North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1463)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Adrian - 04 May 2015

(04 May 2015, 9:21 pm)Robert wrote I have noticed these new destinations are very...long (in terms of 'via' points) than their predecessors. Any particular reason for this?
In my opinion, if there's no limitation, it should include all the main points. Obviously that has to be weighed up against how long someone would need to be standing to read the entire list! Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Rapidsnap - 04 May 2015

The B9s for the Red Kites won't be entering service for another few weeks. The one in attendence at the Rally arrived on trade plates, which means it wasn't taxed.

Also noted the windows were rather dirty on the Omnidekka, also to add, these have the same engine as carried by the Scania L94UBs.

Also you may note I said a week ago or so, that if we were getting 21 (could be 24 if Streetdecks are replacing like for like) of these Omnidekkas from Brighton, that there be gaps if the convertable open toppers stayed down there. Turns out it be a gap of 3 as 616 is a permament open topper, with 617/8 the convertables. Also noted that some of their 04 plates have been withdrawn. So withdrawn Omnidekkas at B&H stands at the moment as 610/611/614/619/621. Not sure when B&H website was updated, but I also noted that some of the Omnidekkas have Tachos.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Panasonic44 - 04 May 2015

If GNE is replacing all Plaxton Presidents yr 2000 models, they need 29 Omnidekkas. Not including 4 for DFD's Seaways.

Does any1 who knows why GNE stopped repainting Crusader to silver?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Rapidsnap - 05 May 2015

(04 May 2015, 11:37 pm)Panasonic44 wrote If GNE is replacing all Plaxton Presidents yr 2000 models, they need 29 Omnidekkas. Not including 4 for DFD's Seaways.

Does any1 who knows why GNE stopped repainting Crusader to silver?

The Plaxton Presidents aren't on the list to go yet. The deckers that need to be replaced first are Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 2 (Reason High Floor) & Dennis Trident / East Lancs (Unreliable).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Dan - 05 May 2015

(04 May 2015, 9:21 pm)Robert wrote I have noticed these new destinations are very...long (in terms of 'via' points) than their predecessors. Any particular reason for this?

The via points on all depots' destinations to have been revised (all services at Chester-le-Street, Stanley, Riverside and Hexham) have had a number of amendments. The programme has only been uploaded to those at Chester-le-Street and Hexham so far, but they will all be updated eventually.

The first amendment was to replace any coloured background on displays with coloured route numbers to be a plain white route number. This links to the fact that Go North East now favours full white LED displays on new orders; as there are now 33 vehicles in the fleet (+14 as yet to arrive), it makes sense to deliver some sort of consistency with white displays across the board.

Similarly, the via points themselves have been revised to be in-line with the 'Places Served' section of the website where you can download the timetables. If it is given on the website as one of the main calling points, it should be worthy for inclusion within the destination display.

The via points also appear longer, as it includes "Eldon Square via", "express via", "Shops via" etc. It's a way of being more specific, while keeping the top line (and arguably the most important line) more brief.

The specially-designed 'X' has been rolled out to the X9/X10 displays. Just the plain route number looked a bit naff, and with it being a premium express service, ought to have been a little different.

The route numbers are also now in Arial font (Arial Narrow if the number is three digits or has a letter in it) as this is larger and bolder, and is clearer to see from a distance. Look at the photos from the Metrocentre Rally Streetlite line-up and you'll clearly see which route number is more legible from a distance.

I'm more than happy to take any comments on-board. I certainly approved of Tom's idea to add "Shops via.." to the 17 Cramlington screen! I appreciate the via points are long, but also worth considering the upside to Go North East's commercial department... If someone is sitting behind a bus unaware that a certain bus serves a certain location, then sees that location scrolling along the bottom of the screen, they may be inclined to try out the bus and ditch their car (if it is cheaper to do so, etc). Of course there can't be so many that this person sitting behind stands no chance of seeing the whole cycle while at a red light!

Robert, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm also working on reducing the amount of switch setting errors, where the route number is shown on the wrong side of the bus. Wink

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - nk55 - 05 May 2015

Totally agree, I had 5409 on the 14s yesterday and received a few comments about how clear the destination was.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - S813 FVK - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 12:21 am)GMitchelhill wrote The Plaxton Presidents aren't on the list to go yet. The deckers that need to be replaced first are Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 2 (Reason High Floor) & Dennis Trident / East Lancs (Unreliable).

The lolynes arent DDA compliant either.

(05 May 2015, 6:00 am)Robert wrote The lolynes arent DDA compliant either.

I'd suggest this is probably the main reason for the commencement of the withdrawal of the Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne withdrawal. There may well be other reasons which are linked to reliability (hence why 3803 and 3858 were selected above two Olympians), but these reasons probably aren't the main reason.

They have seen 15 years of active service, and are now confined to scholar duties most of the time, but newer stock has been available to be sourced from another Go-Ahead subsidiary, so it makes sense to start to replace them to maximise any potential sale value (however unlikely, given that operators would only have 18 months with them before they have to make modifications or bin them).

@Dan - cant be bothered to quote post as its so long.

I'm rather glad that the destinations are being updated. Especially as a i noticed that the Diamond 44A destination is a lot longer than the 43 and 44 (including places like Whickham, Sacriston etc) so it will be nice if a bit of consistency is brought out (which is).

I also cant help but admire the difference the white numbers and destination displays actually mak. Much easier to see from a distance and probably wont get over powered by the sun making them easier to see when approaching too.

It has come as a pet hate of mine to see several destinations to all of a sudden have their number switch onto the wrong side. I know its not the worst thing in the world but it does certainly look out of place and 'untidy' compared to the res tof the fleet so im glad that they will be corrected. Hope 3875 gets corrected...its been like that for months. The route number would be hard to see anyway as the flipdot display is so dark and thats without the number being on the wrong side.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Rapidsnap - 05 May 2015

3875 prob be withdrawn before anything is done to it.

At least we now know why the Lime was renamed Coast&Country: http://www.simplygo.com/news/7m-investment-to-upgrade-north-east-bus-fleet

The Lime is being renamed Coast & Country to reflect that it follows the coast to country cycle track from Consett to Sunderland passing through Stanley, Beamish and Washington.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Kuyoyo - 05 May 2015

Following the withdrawal of Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4845 (R845 PRG), its destinations have been removed. It is thought that these destinations will be transferred to Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4954 (NL02 ZRX), which currently has flipdot destination displays.

As can be seen below

.jpg GNE-4954.JPG

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - LVK 404L - 05 May 2015

(03 May 2015, 4:50 pm)Dan wrote I jumped the gun somewhat earlier, but further movements have now taken place:
  • Chester-le-Street's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4896 (V986 ETN) has transferred to Deptford, allowing the withdrawal of Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4842 (R842 PRG) at Deptford.
  • Chester-le-Street's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4906 (W906 RBB) has transferred to Riverside, joining 4907 (W907 RBB) once more. They never seem to be too far apart, that pair! I believe this has allowed the withdrawal of dual-door Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 5164 (T814 CBW), but this will be confirmed in Go North East's official fleet news next week.
  • Chester-le-Street's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4908 (W908 RBB) and 4909 (W909 RBB) have transferred to Deptford. As posted elsewhere, this has released Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6008 (V308 LGC) and 6020 (V220 LGC) to Percy Main, in turn allowing the withdrawal of Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3858 (V858 EGR). Two buses have transferred but only one has been withdrawn, as Percy Main's Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 vehicles 
    have started to migrate down south to be treated to hybrid flywheel technology, as citaro5284 noted a few days ago here.
This concludes the cascades/withdrawals from Chester-le-Street Depot, but further movements are due to occur at Stanley Depot.

5164 is still out and about on service 5 in south shields today. so not withdrawn yet.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Tom - 05 May 2015

Information about the Quaylink changes are shown here: http://www.newcastlegreatpark-life.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Consultation-Boards.pdf
Also has an image of what the branding will look like - very smart.

(05 May 2015, 5:39 pm)Tom wrote Information about the Quaylink changes are shown here: http://www.newcastlegreatpark-life.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Consultation-Boards.pdf

Not "will" look like - "may" look like.

The text underneath clearly states that image is for illustration purposes only.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Tom - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 5:41 pm)Dan wrote Not "will" look like - "may" look like.

The text underneath clearly states that image is for illustration purposes only.

I never even saw that.
Well if it is going to look like that it looks very smart. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Michael - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 5:39 pm)Tom wrote Information about the Quaylink changes are shown here: http://www.newcastlegreatpark-life.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Consultation-Boards.pdf

That livery is quite smart.

This design is for illustration purposes - final design may differ
- Good. That mock up livery looks horrific in my opinion. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - citaro5284 - 05 May 2015

And we know it is not going to be X40......

Wonder when GNE will give us info on the Q1 changes, although its still 2 months away..

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - minibus1474 - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 5:44 pm)Michael wrote Wonder when GNE will give us info on the Q1 changes, although its still 2 months away..

Still need to let Joe Public know about 27X being withdrawn, and changes to 38/238/239 from 31 May.

(05 May 2015, 6:00 pm)minibus1474 wrote Still need to let Joe Public know about 27X being withdrawn, and changes to 38/238/239 from 31 May.

They should be on this week 

I can see the change for 31st May being published either this week or next week. As for the Quaylink, that will probably get published a lot closer to the change date.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Malarkey - 05 May 2015

(04 May 2015, 5:16 pm)Dan wrote When I was travelling from Gateshead to the Metrocentre on the X66 (on 5392), I heard quite a few positive comments about the wood-effect flooring and how the leather seats were quite comfortable.

I will always favour fabric seating, but the wood-effect flooring is most definitely a winner compared to what each of 'the big three' usually have as standard.
Just to confirm it was Malarkey's Mother you had overheard Dan, just asked her as forgot to tell her it wood effect rather than actual wood flooring, either way she really liked it.

In other news which I don't think has been mentioned, Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR) has transferred from Riverside to Deptford Depot.

And Wear Tees Xpress Mercedes Citaro 5335 (BJ10 VUV) has gained a Rear Advertisement for Spectrum Business Park.

NSAs were not working on 5398 this morning, and 5305s Front Destination Screen is buggered, will attach photos for the above when I go on the Computer in an Hour.

(05 May 2015, 7:30 pm)Malarkey wrote Just to confirm it was Malarkey's Mother you had overheard Dan, just asked her as forgot to tell her it wood effect rather than actual wood flooring, either way she really liked it.

In other news which I don't think has been mentioned, Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR) has transferred from Riverside to Deptford Depot.

And Wear Tees Xpress Mercedes Citaro 5335 (BJ10 VUV) has gained a Rear Advertisement for Spectrum Business Park.

NSAs were not working on 5398 this morning, and 5305s Front Destination Screen is buggered, will attach photos for the above when I go on the Computer in an Hour.

The comments I heard were mainly from people around my age, so I hope it wasn't your mother! The leather seats and wood-effect flooring really did seem to get noticed by the younger people on-board, during my journey heading towards the Metrocentre on the X66.

The transfer of 4923 from Riverside to Deptford was noted by myself last month here and confirmed on Go North East's Fleet News a week later here.

The Next Stop Announcements are not yet functional on any of the new vehicles. Note that the website states they are "coming soon": http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/coast-and-country
Please do send me the photograph of 5305's destination screen having problems: dan@northeastbuses.co.uk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Malarkey - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 7:35 pm)Dan wrote The comments I heard were mainly from people around my age, so I hope it wasn't your mother! The leather seats and wood-effect flooring really did seem to get noticed by the younger people on-board, during my journey heading towards the Metrocentre on the X66.

The transfer of 4923 from Riverside to Deptford was noted by myself last month here and confirmed on Go North East's Fleet News a week later here.

The Next Stop Announcements are not yet functional on any of the new vehicles. Note that the website states they are "coming soon": http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/coast-and-country
Please do send me the photograph of 5305's destination screen: dan@northeastbuses.co.uk
My Mother if she was on the same bus was sitting near the front with my Neice and Nephew.

Must of missed the transfer of 4923, haven't taken many photos in Sunderland as of late, particularly PL since GNE Service Changes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Adrian - 05 May 2015

Just passed an in service X10 on the Washington highway! Have they closed the A19 or something?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - citaro5284 - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 8:06 pm)aureolin wrote Just passed an in service X10 on the Washington highway! Have they closed the A19 or something?

might be your answer

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Andreos1 - 05 May 2015

(05 May 2015, 3:36 pm)Robert wrote At least we now know why the Lime was renamed Coast&Country: http://www.simplygo.com/news/7m-investment-to-upgrade-north-east-bus-fleet

Thought that didn't seem right.
They have made up the name of the cycle path and named a bus after it.

The C2C, actually stands for sea to sea.
http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/about-the-c2c/

The Sea to Sea (C2C) cycle route was developed by Sustrans in partnership with various Local Authorities, Groundwork West Cumbria, North Pennines Tourism Partnership, Forest Enterprise and the Lake District National Park amongst others

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - LeeCalder - 05 May 2015

I'm glad the Coast and Country brand decision has been clarified! That gives me reason to stop calling it the 'Lime' now lol