North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=1727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Jimmi - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm)Dan wrote Try my best to balance the scales a bit, Tommy! Think my work here is done! Wink
Oh yeah, as if we don't get enough of that in here to begin with.

Now, what can we say about Stagecoach..?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - omnicity4659 - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 5:45 pm)Davie wrote Blyth put it on whatever they feel like!
Nice shot, though.

So from "Blyth put them on to keep the service to time" a few weeks ago, back to these comments......back to square one with you...

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - tyresmoke - 13 Mar 2016

1401/2/3 should be getting painted soon to eradicate the Quorum Express livery... only a few months after the services were renumbered and became Max branded! I believe they may be transferring out of Blyth too but where to remains a mystery.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Tom - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:06 pm)tyresmoke wrote 1401/2/3 should be getting painted soon to eradicate the Quorum Express livery... only a few months after the services were renumbered and became Max branded! I believe they may be transferring out of Blyth too but where to remains a mystery.

Jesmond for the X16 maybe?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Dan - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm)GX03 SVC wrote So from "Blyth put them on to keep the service to time" a few weeks ago, back to these comments......back to square one with you...

No "anti-Arriva" intended here, but my general thoughts as a bus user, which would apply to any company...

The excuse for Blyth's wrong allocations has seemingly been down to the company's operations team at Blyth making sure all services depart on time, leaving Blyth. This has been said for at least a year now, so can't be associated with any present roadworks. Is it not about time that the issues with timekeeping are addressed by the company's commercial team, adding extra resources or making route variations where required to make a realistic and achievable timetable, reducing the strain on the operations team at Blyth?

It's great that a bus can depart on time from Blyth, but that doesn't fix the issue for people waiting in Newcastle. Nor does it fix any sort of branding issues there are at present.

From a branding point of view; it wouldn't be as bad if all of the MAX buses were generically branded as 'Blyth - Newcastle' with no sub-branding, but sadly that's not the case.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - South Tyne Lad - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm)Tom wrote Jesmond for the X16 maybe?

They'd be unsuitable for the X16, They only have a 3 speed gearbox.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - PH - BQA - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm)GX03 SVC wrote So from "Blyth put them on to keep the service to time" a few weeks ago, back to these comments......back to square one with you...

*like*

It would be interesting to see how people reacted if Blyth just let services get later and later, in order to keep the allocation correct...

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Dan - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:17 pm)mb134 wrote *like*

It would be interesting to see how people reacted if Blyth just let services get later and later, in order to keep the allocation correct...

If that actually happened, it may give Arriva's commercial team a kick up the backside in fixing the issue, though?

The problem with all of these changeovers is that their real time information systems will show a higher "on time %", which isn't a true reflection on what's going on out there in the field.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Adrian - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:17 pm)mb134 wrote *like*

But it's a commercial decision to slap route names, numbers and destinations all over the side of the bus. Why bother doing that, if you're going to operate in the current way that Blyth do? What about the customers that have perhaps decided to use the service, based on the service spec they've been offered? Not great when it turns into a free for all eh...

Timetables should be realistic and achievable. With my experience of the express services at Newcastle end, I'd beg to differ that this was the case. Covering it up from the Blyth end is just painting over the cracks.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Tom - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:17 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote They'd be unsuitable for the X16, They only have a 3 speed gearbox.

Ah ok are the MPDs/Solos not the same?

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - South Tyne Lad - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:24 pm)Tom wrote Ah ok are the MPDs/Solos not the same?

MPDs have a 4 Speed gearbox and the solos have 5 speeds

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Jimmi - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:24 pm)Adrian wrote But it's a commercial decision to slap route names, numbers and destinations all over the side of the bus. Why bother doing that, if you're going to operate in the current way that Blyth do? What about the customers that have perhaps decided to use the service, based on the service spec they've been offered? Not great when it turns into a free for all eh...

Timetables should be realistic and achievable. With my experience of the express services at Newcastle end, I'd beg to differ that this was the case. Covering it up from the Blyth end is just painting over the cracks.

Don't get me started on wrong MAX allocations, because of the way Stockton work their services on a Sunday, I saw 5 buses on the X12 today, not a single one of them was MAX or even had WiFi and now Darlington are allocating Pulsar's to the 26A/X66 on a Sunday in place of the Omnicitys.

Also I hate unachievable timetables, don't get me started on the 5/5A at times! Sunday timetables are a joke, my 7 arrived in Durham at least 5 minutes late as it couldn't keep up with the demands of the timetable and it's the same every Sunday on the 7 and 8 with the latter runs stupidly late at times on Sunday's, 20 odd minutes late is the worst so far.

Oh and I'm sick of getting 1405 on the X66/X67 with WiFi that hasn't been set up!

(13 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote MPDs have a 4 Speed gearbox and the solos have 5 speeds

Cheers Smile - the MPDs/Solos especially are terrible on there shame the Commanders wouldn't be suitable as they are canny

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Adrian - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:34 pm)Jimmi wrote Don't get me started on wrong MAX allocations, because of the way Stockton work their services on a Sunday, I saw 5 buses on the X12 today, not a single one of them was MAX or even had WiFi and now Darlington are allocating Pulsar's to the 26A/X66 on a Sunday in place of the Omnicitys.

Do Stockton not still use 1457-60, 91, 92 & 94 on a Sunday for the X12? Corporate livery, but with WiFi.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Davie - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:34 pm)Jimmi wrote Don't get me started on wrong MAX allocations, because of the way Stockton work their services on a Sunday, I saw 5 buses on the X12 today, not a single one of them was MAX or even had WiFi and now Darlington are allocating Pulsar's to the 26A/X66 on a Sunday in place of the Omnicitys.

Also I hate unachievable timetables, don't get me started on the 5/5A at times! Sunday timetables are a joke, my 7 arrived in Durham at least 5 minutes late as it couldn't keep up with the demands of the timetable and it's the same every Sunday on the 7 and 8 with the latter runs stupidly late at times on Sunday's, 20 odd minutes late is the worst so far.

Oh and I'm sick of getting 1405 on the X66/X67 with WiFi that hasn't been set up!
I thought the X12 interworked with the 9/27 or am I getting confused?

(13 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm)Adrian wrote Do Stockton not still use 1457-60, 91, 92 & 94 on a Sunday for the X12? Corporate livery, but with WiFi.
Non of them were on the X12's that I saw, there was a few 09 reg examples on today along with a few 10 reg examples, the one I had certainly didn't have WiFi.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Kuyoyo - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm)Adrian wrote Do Stockton not still use 1457-60, 91, 92 & 94 on a Sunday for the X12? Corporate livery, but with WiFi.

It will be whatever is easy to get at.

(13 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm)Davie wrote I thought the X12 interworked with the 9/27 or am I getting confused?

X12 interworks with 9, 17, 27/27a and 29a on Sundays.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Davie - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:41 pm)Kuyoyo wrote X12 interworks with 9, 17, 27/27a and 29a on Sundays.
Cheers, Kuyoyo.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Stuartphin1639 - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:06 pm)tyresmoke wrote 1401/2/3 should be getting painted soon to eradicate the Quorum Express livery... only a few months after the services were renumbered and became Max branded! I believe they may be transferring out of Blyth too but where to remains a mystery.

Darlington service 12/12A a possibility

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - biglugs@yahoo.com - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:45 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Darlington service 12/12A a possibility

That would be a downgrade id say service 17

(13 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote That would be a downgrade id say service 17

Id say exchange them with Belmont in return for 3 Standard Pulsars, Refurbish the Pulsars and Then they will be 3 extra MAX Spares for Blyth.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - PH - BQA - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:20 pm)Dan wrote If that actually happened, it may give Arriva's commercial team a kick up the backside in fixing the issue, though?

The problem with all of these changeovers is that their real time information systems will show a higher "on time %", which isn't a true reflection on what's going on out there in the field.

(13 Mar 2016, 6:24 pm)Adrian wrote But it's a commercial decision to slap route names, numbers and destinations all over the side of the bus. Why bother doing that, if you're going to operate in the current way that Blyth do? What about the customers that have perhaps decided to use the service, based on the service spec they've been offered? Not great when it turns into a free for all eh...

My point referred to the 'Blyth just put it on what they feel like' posts. It is not their fault that timetables aren't achievable, they are just doing what they can to ensure services run on time.

1320 seen here having being repainted.
[Image: 25136095743_8a9f270a76.jpg]Arriva North East: 1320 / GN10KWH by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - BusLoverMum - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 8:15 am)Dan wrote Comments regularly crop up on this forum and others regarding the quality and presentation of Go North East's fleet, but I would certainly suggest that some people seem to be wearing those rose tinted glasses, based on my five-minute experience of Arriva Durham's fleet yesterday.

I managed to spot "Sapphire" ADL Enviro400 7538 with an odd coloured panel and missing branding on the front of the bus, two "Sapphire" VDL Pulsars with odd coloured panels (one was 1524, with a rear offside corner panel a darker blue compared to the rest of the bus), Lowlander 7444 which was looking incredibly tatty, and Solo 2823 which was looking tatty and missing sections of paint on the front of the bus.

Not forgetting the fact that some of the "Sapphire" Wright Streetlites on service 22* still only display a route number on the rear destination display, despite being fitted with a full-size rear display. Arriva have gone to the expense of purchasing a large LED display, so it's pretty poor that the company's electricians haven't bothered to change the switch setting to allow the correct information to be shown. It's a two minute job!

* I didn't catch any fleet numbers, but I'm sure Big'un and BLM will know! Wink

Big'un just said he couldn't recall which ones don't have the full rear display, though he thinks it's only one, now - 1598 had this fixed when the faulty displays were repaired, a few months ago.

(13 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm)Jimmi wrote 1320 seen here having being repainted.
[Image: 25136095743_8a9f270a76.jpg]Arriva North East: 1320 / GN10KWH by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr
Looks very smart!

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - BusLoverMum - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm)Jimmi wrote 1320 seen here having being repainted.

Frustratingl, Big'un didn't even notice the paint job when h saw it on the 22, on Friday. It pulled into Durham bus station when we caught our 22 home, yesterday, then got obscured by several double deckers, so we missed it then, too!

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - citaro5284 - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Frustratingl, Big'un didn't even notice the paint job when h saw it on the 22, on Friday. It pulled into Durham bus station when we caught our 22 home, yesterday, then got obscured by several double deckers, so we missed it then, too!

Hope he is not letting the side down mind  Big Grin

(13 Mar 2016, 7:47 pm)citaro5284 wrote Hope he is not letting the side down mind  Big Grin

Too busy looking at pictures of buses to look at the passing bus.

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016 - Rapidsnap - 13 Mar 2016

(13 Mar 2016, 6:17 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote They'd be unsuitable for the X16, They only have a 3 speed gearbox.

Actually they would be fine, discussing with a driver who has had much experience with these three vehicles that they are quite spreightly, basic facts for these 3 are...

1401 - Has 4 speed gearbox and does 62mph.
1402 - Has 3 speed gearbox and does 55mph.
1403 - Has 3 speed gearbox and does 55mph.

Even when I've used these vehicles as a passenger, they seem to perform well.

(13 Mar 2016, 9:45 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Actually they would be fine, discussing with a driver who has had much experience with these three vehicles that they are quite spreightly, basic facts for these 3 are...

1401 - Has 4 speed gearbox and does 62mph.
1402 - Has 3 speed gearbox and does 55mph.
1403 - Has 3 speed gearbox and does 55mph.

Even when I've used these vehicles as a passenger, they seem to perform well.

Was 1401 retrofitted with a 4 speed?
3 speed would be pushing it on a quite long stretch of the A1 ( Around 8-10 miles ) The Cummins in them have very High Rpms over 50mph and wouldn't do them well running non stop flat out all day.
Though 4 speed would be adequate on the X16.

I'm intrigued about 1401, Never known a Commander have a 4 speed.