proposals are.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm)Adam wrote Was trawling through my Twitter feed before and found this. Looks as if the 13 and 14 are being reviewed in the next service changes. I wonder what their proposals are.

Interesting, wonder what they will involve... bet you one of them is merging the services as 1 and making a pointless brand.. haha

Would that work?

The next set of changes are 1st September for the 13/14 - you probley's already know the changes so ill not bother going on about them.

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm)Adam wrote Was trawling through my Twitter feed before and found this. Looks as if the 13 and 14 are being reviewed in the next service changes. I wonder what their proposals are.

Unfortunately, using the current provision of GNE's services as a template, there is very little room for maneuver.

Between Langley Park and Sacriston Crossroads, all services follow the same route before going off in different directions. I'd imagine that Durham is the prime destination for most people in that area but links to both the Arniston Centre and the Hospital will be important too. I suppose the 15 could be diverted from Lanchester to Wilks Hill and Quebec, then back down into Langley Park before following either the 13/14 route into Durham but I can't imagine that'll be popular with passengers travelling from Consett, although it would provide a few new links.

Another, more radical option would be to create a circular service extending beyond Langley Park, up to Quebec, through Esh, Bear Park, Ushaw Moor and back towards Durham. But that option seems highly unlikely. The most likely thing that will happen is that both services will be consolidated into one providing a one-size-fits-all service of the kind GNE are noted for.

My own thoughts, based on the apparent unreliability of services in the area - how many 13's, 14's and x25s go missing, is to avoid the well known Langley Park triangle.

It is less famous that its well known cousin in Bermuda, but is notorious amongst drivers - who are loath to operate a vehicle in the area.

Services have been reported to vanish without trace or develop mysterious engine problems, rendering the vehicles un-servicable.
However, when said vehicles operate on other routes, they are known to work absolutely fine.

By consolidating everyone on one bus, bosses hope that the never-ending posting on the wall, querying the whereabouts of their bus will end, simply because the entire populations of the villages will have vanished with the bus.

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 1:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote My own thoughts, based on the apparent unreliability of services in the area - how many 13's, 14's and x25s go missing, is to avoid the well known Langley Park triangle.

It is less famous that its well known cousin in Bermuda, but is notorious amongst drivers - who are loath to operate a vehicle in the area.

Services have been reported to vanish without trace or develop mysterious engine problems, rendering the vehicles un-servicable.
However, when said vehicles operate on other routes, they are known to work absolutely fine.

By consolidating everyone on one bus, bosses hope that the never-ending posting on the wall, querying the whereabouts of their bus will end, simply because the entire populations of the villages will have vanished with the bus.

An interesting theory and one I'm inclined to agree with.

Langley Park is indeed a magical place unlike any other in the North East. I mean where else could you leave one Co-op, drive round the corner and immediately encounter shop which looks exactly the same as the one you've just left. A band of horse-riding, cart-pulling travelers arrive in Langley on a Sunday morning but you never see them leave.

I have seen many buses disappearing up Kingsway, or towards the cemetery, never to return. I once witnessed a bus driving up towards the cemetery in GNE livery only to return a few minutes later in Arriva colours. A mysterious minibus operated by Classic runs on a Saturday evening. I mistakenly presumed that this was the JSB (now Scarlet Band) operated 52, but the timetable showed there to be no service operating at the time in which I observed it.

Very strange!

RE: Go North East - Latest - cbma06 - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm)Michael wrote Interesting, wonder what they will involve... bet you one of them is merging the services as 1 and making a pointless brand.. haha

Would that work?

The next set of changes are 1st September for the 13/14 - you probley's already know the changes so ill not bother going on about them.

A few years ago, GNE were thinking of merging the 13/14 in with the 65 (now 265) under the kickstart fund, but the kickstart fund got withdrawn from the government, GNE were thinking of merging the 15 with the 45/46 but couldn't get the timing issue out on the 45/46 at Consett end.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 22 Aug 2013

I'd like the idea of the 13/14 to be similar to the 64. Not going to the same place(s) as the 64, but cross city. 13 could go to Crook, 14 to Sedgefield? Smile

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 22 Aug 2013

4957 on the X7 - Finally after 3 days I managed to catch it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9571122424/

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 2:14 pm)cbma06 wrote A few years ago, GNE were thinking of merging the 13/14 in with the 65 (now 265) under the kickstart fund, but the kickstart fund got withdrawn from the government, GNE were thinking of merging the 15 with the 45/46 but couldn't get the timing issue out on the 45/46 at Consett end.

Well to be honest, I don't know why the 13 route is still there is there much of a need of a Langley Park-Findon Hill?! I think having the 14 operate half-hourly would be better as the current 13 is just the 43/44 route to Sacriston then 14 route to Langley. The 14 is the most used in my opinion 2 factors bring me to this conclusion, 1) buses I've seen in Durham are busier on the 14 2) A lot of people on social networks, seem to ask for the 14 and the Arnison Centre seems to be quite an attraction.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 22 Aug 2013

6028 is now at Percy Main, working the long 17's today.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 22 Aug 2013

8224 is now on the X7 replaced 4909 I believe, it's on the 1610 from Middlesbrough, although currently 15 minutes late.

Can someone explain to me why Optare Solo SR 628 is branded Sunderland Connect, Obviously I know is a backup for the Hybrids, but seriously what is the point.

The thing is over the last two weeks I have seen it on daily basis and it has only been on the 700 once to my knowledge. Take today for example, This morning I got into Park Lane at 8:20am and at 8:30 628 came in on the "Normal" 39's, I then went down to Ingeus for my Customer Service Course, and I came back into Park Lane at 12:05pm, to which I seen 628 again, this time on the 73. So here is what I have seen it on over the past 2 weeks.

238(1) 700(1) 39(2) 73(2) X3(1) X36(1) and no doubt it has made a couple of appearances on the 135/136 also during that time. So therefore would it not be better to have 628 as a Northern Branded Spare, as by the looks of it, it is off route pretty much everyday.

RE: Go North East - Latest - V802EBR - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 3:13 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Well to be honest, I don't know why the 13 route is still there is there much of a need of a Langley Park-Findon Hill?! I think having the 14 operate half-hourly would be better as the current 13 is just the 43/44 route to Sacriston then 14 route to Langley. The 14 is the most used in my opinion 2 factors bring me to this conclusion, 1) buses I've seen in Durham are busier on the 14 2) A lot of people on social networks, seem to ask for the 14 and the Arnison Centre seems to be quite an attraction.

I do concur! I've used the 13/14 and its many previous incarnations for around 12 years.

The 13 in reality only benefits a small proportion of people wishing to go to Findon Hill- it doesn't benefit scholars at Fyndoune School as free school transport is provided by DCC from Langley Park and other surrounding areas.

The 14 does serve all the important areas: Arnison Centre, Framwellgate Moor (for FSD and New College), Dryburn Hospital and Durham.

The only people I can see annoyed at the loss of the 13 are college students studying at New College having to 'suffer' a trip through Nettlesworth and the Arnison Centre instead of a more direct route through Findon Hill.

I've asked for 2 14s an hour since they reduced the service from 2 14s and 1 13 an hour. However, they will not do it is because it increases the PVR by 1. Currently, the 13/14 just manages on a 2 PVR with interworking- however it can very easily run late- ideally the 14 needs around 35 minutes each way to take in traffic and other service delays.

Merging the 15s and 13/14 together would be an excellent proposal- it would provide fantastic and much wanted links. As other users have said it would disadvantage the original users of the 15- so it is highly unlikely to occur. On another note- GNE did mention about interworking the services at Durham but once again concerns about reliability and its knock effects nullified that proposal.

Now the Kickstart funding! That did boil my blood! The chance of my service actually getting improved was ripped away by government cuts!

Do not get me started on the X25!

I would be amazed if the 13/14 gets any improvements when its had straight cuts over the last 5 years. Speaking of which they've only just solved a major problem of the numbering of the additional 14 in the morning- bearing in mind the problem has been there for the past 5 years!

A Mystery has been solved, about a month back, someone might remember that I reported seeing a Pronto President coming along Crowther Road in Ayton N.I.S, now in light a development today, Phillip Spencer on Facebook had posted he seen an Angel Decker in the same area yesterday. Bit of a coincidence wouldn't you say. Anyways as it turns out there is a Volvo Truck and Bus Centre on Crowther Road in Washington(Ayton) which I never knew existed. So for anyone who is interested in catching something interesting one day, it looks like GNE send there Volvo Buses there for repairs etc.

RE: Go North East - Latest - stagecoachbusdepot - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 6:31 am)Daniel wrote It is a shame that the X2 was withdrawn for fare paying customers (single/return) and I do think that Go North East should have given customers the opportunity to buy a 'through single' or 'through return' to accommodate for the loss of their direct link.

It was marketed as a commuter connection when first branded as red arrows and certainly some of the passengers especially at peak times were 'business travelers'. I don't think it was particularly renowned for being used by concessions and can't see why the X2 would be any more likely to be vulnerable to concessions, than the X1. GNE certainly didn't give any 'loss making' or 'low passenger number' excuses, just that they were improving the X1 and - coincidentally they were severing the express Sun-Ncl link at the same time, which happened to mean the required buses were freed up.

Aside from the ticketing issue (they did have zoned Buzz Fare tickets back then and this period I'd say roughly coincided with when they really started to push them as opposed to singles/returns) removing a direct link was a retrograde step. Its not such a big deal if just popping out for the day, but for people using it to commute to work, GNE completely missed the impact/inconvenience/annoyance of having to get off at Galleries and wait around for the connecting bus.

(22 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote A Mystery has been solved, about a month back, someone might remember that I reported seeing a Pronto President coming along Crowther Road in Ayton N.I.S, now in light a development today, Phillip Spencer on Facebook had posted he seen an Angel Decker in the same area yesterday. Bit of a coincidence wouldn't you say. Anyways as it turns out there is a Volvo Truck and Bus Centre on Crowther Road in Washington(Ayton) which I never knew existed. So for anyone who is interested in catching something interesting one day, it looks like GNE send there Volvo Buses there for repairs etc.

Yeah, its been there a while.
The Scania facility by the ASDA Distribution Centre/Wildfowl Park has in the past seen Stanley Scanias getting work done there.
Never seen any North Tyneside based vehicles there though, but (if it is still there) Scania have a site up in the Killingworth area - which would logically mean with it being nearer Percy Main, that their Omnicities went there.