North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1252)

RE: Go North East - Latest - michael_kelly - 03 Feb 2014

seen 2 or 3 south tyne 5 park up at the riverside today while going to the metrocentre can anyone tell me why

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 7:40 pm)michael_kelly wrote seen 2 or 3 south tyne 5 park up at the riverside today while going to the metrocentre can anyone tell me why

Maintenence/Repair work.

RE: Go North East - Latest - northtynelinks2 - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 7:51 pm)Tom wrote Maintenence/Repair work.

Wow those cadets must be bad...

RE: Go North East - Latest - speedwheels22 - 03 Feb 2014

Them cadgets always need reparing bet u see one in the repair shop everday they need scrapped rubbish buses

RE: Go North East - Latest - mattdw92 - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Them cadgets always need reparing bet u see one in the repair shop everday they need scrapped rubbish buses

Won't be long before they start coming off fleet I'm sure...
Reliability of them is pretty dire. Do like them though.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 8:39 pm)mattdw92 wrote Won't be long before they start coming off fleet I'm sure...
Reliability of them is pretty dire. Do like them though.

busmanT has already alluded to the withdrawal of the early Cadets in the fleet - they should live their expected 12 year life-span (as midi-buses) and be withdrawn with this year's orders.

South tyne its a good brand but when u look inside at the internal branding its crusader can gne remove it r put new internal branding up, if 88 have got versas and receving new branding what's going to happen with the 5

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 03 Feb 2014

5 is going into genetic livery it is rumoured

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm)Dan wrote As a result of three B9TLs entering service at Percy Main depot today, OmniCitys 5258/5260 have been transferred to Chester-le-Street depot - the rest of the 'blue batch' are expected to follow suit over the coming days.

Argh. Horrible OmniCity on the 21 "flashbacks

Did the 5 interwork with the 35 once are not

RE: Go North East - Latest - northtynelinks2 - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 9:37 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Did the 5 interwork with the 35 once are not

Very much doubt it. Would it not be a good idea for Deptford to run the South Tyne routes as there isn't as much Dead Mileage getting from Deptford to the start point.

I'm rubbish with areas what about washington can they not run the 5 are is that a bit to far if they did probs put more horrid cadgets on

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Very much doubt it. Would it not be a good idea for Deptford to run the South Tyne routes as there isn't as much Dead Mileage getting from Deptford to the start point.

They used to run the 88/88A before they swapped with the 2A/2C.

Not sure about the 5.

Does anyone know many buses deptford can hold?

I've just seen some news that Londons Geminis are heading North for Arriva! Why don't go north east get some put them straight into northen I think there good buses

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 9:51 pm)speedwheels22 wrote I'm rubbish with areas what about washington can they not run the 5 are is that a bit to far if they did probs put more horrid cadgets on

Depends on what the capacity of the depot is? I think Washington and Saltmeadows Road are about the same distance, but Washington looks pretty full to capacity.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 10:51 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Depends on what the capacity of the depot is? I think Washington and Saltmeadows Road are about the same distance, but Washington looks pretty full to capacity.

And Saltmeadows is a low cost depot where Washington is not.

(03 Feb 2014, 10:49 pm)speedwheels22 wrote I've just seen some news that Londons Geminis are heading North for Arriva! Why don't go north east get some put them straight into northen I think there good buses

Seeing how well Arriva's batch cope will be interesting. In all honesty, I don't think London vehicles aren't built for the North East after they've lived a good few years in London - especially on some of the route's our operators allocate them to (I'm sure pdiddy will agree! Angel)

I think that's the main problem when it comes to second hand vehicles - they've lived a life completely different to the life you want them to lead here in the North East.

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 10:54 pm)citaro5284 wrote And Saltmeadows is a low cost depot where Washington is not.

Ah, yes! Forgot about that! Tongue

Can I ask if you know what the capacity Washington is? There's always buses parked in the road when I pass on the M3, so I'm assuming however many vehicles there are there, it's got to be close to capacity.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Y961 XBU - 03 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 10:55 pm)Dan wrote Seeing how well Arriva's batch cope will be interesting. In all honesty, I don't think London vehicles aren't built for the North East after they've lived a good few years in London - especially on some of the route's our operators allocate them to (I'm sure pdiddy will agree! Angel)

I think that's the main problem when it comes to second hand vehicles - they've lived a life completely different to the life you want them to lead here in the North East.

You would be shocked, theres a number of Plaxton Presidents and Wright Gemini 1's going into service with Arriva North West after being in London for 12 Years and they are proving to be very reliable, I think it depends on the quality of the Bus and the way it was looked after on how they cope after London life!

(03 Feb 2014, 11:18 pm)Y961 XBU wrote You would be shocked, theres a number of Plaxton Presidents and Wright Gemini 1's going into service with Arriva North West after being in London for 12 Years and they are proving to be very reliable, I think it depends on the quality of the Bus and the way it was looked after on how they cope after London life!

You have a point there and I agree, but I guess the main factor is the transition between what services the vehicles are allocated to before and after they move.

Here in the North East, we have a high speed express service which is allocated former London Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President vehicles. The vehicles allocated are said to be breaking down frequently and replacement vehicles are having to be provided regularly.

If the vehicles rarely exceeded 30mph or so in London, going up and down dual carriageways at 55mph isn't going to be a particularly great for them - the transition is simply too extravagant!

Although I don't wish to drift off-topic, what is the nature of the routes which your former London vehicles are allocated to? Are they normal town services, interurban, express..?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Y961 XBU - 04 Feb 2014

well most are mainly for schools but i know some get onto public service (mainly in the manchester area) i also know that 1 gemini has to go up the east lancs motorway to start its school duty each morning and its still yet to break down!

having said that the DLAs that we got of London a couple of years ago was nothing but problems from day one so i still think its down to the quality of the Bus!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 04 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm)Dan wrote You have a point there and I agree, but I guess the main factor is the transition between what services the vehicles are allocated to before and after they move.

Here in the North East, we have a high speed express service which is allocated former London Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President vehicles. The vehicles allocated are said to be breaking down frequently and replacement vehicles are having to be provided regularly.

If the vehicles rarely exceeded 30mph or so in London, going up and down dual carriageways at 55mph isn't going to be a particularly great for them - the transition is simply too extravagant!

Although I don't wish to drift off-topic, what is the nature of the routes which your former London vehicles are allocated to? Are they normal town services, interurban, express..?

Seen Loylnes on over the last week or so

RE: Go North East - Latest - WestDurhamSwift - 04 Feb 2014

(04 Feb 2014, 7:35 am)andreos1 wrote Seen Loylnes on over the last week or so

A Loylne on the X30 the other day had a leaking roof! And those x London deckers still sneak onto the X30/X31 at times.

I wonder if a horse and cart with Go North East on could get me back home quicker sometimes.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 04 Feb 2014

5338 is at Saltmeadows.

I'm also told that 6108 has now entered service.

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 04 Feb 2014

(03 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm)Dan wrote Here in the North East, we have a high speed express service which is allocated former London Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President vehicles. The vehicles allocated are said to be breaking down frequently and replacement vehicles are having to be provided regularly.

They struggled to cope with the 21. I do wonder what thinking led them to believe they'd be a solid fit on the X21.

Anyone know what the future is for 8293 (Plaxton Concept), and how old the bus is etc.

Will it be withdrawn this year or does it have a few years yet.

Would be nice to get an internal refurb.

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 04 Feb 2014

Go North East 8293

Looking through a few photos of interiors on emdjt42's flickr photos and noticed that Scania 5217 has had an internal refurb about 4 years ago, everything is done to standard, seats, poles etc, but the floor hasnt, anyone no why it wasnt done, or if it has been done now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/4942364886/in/set-72157615493863815

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 04 Feb 2014

(04 Feb 2014, 2:57 pm)G-CPTN wrote Go North East 8293

Probably my favourite GNE vehicle, it's just so smart

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 04 Feb 2014

(04 Feb 2014, 10:09 am)Arcticrossy92 wrote A Loylne on the X30 the other day had a leaking roof! And those x London deckers still sneak onto the X30/X31 at times.

I wonder if a horse and cart with Go North East on could get me back home quicker sometimes.

Although mechanically, they may be ok and have stood the test of time, there are a few that have succumbed to condensation and rainwater.

The original batch of Presidents (including the ones which were despatched down to Oxford), have aged a bit better.