North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 5:23 pm)gtom wrote In terms of Customer Service...GNE need to talk more.  Please fill in the form and sorry here's a buzzfare tend to be the response.  I've even asked them to stop sending me free tickets and just explain the reliability of the Angel beyond traffic (understandable)

I don't like the layout of the hybrids in terms of seating, would prefer a Enviros (of any double deck distinction)

I think they'd struggle to do that though - traffic is the main contributing factor for delays to service 21... All services with a frequency of 10 minutes or greater - regardless of who operates them - suffer the same problem.
As soon as they start suffering delays, they start picking up more passengers who have started to wait for the next bus, and so the delays continue and the buses end up starting to bunch up and overtaking each other at each stop.

The "Angel" B5s actually only have 66 seats compared to the "Tyne Tees Xpress" B9 examples which have 73. I much prefer the B5s to the B9s on the basis that they're more spacious. 

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - gtom - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm)Dan wrote I think they'd struggle to do that though - traffic is the main contributing factor for delays to service 21... All services with a frequency of 10 minutes or greater - regardless of who operates them - suffer the same problem.
As soon as they start suffering delays, they start picking up more passengers who have started to wait for the next bus, and so the delays continue and the buses end up starting to bunch up and overtaking each other at each stop.

The "Angel" B5s actually only have 66 seats compared to the "Tyne Tees Xpress" examples which have 73. I much prefer the B5s to the B9s on the basis that they're more spacious. 

Probably for another thread but I'd consider registering short workings Birtley - Chester/Durham and Newcastle - Harlow Green, at least at peak

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Greg in Weardale - 31 Dec 2014

Traffic delays will affect any bus service equally whether the frequency is ten minutes, thirty minutes or hourly; the bus will be however late the problem causes it to be, the frequency is irrelevant.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote I obviously cannot argue against direct experiences of breakdowns, but I wasn't aware that the Volvo Hybrids regularly did breakdown... They're still fairly new buses, and certainly should not be suffering problems so early in their predicted life span.

What I would say is slightly more plausible is that, like a lot of Wrightbus products, the "Angel" allocation are facing problems which are electrical rather than mechanical... So a bus may have to come off at Chester-le-Street to be replaced by a corporate liveried vehicle due to an issue with a light on the dash, or something similar...

Haven't had to transfer before but:

- I was on 6105 on the first full 309 of the day back in April and the fire warning system came on (the lights around the rev counter on the Volvo dashboard) as well as the noise. Ended up getting off due to the noise doing my head in and jumping on 6102 following behind on the 310 through Battle Hill.

- Every time that I've rode on ANE 7608, the upstairs bell makes a continuous ringing noise after being pressed until the driver opens the doors.

It does seem that Wright bodywork does tend to suffer from electrical faults.

(31 Dec 2014, 6:03 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Traffic delays will affect any bus service equally whether the frequency is ten minutes, thirty minutes or hourly; the bus will be however late the problem causes it to be, the frequency is irrelevant.

Can you explain to me how problems regularly arise with Go North East's service 21 and Stagecoach North East's 39/40 (as two quick examples), then, with these problems being seemingly more prevalent than a lower frequency service?

The frequency of a service usually dictates how many customers use the service. If an hourly frequency service was delayed by 5 minutes due to traffic on route, it would be picking up the same amount of customers as it would have done if it had been on-time, as customers aren't going to go to a bus stop 55 minutes in advance for the next service. If a service on a 7 minute frequency is delayed by 5 minutes due to traffic on route, there's a high chance that the driver is going to be picking up the load for two buses, not just one (as it is timetabled to do), and hence delays are made worse and worse until that bus is either regulated or reaches the terminus. Yet the frequency of a service is irrelevant?

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Greg in Weardale - 31 Dec 2014

The problem you are talking about is not particularly caused by traffic problems, but is more likely when a bus is missing because of breakdown or whatever. A long term traffic delay (or any delay lasting longer than the frequency of the service) eg temporary lights, road closure, etc, will have an equal effect on each bus.

(31 Dec 2014, 6:50 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote The problem you are talking about is not particularly caused by traffic problems, but is more likely when a bus is missing because of breakdown or whatever. A long term traffic delay (or any delay lasting longer than the frequency of the service) eg temporary lights, road closure, etc, will have an equal effect on each bus.

I'd suggest otherwise... Traffic flow does have trends, but is not completely consistent.

As I'm from Sunderland, I could provide quite a few examples in this city alone, before even thinking about examples from across the region. The Wearmouth Bridge is a good example which springs to mind; whilst you can guarantee that the bridge will be busier during peak times, how fast you get over the bridge depends on the drivers of the cars who are on it. During term time, I usually cross the bridge at about 08:00am each weekday morning (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). There is always traffic, but sometimes the driver can get through without stopping once. Other times, due to traffic congestion, the bus is stationary for a number of minutes.

Let's use the 35 as the example of our frequent bus service (every 10 minutes). Your posts would therefore assume that each of the 35 buses would be delayed by the same amount of minutes in this half-hourly period. This is not the case. The 08:00am bus may be delayed by 5 minutes as a result of this traffic congestion, and the 08:10am bus may get straight through. I don't think it would be wrong to suggest that most people would aim to be at the bus stop around 5 minutes before their bus is due, so in theory, the 08:00am bus starts to pick up a greater amount of passengers than it ordinarily would. Further delays are created by this, and the process goes on until the 08:00am and 08:10am buses are running together. By comparison, the 29 runs every 20 minutes. Let's imagine that it is also due to cross the Wearmouth Bridge at 08:00am, and suffers the exact same delay as the 08:00am 35 bus as they're running together. It has more of a chance of making up time because it's a 20-minute frequency service, and passengers aren't going to go out to catch it 15 minutes in advance...

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - tyresmoke - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 7:03 pm)Dan wrote I'd suggest otherwise... Traffic flow does have trends, but is not completely consistent.

As I'm from Sunderland, I could provide quite a few examples in this city alone, before even thinking about examples from across the region. The Wearmouth Bridge is a good example which springs to mind; whilst you can guarantee that the bridge will be busier during peak times, how fast you get over the bridge depends on the drivers of the cars who are on it. During term time, I usually cross the bridge at about 08:00am each weekday morning (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). There is always traffic, but sometimes the driver can get through without stopping once. Other times, due to traffic congestion, the bus is stationary for a number of minutes.

Let's use the 35 as the example of our frequent bus service (every 10 minutes). Your posts would therefore assume that each of the 35 buses would be delayed by the same amount of minutes in this half-hourly period. This is not the case. The 08:00am bus may be delayed by 5 minutes as a result of this traffic congestion, and the 08:10am bus may get straight through. I don't think it would be wrong to suggest that most people would aim to be at the bus stop around 5 minutes before their bus is due, so in theory, the 08:00am bus starts to pick up a greater amount of passengers than it ordinarily would. Further delays are created by this, and the process goes on until the 08:00am and 08:10am buses are running together. By comparison, the 29 runs every 20 minutes. Let's imagine that it is also due to cross the Wearmouth Bridge at 08:00am, and suffers the exact same delay as the 08:00am 35 bus as they're running together. It has more of a chance of making up time because it's a 20-minute frequency service, and passengers aren't going to go out to catch it 15 minutes in advance...

I agree with Dan here - my experience on our service 15 (every 7 minutes) is that it is very easy once you run late to start getting knocked back until the next one catches up. The effect usually snowballs until you end up with 3, and on bad days 4, running together! They can be slack as anything for time until you get to market day when suddenly all the time seems to disappear as the loadings go through the roof.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - citaro5284 - 11 Jan 2015

(30 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)citaro5284 wrote I am led to believe that some new vehicles will be getting delivered between March and May.

As to the make, model, livery and brand.....let the guessing commence  Tongue

The vehicles will have white LED destinations all round (front will be the same as 5390) with a proper destination in the rear as opposed to a number only and the bulk of them will be made to normal GNE specification.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Michael - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 8:31 am)citaro5284 wrote The vehicles will have white LED destinations all round (front will be the same as 5390) with a proper destination in the rear as opposed to a number only and the bulk of them will be made to normal GNE specification.

Still no list of orders i see  Wink

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 11 Jan 2015

White on black?
Goes back to what I was saying about DDA in Tyresmokes post.

White text on a black background could be best for a person with visual impairment, but inaccessible for someone with dyslexia.
source:http://www.dyslexia-unlocked.com/accessibility.html

edit: Completely forgot to mention the fact dyslexia is a protected characteristic under the DDA/Equality Act - hence my surprise it isn't specifically included in the PSV legislation.

If legislation is in place to ensure individuals aren't discriminated against, then it is a surprise that the most difficult colours a dyslexic person is likely to encounter, is seemingly seeing an increase in popularity amongst bus operators.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Dan - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 11:09 am)Michael wrote Still no list of orders i see  Wink

The truth of the matter is that a list of orders is commercially sensitive information, Michael. The 2013/14 financial year order list should not have been published either, but it was 'leaked'. Go North East's orders for this year will influence which buses need to be repainted prior to the arrival of new vehicles. citaro5284 has previously stated that orders will arrive between March and May, which means that we should see some associated repaints prior to and during these months. Clearly some buses won't need to be repainted, as new buses will directly replace some buses and allow those to be withdrawn, but it will certainly give us a rough idea.

citaro5284 could potentially get himself into a lot of bother if he released the list of orders. Let's say that the revised 20 (Durham - South Shields) has been planned to receive new buses in this financial year, and are due to arrive some time over the coming months, Arriva operate a Durham - Sunderland service and they could decide to launch brand new buses on this service too as a result of a list being published stating that service 20 will receive new buses. Likewise Sunderland - South Shields with Stagecoach. The likelihood is that service 20 won't receive brand new buses this year, but my point still stands.

(11 Jan 2015, 11:20 am)Andreos1 wrote White on black?
Goes back to what I was saying about DDA in Tyresmokes post.

source:http://www.dyslexia-unlocked.com/accessibility.html

But it's perfectly DDA-compliant, and is therefore above board.

As your quote rightly suggests, white on black is much better than amber on black for visually impaired people. There have been no complaints about 5390's destination during its trial, and the majority of customers have preferred the white destination over the ordinary amber destination.

Other operators have had the same results too. Arriva's "Sapphire" buses come with white destination displays as standard, likewise Lothian Buses.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Diamond One - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm)Dan wrote The truth of the matter is that a list of orders is commercially sensitive information, Michael. The 2013/14 financial year order list should not have been published either, but it was 'leaked'. Go North East's orders for this year will influence which buses need to be repainted prior to the arrival of new vehicles. citaro5284 has previously stated that orders will arrive between March and May, which means that we should see some associated repaints prior to and during these months. Clearly some buses won't need to be repainted, as new buses will directly replace some buses and allow those to be withdrawn.

citaro5284 could potentially get himself into a lot of bother if he released the list of orders. Let's say that the revised 20 (Durham - South Shields) has been planned to receive new buses in this financial year, and are due to arrive some time over the coming months, Arriva operate a Durham - Sunderland service and they could decide to launch brand new buses on this service too as a result of a list being published stating that service 20 will receive new buses. Likewise Sunderland - South Shields with Stagecoach. The likelihood is that service 20 won't receive brand new buses this year, but my point still stands.

But it's perfectly DDA-compliant, and is therefore above board.

As your quote rightly suggests, white on black is much better than amber on black for visually impaired people. There have been no complaints about 5390's destination during its trial, and the majority of customers have preferred the white destination over the ordinary amber destination.

might have a few list of suggestions for GNE these are pottential but probs won't or will happen

Coaster needs new vehicles Volvo Wright Gemini 3 i have seen 6116/6117 on there a Volvo Wright Gemini 2 on there in the past
East Durham Optare Solos could work
Fab Fifty Seven Wright Streetlites could trail one from Saltwell Park brand and then loan a Deptford Drifter out to see which one is compatible
X40 Optare Versas could do with them the long versions 
Lime Mercedez Benz Citaros could work the similar ones Washington has for 4 
North Tyne Links Optare Solos i have seen a photo of a Nexus branded one on flickr in the past
Pronto Volvo Wright Gemini 3 them ones currently on there are really old
Quaylink Wright Streetlites could easily test one of Saltwell Parks out
Toon Link Optare Versas the long versions
Tynedale Links Optare Solos to replace MPDS 
X66 Optare Versas long version would be ideal i have seen the 2 red ones on there loads of times in the past 
OK Way Optare Solos would be perfect there is alot of solos in Bishop Auckland so it wont feel left out

P.S me and my mate Ryan know which vehicles are needed 

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Michael - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm)Racer_Experience wrote might have a few list of suggestions for GNE these are pottential but probs won't or will happen

Coaster needs new vehicles Volvo Wright Gemini 3 i have seen 6116/6117 on there a Volvo Wright Gemini 2 on there in the past
East Durham Optare Solos could work
Fab Fifty Seven Wright Streetlites could trail one from Saltwell Park brand and then loan a Deptford Drifter out to see which one is compatible
X40 Optare Versas could do with them the long versions 
Lime Mercedez Benz Citaros could work the similar ones Washington has for 4 
North Tyne Links Optare Solos i have seen a photo of a Nexus branded one on flickr in the past
Pronto Volvo Wright Gemini 3 them ones currently on there are really old
Quaylink Wright Streetlites could easily test one of Saltwell Parks out
Toon Link Optare Versas the long versions
Tynedale Links Optare Solos to replace MPDS 
X66 Optare Versas long version would be ideal i have seen the 2 red ones on there loads of times in the past 
OK Way Optare Solos would be perfect there is alot of solos in Bishop Auckland so it wont feel left out

P.S me and my mate Ryan know which vehicles are needed 

I think everyone else does to... 

I don't think Citaro's will be ordered, to expensive, probables next year for them. 

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Diamond One - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm)Michael wrote I think everyone else does to... 

I don't think Citaro's will be ordered, to expensive, probables next year for them. 

Versas are cool

(11 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Versas are cool

Lime i think will be either Streetlite or Versa. 

Wouldn't mind the Volvo 7900 on the Lime Tongue 

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - RM2186 - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Versas are cool

Depends if you like driving a boat or not!  Smile

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Malarkey - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 8:31 am)citaro5284 wrote The vehicles will have white LED destinations all round (front will be the same as 5390) with a proper destination in the rear as opposed to a number only and the bulk of them will be made to normal GNE specification.
As a member of the Forum who is Visually Impaired and has had 2 Eye Surgeries in the last 3 Years, I welcome the decision to have White LED Destinations as standard on all future Vehicle Orders, they are without doubt a lot easier to read from a Distance particularly if your quite short sighted like me, the amber ones are not bad either to be honest although can sometimes appear to be blurry at Night, this probably as a result of the Street Lights where I live also being Orange, As for the Green Flip Dot Ones they are impossible to read in my opinion especially on the ELC Lolynes, I have often flagged a Bus down at the very last second as I have been unable to read what is on the Destination Screen from a Distance.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - RM2186 - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm)Malarkey wrote As a member of the Forum who is Visually Impaired and has had 2 Eye Surgeries in the last 3 Years, I welcome the decision to have White LED Destinations as standard on all future Vehicle Orders, they are without doubt a lot easier to read from a Distance particularly if your quite short sighted like me, the amber ones are not bad either to be honest although can sometimes appear to be blurry at Night, this probably as a result of the Street Lights where I live also being Orange, As for the Green Flip Dot Ones they are impossible to read in my opinion especially on the ELC Lolynes, I have often flagged a Bus down at the very last second as I have been unable to read what is on the Destination Screen from a Distance.

I have to say that the white on black destination is a lot easier to read from a distance for me. I wear glasses but am not otherwise visually impaired, so I assume easier for the vast majority all round.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Malarkey - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 2:59 pm)RM2186 wrote I have to say that the white on black destination is a lot easier to read from a distance for me. I wear glasses but am not otherwise visually impaired, so I assume easier for the vast majority all round.
I wear Glasses when I am watching TV etc at Home but other than that I never wear them, I would think if I did wear them whilst out and about I may see an improvement in what I can read from a Distance.

(11 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm)Malarkey wrote I wear Glasses when I am watching TV etc at Home but other than that I never wear them, I would think if I did wear them whilst out and about I may see an improvement in what I can read from a Distance.

That may well be the case as I do not need to wear mine for driving etc but I wear them all the time and it definitely helps

(11 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm)RM2186 wrote Depends if you like driving a boat or not!  Smile

I like boats too there fun

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Adrian - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 3:49 pm)Racer_Experience wrote I like boats too there fun

But you're not going to get very far putting one on a bus route! Smile

(11 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm)aureolin wrote But you're not going to get very far putting one on a bus route! Smile

As well as bus transport I like water transport 

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - R852 PRG - 11 Jan 2015

(11 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm)aureolin wrote But you're not going to get very far putting one on a bus route! Smile

The customers on the TTX make such an ordeal on Twitter of the X9/X10 - you'd think they were on the bloody Titanic!

(11 Jan 2015, 3:55 pm)Racer_Experience wrote As well as bus transport I like water transport 

I think both are classed as public transport.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Scott - 20 Jan 2015

(31 Dec 2014, 4:46 pm)Dan wrote It's the 58 and X66 which share 5389 and 5390.
On Saturdays when the PVR of the X66 increases to 5, one of those should be allocated (when they aren't required for the Citylink).

If/when the "Prince Bishops" services receive investment, twenty branded vehicles would be ordered and two or three corporate liveried spares of the same specification would also be ordered.

What was the routes that were scheduled to get double decker's at the same time as Red Arrows and Tyne Tees Express, but then didn't receive them?

Usually a red Versa acts as an additional vehicle for X66 on Saturdays.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 20 Jan 2015

The West Durham swift was scheduled to but they had to pull out apparently.

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Michael - 21 Jan 2015

(20 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote The West Durham swift was scheduled to but they had to pull out apparently.

I think they were but then it was changed for some reason... maybe this year?

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - V514DFT - 21 Jan 2015

i think coaster 1 might see investment

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Diamond One - 22 Jan 2015

some engineers said Streetlites for 8/78/78A and 45/46 also X66, Versas not new ones but some repainted for Q3

Renowns from Lime to Withdrawn
Ominicities from Red Kite to Toon Link
X66 Bendies to be Withdrawn
X40 Bendies also to Withdrawn

he also mentioned 5332 is now in Blaydon Racers Livery which i looked and was 100% true
this is what an engineer said while 637 had broken down yesterday

could anybody back me up if am right or wrong please?