North East Buses
Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action (/showthread.php?tid=4392)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - stagecoachbusdepot - 09 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 1:50 pm)Storx wrote Yeah, if GNE went bust (highly doubt that mind), then some other operator would just buy the fleet and depots on the cheap and pretty much start up it up again. Stuff like the 10, 20, 21, 56, 58, X1 would go in a heartbeat.

I'd be pretty confident that Arriva would be extremely interested in the 21, 307, 309, Q3 and X21 and I'd be pretty confident Stagecoach would be interested in the Hexham operations, Sunderland local operations and South Tyneside operations to dominate their respective areas, if they could get them on the cheap. The rest who knows but someone would, maybe Rotala (got help us) or someone else might fancy a go in the area.

You just have to look at how quick Stagecoach jumped on pretty marginal services in the Arriva 52 and 55 when they had a chance.

Not sure they'd be allowed to under competition/monopoly regs would they?  Then again it's allowed in Washington and chunks of Durham I guess.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Storx - 09 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 5:19 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Not sure they'd be allowed to under competition/monopoly regs would they?  Then again it's allowed in Washington and chunks of Durham I guess.

Not sure they'd be able to get involved, if it's just taking routes over where GoNorthEast have pulled out. Needs to be a commercial transaction to actually stop.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Unber43 - 09 Nov 2023

If this strikes stays till January there will be a mass service reduction by may

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Aaron21 - 09 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 9:22 pm)Unber43 wrote If this strikes stays till January there will be a mass service reduction by may

What in term would they lose though if any

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - xpm - 09 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 2:50 pm)Thomas12 wrote 1-E7680-A5-526-D-4-E81-A57-C-407-DC47-FFEE9

Didn’t take long for more communication about the ‘independent’ survey.

This guy is completely off his nut!  

If they can’t afford to pay that’s one thing if they won’t that’s another.  A company’s   Employees should not be punished or made to feel or told they are not worthy of fair pay and conditions for the job they do because a private company, for the main whose job it is to satisfy shareholders cannot run their business effectively or profitably.

Perhaps with Ben’s approach he’d do well in China.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Andreos1 - 09 Nov 2023

The more I think about these Team Briefings, the more I start to wonder.

Who is it being distributed to and who is actually reading it?
The majority of the workforce are out and presumably won't have access to bait room noticeboards.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Unber43 - 09 Nov 2023

Aren't GNE the ones who wont talk till January unless UNITE bow down to GNE's offer

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - xpm - 09 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 10:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote The more I think about these Team Briefings, the more I start to wonder.

Who is it being distributed to and who is actually reading it?
The majority of the workforce are out and presumably won't have access to bait room noticeboards.

They have an app called ‘blink’ I believe - replaced Facebook groups a while back.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - GuyParkRoyal - 10 Nov 2023

The TUC are supporting the Unite members at Go North East.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/tuc-general-secretary-intervenes-go-north-east-bus-dispute

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Andreos1 - 10 Nov 2023

(09 Nov 2023, 10:21 pm)xpm wrote They have an app called ‘blink’ I believe - replaced Facebook groups a while back.

I'm imagining the scene now. 
Those out on the picket, all getting a notification and reading the message together. 

I don't think it's going to help at all.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - F114TML - 10 Nov 2023

ITV have just had Maxfield on the local news. Good lord it was excruciating.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - 54APhotography - 10 Nov 2023

(10 Nov 2023, 6:10 pm)F114TML wrote ITV have just had Maxfield on the local news. Good lord it was excruciating.

Feetham would have approved of that rubbish.... Ye gods....

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - F114TML - 10 Nov 2023

(10 Nov 2023, 6:14 pm)54APhotography wrote Feetham would have approved of that rubbish.... Ye gods....

Less what he said (same stuff they've been chruning out) more he seemed to be deliberately talking slowly and his monotone voice

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Ambassador - 10 Nov 2023

Compare the inept and embarrassing performance from Maxfield compared to how articulate one of his drivers was on Look North and how measured Sharon Graham was.

Its damaging to have him there, Feathams puppet or not, he’s too emotional, speaks poorly and isn’t fit to lead

Interesting Graham said she’d go over Nigel’s head but I doubt she’ll see too much joy from the newly appointed UK Bus CEO

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Andreos1 - 10 Nov 2023

(10 Nov 2023, 6:44 pm)Ambassador wrote Compare the inept and embarrassing performance from Maxfield compared to how articulate one of his drivers was on Look North and how measured Sharon Graham was.

Its damaging to have him there, Feathams puppet or not, he’s too emotional, speaks poorly and isn’t fit to lead

Watched Look North, hoping to see the interview. 
They either didn't do one or decided not to show it. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/misery-set-continue-bus-passengers-28077530 found this one on The Chronicle though. 

Agree about the two interviews on Look North.

It keeps being said, but they're not helping themselves.

Edit: it's now on the TTTV website. https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2023-11-10/its-hard-says-striking-bus-driver-as-pay-dispute-continues

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Coastliner700 - 10 Nov 2023

(10 Nov 2023, 6:49 pm)Andreos1 wrote Watched Look North, hoping to see the interview. 
They either didn't do one or decided not to show it. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/misery-set-continue-bus-passengers-28077530 found this one on The Chronicle though. 

Agree about the two interviews on Look North.

It keeps being said, but they're not helping themselves.

Edit: it's now on the TTTV website. https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2023-11-10/its-hard-says-striking-bus-driver-as-pay-dispute-continues

Its painful to watch he seems uncomfortable as if hes reading from a script! Interestingly how much money are they saving by not having an MD of Go North East since its merger with GNW. I am sure they’re paying Ben a quarter of what MG was been paid.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Unber43 - 10 Nov 2023

Do you think ben knows hes the scapegoat for all of this?

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Ambassador - 10 Nov 2023

(10 Nov 2023, 8:43 pm)Unber43 wrote Do you think ben knows hes the scapegoat for all of this?

I imagine he knows he’s the local fall guy, being a good company man, which is very 1980s business attitude.

Anyone with any nouse knows it’s Nigel in the proverbial driving seat.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - DeltaMan - 11 Nov 2023

Absolute cringe at Jamie Driscoll pledging "solidarity" with strikers. He should stick to sharing platforms with Ken Loach. That's about his level......

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Rob44 - 11 Nov 2023

Off topic but on topic - as i walked to work this morning along Old Durham Road i took a deep breath in and Im sure the air feels "cleaner". Does anyone have any access to what has happened to the clean air zone around Newcastle?? Im just thinking the air must be cleaner or with the fumes let off by the GNE buses just be replace by extra private vehicles heading into Newcastle??

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - deanmachine - 11 Nov 2023

(11 Nov 2023, 8:24 am)Rob44 wrote Off topic but on topic - as i walked to work this morning along Old Durham Road i took a deep breath in and Im sure the air feels "cleaner".  Does anyone have any access to what has happened to the clean air zone around Newcastle?? Im just thinking the air must be cleaner or with the fumes let off by the GNE buses just be replace by extra private vehicles heading into Newcastle??

Colder denser air might be the answer, I'm not sure a couple of 56s and X1s make that much of a difference compared to a bunch more cars.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Ambassador - 11 Nov 2023

(11 Nov 2023, 8:24 am)Rob44 wrote Off topic but on topic - as i walked to work this morning along Old Durham Road i took a deep breath in and Im sure the air feels "cleaner".  Does anyone have any access to what has happened to the clean air zone around Newcastle?? Im just thinking the air must be cleaner or with the fumes let off by the GNE buses just be replace by extra private vehicles heading into Newcastle??

St Mary’s Place and Percy St are much more pleasant and easier to navigate

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - BusLoverMum - 11 Nov 2023

(11 Nov 2023, 11:27 am)Ambassador wrote St Mary’s Place and Percy St are much more pleasant and easier to navigate

We had a clear run into the eldon square car park on Wednesday but getting back onto the motorway was a nightmare.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Adrian - 11 Nov 2023

(11 Nov 2023, 3:05 am)DeltaMan wrote Absolute cringe at Jamie Driscoll pledging "solidarity" with strikers. He should stick to sharing platforms with Ken Loach. That's about his level......
Not sure why this is relevant to the thread, but its a bit odd you criticising someone for sharing a platform with one of our most celebrated British filmmakers.

Jamie Driscoll has always stood with workers. I was always grateful when he took the time to visit picket lines that I was on.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Chris 1 - 12 Nov 2023

Assuming this goes the full 12 weeks, at the end of it all a large portion of driving staff won’t have driven a bus for 3 months. Are they allowed to just jump in and wagons roll, or will they have to have an assessment drive or some sort of re-familiarisation?

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Ambassador - 12 Nov 2023

(12 Nov 2023, 12:27 am)Chris 1 wrote Assuming this goes the full 12 weeks, at the end of it all a large portion of driving staff won’t have driven a bus for 3 months. Are they allowed to just jump in and wagons roll, or will they have to have an assessment drive or some sort of re-familiarisation?

Afaik, straight back to business. 

It’s not like pilots or a train driver who would need an assessment, it’s no different to a car driver, keys in and away

The more pressing concern will be all those passengers who’ve found a better alternative

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - adavies3774 - 12 Nov 2023

(12 Nov 2023, 12:55 am)Ambassador wrote Afaik, straight back to business. 

It’s not like pilots or a train driver who would need an assessment, it’s no different to a car driver, keys in and away

The more pressing concern will be all those passengers who’ve found a better alternative

They should have an assessment before they are allowed to drive again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - ne14ne1 - 12 Nov 2023

(12 Nov 2023, 12:55 am)Ambassador wrote The more pressing concern will be all those passengers who’ve found a better alternative

That has crossed my mind too. 
Obviously there’ll be many who had no alternative & will be desperate to get back on board to travel to wherever they need to get to, but 12 weeks is more than long enough for people to have formed new habits and adapted to alternatives where possible. 

Hugely damaging to our public transport. 
Especially in a period where we needed stability & reliability to gain a degree of trust in public transport so that those using private transport would consider the switch during the upcoming Tyne Bridge lane closures when road capacity will be reduced.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - NL62WVW - 12 Nov 2023

After being on furlough for 5 Months all I was required to do was sign a form to say I was still comfortable with the routes and a large vehicle. It was my responsibility to inform management if I wasn't comfortable driving.

I think ive still got a copy of it filed somewhere still.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action - Chris3912 - 12 Nov 2023

So are there no talks until Jan 2024 now?