North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 21 Oct 2014

(20 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm)Dan wrote Sunderland isn't really 'Arriva territory', and there is an established express route operating between Sunderland and Peterlee, yet Arriva are operating a competing service from next Monday...

With or without Quality Contracts, bus operators can design competing routes!

Arriva (United) has always had the Sunderland to Peterlee corridor. Arriva cancelled service 31/31A due to low patronage for through passengers and passengers can connect for onward travel to Sunderland via 24 or 23 route, Arriva with the X21 is to protect their investment and to take away passengers from other competitors. Same as Ok1 and X1. Arriva is not doing nothing wrong. GNE would do the same if arriva entered in GNE territory.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - citaro5284 - 21 Oct 2014

At least if/when QCS comes in, there will be no more service suggestions for Go North East, Arriva or Stagecoach on this forum!

Adam M - how are you going to manage?

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 21 Oct 2014

(21 Oct 2014, 4:28 pm)citaro5284 wrote At least if/when QCS comes in, there will be no more service suggestions for Go North East, Arriva or Stagecoach on this forum!

We'll have to make a new thread based on QCS service suggestions! Tongue 

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - LeeCalder - 21 Oct 2014

If I could I would simply have these services:

23 - Vigo Bridge - Barley Mow - Birtley - Northside Estate
23A - Northside Estate - Birtley - Barley Mow - Vigo - Ayton - Lambton - Washington

77 - Sunderland - Fatfield - Biddick - Washington - Rickleton - Barley Mow - Birtley - Low Fell - Bensham - MetroCentre

184 - Washington - Barley Mow - Birtley - Katregina

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 30 Oct 2014

(21 Oct 2014, 4:48 pm)leestransportphotos wrote If I could I would simply have these services:

23 - Vigo Bridge - Barley Mow - Birtley - Northside Estate
23A - Northside Estate - Birtley - Barley Mow - Vigo - Ayton - Lambton - Washington

77 - Sunderland - Fatfield - Biddick - Washington - Rickleton - Barley Mow - Birtley - Low Fell - Bensham - MetroCentre

184 - Washington - Barley Mow - Birtley - Katregina

Well Birtley would be certainly well served as long as you didn't want to go to Newcastle.

Not sure the Northside Estate can sustain a service outside the X25 (its not really 'an estate' in the old sense more mass private housing car owning types)

The 23 carries thin air a lot of the time and I question the point of the service at all to be honest, especially the short runs between Crematorium and Barley Mow

I do agree Birtley could benefit from a link to Sunderland again but you can't sell Buzzfares based on direct routings.....

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 30 Oct 2014

No idea if changes have been made, but apparently (according to local gossip and The Chronicle) a block has been put on the housing around Northside by the council - so the need for a new service is even less likely.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 30 Oct 2014

I think GNE should just do away with Buzzfares in favour of the following zones:

- Tyne and Wear (including 309 to Blyth)
- West Northmberland
- South East Northumberland
- East Durham
- West Durham
- South Durham and Teesside

Passengers would be able to buy one zone for £4.75, 2 zones for £6.20 or a whole North East day ticket for £7.70.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 30 Oct 2014

(21 Oct 2014, 4:28 pm)citaro5284 wrote At least if/when QCS comes in, there will be no more service suggestions for Go North East, Arriva or Stagecoach on this forum!

you can still make service suggestions, but not within tyne and wear boundry, the QCS is only for within the tyne and wear boundry and also for across boundry bus services and also the ticketing system.

example: Arriva service 24 Durham to Hartlepool will stay within Arriva control, Durham county council and Northumberland county council are not taking full control of bus services, their are only doing the cross boundry bus services and tickets. later on Durham Council and Northumberland council could take control if their wish. And you never know that GNE might start new services in the Arriva carved up area of Durham county.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 30 Oct 2014

With great ease, I'll just have to make a "QCS Service Suggestions Thread" then won't I.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 30 Oct 2014

I think it was a tongue in cheek comment!

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 03 Nov 2014

Services as they Stand at Present
49/49B/49C - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - MetroCentre - Dunston - Gateshead
64/64A - Gateshead - Teams - Dunston
67 - MetroCentre - Bensham - Deckham - Q.E. Hospital - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley
69 - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - Whickham - Lobley Hill - Bensham - Low Fell - Q.E. Hospital - Felling Square - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley

Proposed Services Changes

49- Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - MetroCentre - Bensham - Gateshead - Deckham - Q.E. Hospital - Felling Square - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley

49A - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - Whickham - Lobley Hill - Bensham - Gateshead - Q.E. Hospital - Wrekenton - Springwell Village - Leam Lane Estate - Felling Square - Wardley

49B - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - MetroCentre - Dunston - Teams - Gateshead

Replaces Current 49's along with 64/64A/67 and the 69

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 09 Nov 2014

Monday to Saturday daytime:
- 9 every 60 minutes from Ashington to Sunderland via 19 route to Percy Main then 9 route to Sunderland.
- 9A every 60 minutes from Blyth to Sunderland via Newsham, High Pit then same route as 9 to Sunderland.
- 9B basically the same route and frequency as the current 9.
- 919 withdrawn and Crusader re-timed to meet the 9 / 9a in Jarrow during peak times.
- 19 every 30 minutes to from North Shields to Four Lane Ends via current 19 route to Northumberland Park then via Forest Hall, West Moor, Quroum, BT and West Farm Avenue.

Evenings and Sundays:
- 9 every hour between Northumberland Park and Sunderland.
- 9B every hour between North Shields and Sunderland.
- 19 the same as now.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 09 Nov 2014

I like the idea of that Davey, is that actually a rehash of the old 310 that went from Sunderland...

Few questions

1. Would the demand be there for it, Sunderland-Ashington would take a while, it currently takes close to an hour to North Shields, certainly an extension to Silverlink, Cobalt and Northumberland Park, I am not wholly convinced about extending to Ashingtom

2. Would vehicles need tacographs fitted for that, would it come under EU Driving regs

3. With QCS a big possibility now, will GNE be seriously looking at new routes in the QCS area

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Kuyoyo - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm)marxistafozzski wrote I like the idea of that Davey, is that actually a rehash of the old 310 that went from Sunderland...

Few questions

1. Would the demand be there for it, Sunderland-Ashington would take a while, it currently takes close to an hour to North Shields, certainly an extension to Silverlink, Cobalt and Northumberland Park, I am not wholly convinced about extending to Ashingtom

2. Would vehicles need tacographs fitted for that, would it come under EU Driving regs

3. With QCS a big possibility now, will GNE be seriously looking at new routes in the QCS area

It would certainly require tachograph-fitted buses unless it was to operate as a split service.

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm)Kuyoyo wrote It would certainly require tachograph-fitted buses unless it was to operate as a split service.
Thought it would...

What exactly is the regs regarding tachos, is it based on mileage or how long the service is scheduled to take???

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Thought it would...

What exactly is the regs regarding tachos, is it based on mileage or how long the service is scheduled to take???

Domestic rules can't be used on anything exceeding 50km, which is where EU rules come in.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - tyresmoke - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Thought it would...

Yes it's based on mileage, 50km (roughly 32 miles) is the limit... Hence many services being split in two (or more) parts.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 09 Nov 2014

Or, it could operate as service 919 between Ashington and Cramlington then as service 9 from Cramlington.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 09 Nov 2014

(03 Nov 2014, 12:05 am)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Services as they Stand at Present
67 - MetroCentre - Bensham - Deckham - Q.E. Hospital - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley
69 - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - Whickham - Lobley Hill - Bensham - Low Fell - Q.E. Hospital - Felling Square - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley

49- Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - MetroCentre - Bensham - Gateshead - Deckham - Q.E. Hospital - Felling Square - Leam Lane Estate - Wardley

49A - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - Whickham - Lobley Hill - Bensham - Gateshead - Q.E. Hospital - Wrekenton - Springwell Village - Leam Lane Estate - Felling Square - Wardley

I think them changes would work, would each service still run every 20 mins during the week?

Would the PVR change?

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm)Michael wrote I think them changes would work, would each service still run every 20 mins during the week?

Would the PVR change?
They would operate Every 30 Minutes/ Every 10 Combined and the PVR would certainly Increase by a couple of Vehicles.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 09 Nov 2014

The frequency between Winlaton and Metrocentre on services 49/49B is currently six buses per hour.

With your suggestion, the level of service would be reduced to just four buses per hour.

I think there'd be cause for some complaint.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm)AdamY wrote The frequency between Winlaton and Metrocentre on services 49/49B is currently six buses per hour.

With your suggestion, the level of service would be reduced to just four buses per hour.

I'd argue that four buses per hour would be more than enough anyway, to be fair. I'm often the only passenger on the bus when travelling between Winlaton and Blaydon (although this, bizarrely, does seem to be more prevalent when travelling in the direction of Gateshead). I'm one of many who change buses at Blaydon to use the 10 instead of staying on the 49, too, but we've done the debate on direct services versus changing buses in the past before.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 09 Nov 2014

(09 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm)Dan wrote I'd argue that four buses per hour would be more than enough anyway, to be fair. I'm often the only passenger on the bus when travelling between Winlaton and Blaydon (although this, bizarrely, does seem to be more prevalent when travelling in the direction of Gateshead). I'm one of many who change buses at Blaydon to use the 10 instead of staying on the 49, too, but we've done the debate on direct services versus changing buses in the past before.

To be honest, I don't know what patronage is like on services between Winlaton and Metrocentre (or Blaydon and Winlaton) these days.

I grew up in Winlaton. When minibuses were the norm back in the 90's they were usually well-used to the point of being standing-room only on Saturday services. The last time I got the bus to Winlaton was on Wednesday, 10th September (My car was getting MOT'd which is why I know the date)  and it was around half full at approx 13:30. I don't know whether this is usual for this service.

Including the 31, buses per hour between Winlaton and Metrocentre would still stand at six which is around the same level of service as seen in the late 90's (M1 x 2, M4, M5, M7 and M9).

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 09 Nov 2014

(03 Nov 2014, 12:05 am)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Services as they Stand at Present

(09 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm)AdamY wrote The frequency between Winlaton and Metrocentre on services 49/49B is currently six buses per hour.

Looking back over the above I think I have been quite clever in taking 10 Buses Per Hour and reducing them down to just 6, and on top of Reducing the amount of Buses Per Hour at Winlaton/Blaydon by only 1, I made a slight mistake in my Previous Post as the 49/49A would be Hourly and 49B would be Every 15 Minutes, Therefore maintaining the 6 Buses Per Hour already provided by the Blaydon Racers Network.

On top of that you have the Improved Links that I have Provided, such as the Extension of the 64/64A(49B) from Teams via MetroCentre and Blaydon to Winlaton, Then you have New Direct Links with the 49A from Springwell Village/Leam Lane Estate and Wrekenton to Blaydon/Winlaton.

Furthermore I have reduced the combined PVR from 16 to 12, Therefore freeing up 4 Vehicles to be Cascaded elsewhere within the Fleet to then aid the Withdrawal of Older Vehicles within the Fleet, and I have also saved Go North East money on Fuel for 4 Vehicles per Day, thus making this Service Suggestion a "Green" one at that.

Go North East Service Suggestions - R852 PRG - 09 Nov 2014

I'll be honest, I think on Saturdays you could argue that the 49s all get a decent use from teenagers going to the MetroCentre. Fair enough, you could argue half of the X66's passengers are the same, but personally, unless I'm in a rush to get another bus at the other end, I try and get one of the 49s.

Last time I was on one was back in the summer holidays, and I recall there must have been about 30 people on board. To give you an idea, I'd say 10-15 were O-APs, and the other 15 were made up of a small amount of chavs and students, and the rest teenagers. The journey was from the MetroCentre to Gateshead.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Washingtonian - 18 Nov 2014

New Birtley Services 23A and 23C to replace current service 23.

23A - Birtley - Barley Mow, Dorset Avenue - Rickleton - Harraton - Washington Galleries - Albany - Concord - Donwell Bus Link- Springwell Primary School - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton (Farmfoods - not main bus link) - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley
23C - opposite of 23A

Blackfell Knoulberry could be served by 85 or 86, with the other service continuing to serve Thirlmoor. Oxford, London and St Andrews Avenues, Heugh Hill and Uplands Way, Windsor Road, Shelley Avenue and Albion Terrace and Wrekenton Bus Link would no longer be served. The bus stops from the new proposed route would be within short walking distance of these streets anyway.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 18 Nov 2014

(18 Nov 2014, 9:43 pm)Washingtonian wrote New Birtley Services 23A and 23C to replace current service 23.

23A - Birtley - Barley Mow, Dorset Avenue - Rickleton - Harraton - Washington Galleries - Albany - Concord - Donwell Bus Link- Springwell Primary School - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton (Farmfoods - not main bus link) - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley
23C - opposite of 23A

Blackfell Knoulberry could be served by 85 or 86, with the other service continuing to serve Thirlmoor. Oxford, London and St Andrews Avenues, Heugh Hill and Uplands Way, Windsor Road, Shelley Avenue and Albion Terrace and Wrekenton Bus Link would no longer be served. The bus stops from the new proposed route would be within short walking distance of these streets anyway.

Think its best for the 23 to continue serving Wrekenton Bus Link. Nexus moved it due to complaints

How often would you run this out of interest? You've axed the short runs between Barley Mow and Birtley Elisabethville which probably makes financial sense.

Do like this idea but its fairly clear the 23 is run out of a public service need than a commercial sense too

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Washingtonian - 18 Nov 2014

(18 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm)gtom wrote Think its best for the 23 to continue serving Wrekenton Bus Link.  Nexus moved it due to complaints

How often would you run this out of interest? You've axed the short runs between Barley Mow and Birtley Elisabethville which probably makes financial sense.

Do like this idea but its fairly clear the 23 is run out of a public service need than a commercial sense too

Thanks for that. Never realised that people were complaining about Wrekenton bus link not being served initially. Yeah it shouldn't be a problem for the proposed 23A/C to still serve Wrekenton. I mainly suggested to omit it as there are loads of buses that currently serve it and it was just a short walk away from the shops anyway. Plus it would have cut out waiting at the lights and made the service a little more direct.

The plan was to initially run both 23A/C hourly and if it proved popular to increase to every 30 mins. It may prove to be popular when the new Morrisions opens.