North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1250)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Go North East - Latest - CatsFast101 - 07 Dec 2013

To be honest I don't see what's wrong with the current north Sunderland service 36/36A seem to run okay and with decent loading, don't see why changes were really needed. But north Sunderland is becoming a GNE joke.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 12:35 am)CatsFast101 wrote To be honest I don't see what's wrong with the current north Sunderland service 36/36A seem to run okay and with decent loading, don't see why changes were really needed. But north Sunderland is becoming a GNE joke.

Whatever the reasoning is behind their decisions, the powers that be at GNE towers are obviously not happy - hence the almost twice annual changes for the last however many years.

Judging by the comments on the fb page, passengers on the Enterprise Park aren't happy with the services either.

To echo what I said when the previous North Sunderland consultation came out, the services skirt the edges of the North Sunderland estates and duplicate other GNE services in the area.

There is a map somewhere on here (with the rest of the consultation) and you can see where the routes go.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adam - 07 Dec 2013

6029 has had its destination blind updated so it now has the number X1 in the same style as the Geminis, but in normal orange instead of blue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 07 Dec 2013

All artic Mercs (except 5341) have now been de-branded, with 5347 having recently returned from Thornton's after a good ol' scrub.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm)Adam wrote 6029 has had its destination blind updated so it now has the number X1 in the same style as the Geminis, but in normal orange instead of blue

3943 has also

Driving through Houghton earlier this afternoon and the eldest spotted the new stylised x1 for the first time.

One question I couldn't answer was why it had changed.

Anyone any ideas?

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 5:36 pm)andreos1 wrote Driving through Houghton earlier this afternoon and the eldest spotted the new stylised x1 for the first time.

Anyone any ideas?

Yes Tongue

(07 Dec 2013, 5:36 pm)andreos1 wrote Driving through Houghton earlier this afternoon and the eldest spotted the new stylised x1 for the first time.

Anyone any ideas?

citaro5284 said a few weeks ago that GNE were trying some new things with the blinds...
Guess they're seeing what mixture helps passengers see the number easily (perhaps in the dark) from a distance?

In other news, ex-GNE 4983 has arrived at Alpha for scrap, after being withdrawn following an accident at Lamesley prior to the Solars entering service on Waggonway services 28/28A. What remains of 4983 can be viewed on the photograph below, with credit to Lee Wardle for the photograph:
[Image: 1450762_664077420279736_1355994149_n.jpg]

(07 Dec 2013, 5:42 pm)Dan wrote citaro5284 said a few weeks ago that GNE were trying some new things with the blinds...
Guess they're seeing what mixture helps passengers see the number easily (perhaps in the dark) from a distance?

In other news, ex-GNE 4983 has arrived at Alpha for scrap, after being withdrawn following an accident at Lamesley prior to the Solars entering service on Waggonway services 28/28A. What remains of 4983 can be viewed on the photograph below, with credit to Lee Wardle for the photograph:
[Image: 1450762_664077420279736_1355994149_n.jpg]

Cheers.

Is that gtomlinson sneaking around behind that DAF? :p

I put the new "Venture" Solo SRs to test earlier today, on their biggest challenge... "Venture" service 689 between Hexham and Consett.

I had 647 all to myself for the full journey (excluding the old woman who got on for about 5 minutes, and alighted near Consett after boarding near Shotley Bridge somewhere).
The SR coped well on the service, and it was great to be able to ride on a bus which can actually get up to 55mph, rather unlike MPD 518 that I had last Saturday which only managed about 30! It's fair to say this was demonstrated in the timings too, for it was early all of the way! Tongue

I had a ride of a few others on locals too. They're very warm, steady buses which, for light weight vehicles, are very solidly built. I was very impressed (as were most other passengers), but I believe a few drivers weren't as keen - but perhaps that's because they underestimated how far ahead they are of the wheels and they never knew quite when to stop at Consett Bus Station!

Cannot praise these vehicles highly enough, and I think this was a very good purchase by Go North East. I hope other MPD routes in the future can justify such investment.

My photograph of 647, which features a slight autumnal background, is the first (I believe) to have been pictured in Hexham. You can view the photograph by clicking the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/11256764543/

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 8:42 pm)Dan wrote I put the new "Venture" Solo SRs to test earlier today, on their biggest challenge... "Venture" service 689 between Hexham and Consett.

I had 647 all to myself for the full journey (excluding the old woman who got on for about 5 minutes, and alighted near Consett after boarding near Shotley Bridge somewhere).
The SR coped well on the service, and it was great to be able to ride on a bus which can actually get up to 55mph, rather unlike MPD 518 that I had last Saturday which only managed about 30! It's fair to say this was demonstrated in the timings too, for it was early all of the way! Tongue

I had a ride of a few others on locals too. They're very warm, steady buses which, for light weight vehicles, are very solidly built. I was very impressed (as were most other passengers), but I believe a few drivers weren't as keen - but perhaps that's because they underestimated how far ahead they are of the wheels and they never knew quite when to stop at Consett Bus Station!

Cannot praise these vehicles highly enough, and I think this was a very good purchase by Go North East. I hope other MPD routes in the future can justify such investment.

My photograph of 647, which features a slight autumnal background, is the first (I believe) to have been pictured in Hexham. You can view the photograph by clicking the link below:

I'm a bit disappointed they've gone for Mercedes engines though! Just sound rough as hell when idling (much like Varios...!) but they should be reliable at least. I'm hoping this is what Darlington will get in the future with Arriva, I'm starting to favour the SR design, which of course is now standard!

RE: Go North East - Latest - mattdw92 - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 8:46 pm)tyresmoke wrote I'm a bit disappointed they've gone for Mercedes engines though! Just sound rough as hell when idling (much like Varios...!) but they should be reliable at least. I'm hoping this is what Darlington will get in the future with Arriva, I'm starting to favour the SR design, which of course is now standard!

I agree Scott, even though they are new and sound smooth when moving, they do sound like a bag of spanners idling! Sound just like a ten year old one, don't know if that's good or bad thing...! Cummins/Voith driveline would have been interesting for GNE to invest in.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm)mattdw92 wrote I agree Scott, even though they are new and sound smooth when moving, they do sound like a bag of spanners idling! Sound just like a ten year old one, don't know if that's good or bad thing...! Cummins/Voith driveline would have been interesting for GNE to invest in.

Can you get a Solo with Voith transmission, I thought you could only get Allison.

http://www.optare.com/images/brochures/Solo%20Spec.pdf

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 6:04 pm)andreos1 wrote Cheers.

Is that gtomlinson sneaking around behind that DAF? :p

No....I was the guy who paid the car driver to have it written off

RE: Go North East - Latest - mattdw92 - 07 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 9:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote Can you get a Solo with Voith transmission, I thought you could only get Allison.

http://www.optare.com/images/brochures/Solo%20Spec.pdf

Under a specific request from Stagecoach, their latest Solo orders were Cummins ISBe twinned with a four-speed Voith. I'm sure Optare would do meet the demands of others. Much powerful too, practically same output as a Cummins E300...!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 08 Dec 2013

Has GNE got any plans to build a 3rd super depot once the one at the Riverside (metrocentre) is open, which should be a in a couple of months time?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm)Michael wrote Has GNE got any plans to build a 3rd super depot once the one at the Riverside (metrocentre) is open, which should be a in a couple of months time?

There were plans a few years back to consolidate Chester and Stanley at Drum Ind Est.
The building which was supposed to be the depot is still sitting empty.

(08 Dec 2013, 12:42 pm)andreos1 wrote There were plans a few years back to consolidate Chester and Stanley at Drum Ind Est.

Cheer's it might be a good idea to merge both of them and have it based somewhere in the middle. =)

Wonder if that will ever go ahead

Does anyone know if the the FAB 56 decker's will enter service before Christmas?

RE: Go North East - Latest - cbma06 - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 12:42 pm)andreos1 wrote There were plans a few years back to consolidate Chester and Stanley at Drum Ind Est.

I thought that the site that GNE wanting at Drum Ind Est was snapped up by a car sales company, the car sales company must of went bust or something.

RE: Go North East - Latest - northern156 - 08 Dec 2013

(07 Dec 2013, 8:42 pm)Dan wrote I put the new "Venture" Solo SRs to test earlier today, on their biggest challenge... "Venture" service 689 between Hexham and Consett.

Great pic Dan - I passed one of the new Solos and I saw someone pointing their camera at a few buses when I went past on Arriva Pulsar 1481 to Newcastle!

(08 Dec 2013, 1:00 pm)cbma06 wrote I thought that the site that GNE wanting at Drum Ind Est was snapped up by a car sales company, the car sales company must of went bust or something.

Had never heard that one before.

There isn't a car sales company anywhere on Drum and the only decent sized space which was left, was between the Coop and Batleys, where a huge green 'warehouse type building' was built 4 or 5 years back.

RE: Go North East - Latest - nk55 - 08 Dec 2013

I believe they wanted the site which is now carcraft at barley mow, but it fell through before.

RE: Go North East - Latest - cbma06 - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm)nk55 wrote I believe they wanted the site which is now carcraft at barley mow, but it fell through before.

Yes carcraft is the one I was thinking of. I knew it had to do something with cars.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 1:51 pm)andreos1 wrote Had never heard that one before.

There isn't a car sales company anywhere on Drum and the only decent sized space which was left, was between the Coop and Batleys, where a huge green 'warehouse type building' was built 4 or 5 years back.

That's the version I had as well (Drum Industrial Estate) I remember an Openline chat with the same story as well and a few of the guys on the Yahoo! Groups also stated that too.

Carcraft isn't Drum Industrial Estate either and it's not in Barley Mow either!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 08 Dec 2013

Awaiting 1600 X71 Consett to Newcastle. Bus 4905 displaying X71 Newcastle pulls in on time at 1555, but parks at top stand for incoming passengers to alight. Driver seems to disappear in an OmniCity. No-one appears til 1613, then driver gets on, phaffs about then backs out and looks as if he's going to drive away without pulling onto correct stand until passengers, luckily standing outside, wave, then departs 1617. In the meantime have rung GNE Customer services to see if bus is running, only to speak to someone in Aberdeen!!! who knows nothing. The 17 min late departure means the person I drove to Consett for the bus will now be an hour late home due to missed connection. What a wonderful service both from this driver and the Customer Services.

(08 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm)gtomlinson wrote That's the version I had as well (Drum Industrial Estate) I remember an Openline chat with the same story as well and a few of the guys on the Yahoo! Groups also stated that too.

Carcraft isn't Drum Industrial Estate either and it's not in Barley Mow either!

Carcraft was there before the rumours about Drum started.

Can't imagine the road system around Carcraft being suited to buses driving in and out, off York Road either.

Maybe both stories are true, who knows!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Dec 2013

The first silver B9 destined for "Cobalt Clipper" has arrived at Heysham Docks. A photo can be seen below:
[Image: Go%20Ahead%20North%20East%20NL63YJG%2013...sham-M.jpg]
http://malsfotofile.smugmug.com/HeyshamDocks/Go-Ahead-Group/28032236_NQMmvn#!i=2955535710&k=ST7756f

(08 Dec 2013, 5:05 pm)Dan wrote The first silver B9 destined for "Cobalt Clipper" has arrived at Heysham Docks. A photo can be seen below:
[Image: Go%20Ahead%20North%20East%20NL63YJG%2013...sham-M.jpg]
http://malsfotofile.smugmug.com/HeyshamDocks/Go-Ahead-Group/28032236_NQMmvn#!i=2955535710&k=ST7756f

Thanks for sharing =)

Has anymore B9's arrived in the last few days?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 4:33 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Awaiting 1600 X71 Consett to Newcastle. Bus 4905 displaying X71 Newcastle pulls in on time at 1555, but parks at top stand for incoming passengers to alight. Driver seems to disappear in an OmniCity. No-one appears til 1613, then driver gets on, phaffs about then backs out and looks as if he's going to drive away without pulling onto correct stand until passengers, luckily standing outside, wave, then departs 1617. In the meantime have rung GNE Customer services to see if bus is running, only to speak to someone in Aberdeen!!! who knows nothing. The 17 min late departure means the person I drove to Consett for the bus will now be an hour late home due to missed connection. What a wonderful service both from this driver and the Customer Services.

And no, he didn't make any attempt to make up time, still 15+ late at Gateshead.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Dec 2013

(08 Dec 2013, 5:11 pm)Michael wrote Thanks for sharing =)

Has anymore B9's arrived in the last few days?

At Saltmeadows presently:

Fab56: 6/15
Deptford spares: 0/2
Cobalt Clipper: 0/15
Percy Main spares: 0/2