North East Buses
Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot (/showthread.php?tid=3964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - gc802002 - 21 Jun 2022

Does the Staff briefing not state which routes move where? (Assuming now changes are public less issues with disclosure?)

Really hope GNE keep the 28/29 and 25 Between CLS and Langley Park.

Will the driver facility on Front Street be closing too?

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm)peter wrote The CLS to Langley Park would be part of the 25 which is of course confirmed to be running between NCL and CLS. 

The 8 makes most sense at Washington tbh as most journeys begin from Chester. The 34 would also be Washington. The 21 at Riverside, I wonder if some of the early morning journeys towards Newcastle will be withdrawn. The 71 obviously Deptford. The 25, 28 and 29 you would think would have to be Riverside, an hourly 25 would have a PVR of 3, (2 if they don't win the Langley Park contract) which could possibly fit at Washington too, the 28/29 could go Consett as well I guess. 

I actually think the X21 would make most sense at Consett or Washington as it would be roughly 30 minutes to Bishop which is about the same as it is from Chester
Yeah the dead runs will be bad, but I was thinking it could join the X10 rota at Gateshead, and it would be easier for changeovers and im not sure Washington has that much space for another 8-10 deckers.

Most of their buses are on the street to start with

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - peter - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 5:21 pm)Unber43 wrote Yeah the dead runs will be bad, but I was thinking it could join the X10 rota at Gateshead, and it would be easier for changeovers and im not sure Washington has that much space for another 8-10 deckers.

Most of their buses are on the street to start with

Yeah Washington would probs be full. Tbf Consett does also have the B5LH's, not sure if they're similar to the B5TL's but it may make sense from an engineering perspective as well.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm)peter wrote The CLS to Langley Park would be part of the 25 which is of course confirmed to be running between NCL and CLS. 

The 8 makes most sense at Washington tbh as most journeys begin from Chester. The 34 would also be Washington. The 21 at Riverside, I wonder if some of the early morning journeys towards Newcastle will be withdrawn. The 71 obviously Deptford. The 25, 28 and 29 you would think would have to be Riverside, an hourly 25 would have a PVR of 3, (2 if they don't win the Langley Park contract) which could possibly fit at Washington too, the 28/29 could go Consett as well I guess. 

I actually think the X21 would make most sense at Consett or Washington as it would be roughly 30 minutes to Bishop which is about the same as it is from Chester
I wonder if the X21 could be jointly operated by Consett and Riverside, with Consett running the earlies from West Auckland, and Riverside from Newcastle

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Chris 1 - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 5:01 pm)gc802002 wrote Does the Staff briefing not state which routes move where? (Assuming now changes are public less issues with disclosure?)

Really hope GNE keep the 28/29 and 25 Between CLS and Langley Park.

Will the driver facility on Front Street be closing too?

Can’t imagine there being much need for the driver facility if changeovers won’t be taking place there any more.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Jimmi - 21 Jun 2022

Riverside probably still makes the most sense for the X21, it's only roughly an extra 10 miles and around 10 minutes to run light to/from Riverside than it is from CLS depot and be easier to facilitate driver changeovers most likely at Gateshead Interchange with X66 being used as transport whereas Washington & Consett would require staff vans to get somewhere on the route for changeovers, most likely CLS as its about the closest location along the route for changeovers which would likely equate to more dead milage and more driving hours.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm)Jimmi wrote Riverside probably still makes the most sense for the X21, it's only roughly an extra 10 miles and around 10 minutes to run light to/from Riverside than it is from CLS depot and be easier to facilitate driver changeovers most likely at Gateshead Interchange with X66 being used as transport whereas Washington & Consett would require staff vans to get somewhere on the route for changeovers, most likely CLS as its about the closest location along the route for changeovers which would likely equate to more dead milage and more driving hours.
An extra 10 miles is pretty much an extra 50%, which means costs for running the early services go up quite a bit (25% if my maths is right), probably to the point where there 'won't be enough passengers to cover the running costs'

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - ASX_Terranova - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm)streetdeckfan wrote An extra 10 miles is pretty much an extra 50%, which means costs for running the early services go up quite a bit (25% if my maths is right), probably to the point where there 'won't be enough passengers to cover the running costs'

Are there boards that start in Bishop or West Auckland. If there are, consett makes more sense being close to the A68.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Jimmi - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 7:27 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Are there boards that start in Bishop or West Auckland. If there are, consett makes more sense being close to the A68.
Currently on weekday mornings:

5 start at Bishop Auckland Bus Station
2 start at West Auckland
2 start at Chester-le-Street (heading south)

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Storx - 21 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm)Jimmi wrote Riverside probably still makes the most sense for the X21, it's only roughly an extra 10 miles and around 10 minutes to run light to/from Riverside than it is from CLS depot and be easier to facilitate driver changeovers most likely at Gateshead Interchange with X66 being used as transport whereas Washington & Consett would require staff vans to get somewhere on the route for changeovers, most likely CLS as its about the closest location along the route for changeovers which would likely equate to more dead milage and more driving hours.

Not to mention I'm not sure people in Bishop will appreciate not having a bus in the winter when it's sunny there because there's 3FT in Consett.

(21 Jun 2022, 7:27 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Are there boards that start in Bishop or West Auckland. If there are, consett makes more sense being close to the A68.

The A68 is a lethal road in the winter, it's definitely not a route which buses should be going along in the dark when there's snow around especially around Tow Law especially at the times they'd need to do it for the early boards.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 22 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm)Storx wrote Not to mention I'm not sure people in Bishop will appreciate not having a bus in the winter when it's sunny there because there's 3FT in Consett.

The A68 is a lethal road in the winter, it's definitely not a route which buses should be going along in the dark when there's snow around especially around Tow Law especially at the times they'd need to do it for the early boards.
I wonder about Consett to Hexham if a bus breaks down, up the A68

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 22 Jun 2022

(21 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm)Storx wrote Not to mention I'm not sure people in Bishop will appreciate not having a bus in the winter when it's sunny there because there's 3FT in Consett.

The A68 really isn't as bad as people make out!

We used to travel up and down multiple times a day, and even with the snow it was rarely impassable.
What you have to remember is it's quite an important route for lorries so it's usually cleared pretty quickly.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Storx - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 3:24 pm)Unber43 wrote I wonder about Consett to Hexham if a bus breaks down, up the A68

It's not as bad that side it's the Tow Law area which can be a bit dodgy at times.

(22 Jun 2022, 3:35 pm)streetdeckfan wrote The A68 really isn't as bad as people make out!

We used to travel up and down multiple times a day, and even with the snow it was rarely impassable.
What you have to remember is it's quite an important route for lorries so it's usually cleared pretty quickly.

During the day it's alright but not sure I'd want to be travelling along there at 5am in the morning which is when the first boards would be. Won't be many lorries travelling around at that time in the morning or anyone really. Not to mention ice about, not sure I'd want to be driving a double decker along there personally.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - streetdeckfan - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 7:30 pm)Storx wrote It's not as bad that side it's the Tow Law area which can be a bit dodgy at times.

During the day it's alright but not sure I'd want to be travelling along there at 5am in the morning which is when the first boards would be. Won't be many lorries travelling around at that time in the morning or anyone really. Not to mention ice about, not sure I'd want to be driving a double decker along there personally.

Not sure about 5am in particular, but you'd be surprised how busy it is on a night. Once it gets past 11pm-ish, it's mostly lorries that we pass.

As for ice, I don't actually recall that ever being a problem, it's usually pretty well gritted. 

The only part that would seem a bit iffy to me is the relatively sharp bend on a relatively steep hill just before (or after if you're coming south) Rowley/Castleside

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - DeltaMan - 22 Jun 2022

To be fair, OK Travel used to run the 684 from Bishop to Ovington In service on the A68 instead of dead trips. Imagine the scenes if GNE did in service trips from Consett to Bishop the same way

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Unber43 - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 9:21 pm)DeltaMan wrote To be fair, OK Travel used to run the 684 from Bishop to Ovington In service on the A68 instead of dead trips. Imagine the scenes if GNE did in service trips from Consett to Bishop the same way
Tbh they could do a loop, increaing the X21 between Bishop & Durham to every 15 mins, and the X5/X15 could do a loop form with the X5/X5A & X15 & X15A

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Andreos1 - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 9:21 pm)DeltaMan wrote To be fair, OK Travel used to run the 684 from Bishop to Ovington In service on the A68 instead of dead trips. Imagine the scenes if GNE did in service trips from Consett to Bishop the same way
Howay man, that's too inventive and creative that. Fancy running something commercial and looking to make money to save on dead mileage...

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Dan - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 9:40 pm)Andreos1 wrote Howay man, that's too inventive and creative that. Fancy running something commercial and looking to make money to save on dead mileage...

Oh, Andreos! I’ve been incredibly worried about you, as you’ve been very quiet this week. Perhaps my main concern is actually that I’ve been short of bingo opportunities.

u ok hun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Andreos1 - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 10:33 pm)Dan wrote Oh, Andreos! I’ve been incredibly worried about you, as you’ve been very quiet this week. Perhaps my main concern is actually that I’ve been short of bingo opportunities.

u ok hun?

DM me babe.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Drifter60 - 22 Jun 2022

One thing I’ve only just thought of is where will the 204 route go to? It’s very out of the way for GNE now nearest depot will be Consett or Washington? Neither particular close.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - peter - 22 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm)Drifter60 wrote One thing I’ve only just thought of is where will the 204 route go to? It’s very out of the way for GNE now nearest depot will be Consett or Washington? Neither particular close.

I believe Deptford has been suggested. The first bus starts from Sherburn which is only 20 minutes from Deptford so not that far out of the way really and no different than the rest of the Peterlee Purples which run light from Deptford to Peterlee.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - busmanT - 23 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 11:06 pm)peter wrote I believe Deptford has been suggested. The first bus starts from Sherburn which is only 20 minutes from Deptford so not that far out of the way really and no different than the rest of the Peterlee Purples which run light from Deptford to Peterlee.
Consett with the Cathedral Bus and 42D?

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - NL62WVW - 23 Jun 2022

204 & 71 to Deptford

Word is that the X21 moves 24th July, not sure who's going to drive them as nearly everyone that's spoke about it aren't going to transfer till September.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Dan - 23 Jun 2022

(23 Jun 2022, 10:55 am)NL62WVW wrote 204 & 71 to Deptford

Word is that the X21 moves 24th July, not sure who's going to drive them as nearly everyone that's spoke about it aren't going to transfer till September.

The X21 does not move to Riverside from 24 July.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - NL62WVW - 23 Jun 2022

(23 Jun 2022, 11:17 am)Dan wrote The X21 does not move to Riverside from 24 July.

That's fair enough, I only go off what other drivers have been told

We were told that it's going before the depot closes, can you confirm that?

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - gc802002 - 23 Jun 2022

Does the depot remain operational until September?

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Dan - 23 Jun 2022

(23 Jun 2022, 11:23 am)NL62WVW wrote That's fair enough, I only go off what other drivers have been told

We were told that it's going before the depot closes, can you confirm that?

No, the X21 will remain at Chester-le-Street until it closes.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Rapidsnap - 23 Jun 2022

Speaking of vehicle positioning routes. The X81 (Hexham to Alston) and X122 (Hexham to Haltwhistle) are ending in the July service changes.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - xpm - 26 Jun 2022

(23 Jun 2022, 1:43 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Speaking of vehicle positioning routes. The X81 (Hexham to Alston) and X122 (Hexham to Haltwhistle) are ending in the July service changes.
Maybe they’ll have an earlier 681 from halty to Alston, else it’s a hell of a lot of dead Mileage.  X122 won’t be an issue as iirc they are changing it to a two hourly service year round - so only pvr of 1 and not 2.

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot - Adrian - 26 Jun 2022

(22 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm)Drifter60 wrote One thing I’ve only just thought of is where will the 204 route go to? It’s very out of the way for GNE now nearest depot will be Consett or Washington? Neither particular close.

Probably equal distance from Deptford or Washington, and it's just one bus all day, isn't it? So the light mileage is going to be minimal and certainly not much different to the early 4s starting at Houghton.