North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1261)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 17 Nov 2014

(17 Nov 2014, 8:31 am)NEBCD Malarkey wrote The Machine is just spitting out loads of Tickets everytime he issues one, should be in PL now but im only at Pennywell as a Result of this issue.

I'm on the 2A and it should of being at the gals 10 minutes ago... 

4's are running in two's

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 17 Nov 2014

640 has the horrible Christmas Advert which 629 has, meaning 628/630 will more than likely gain this Advert also, Like Aureolin I had zero luck in Photographing 629/640, Photos came out blurry every time.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/sunderland-consultation

I can't make it, at uni... wonder what they're planning.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 17 Nov 2014

Carnage around the Tyne Bridge and throughout Newcastle this morning, all thanks to Gateshead Council having the excellent planning sense of starting/continuing major roadworks on the Tyne Bridge and Oakwellgate for yet another pointless Gateshead Zil Lane.

(17 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm)Michael wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/sunderland-consultation

I can't make it, at uni... wonder what they're planning.

Sounds Interesting, Bit odd that they would do a Consultation in Park Lane as I doubt many people would stop and talk to them, might pop along myself and give them some my "Malarkey Marathons", although I will more than likely be in Sunderland anyway.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 17 Nov 2014

(17 Nov 2014, 2:05 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Sounds Interesting, Bit odd that they would do a Consultation in Park Lane as I doubt many people would stop and talk to them, might pop along myself and give them some my "Malarkey Marathons", although I will more than likely be in Sunderland anyway.
If you're in the middle of two stands whose services are going to be affected, does it not make sense? Appeal to a larger audience than they would have if they'd chosen to put questionnaires on buses - hoping they'd be returned..?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 17 Nov 2014

A number of "Northern" branded vehicles in the fleet have undergone repaint into Go North East's corporate livery recently. This sees the removal of the "Northern" name from more vehicles in the fleet, and in some cases, ups the book value of these vehicles ahead of their planned disposal in the near future. Former London Central PVL31, numbered 6031 (V331 LGC) in Go North East's fleet at Percy Main Depot, became the first Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President to lose its "Northern" branding, having been repainted into Go North East's corporate livery. This vehicle returned to Percy Main this afternoon, with Chester-le-Street's Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6018 (V218 LGC) taking its place at Saltmeadows.

(17 Nov 2014, 8:18 am)Dan wrote That'll be the driver getting a telling off if it's reported!

Emergency tickets should have been issued, and if the driver didn't have any, he should have been asking for some at the start of his shift...

I asked for an Emergency Ticket when I got off, and with an arsey attitude the Driver said, I could of gave you one when you got on at Lambton but I didnt as I dont have to, plus it would of made me Late, anyway he had been fiddling with the Machine en-route to Sunderland and had asked Control how to fix the Machine, turns out the Machine was printing the Tickets with just the Cost on, in my case £4.50 and the rest was Blank, He then printed the Ticket I had Requested and I reluctantly paid him the £4.50 and got off, Question now is should Email Customer Services.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 17 Nov 2014

(17 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I asked for an Emergency Ticket when I got off, and with an arsey attitude the Driver said, I could of gave you one when you got on at Lambton but I didnt as I dont have to, plus it would of made me Late, anyway he had been fiddling with the Machine en-route to Sunderland and had asked Control how to fix the Machine, turns out the Machine was printing the Tickets with just the Cost on, in my case £4.50 and the rest was Blank, He then printed the Ticket I had Requested and I reluctantly paid him the £4.50 and got off, Question now is should Email Customer Services.
Yes - doesn't even sound like a training issue, but more of a "can't be arsed" issue. If 6x people wanted the same fare as you, then there's almost 30 quid they've lost out on.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Drifter60 - 17 Nov 2014

(17 Nov 2014, 2:09 pm)Dan wrote If you're in the middle of two stands whose services are going to be affected, does it not make sense? Appeal to a larger audience than they would have if they'd chosen to put questionnaires on buses - hoping they'd be returned..?

I'm not sure, I think it stinks of not really wanting customers views. Usually the questionnaires would be on affected buses for a week or two, where most people who regularly use the bus would of been on at least once if not a few times. This then means everybody who takes an interest can fill in a leaflet. 
Having one person in park lane, one day isn't really the best option in my opinion. 
Mind you, GNE, are doing more than Other operators in relation to service changes. 

(17 Nov 2014, 2:09 pm)Dan wrote If you're in the middle of two stands whose services are going to be affected, does it not make sense? Appeal to a larger audience than they would have if they'd chosen to put questionnaires on buses - hoping they'd be returned..?

Really they should do it in 2 parts of park lane, next to greggs and where Stands A-H,J,K are.

If u go let us know what they planning... looking forward to seen these new links... Silverlink might be one of them...

Do we have any idea what they are planning? Which routes are changing?

(17 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm)Drifter60 wrote Do we have any idea what they are planning? Which routes are changing?

No idea but it says new links so hopefully new services... wonder if any will drop in frequancy?

This also may give a hint if any Sunderland based services are getting new buses this year....

(17 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm)Drifter60 wrote I'm not sure, I think it stinks of not really wanting customers views. Usually the questionnaires would be on affected buses for a week or two, where most people who regularly use the bus would of been on at least once if not a few times. This then means everybody who takes an interest can fill in a leaflet. 
Having one person in park lane, one day isn't really the best option in my opinion. 
Mind you, GNE, are doing more than Other operators in relation to service changes. 

I disagree entirely.
Having staff based in Park Lane where the majority (admittedly not all) of customers travel to and from for eight hours, including during peak times, suggests that the company is wanting to attract more feedback from customers. Whilst the online questionnaires proved to be unsuccessful due to anomalous results being gathered (perhaps from customers who don't necessarily use the services affected by a consultation a great deal), it is possible that not enough feedback was being gathered from customer consultations with printed leaflets that had to be returned to the company by post. It seems a bit time-consuming, in my opinion, for customers to pick up a leaflet on a bus, and for them to fill it out then go to their nearest post box to return it to the company. I know I'd be far more likely to fill in a leaflet if I was waiting for my bus, and I was given the opportunity to fill it out on the spot and return it to an employee face-to-face. If others feel the same way as me, it could be argued that the associated costs with printing out these customer consultation leaflets has proven to be too high for the results being yielded, which is why the company could be making alternative arrangements with regards to collecting data from customers.

The changes being made are as a result of suggestions made to the company by a large number of customers. Whilst some customers may agree with the service changes being proposed, others may not, and it's critical Go North East gets feedback so that they're not making a mistake by altering their services.

(17 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm)Michael wrote Really they should do it in 2 parts of park lane, next to greggs and where Stands A-H,J,K are.

If u go let us know what they planning... looking forward to seen these new links... Silverlink might be one of them...

(17 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm)Drifter60 wrote Do we have any idea what they are planning? Which routes are changing?

I personally think that Go North East employees will be based near Greggs.
I don't think information will be released on the public domain prior to the customer consultation taking place, but a week is not too long to wait. For the benefit of everyone on this forum, I will upload information to the forum next Monday.

(17 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm)Michael wrote No idea but it says new links so hopefully new services... wonder if any will drop in frequancy?

This also may give a hint if any Sunderland based services are getting new buses this year....

'New links' could just suggest that changes will be made to existing services to provide new links, rather than new services being introduced.

Service 29 is of a cross-city nature, similar to Stagecoach's routes in Sunderland, and it has proven to be commercially successful. A lot of passengers take advantage of being able to travel across the city on one bus opposed to connecting at a major hub (Park Lane in this instance), and perhaps the company could be seeking to implement this on other services in Sunderland too?

The Facebook post says that the company has plans to 'match the level of service we provide with the number of passengers travelling', which strongly suggests that the frequency of services will be altered to meet demand. Those services which are under-performing could be reduced in frequency, whilst others could be increased with the resources saved, if there is sufficient demand to justify this.

Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 17 Nov 2014

Service 889 started this morning, and was operated by a red single decker.

As the service only serves the North Lodge site, and I'm at the Church Chare site, I unfortunately didn't get it's fleet number or vehicle type, other than the very vague 'red single decker' from my sister.

Lets hope they still don't have the idea of extending the Prince Bishops to South shields...

Would like to see more "cross city" services although not on lets say the 56 etc....

Would like to see the 9 extended to the Silverlink though.

Which services would u say are likely to be changed in frequancy?.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 17 Nov 2014

(17 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm)Michael wrote Lets hope they still don't have the idea of extending the Prince Bishops to South shields...

Would like to see more "cross city" services although not on lets say the 56 etc....

How can they extend the 9 to Silverlink? Would be going back on it's self. 

(17 Nov 2014, 4:21 pm)Tom wrote How can they extend the 9 to Silverlink? Would be going back on it's self. 

Well i dont really know the area so maybe somewhere during the route?

Wonder if GNE will put the X7 or X35 on a Sunday... even if hourly.

(17 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm)Michael wrote Well i dont really know the area so maybe somewhere during the route?

I don't think it would be possible, as Nexus secure it, and there are easy connections at Percy Main onto the 19.

(17 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm)Dan wrote I disagree entirely.
Having staff based in Park Lane where the majority (admittedly not all) of customers travel to and from for eight hours, including during peak times, suggests that the company is wanting to attract more feedback from customers. Whilst the online questionnaires proved to be unsuccessful due to anomalous results being gathered (perhaps from customers who don't necessarily use the services affected by a consultation a great deal), it is possible that not enough feedback was being gathered from customer consultations with printed leaflets that had to be returned to the company by post. It seems a bit time-consuming, in my opinion, for customers to pick up a leaflet on a bus, and for them to fill it out then go to their nearest post box to return it to the company. I know I'd be far more likely to fill in a leaflet if I was waiting for my bus, and I was given the opportunity to fill it out on the spot and return it to an employee face-to-face. If others feel the same way as me, it could be argued that the associated costs with printing out these customer consultation leaflets has proven to be too high for the results being yielded, which is why the company could be making alternative arrangements with regards to collecting data from customers.

The changes being made are as a result of suggestions made to the company by a large number of customers. Whilst some customers may agree with the service changes being proposed, others may not, and it's critical Go North East gets feedback so that they're not making a mistake by altering their services.
I can agree on somepoints. Keeping costs down is obviously the objective, so can see how printing an abundance of leaflets isn't maybe ideal. Having a person in the bus station collating responses, public reaction, passenger opinions is great to me but I do think that just one day in park lane isn't great either. A few days next week seems more logically. A lot of people affected by early morning or later evening service reductions or route changes may work shifts and might not be around on this particular day. I for one, don't work/study on Monday's so that's my opinion not listened too, unless I go to Park Lane just for this consultation which isn't best use of my time. But if the affected services are 60, 61, X7, 700, 29, 35, X35 then I'm affected considerably. Other could be in similar situations too, but maybe are off work, don't work, don't study or are ill, this one day won't get there views heard. 

(17 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm)Michael wrote Lets hope they still don't have the idea of extending the Prince Bishops to South shields...

The only worry with extending the Prince Bishops services to South Shields would be timekeeping issues due to delays at one end of the route. Despite its cross-city nature, service 29 is still fairly reliable. Living next to the Stadium, I can account for delays at certain times of the day to service 29, but these delays are minimal.

Services 20 and 35 are both rather commercially successful services, though the latter has the edge and carries more passengers. Both services are long overdue investment, but it'd be difficult to justify capital expenditure for these services (especially service 20) as passenger numbers fluctuate and there's a lot of potential to see buses carrying nothing but fresh air during the day. That said, if service changes were made, and growth could be made on both services by combining the two, could this not serve as justification to Go-Ahead to support the investment into newer vehicles in the next financial year?

Short 9's are something in my experience seems to have the lowest numbers out of park lane. I know they interwork with scholars which could be the only save and grace for the service. As otherwise, I can't see them making much if any money off those. 

I'm not sure where the scope is to create any more cross city services, although the idea could work, there's also risks. Match days in Sunderland I'd dread to think of how the 29 copes at Doxford, but as we say on the whole they do seem to be working out. I'm just not sure you could risk any other services things like 20/56/X35/X36 are subject to enough potential delay due to route length and busy city centres. 61/42/38 could extend our of park lane, particularly the latter two not sure where to though! 

(17 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm)Drifter60 wrote Short 9's are something in my experience seems to have the lowest numbers out of park lane. I know they interwork with scholars which could be the only save and grace for the service. As otherwise, I can't see them making much if any money off those. 

I'm not sure where the scope is to create any more cross city services, although the idea could work, there's also risks. Match days in Sunderland I'd dread to think of how the 29 copes at Doxford, but as we say on the whole they do seem to be working out. I'm just not sure you could risk any other services things like 20/56/X35/X36 are subject to enough potential delay due to route length and busy city centres. 61/42/38 could extend our of park lane, particularly the latter two not sure where to though! 

They normally pick quite a few up on Fawcett Street.

(17 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm)Drifter60 wrote Short 9's are something in my experience seems to have the lowest numbers out of park lane. I know they interwork with scholars which could be the only save and grace for the service. As otherwise, I can't see them making much if any money off those. 

I forgot about the short 9's, Wonder the 29 will extend back to Jarrow or even to Heworth during the day or hourly to each place with one still terminating at Boldon.

I'm not sure on the numbers for the 9's or most services tbh.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 17 Nov 2014

I have to agree with Drifter60's points in that holding one session in Park Lane, means the scope for audience participation is limited.

Despite Park Lane being a busy facility, John Street/Fawcett Street see massive passenger numbers, inc SNE passengers, who are presumably a potential target for GNE.
I use Deptford based buses quite regularly, but used Park Lane for the first time in months last week.
I won't be in Sunderland next Monday and will not get the chance to put forward my views, on a consultation that could directly affect me. Ditto the SNE passengers (or GNE ones), who use others stops in the city centre.

Finding a cost effective method, which is inclusive MUST be the key to making these consultations work.
A consultation which uses a range of methods is surely one that will draw down the most responses and enable the company to implement an effective planning strategy.
Missing out a massive number of current passengers and a significant number of potential passengers isn't giving me much hope that the changes will be a success.

Unless of course, we are seeing another rehash of the North Sunderland Estate services Tongue

Whilst I do agree that the consultation should have taken place across several days, it's another example of sampling techniques, everyone!

The feedback - which should be quite vast - gathered in eight hours on Monday throughout the morning peak period and during the day will reflect the feedback which would have presumably been gained had the company have done this on each day next week.

Whether this method is successful or not remains to be seen, but I'm quite confident that more feedback (which is also more useful to the company) will be gained.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 17 Nov 2014

And we all know the flaws with sampling Wink.

Just as an example, it would generally be accepted that members of this forum have a range of views or opinions. We will have different views with the consultation.
We can put those viewpoints across in a post, in a comment or via a poll on this forum.
However, people such as Michael, Drifter60, Cbma40, Fozz and myself may not be able to share those views with GNE staff on Monday.
Dan would potentially be the only member of the forum who uses Deptford based services, who could get to the session and share his viewpoint and in turn, help shape the services across Sunderland. Those views could be shaped by Bazza and Kuyoyo happen to be in the area for the day - but primarily use the services of another depot. Three people agree with a proposal, influencing it on the day - yet 5 others who are affected and can't get there, have no say.

This is why sampling can be flawed and why a range of methods needs to be used.

(17 Nov 2014, 5:30 pm)Andreos1 wrote And we all know the flaws with sampling Wink.

Just as an example, it would generally be accepted that members of this forum have a range of views or opinions. We will have different views with the consultation.
We can put those viewpoints across in a post, in a comment or via a poll on this forum.
However, people such as Michael, Drifter60, Cbma40, Fozz and myself may not be able to share those views with GNE staff on Monday.
Dan would potentially be the only member of the forum who uses Deptford based services, who could get to the session and share his viewpoint and in turn, help shape the services across Sunderland. Those views could be shaped by Bazza and Kuyoyo happen to be in the area for the day - but primarily use the services of another depot. Three people agree with a proposal, influencing it on the day - yet 5 others who are affected and can't get there, have no say.

This is why sampling can be flawed and why a range of methods needs to be used.

I use Deptford's buses mainly on a Monday and Tuesday but rest of the week its Stagecoach plus i'm at uni on Monday so can't attend however i hope these proposed changes appear on the site after. 

I would like to know if they're planning on changing the 2A/2C 

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 17 Nov 2014

9 deffo needs sorting the vehicles they have on there are in worse condition 5165 is the worse bus on there 35s are ok for now 20s same X35/X36 are fine as of now 56 very good 29 deffo needs some better vehicles 700s are fine for now 8/78 deffo needs new buses 42 are ok 60 ok 61 ok X7 could run on Sundays 2A/2C vehicles are fine 39 is ok but vehicles need branded now would be nice to provide an Express to Hartlepool and have the number X8 or something starting at Sunderland and run hourly to compete with Arriva 23 and GNE own X35 but have it a similar pattern as X7 would be nice though so instead of getting me to Hartlepool for 1 hour and 30 mins could take a simple 1 hour