North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - MurdnunoC - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, the stops on Harlow Green Lane were once served by *drum roll, cos it hasn't been mentioned for a while*..... the mighty 638!

Apart from scholars/works services - not sure if anything else has served it more recently.

If I recall correctly, it used to struggle to get up that hill.

The 638 really deserves a thread to itself. I don't think there was any other service quite like it and I doubt we will ever see anything of its kind again.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm)AdamY wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, the stops on Harlow Green Lane were once served by *drum roll, cos it hasn't been mentioned for a while*..... the mighty 638!

Apart from scholars/works services - not sure if anything else has served it more recently.

The 638 really deserves a thread to itself. I don't think there was any other service quite like it and I doubt we will ever see anything of its kind again.

It was one of their longest routes and we defiantly won't see a route like it again.

Does anyone remember when it was diverted down Grindon Lane and along Summerset road - Springwell Road when it joined its route at the Broadway- only on Sundays - it was ran by a Solo on a Sunday to.

(05 Aug 2013, 1:02 pm)Michael wrote

It was one of their longest routes and we defiantly won't see a route like it again.

Does anyone remember when it was diverted down Grindon Lane and along Summerset road - Springwell Road when it joined its route at the Broadway- only on Sundays - it was ran by a Solo on a Sunday to.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to travel on the Sunderland/Southern part of its Sunday route. In Gateshead, it ran between Blaydon Rugby Club and Ryton on a Sunday. Apparently, you could board the bus at the stop outside the Highlander at Swalwell (where it turned around), however, there was no information indicating that you could do this. After Derwent introduced its Cross Country service, I think the Sunday service was withdrawn between Swalwell and Ryton.

RE: Go North East - cbma06 - 05 Aug 2013

That was awhile back, originally Sunderland Busways decided on a Sunday that there run all there bus services as 15 every 20 minutes via Grindon Mill which resulted the loss along Somerset Road served by the 16, residents were not amused by there loss of service, even Busways stated that the residents only had a short walk to Springwell for service 23 and 24, Nexus funded 775 on a Sunday operated by Ok Travel and so Nexus diverted the 775 via Somerset Road and Grindon Lane to Grindon Mill, don't know why I cant remember the 638 going via Somerset Road as I lived at Nookside at the time, maybe it did but only for a short time as Busways backed down and ran one of the 15 services as a 16, so there was 2x 15's and 1x 16.

(05 Aug 2013, 1:29 pm)cbma06 wrote

That was awhile back, originally Sunderland Busways decided on a Sunday that there run all there bus services as 15 every 20 minutes via Grindon Mill which resulted the loss along Somerset Road served by the 16, residents were not amused by there loss of service, even Busways stated that the residents only had a short walk to Springwell for service 23 and 24, Nexus funded 775 on a Sunday operated by Ok Travel and so Nexus diverted the 775 via Somerset Road and Grindon Lane to Grindon Mill, don't know why I cant remember the 638 going via Somerset Road as I lived at Nookside at the time, maybe it did but only for a short time as Busways backed down and ran one of the 15 services as a 16, so there was 2x 15's and 1x 16.

Yeh now i remember, it seems they diverted it for use on Somerset road but it still ran once they swapped the routes around - so the 16 ran instead of the 15 on a Sunday, due to loss of the Grindon mill link (top of Grindon lane), think this was only for a short time, i remember using it a few times on a Sunday, the top of Grindon lane next to the Grindon Mill remains unused since Stagecoach withdrew the 15... Would be nice to have a bus go down their and turn at the turning circle their for the OAP's around that area.

Im sure i read years ago their was people asking for it to be reinstated.

Maybe a diversion of the 39 down that way, would only add 3-4 mins on to its route...

(05 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm)Michael wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 1:29 pm)cbma06 wrote

Yeh now i remember, it seems they diverted it for use on Somerset road but it still ran once they swapped the routes around - so the 16 ran instead of the 15 on a Sunday, due to loss of the Grindon mill link (top of Grindon lane), think this was only for a short time, i remember using it a few times on a Sunday, the top of Grindon lane next to the Grindon Mill remains unused since Stagecoach withdrew the 15... Would be nice to have a bus go down their and turn at the turning circle their for the OAP's around that area.

Im sure i read years ago their was people asking for it to be reinstated.

Maybe a diversion of the 39 down that way, would only add 3-4 mins on to its route...

Just had a look at the 1999 Sunderland map on my blog and it shows Grindon variant of the 638 route.

[Image: sa21999.jpg]

However, by 2006, looking at the Sunderland area maps located here, it had returned to its 'normal' routing via Chester Road.

Thanks, i didn't think of looking in the bygone area! =D

Fleet changes...

4894 4895 4988 8201 8205 8206 8207 8209 sold

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 05 Aug 2013

Yeah, the evening services went through that part of Sunderland too at one point.
Nearly sh!t a brick the first time it happened, not knowing the area at all then or being certain I was on the right bus (or indeed if it had changed its route completely and was going no-where near where I lived at the time).

Pretty sure at one point, the Sunday service was ran as two separate services. 638 Sunderland - Rickleton/Heworth and also between two points in Western Gateshead, effectively missing out the Wrekenton - Whickham section.

RE: Go North East - CitaroFavourite - 05 Aug 2013

DAF SB220GS 4894: S894 ONL, 4895: S895 ONL, R983 FNW and SPDs 8201, 8205, 8206, 8207, 8209: V201 ERG etc. have been sold to Alpha Recovery, Weetslade. how many SPDs Left? and DAFs?

RE: Go North East - Tom - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 3:06 pm)CitaroFavourite wrote DAF SB220GS 4894: S894 ONL, 4895: S895 ONL, R983 FNW and SPDs 8201, 8205, 8206, 8207, 8209: V201 ERG etc. have been sold to Alpha Recovery, Weetslade. how many SPDs Left? and DAFs?

SPD's remaining:
- 8215 (V215ERG) ~ Based at Gateshead in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8216 (V216ERG) ~ Based at Washington in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8220 (V220ERG) ~ Based at Winlation in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8221 (V221ERG) ~ Based at Stanley in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8222 (V822ERG) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8223 (X223FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8224 (X224FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8225 (X822FBB) ~ Based at Gateshead in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8226 (X226FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8227 (X227FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8228 (X228FBB) ~ Based at Hexham in ''Tynedale Links'' livery.
- 8229 (X229FBB) ~ Based at Gateshead in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8231 (X231FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8232 (X232FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''The Key'' livery.
- 8233 (X233FBB) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8234 (NK51MKF) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8235 (NK51MKG) ~ Based at Deptford in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8236 (NK51MKJ) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''The Key'' livery.
- 8237 (NK51MKL) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8238 (NK51MKM) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8239 (NK51MKN) ~ Based at Percy Main in ''Northern'' livery.
- 8241 (NK51MKP) ~ Based at Percy Main in ''Northern'' livery.

DAF's remaining:
- 4862 (S862ONL) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Lambton Worm'' livery.
- 4864 (S864ONL) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Lambton Worm'' livery.
- 4865 (S865ONL) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Lambton Worm'' livery.
- 4866 (S866ONL) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Lambton Worm'' livery.
- 4983 (R971FNW) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Waggonway'' livery.
- 4984 (R972FNW) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Waggonway'' livery.
- 4985 (R975FNW) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Waggonway'' livery.
- 4986 (R979FNW) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Waggonway'' livery.
- 4987 (R982FNW) ~ Based at Chester-le-Street in ''Waggonway'' livery.

Hope this helps! Smile

PB0003954/584 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: METROCENTRE COACH PARK
Finish Point: NEWCASTLE CITY CENTRE
Via:
Service Number: X50
Service Type: Normal Stopping/Limited Stop
Effective Date: 24-AUG-2013
Other Details: To operate on days which Newcastle United Football Club home fixtures are played at St James'Park

(05 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm)Michael wrote PB0003954/584 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Via:
Other Details: To operate on days which Newcastle United Football Club home fixtures are played at St James'Park

Soccer Bus again i would never use this bus ever as i am a Sunderland Supporter wish they could do one for Stadium Of Light to help on match day shuttles eg X51 under soccer bus brand and use an existing renown or a vyking or a president to help ease the pressure

(05 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm)CitaroFavourite wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm)Michael wrote PB0003954/584 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Via:

Soccer Bus again i would never use this bus ever as i am a Sunderland Supporter wish they could do one for Stadium Of Light to help on match day shuttles eg X51 under soccer bus brand and use an existing renown or a vyking or a president to help ease the pressure

Same, i'm a Sunderland supporter, we have a park and ride but stagecoach run it =)

RE: Go North East - Dan - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm)Michael wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm)CitaroFavourite wrote
Via:

Same, i'm a Sunderland supporter, we have a park and ride but stagecoach run it =)

SAFC's P&R scheme over NUFC's... Who can resist a free ride on a bus?! :p

Oh noes, also i hope i wasn't causing anything when i also said i wouldn't use it... i am of course a Sunderland supporter, i wouldn't be popular on it haha

Anyway y does he want one, Stagecoach run one a match day for SAFC.

(05 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm)park5354 wrote ]

I see cosminaut, aka Bazza, has changed his name to CitaroFavourite !!!!
[/quote]

So? am proud of supporting Sunderland nowt wrong with it

It is altoonative travel who oversee everything. Set up as a partnership between Nexus, Nufc, Newcastle City Council and Network One - there are two Park n Ride sites (www.altoonativetravel.com)

Looking at that list mentioned above, the Sxxx ONL Dafs which worked the Metrocentre service in the past have been decimated. Wonder what works Soccerbus this season?

(05 Aug 2013, 6:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote It is altoonative travel who oversee everything. Set up as a partnership between Nexus, Nufc, Newcastle City Council and Network One - there are two Park n Ride sites (www.altoonativetravel.com)

Looking at that list mentioned above, the Sxxx ONL Dafs which worked the Metrocentre service in the past have been decimated. Wonder what works Soccerbus this season?

my theory is probs 4910 a few Northern deckers or if your extremly lucky a Ten double decker reserve or normal something random like that

(05 Aug 2013, 6:05 pm)CitaroFavourite wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm)park5354 wrote ]

I see cosminaut, aka Bazza, has changed his name to CitaroFavourite !!!!

So? am proud of supporting Sunderland nowt wrong with it
[/quote]

I don't think he was criticising your decision to support Sunderland, but rather making the observation that you've changed your username, and questioning why you think SAFC need another match-day service when one already exists.

Just general banter.

RE: Go North East - busman101 - 05 Aug 2013

Don't SAFC need a few more fans before they need any more public transport ?

(05 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm)busman101 wrote Don't SAFC need a few more fans before they need any more public transport ?

Big Grin

Over the last few years it seems as though the Stadium of Light attracts more visitors during the off-season through gigs than it does through football.

(05 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm)AdamY wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm)busman101 wrote Don't SAFC need a few more fans before they need any more public transport ?

Big Grin

Over the last few years it seems as though the Stadium of Light attracts more visitors during the off-season through gigs than it does through football.

Where has the like button gone?! Wink

(05 Aug 2013, 7:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm)AdamY wrote

Big Grin

Where has the like button gone?! Wink

It ran away, just like all of the horses did in Newcastle last season..! Angel
[Image: 164667_388011171312881_2097924126_n.jpg]

lmfao, i was debating weather to post something about that but i didn't incase i got wrong.

3-0 - SJP - all im saying haha

In times of very little discussion, we turn to football banter. Standard procedure!
Apologies to anyone getting a little peeved by the unrelated posts. :p

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 05 Aug 2013

I don't get the horse thing. Explain? Tongue

(05 Aug 2013, 7:29 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I don't get the horse thing. Explain? Tongue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-22186034

RE: Go North East - BJ10VUS - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 7:32 pm)Daniel wrote http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-22186034

Ah, right Tongue

RE: Go North East - gtom - 05 Aug 2013

Park and Ride works for the Stadium of Light as it's in an awkward place in a city that's far far far less developed than Newcastle in terms of infrastructure.

The problem with having a P&R from the Metrocentre (the old P&R failing too) is that around key dates the traffic around the Metrocentre is horrific to get to at the best of times and you may as well drive into Newcastle and use the car parks in the City or preferably, a Metro station (Callerton for example)

In all fairness, I think the horse thing was pretty much condemned by all. The Daily Mail (ugh) did an expose on him, turns out he's an animal lover with four dogs.