North East Buses
Things you don't always think about.... - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Things you don't always think about.... (/showthread.php?tid=1148)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - MrFozz - 14 Jan 2015

(13 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Just a thought...where do you tend to sit on a bus?

For me it can depend. If it's a decker - front seats upstairs. If they're taken, at the back upstairs, don't like the idea of sitting downstairs with the OAPs.

On a single decker, I tend to hit the front seats at the very front, not the 'reserved' ones for the OAPs. If they're taken, the back. Although in the past I have had a few looks from OAPs for sitting in those ones at the front. It's amazing how unnerving they can make you feel.

What about anyone else? Smile
For me, it depends, if I know the driver I will sit at the front and talk to them (naughty I know)...Sometimes I sit in the reserved seats, just to prove a point, but mostly middle or back

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - MurdnunoC - 14 Jan 2015

If there are seats facing each other, I tend to go for those if unoccupied. Otherwise, I'll go for the second row down from the back where the emergency door is located as that offers the most legroom.

On a decker, it has to be upstairs, backseat. The front seats, I find, are rather cramped and you end up sitting either sideways or at some other weird angle.

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Tom - 14 Jan 2015

The front seat on the right of the Olympians are great - a huge amount of legroom.

Things you don't always think about.... - R852 PRG - 18 Feb 2015

If you could preserve 3 specific buses, of any type or operator, what would you choose and why?

1) Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4838 - R838 PRG - Go North East
Although it's now with GHA Coaches in the north west, I gather it's still going and although it's now departed the fleet - I reckon would be a strong candidate for preservation in the future. I would pick this over 4839, because I felt the former was a lot nicer when I rode it. Also, because it was based at Chester-le-Street and ended its career there.

I would preserve her into her original Red, Yellow and Blue Go Northern colours, with the original arrow seating she would have had.

2) Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4905 - W905 RBB - Go North East
This one was always a favourite of mine, when I was starting out as an enthusiast independently back in summer 2012, I remember I always used to enjoy a Northern B10BLE turning up, and 4905 was usually the offering put forward by CLS. I hope she returns to Chester-le-Street before she is withdrawn, I've always loved this one. Also, I remember riding 4905 with my late grandad when little.

In terms of liveries - Lime. Without a doubt. I know a few may not know this, but 4905 was once a 'Lime' branded vehicle. Interior; 'Go' moquette seating. And she would be in the updated 'Lime' branding, not the original version she would have carried. (nice contrast!) Wink

3) Scania L94UA/Wright Solar 4949 - NK51 OLP - Go North East
I reckon I would just like to preserve this one because she has carried the Royal British Legion 'Poppy' livery, sign of respect if anything. I also thought she was really smooth on the few rides I've had on her!

I would paint her into the 'Poppy' livery to keep it going, and with the 'Go' moquette seating, etc.

What would you go for? Quite a hard choice when you've got to spread it out across all the brilliant buses in the land! Angel

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Tom - 18 Feb 2015

I'd love to preserve one of the amazing, school runner B10M's. I think there were plans to preserve one, so hopefully these plans are still going ahead!

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Andreos1 - 18 Feb 2015

4838 in it's original livery and showing original blinds.
It will have been just a few months old if the date on the photo is correct.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45726467@N02/14986952607/

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - MrFozz - 18 Feb 2015

(18 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote If you could preserve 3 specific buses, of any type or operator, what would you choose and why?

1) Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4838 - R838 PRG - Go North East
Although it's now with GHA Coaches in the north west, I gather it's still going and although it's now departed the fleet - I reckon would be a strong candidate for preservation in the future. I would pick this over 4839, because I felt the former was a lot nicer when I rode it. Also, because it was based at Chester-le-Street and ended its career there.

I would preserve her into her original Red, Yellow and Blue Go Northern colours, with the original arrow seating she would have had.

2) Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4905 - W905 RBB - Go North East
This one was always a favourite of mine, when I was starting out as an enthusiast independently back in summer 2012, I remember I always used to enjoy a Northern B10BLE turning up, and 4905 was usually the offering put forward by CLS. I hope she returns to Chester-le-Street before she is withdrawn, I've always loved this one. Also, I remember riding 4905 with my late grandad when little.

In terms of liveries - Lime. Without a doubt. I know a few may not know this, but 4905 was once a 'Lime' branded vehicle. Interior; 'Go' moquette seating. And she would be in the updated 'Lime' branding, not the original version she would have carried. (nice contrast!) Wink

3) Scania L94UA/Wright Solar 4949 - NK51 OLP - Go North East
I reckon I would just like to preserve this one because she has carried the Royal British Legion 'Poppy' livery, sign of respect if anything. I also thought she was really smooth on the few rides I've had on her!

I would paint her into the 'Poppy' livery to keep it going, and with the 'Go' moquette seating, etc.

What would you go for? Quite a hard choice when you've got to spread it out across all the brilliant buses in the land! Angel
I would for ex GNE 8288
[Image: Go_North_East_bus_8288_Dennis_Dart_SLF_C..._pic_1.jpg]

Ex GNE 8289
[Image: pyuvS4]

Marshall Dart
[Image: Go_North_East_bus_594_Dennis_Dart_SLF_Ma...y_2009.jpg]

Wink

Things you don't always think about.... - MrFozz - 18 Feb 2015

Ok, I admit Iwas telling porkies, I hated those, my mate once told me that one day on the 60, when got to Parkside a door fell off Big Grin

Caetanos werw awful, umcomfortable and I thought I was going to be murdered on there one day...

8288/89 were awful, sounded like RAF jets hugging the deck near enough

Buses I would really like to preserve would be

Leyland National
Leyland Atlantean
MCW Metrobua
MCW MetroRider...

If I was picking todays recent vehicals I would go 3944, 3945 and 3936, I used one those for donkeys year...

Would also like a Citaro and Scania...

One of my wildest dreams is winning Euromillions, buying a decker bus, kit it out in style and travel europe

What were Leyland Nationals like, may I ask?

Never been on one (that I can vividly remember, might have had a few when I was little with my grandad, will check that little notebook), despite many opportunities. Did anyone have any particular favourites? Were Mk1s better than Mk2s or vice-versa?

Anyone have any fond memories of them, what liveries did they have?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just they seemed like absolute monsters and I missed out!

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - omnicity4659 - 18 Feb 2015

I would preserve:

Arriva Northumbria: 1581 NK64 EEH, Wrightbus StreetLite Max, First enthusiast to sit in cab
Arriva Northumbria: 7522 NK14 GFJ, ADL Enviro400 / Trident 2, First member of public to step foot on 7522
Northumbria Motor Services: 251 G251 SRG, Optare Delta / DAF SB220

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Tom - 18 Feb 2015

Why the hell would you preserve a Streetlite, or a E400?

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - omnicity4659 - 18 Feb 2015

Listen, Tom, view the edit.

Tongue

(18 Feb 2015, 6:53 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote What were Leyland Nationals like, may I ask?

Never been on one (that I can vividly remember, might have had a few when I was little with my grandad, will check that little notebook), despite many opportunities. Did anyone have any particular favourites? Were Mk1s better than Mk2s or vice-versa?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just they seemed like absolute monsters and I missed out!

This is a Leyland National
[Image: 45dcecaf6ae3f1935183146d0ce636cd.jpg]

Photo belongs to a Simon_n17 on Flickr

One of the best buses ever made

(18 Feb 2015, 7:16 pm)MrFozz wrote This is a Leyland National
[Image: 45dcecaf6ae3f1935183146d0ce636cd.jpg]

Photo belongs to a Simon_n17 on Flickr

One of the best buses ever made

(face palms), Fozz, I knew what they looked like man. [emoji23] I think 4681, 4708 and 4710 are preserved.

Just wondering, do you have any memories of them? Smile

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - mb134 - 18 Feb 2015

Northumbria/Arriva North East's:

Volvo Olympian Northern Countries Palatine 2: 

7374/7413, loved all the Olympians just have special memories attached to these two

(18 Feb 2015, 7:25 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote (face palms), Fozz, I knew what they looked like man. [emoji23] I think 4681, 4708 and 4710 are preserved.

Just wondering, do you have any memories of them? Smile

Yes, I was nearly killed by one when I was a baby, either a National or Atlantean, I had just started by accounts...

Coming back from my mates funeral in 2000, I was pissed as a fart, got on a National, when I come to get off the bus, I was staggering down the aisle, forgot there was a step and completely missed it and smacked the bone above my arse and the funny bone(never understood why it is called that)...The very next day was the infamous spewgate incident Big Grin

One thing annoyed me once, coming back from Heworth on a 194, late at night on a National, pulls into Philadelphia depot, gets off the bus and disappears for ages, I cant remember what he was up to, but me and a couple of people were left on the bus...The driver may have nipped in to go for a slash or a turd or something, In the end I missed the last bus from Easington Lane back home.

Most of my memories will have a Leyland in there somewhere...

I thought they were nice buses, very reliable and were around for years.

Were GNEs last Nationals actually withdrawn within the last 10 years???

British Rail would go on to base the Class 142 Pacers on the Leyland National

Oh aye...my bad for thinking you didnt know what one was [emoji14]

(18 Feb 2015, 9:26 pm)MrFozz wrote Yes, I was nearly killed by one when I was a baby, either a National or Atlantean, I had just started by accounts...

Coming back from my mates funeral in 2000, I was pissed as a fart, got on a National, when I come to get off the bus, I was staggering down the aisle, forgot there was a step and completely missed it and smacked the bone above my arse and the funny bone(never understood why it is called that)...The very next day was the infamous spewgate incident Big Grin

One thing annoyed me once, coming back from Heworth on a 194, late at night on a National, pulls into Philadelphia depot, gets off the bus and disappears for ages, I cant remember what he was up to, but me and a couple of people were left on the bus...The driver may have nipped in to go for a slash or a turd or something, In the end I missed the last bus from Easington Lane back home.

Most of my memories will have a Leyland in there somewhere...

I thought they were nice buses, very reliable and were around for years.

Were GNEs last Nationals actually withdrawn within the last 10 years???

British Rail would go on to base the Class 142 Pacers on the Leyland National

Oh aye...my bad for thinking you didnt know what one was [emoji14]

Looks like they were pretty notable things in your life then! Wink I suppose I could relate that to Renowns.

Wouldn't mind being left in the depot! Wink

Yes, I think some were driver trainers up until around 2006 or something. Long before I started taking it all seriously though! Sad

(18 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Looks like they were pretty notable things in your life then! Wink I suppose I could relate that to Renowns.

Wouldn't mind being left in the depot! Wink

Yes, I think some were driver trainers up until around 2006 or something. Long before I started taking it all seriously though! Sad

We were left on the bus on the front forecourt at Philadelphia, I did find myself wandering into a depot once when Murton Depot was up and running, I would have only been about 5 or 6 as Murton depot closed around 1987/88, I captured wandering round the yard and letting myself onto buses [emoji23]

(18 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm)MrFozz wrote We were left on the bus on the front forecourt at Philadelphia, I did find myself wandering into a depot once when Murton Depot was up and running, I would have only been about 5 or 6 as Murton depot closed around 1987/88, I captured wandering round the yard and letting myself onto buses [emoji23]

Who else but you, Fozz? Tongue

(18 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Who else but you, Fozz? [emoji14]
Who else but me? I can think of one person almost straight away when it comes to trespass, difference being I was a child and I never attempted it again after I was given a lecture on health and safety and how a depot can be dangerous for unsupervised little boys lmfao [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

(18 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm)MrFozz wrote Who else but me? I can think of one person almost straight away when it comes to trespass, difference being I was a child and I never attempted it again after I was given a lecture on health and safety and how a depot can be dangerous for unsupervised little boys lmfao [emoji23]

Ahahaha...'The Doctor'. [emoji23][emoji23]

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - MrFozz - 19 Feb 2015

(18 Feb 2015, 11:40 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Ahahaha...'The Doctor'. [emoji23][emoji23]
Aye...The Quack it would be [emoji14]

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - MurdnunoC - 19 Feb 2015

(18 Feb 2015, 6:53 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote What were Leyland Nationals like, may I ask?

At the risk of stealing Davey Bowyer's gimmick.

Mk1 National's went like this:
nnnnnggggghhhhhhhnnnnnnngggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mk2 Nationals sounded like this:
uuummmmmooooommmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(Closest as I can get I'm afraid)

Things you don't always think about.... - R852 PRG - 19 Feb 2015

(19 Feb 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC wrote At the risk of stealing Davey Bowyer's gimmick.

nnnnnggggghhhhhhhnnnnnnngggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You are a genius! [emoji23]

At least that gives me an inkling. Judging by your, erm...sounds effects, Mk2s sound a bit like B10BLEs or DAFs to me.

(19 Feb 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC wrote At the risk of stealing Davey Bowyer's gimmick.

Thats hilarious mate, I am trying to imagine the noise of a National in my napper

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Andreos1 - 19 Feb 2015

(19 Feb 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC wrote At the risk of stealing Davey Bowyer's g"'"immick.

You forgot the noise of the drive belt when idling...

"dugerdugerduger... Duggerdugger uuummmmmooooommmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
(19 Feb 2015, 8:42 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote You are a genius! [emoji23]

At least that gives me an inkling. Judging by your, erm...sounds effects, Mk2s sound a bit like B10BLEs or DAFs to me.

Nowt like them at all.
The noise needs to be from the back of your throat.
Mark 1 - http://youtu.be/lZIKpjG30sE
Mark 2 -  http://youtu.be/3oLfhZfFzLE

(19 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote You forgot the noise of the drive belt when idling...

"dugerdugerduger... Duggerdugger uuummmmmooooommmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nowt like them at all.
The noise needs to be from the back of your throat.
Mark 1 - http://youtu.be/lZIKpjG30sE
Mark 2 -  http://youtu.be/3oLfhZfFzLE
That is music to my ears, that is how a bus engine should sound, loud as hell

Out of interest, do buses today still have that beep, beep, beep thing when reversing

Things you don't always think about.... - R852 PRG - 19 Feb 2015

(19 Feb 2015, 10:44 pm)MrFozz wrote That is music to my ears, that is how a bus engine should sound, loud as hell

Out of interest, do buses today still have that beep, beep, beep thing when reversing

I've noticed a few buses go beep beep beep when they reserve out of bus stations, don't know if this is just with older buses.

I know Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns do.

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - S813 FVK - 20 Feb 2015

(19 Feb 2015, 10:49 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I've noticed a few buses go beep beep beep when they reserve out of bus stations, don't know if this is just with older buses.

I know Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns do.

The Citaros on the Diamond do. A lot of bus stations don't have actual reversy outy stands. I can only think of Stanley, Peterlee,  Morpeth and Durham.

RE: Things you don't always think about.... - Adrian - 20 Feb 2015

Haymarket and Eldon Square too