North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 7:18 pm)Daniel wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 7:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm)AdamY wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm)busman101 wrote Don't SAFC need a few more fans before they need any more public transport ?

Big Grin

Over the last few years it seems as though the Stadium of Light attracts more visitors during the off-season through gigs than it does through football.

Where has the like button gone?! Wink

It ran away, just like all of the horses did in Newcastle last season..! Angel
[Image: 164667_388011171312881_2097924126_n.jpg]

*desperately looking for a photo of Netto carrier bags and pink seats... :p

RE: Go North East - MurdnunoC - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 7:42 pm)gtomlinson wrote The problem with having a P&R from the Metrocentre (the old P&R failing too) is that around key dates the traffic around the Metrocentre is horrific to get to at the best of times and you may as well drive into Newcastle and use the car parks in the City or preferably, a Metro station (Callerton for example)

I completely agree with this point and I'm surprised that Metrocentre allowed it since they are keen to stop their car parks from being used as a Park and Ride facility (hence, the various car park restrictions that have came in over the last few years). When you factor in the potential for increased congestion, which could have knock-on effect of deterring shoppers from shopping at the Metrocentre, the decision is almost nonsensical. The overflow car park may have the space capacity but the surrounding road infrastructure is not sufficient enough to cope with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a 'rent' involved and Metrocentre recieved some sort of income as a result of this deal.

The Sage HQ is the other venue, for those on the North of the river.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 05 Aug 2013

The overflow car park is now officially the 'staff car park' and Intu are very liberally handing out fines to staff parking in the wrong area.

I don't think Newcastle as a City needs a park and ride. It's not that bad to get into unlike Durham which struggles in the case of being old and compact and whilst the road layout changes soon to appear around Central Station will cause chaos, they still won't merit radical changes.

Newcastle is relatively small compact City but with a big Cityfeel but it's got thousands and thousands of car park spaces in both council and private hands available to people to use and you can park somewhere like Times Square and be by the Monument in 10 minutes and St James in the same time, the compact nature of the City doesn't lend to park and ride.

RE: Go North East - Dan - 05 Aug 2013

On a more serious point of discussion, is the X50 actually used enough in its current form to keep on going as it is?
I can understand why the Metrocentre is used as a terminus (it - despite not being a major one - is a train station which connects trains from Hexham, Prudhoe, Carlisle etc), but I do still feel that Central Station would be more suitable. Then again, it would have to compete against the Metro fares, surely? Another point to factor would be walking distance... Fair play if you're an opposition fan going to the Sports Direct Arena (couldn't resist, sorry! Wink) and you don't particularly fancy walking through the masses of Newcastle fans from Central Station, but paying whatever the daft single/return fare is compared to walking which is free... Hmm?
That's why I like SAFC's P&R scheme so much. It's free. You turn up and go... Next to no waiting.

But again Daniel it comes down to the Stadium of Darkness being in relatively inhospitable location whereas St James Park is dead bang in the City Centre. It's far easier for 52,000 people to get into a city like Newcastle using their own means than a city like Sunderland, this isn't a dig at Sunderland but its not in the same league in terms of City status as Newcastle

Why use park and ride when you have every major town and city in the region served into 2 bus stations that are a free kick away from the stadium and a train station that ain't much further?

RE: Go North East - Michael - 05 Aug 2013

gtomlinson, i agree, our own town centre is rubbish

There is also the Magpie Mover scheme, which is a £10 (I think) for the season.

Obviously, for those coming from Northumberland or West Gateshead/Co Durham, the Sage HQ and the Metrocentre is the first thing you come to in the way of a decent public transport hub, with free parking - the bonus of getting a Soccerbus, it is cheaper than getting a say 10 or 45 for the entire journey.

There will be some who park at Blaydon or Cramlington and use a bus or train for the final leg, but need to pay essentially a premium for doing so.

Agree entirely with the road infrastructure comments at the Metrocentre though.

As for park n rides, did anything ever come of the rumoured site next to the Angel?

(05 Aug 2013, 8:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote As for park n rides, did anything ever come of the rumoured site next to the Angel?

Planned to open next year

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council%20and%20Democracy/news/News%20Articles/Green-Light-Expected-for-Park-and-Ride-Scheme.aspx

Completely the wrong site in my opinion. Seems barmy to run another bus along Durham Road or the Western Bypass, if you've come this far you may as well make the rest of the journey into Newcastle

RE: Go North East - stagecoachbusdepot - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)gtomlinson wrote But again Daniel it comes down to the Stadium of Darkness being in relatively inhospitable location whereas St James Park is dead bang in the City Centre. It's far easier for 52,000 people to get into a city like Newcastle using their own means than a city like Sunderland, this isn't a dig at Sunderland but its not in the same league in terms of City status as Newcastle

Why use park and ride when you have every major town and city in the region served into 2 bus stations that are a free kick away from the stadium and a train station that ain't much further?

I think you're rather overplaying the 'unhospitable' location of the SoL and the 'free kick away' location of SJP.
Your examples - Eldon Sq & Haymarket are a 12-13 min walk from SJP. Central Station is 19 mins.
Let's look at the obvious comparisons in Sunderland - Wheatsheaf which is served by a fair range of services, 8 mins walk (4-5 mins shorter). Sunderland Station is 21 mins (2 mins longer).
Yes, the walking time from the Interchange is longer, but a number of services stop en route there at the Wheatsheaf, and for those that don't, the Interchange is still only a 27 min walk, which is not substantially more than the 19 mins from Central to SJP, that you indicated to be not an unreasonable distance).
(All walking times derived from Google)

RE: Go North East - Malarkey - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)gtomlinson wrote But again Daniel it comes down to the Stadium of Darkness being in relatively inhospitable location whereas St James Park is dead bang in the City Centre. It's far easier for 52,000 people to get into a city like Newcastle using their own means than a city like Sunderland, this isn't a dig at Sunderland but its not in the same league in terms of City status as Newcastle

I think you're rather overplaying the 'unhospitable' location of the SoL and the 'free kick away' location of SJP.
Your examples - Eldon Sq & Haymarket are a 12-13 min walk from SJP. Central Station is 19 mins.
Let's look at the obvious comparisons in Sunderland - Wheatsheaf which is served by a fair range of services, 8 mins walk (4-5 mins shorter). Sunderland Station is 21 mins (2 mins longer).
Yes, the walking time from the Interchange is longer, but a number of services stop en route there at the Wheatsheaf, and for those that don't, the Interchange is still only a 27 min walk, which is not substantially more than the 19 mins from Central to SJP, that you indicated to be not an unreasonable distance).

27 minutes from Park Lane to SOL walking, More like 10-15 minutes at the most. I used work at the SOL on a matchday a few years ago and didn't take that long.

Even with regards to that small ground in Newcastle City Centre I think your timings walking wise are way over the mark. I would say it's atleast half the time for all the times in minutes you have given.

RE: Go North East - stagecoachbusdepot - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote

27 minutes from Park Lane to SOL walking, More like 10-15 minutes at the most. I used work at the SOL on a matchday a few years ago and didn't take that long.

Even with regards to that small ground in Newcastle City Centre I think your timings walking wise are way over the mark. I would say it's atleast half the time for all the times in minutes you have given.

As I said in the original post, all walking times derived from Google.

RE: Go North East - Malarkey - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote

As I said in the original post, all walking times derived from Google.

Sorry didn't see that bit, but nevertheless I would say the information is wrong unless they had a Pensioner carry out the task of walking from A to B and timing themselves on a Stop Watch in which I would understand why the timings are so long.

Seriously 27 Minutes from Park Lane to SOL, That's the same amount of time pretty much if not quicker getting on the X1 at Washington Galleries to Gateshead Interchange.

Those Google times are awful. I'd half them at least and Wheatsheaf and Park Lane are under served compared to Eldon or Haymarket

Google times or not St James Park is central in one of Britain's major cities with a fantastic infrastructure. You simply can't say that for Sunderland

Small ground Adam? Erm...what does that make the SoL (the fake Wearside one not the wonderful bigger Portuguese one)

RE: Go North East - Deleted - 06 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 1:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, the evening services went through that part of Sunderland too at one point.
Nearly sh!t a brick the first time it happened, not knowing the area at all then or being certain I was on the right bus (or indeed if it had changed its route completely and was going no-where near where I lived at the time).

Pretty sure at one point, the Sunday service was ran as two separate services. 638 Sunderland - Rickleton/Heworth and also between two points in Western Gateshead, effectively missing out the Wrekenton - Whickham section.

Something is telling me the Sunderland section on a evening and Sundays was Sunderland to Low Fell then changed to Sunderland to Heworth. Sure the Sunderland to Rickelton evening and Sundays was as the 777 that then changed to Sunderland to Newcastle.

RE: Go North East - Deleted - 06 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm)gtomlinson wrote Park Lane are under served compared to Eldon or Haymarket

I thought Park Lane was the second most served and used bus station in the country, London Victoria being the first.

(05 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm)gtomlinson wrote Small ground Adam? Erm...what does that make the SoL (the fake Wearside one not the wonderful bigger Portuguese one)

Only thing that is bigger at ASDA (Ashleys Sports Direct Arena) is the capacity, but that's about to change with planning permission already given for the SOL to increase to 55,000. You could then say but they is plans for the ADSA to be 60,000, the plans are the same at SOL for 64,000 but both these plans are still on the drawing board so the only one that really counts is the planning permission for the SOL that has already been granted.

Both a waist of time really as BOTH teams have NEVER sold out to the current grounds capacity.

Just a little bit more history SUNDERLAND holds the record for the biggest crowd.

SUNDERLAND holds the record for the biggest win in the tyne and WEAR derby at 1-9. Yes 1-9 not 9-1 as it was at st.james park.

Right back to buses, getting carried away with my new avatar thinking im on another forum.

RE: Go North East - Dan - 06 Aug 2013

Sunderland City Council have confirmed that Ryhope Road, Sunderland, will be closed southbound only from Villette Road to Spelter Works Road (including the Spelter Works Road junction) from Monday 5th to Friday 9th August 2013.
The closure is expected to be in place between 9.30am and 6pm each day to allow resurfacing works to be carried out.

Services X7, 60 and 61 will be diverted from Ryhope Road via The Cedars and Queen Alexandra Road to re-join the normal route at the Queen Alexandra Road roundabout.

Services 39 and 42 will divert from Villette Road via Ryhope Road, The Cedars and Queen Alexandra Road to normal route.

Not sure how odd this is, but the 0610 939 service to Team Valley is being operated by a Blaydon Racers Merc today

0640 from Concord by recently branded Venture MPD 618

RE: Go North East - Andreos1 - 06 Aug 2013

(06 Aug 2013, 2:09 am)ADLEnviro wrote
(05 Aug 2013, 1:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, the evening services went through that part of Sunderland too at one point.
Nearly sh!t a brick the first time it happened, not knowing the area at all then or being certain I was on the right bus (or indeed if it had changed its route completely and was going no-where near where I lived at the time).

Pretty sure at one point, the Sunday service was ran as two separate services. 638 Sunderland - Rickleton/Heworth and also between two points in Western Gateshead, effectively missing out the Wrekenton - Whickham section.

Something is telling me the Sunderland section on a evening and Sundays was Sunderland to Low Fell then changed to Sunderland to Heworth. Sure the Sunderland to Rickelton evening and Sundays was as the 777 that then changed to Sunderland to Newcastle.

The 638 was Sunderland - Rickleton at one point, with the 777 not running on a Sunday or evening.
When the 638 ran to Heworth, pretty sure that was when the 777 was introduced on a Sunday for the short working to Rickleton.
The evening runs for the 777 - couldn't tell you to be honest. By the mid/late 90's when it did run late, I never had need to use the section before Harraton/Fatfield - it was always the bit after. Its last run towards Sunderland terminated on the A19 junction at Pennywell though, before running light to Chester.

I can't remember the 638 terminating at Low Fell though. Where would it have turned around? To be honest, if it had ran to Low Fell, I probably would have used it.

Percy Main's green van (1009 rings a bell for its fleet number?) appears to have moved over to Chester. Spent the morning at Harlow Green and then headed towards Chester not so long ago.

RE: Go North East - Michael - 06 Aug 2013

(06 Aug 2013, 5:44 am)Daniel wrote 0640 from Concord by recently branded Venture MPD 618

New design? Or the same?

(06 Aug 2013, 9:11 am)Michael wrote
(06 Aug 2013, 5:44 am)Daniel wrote 0640 from Concord by recently branded Venture MPD 618

New design? Or the same?

Just the same as before.

M-Ticket branded Lolynes 3803/4 are both out on 21s today.

RE: Go North East - DanPicken - 06 Aug 2013

(06 Aug 2013, 9:47 am)Daniel wrote M-Ticket branded Lolynes 3803/4 are both out on 21s today.

must be a problem with angels then

RE: Go North East - legend - 06 Aug 2013

Can someone please explain why I now have 42s running up my street (Ashbrooke Range) but have only seen one in the last half hour.

On another note, I've just caught up and some of you seem to be making terrible spelling mistakes. It's SOS not SOL...

On a further note three 42s just came running up, very late, with the exception of one. I didn't get the fleet no. but there is a Northern SPD on the 42 today.

RE: Go North East - gtom - 06 Aug 2013

(06 Aug 2013, 3:06 am)ADLEnviro wrote Both a waist of time really as BOTH teams have NEVER sold out to the current grounds capacity.

Well, that's just wrong as Newcastle have sold out countless times to full capacity...but back to buses.

Andreos1 wrotecan't remember the 638 terminating at Low Fell though. Where would it have turned around? To be honest, if it had ran to Low Fell, I probably would have used it.

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Leisure/CountrysideWildlife/countryside/gnf_guide.pdf

The above link is an old bus leaflet about how to access the Great North Forest, it shows the 638 terminating on Sunday at Heworth. It might be worth adding this leaflet to the collection but beyond my current brain power when it comes to uploading pdfs

RE: Go North East - idiot - 06 Aug 2013

Also would like to say that Sunderland is a bigger City than Newcastle....

RE: Go North East - gtom - 06 Aug 2013

(06 Aug 2013, 10:39 am)idiot wrote Also would like to say that Sunderland is a bigger City than Newcastle....

It was (because you included Washington whereas Newcastle didn't include its suburbs) but its not any longer

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/sunderland-now-smaller-than-newcastle-as-city-population-shrinks-1-4746170

RE: Go North East - Michael - 06 Aug 2013

How ironic; Newcastle's first signing since being sponsored by Wonga is a loan.

haha sorry couldn't resist!