North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 8:00 am)Dan wrote 4975 returned to Deptford yesterday morning and was out in service by the afternoon.

4976 should be sent to Saltmeadows this weekend (I'd imagine Sunday would be most likely, given that there's no Fast Cats operations on a Sunday).

No, a "Coaster" branded OmniCity works that service.
It runs light to Gateshead from Newcastle and then works the 07:56am #1 to Whitley Bay.

Unfortunately last time I went out for a photograph of that run, the driver had already put "Not in Service" on the display by the time it arrived into Newcastle.

What does the 1633/1715 ones from Newcastle then?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm)Tom wrote What does the 1633/1715 ones from Newcastle then?

Sure we've discussed this in the past.

After doing scholars, a red double decker (usually a Lolyne) does the X39 which departs at about 4pm and then does both 307s.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 8:00 am)Dan wrote 4975 returned to Deptford yesterday morning and was out in service by the afternoon.

4976 should be sent to Saltmeadows this weekend (I'd imagine Sunday would be most likely, given that there's no Fast Cats operations on a Sunday).

4899 has arrived back at Stanley, operated the PM Scholars 828 to East Stanley while 5294 operated service 821 to Shotley Bridge.

5338 also on X30/X31.

I was going to put this in the rare and odd workings thread but why make 2 posts when i can just make one.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm)Robert wrote 4899 has arrived back at Stanley, operated the PM Scholars 828 to East Stanley while 5294 operated service 821 to Shotley Bridge.

5338 also on X30/X31.

I was going to put this in the rare and odd workings threat but why make 2 posts when i can just make worse.
Yes, departed this afternoon.

3963 also back at Riverside.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm)Dan wrote Sure we've discussed this in the past.

After doing scholars, a red double decker (usually a Lolyne) does the X39 which departs at about 4pm and then does both 307s.

Oh right cheers.
On Saturdays, how does it work (sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to come up with something).

EDIT: with the first one from Wiltshire Dr.

(04 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm)Tom wrote Oh right cheers.
On Saturdays, how does it work (sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to come up with something).

EDIT: with the first one from Wiltshire Dr.

Just a B10BLE (or whatever Percy Main decides to allocate to 17s/307s that day). When it gets to Haymarket, it goes back out on a 307.

(29 Jun 2014, 8:04 am)Dan wrote Although I noted it on the Rare & Odd Workings thread yesterday as covering for a branded vehicle on the "Prince Bishops", it should be noted here for clarification that former "MetroLINK" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4962 (NL52 WVT) has been transferred from Washington to Deptford - which I expect is to cover Deptford's loss of MPD 544.
Similar examples 4961, 4963 and 4964 all remain at Washington.

Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4962 (NL52 WVT) returned to service at Washington on Monday; however, has arrived back at Deptford again this evening - it could be a flying visit, but it may be here for the weekend again. I'll try and find out tomorrow!

Meanwhile, Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4963 (NL52 WVU) has transferred to Stanley from Washington - I suspect it'll be temporary much like 4962.
A photograph of 4963 having entered service at Stanley can be seen on the link below:
https://flic.kr/p/ocujdg

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4962 (NL52 WVT) returned to service at Washington on Monday; however, has arrived back at Deptford again this evening - it could be a flying visit, but it may be here for the weekend again. I'll try and find out tomorrow!

Meanwhile, Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4963 (NL52 WVU) has transferred to Stanley from Washington - I suspect it'll be temporary much like 4962.
A photograph of 4963 having entered service at Stanley can be seen on the link below:

I have always wanted Stanley depot to have a Solar based there, although its only for a short period of time. Is there any basic reason why it has been transferred as im unaware of the depot been short of any vehicles as they still have 4845 (until 4900 gets repainted?)

(04 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm)Robert wrote I have always wanted Stanley depot to have a Solar based there, although its only for a short period of time. Is there any basic reason why it has been transferred as im unaware of the depot been short of any vehicles as they still have 4845 (until 4900 gets repainted?)

Yes, 4845 was transferred to Stanley so that they weren't short of any vehicles whilst the "Lime" branded B10BLEs were being repainted.
I'd imagine that 4845 will go straight back to Deptford to cover for the loss of MPDs to other depots for shuttle services - which is also the reason why 4842 was transferred to Deptford from Riverside.

It's possible that 4963 will release 4845 sooner, with 4962 acting as a stop-gap replacement for 4845 at Deptford where necessary whenever Deptford claim a vehicle shortage.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 05 Jul 2014

Does anybody have any information on 9131s whereabouts? Im just asking this because the last piece of information that we were given was that it was departing Crook on Wednesday and nothing more on whether it has departed the fleet yet.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 05 Jul 2014

Why have GNE removed the Key Readers from the buses?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 9:23 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Why have GNE removed the Key Readers from the buses?

There was discussion a few weeks back.
Not sure if we ever found out the real reason - I think there was a lot of guesswork.

What I do remember, is that purchase of the systems were subsidised using Government financial support.
There is comment elsewhere in the forum about the funds made available at the time.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=352

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 9:23 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Why have GNE removed the Key Readers from the buses?
It's interesting that only buses from Riverside and Percy Main have had these external readers removed...

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 05 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4962 (NL52 WVT) returned to service at Washington on Monday; however, has arrived back at Deptford again this evening - it could be a flying visit, but it may be here for the weekend again. I'll try and find out tomorrow!

My apologies for the confusion regarding 4962...

The vehicle was not working for Deptford yesterday, it was working for Washington. It had worked the 939 to Sunderland, arriving at around 1800, and headed back off towards Deptford (where in reality it would have been heading back to Washington via the Queen Alexandra Bridge). I'd completely forgotten about Washington doing that board of the 939 as it's been so long since I last saw it.

Regarding 4963, the vehicle was on loan to Stanley for one day to alleviate vehicle shortages. It has now returned to service at Washington.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 9:07 am)Robert wrote Does anybody have any information on 9131s whereabouts? Im just asking this because the last piece of information that we were given was that it was departing Crook on Wednesday and nothing more on whether it has departed the fleet yet.

Last day today - managed to keep it for an extra few days.

RE: Go North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 05 Jul 2014

I don't think that B5 will be the best vehicle for GNE. O'd say the best option would be to buy the MMC and build up a good relationship with ADL and if they did get enough orders of GNE for the standard Cummins diesel unit, they could try and persuade ADL to build 40 ADL bodied B8TL units for the TTX, TEN AND Red Arrows.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 11:15 am)DaveyBowyer wrote I don't think that B5 will be the best vehicle for GNE. O'd say the best option would be to buy the MMC and build up a good relationship with ADL and if they did get enough orders of GNE for the standard Cummins diesel unit, they could try and persuade ADL to build 40 ADL bodied B8TL units for the TTX, TEN AND Red Arrows.

I'm sure stagecoach have a massive % in ADL... I'm not sure so don't quote me on it so i wonder if that's why GNE are hasty on buying Enviro's.

(05 Jul 2014, 11:15 am)DaveyBowyer wrote I don't think that B5 will be the best vehicle for GNE. O'd say the best option would be to buy the MMC and build up a good relationship with ADL and if they did get enough orders of GNE for the standard Cummins diesel unit, they could try and persuade ADL to build 40 ADL bodied B8TL units for the TTX, TEN AND Red Arrows.

But don't Volvo need to actually produce the Volvo B8TL chassis before ADL can body it?

I'm sure Wrights would body it, if Volvo produced it.

times - V514DFT - 05 Jul 2014

Hello does both 44/44A run on sundays ive got to get to a place called catchgate,im ok for the 58 as it stops outside my door

RE: times - S813 FVK - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 3:46 pm)V514DFT wrote Hello does both 44/44A run on sundays ive got to get to a place called catchgate,im ok for the 58 as it stops outside my door

Just 44 on Sundays but the 43 covers White le Head after going through Tanfield Lea and Tantobie as usual.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 11:22 am)Dan wrote But don't Volvo need to actually produce the Volvo B8TL chassis before ADL can body it?

I'm sure Wrights would body it, if Volvo produced it.

I dunno, there's plenty of putting the cart before the horse around here. Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 9:42 am)Dan wrote It's interesting that only buses from Riverside and Percy Main have had these external readers removed...

I had a Day Rover on Thursday, so it's the first time I've really been north of Newcastle. I really can't see the reasoning for removing the external readers, unless the hardware hasn't lasted as long as they'd expected (or is out of warranty). On every other bus I was on it was delaying boarding times. The younguns with key cards were alright with it, but the OAPs were generally puzzled at the lack of a reader. It was then the few failed attempts before a successful read of the pass. In fact one (late) Cobalt Clipper I was on, the driver was just asking the OAPs to hand their pass over and scanning it for them.

I'd really love to see some data on boarding times with and without the readers. Although perhaps that's the reason only two depots have removed them at present?

(05 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm)aureolin wrote I had a Day Rover on Thursday, so it's the first time I've really been north of Newcastle. I really can't see the reasoning for removing the external readers, unless the hardware hasn't lasted as long as they'd expected (or is out of warranty). On every other bus I was on it was delaying boarding times. The younguns with key cards were alright with it, but the OAPs were generally puzzled at the lack of a reader. It was then the few failed attempts before a successful read of the pass. In fact one (late) Cobalt Clipper I was on, the driver was just asking the OAPs to hand their pass over and scanning it for them.

I'd really love to see some data on boarding times with and without the readers. Although perhaps that's the reason only two depots have removed them at present?

I agree - it could be that GNE are making a comparison between the two.

If that is the case, it's slightly irritating that such a poor job has been done of cutting the plastic/glass of the driver's cab to allow easier access to the scanner on the ETM.

As far as I know, no depots in the South Division have removed their external card readers whereas depots in the North Division have started to gradually remove them. In doing so, they've left marks on the floor, there's bars there, all sorts. It really does look bad, so I'm hoping that the external readers are re-fitted.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Jimmi - 05 Jul 2014

9131 is on the 1634 Bishop Auckland - Newcastle X21.

Meanwhile a Pronto branded President has broken down near the Honest Lawyer.

RE: Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm)Dan wrote I agree - it could be that GNE are making a comparison between the two.

If that is the case, it's slightly irritating that such a poor job has been done of cutting the plastic/glass of the driver's cab to allow easier access to the scanner on the ETM.

As far as I know, no depots in the South Division have removed their external card readers whereas depots in the North Division have started to gradually remove them. In doing so, they've left marks on the floor, there's bars there, all sorts. It really does look bad, so I'm hoping that the external readers are re-fitted.

Yeah - never seen one of Chester's removed (yet), but I have seen a lot in the past few days have been covered over with leather because they're 'inactive'.

(05 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm)Marcus wrote Yeah - never seen one of Chester's removed (yet), but I have seen a lot in the past few days have been covered over with leather because they're 'inactive'.

Yes, I do think the communication issues between the ETM and external card readers will be the reason why GNE were looking to see whether it was better without them or not.

Of course, although the cost may have been partly assisted by the BSOG (just ask Andreos about that), I'm sure GNE would have footed part of the bill too - otherwise every other operator would have also installed external card readers too.

RE: Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 4:23 pm)Dan wrote Yes, I do think the communication issues between the ETM and external card readers will be the reason why GNE were looking to see whether it was better without them or not.

Of course, although the cost may have been partly assisted by the BSOG (just ask Andreos about that), I'm sure GNE would have footed part of the bill too - otherwise every other operator would have also installed external card readers too.

Having gotten used to them - and with my Key Card - I'd feel a bit lost getting on without them Tongue

It seems, from DaveyBowyer's updates, that Percy Main is the main target of this, and Riverside. I would argue that GNE should trial this sort of thing on their most important routes (cough cough 21), but then again it could be due to some fault on the mechanical and electrical side of the vehicles that seem to be having them removed.

Perhaps the Cobalts are having late teething troubles Big Grin

(05 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm)Marcus wrote Having gotten used to them - and with my Key Card - I'd feel a bit lost getting on without them Tongue

It seems, from DaveyBowyer's updates, that Percy Main is the main target. I trust Riverside are doing the same?

I would argue that GNE should trial this sort of thing on their most important routes (cough cough 21), but then again it could be due to some fault on the mechanical and electrical side of the vehicles that seem to be having them removed.

Perhaps the Cobalts are having late teething troubles Big Grin

As I said above, vehicles in the North Divisional depots (Riverside, Percy Main and Hexham) appear to be having them removed, whereas the ones in the South Division aren't.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 05 Jul 2014

(05 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm)Dan wrote As I said above, vehicles in the North Divisional depots (Riverside, Percy Main and Hexham) appear to be having them removed, whereas the ones in the South Division aren't.

Go North East versus Go Northern?
Can't remember the split - but both entities/divisions received Government support

(05 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Go North East versus Go Northern?
Can't remember the split - but both entities/divisions received Government support

I'm confused - what are you getting at here?

Did you read this post, including the quote?