North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=1463)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Jimmi - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 4:38 pm)Dan wrote Can you advise which fleet numbers?

The Wi-Fi is definitely working on every single vehicle as Icomera tested it when they commissioned it, and both citaro5284 and myself tested it on both of our phones when programming the destination on every bus.

Worth noting that the new vehicles all provide 4G speeds, too, and that the Wi-Fi service on the new Streetlites for services 8/78 has been used about as much as the Wi-Fi on the "Red Arrows" Volvo B9TLs (both across 14 vehicles, with 5396 not yet out in service).

5407 - on my phone kept saying obtaining IP address (or something like that) on my phones WiFi options page but nothing would happen.

5408 - was showing as connected to the network on my phone but wouldn't go to the landing page where you click to connect to the network and agree to the terms etc.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - 8222 - 07 May 2015

Just drove back towards Seaham from Sunderland and saw the X10 northbound heading along past Ryhope Hospital. There must be a closure or something on the A19.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - MrFozz - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 8:06 pm)8222 wrote Just drove back towards Seaham from Sunderland and saw the X10 northbound heading along past Ryhope Hospital. There must be a closure or something on the A19.
There's works between Dalton Park and Doxford Park...The A19 is closed between about 8pm and 6am

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - idiot - 07 May 2015

Few things I've noticed today - at carville the 20 had decent loads on 6100 at around 16.00 ish

The 5 has just passed me at Chichester packed! Standing room only! Is there something on in Shields tonight?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - pdiddy - 07 May 2015

When are the Scania deckers entering service

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Andreos1 - 07 May 2015

(07 May 2015, 8:23 pm)idiot wrote Few things I've noticed today - at carville the 20 had decent loads on 6100 at around 16.00 ish

The 5 has just passed me at Chichester packed! Standing room only! Is there something on in Shields tonight?

The 20's always carry decent loads, particularly around the time you saw it.
There can be standing loads all the way down the Solars - beyond Houghton.
Bet they were over the moon when a decker turned up.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - idiot - 07 May 2015

Never really in that neck of the woods tbh it was only because I had to drive down to Richmond today.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Andreos1 - 08 May 2015

Issues/delays with the 4 again tonight.

Three went in the opposite direction, in the time it took me to get down all half a mile of Burn Park Road.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Malarkey - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 3:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Issues/delays with the 4 again tonight.

Three went in the opposite direction, in the time it took me to get down all half a mile of Burn Park Road.

Nothing Go North East can do though when you have St Roberts/Biddick Comprehensive Schools within a short distance of each other though, traffic is horrendous in that area between 3pm and 4pm on a Weekday, also there is Numerous Primary Schools to go by in the Houghton Area also, along with picking up a load of Students from Usworth College as well, bound to be a knock on effect across the route as a result.

(08 May 2015, 3:34 pm)Malarkey wrote Nothing Go North East can do though when you have St Roberts/Biddick Comprehensive Schools within a short distance of each other though, traffic is horrendous in that area between 3pm and 4pm on a Weekday, also there is Numerous Primary Schools to go by in the Houghton Area also, along with picking up a load of Students from Usworth College as well, bound to be a knock on effect across the route as a result.

Agreed. At this time of day, it can be busy.
However, the scholars services were all on time and got through the traffic ok.

Getting away from the school thing for a moment, the bunching/lateness happens beyond rush hour too.

Maybe the slow driver of that 78 you saw the other day, has transferred to Washington and was on the 4 running circa 20 mins late? :p

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Adrian - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 3:34 pm)Malarkey wrote Nothing Go North East can do though when you have St Roberts/Biddick Comprehensive Schools within a short distance of each other though, traffic is horrendous in that area between 3pm and 4pm on a Weekday, also there is Numerous Primary Schools to go by in the Houghton Area also, along with picking up a load of Students from Usworth College as well, bound to be a knock on effect across the route as a result.

It's not like the two schools popped up out of nowhere though? GNE used to run short 194s from Biddick School carpark towards Easington Lane to take away quite a bit of congestion. It's obviously not as easy now though, when a lot of people have to first go to the Galleries for a connection.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Malarkey - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 3:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote Agreed. At this time of day, it can be busy.
However, the scholars services were all on time and got through the traffic ok.

Getting away from the school thing for a moment, the bunching/lateness happens beyond rush hour too.

Maybe the slow driver of that 78 you saw the other day, has transferred to Washington and was on the 4 running circa 20 mins late? :p
Although that is a likely possibility, I hope that hasnt happended.
(08 May 2015, 3:48 pm)aureolin wrote It's not like the two schools popped up out of nowhere though? GNE used to run short 194s from Biddick School carpark towards Easington Lane to take away quite a bit of congestion. It's obviously not as easy now though, when a lot of people have to first go to the Galleries for a connection.
I have mistakenly used the 2A on a few occasions between 2.30pm and 4pm from Sunderland to The Galleries, and I would say there is around 150-300 Students standing at the Stops between Washington Arts Centre/St Roberts and Biddick Comp waiting for the 4, they seem to ignore or are unaware the the 2A/8 also go to The Galleries, Been a few times where the 2A has stopped at The Arts Centre when there has been a large number Students waiting, and only a handful have gotten on.

This perhaps because Scholars Services 441/444/450/451/453/454/457/458/460/461/462 and 465 dont serve Washington Galleries and/or the Areas in which those Students are Travelling to, perhaps it is Cheaper for these Students to use the 4 then another Service from The Galleries to get back home, than using the Scholars Service, maybe the Scholars Service goes around the world and it would be quicker to get the 4 then another Service from The Galleries, Also from looking at Simplygo.com/Nexus Website I cant find any details as to where the above Scholars Services go either.

(08 May 2015, 4:14 pm)Malarkey wrote Although that is a likely possibility, I hope that hasnt happended.
I have mistakenly used the 2A on a few occasions between 2.30pm and 4pm from Sunderland to The Galleries, and I would say there is around 150-300 Students standing at the Stops between Washington Arts Centre/St Roberts and Biddick Comp waiting for the 4, they seem to ignore or are unaware the the 2A/8 also go to The Galleries, Been a few times where the 2A has stopped at The Arts Centre when there has been a large number Students waiting, and only a handful have gotten on.

This perhaps because Scholars Services 441/444/450/451/453/454/457/458/460/461/462 and 465 dont serve Washington Galleries and/or the Areas in which those Students are Travelling to, perhaps it is Cheaper for these Students to use the 4 then another Service from The Galleries to get back home, than using the Scholars Service, maybe the Scholars Service goes around the world and it would be quicker to get the 4 then another Service from The Galleries, Also from looking at Simplygo.com/Nexus Website I cant find any details as to where the above Scholars Services go either.

http://strobertofnewminster.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ST-ROBERTS-OF-NEWMINSTER-RC-TIME-TABLE-2014-15.pdf

http://www.biddickacademy.com/uploaded/BIDDICK%20SCHOOL%20-%20%20BUS%20TIME%20TABLES%202012-13.pdf - a few years old for Biddick, but nothing has changed too much.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Michael - 08 May 2015

A post on the GNE Facebook page has attracted 313 likes.

Here is the post:

Hi there, I am on the X1 from Hetton to Newcastle which left approx 1220 or just after. There was a blind man on the bus and when he got off just before the burn the his bus driver not only helped him off the bus but helped him cross the busy road. I thought this was above anything I've seen from a bus driver in a long time and he needs to be recognised for this. There is still some good people around

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Tom - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 5:39 pm)Michael wrote A post on the GNE Facebook page has attracted 313 likes.

Here is the post:

Hi there, I am on the X1 from Hetton to Newcastle which left approx 1220 or just after. There was a blind man on the bus and when he got off just before the burn the his bus driver not only helped him off the bus but helped him cross the busy road. I thought this was above anything I've seen from a bus driver in a long time and he needs to be recognised for this. There is still some good people around

That's excellent!

There was one on the Arriva page that attracted nearly 200 likes when a bus driver let an autistic 5 year old who is an enthusiast in the cab and took his photo, also fantastic. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Dan - 08 May 2015

(08 May 2015, 5:39 pm)Michael wrote A post on the GNE Facebook page has attracted 313 likes.

Here is the post:

Doubled in likes in the last hour.

Excellent customer service and it's great that it was reported on Social Media as it appears to have "gone viral", so to speak! Can only imagine if other drivers see how many likes the post has attracted, it would motivate them to provide similar good customer service if the opportunity ever arose.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - idiot - 09 May 2015

Upto 2129 likes!

I know SC do ask for passengers for there customer service champion (or the likes of!). Do GNE do something similar?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Andreos1 - 09 May 2015

I was tempted to mention it at the time, but left it.
Reading through old posts meant it got the better of me in the end, so...

Has anyone seen the state of the nearside wing mirror on 5211?

No idea what happened to the original, but the replacement has had a shoddy paint job!

#looksalongA690
#wingmirrorissues
#hashtagsonNEB

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - idiot - 09 May 2015

https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/10155533605395710

It's now reached 3,347 likes!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - John_R - 09 May 2015

2 new red Streetlites were heading North up the A1M this morning.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Dan - 09 May 2015

To follow on from Adam's post in the "Rare & Odd Workings" thread:

(09 May 2015, 3:17 pm)Adam wrote Seen fully branded 5396 go past Gateshead Stadium earlier being driven by an engineer. I dare say its off to Stanley?

"Coast & Country" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid 5396 has now arrived at Stanley, and has entered service. This has released similar branded loanee 5402 back to Chester-le-Street, allowing the latter to have a dedicated spare corporate liveried vehicle for "Coast & Country" services 8/78.

"Red Kite" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid 5411 - 5414 are all now at Stanley, although 5416 and 5417 presently remain at Saltmeadows Road.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - RM2186 - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 3:26 pm)Dan wrote To follow on from Adam's post in the "Rare & Odd Workings" thread:

"Coast & Country" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid 5396 has now arrived at Stanley, and has entered service. This has released similar branded loanee 5402 back to Chester-le-Street, allowing the latter to have a dedicated spare corporate liveried vehicle for "Coast & Country" services 8/78.

"Red Kite" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid 5411 - 5414 are all now at Stanley, although 5416 and 5417 presently remain at Saltmeadows Road.

Just travelled on 5396 from Stanley to Chester le Street having had it changeover for an Omnicity we were on.

Also reprimanded an OAP woman that thought it was perfectly acceptable to throw shoe packaging away by pushing it down the side of the seat! I handed it back to her and said  "This company do not spend £2million on brand new buses for you to use it as a dustbin. Please take your rubbish with you and refrain from doing this anymore"

She was gobsmacked and gave me the finger as she got off and asked "Who do you think you are?". I don't know, free travel and the manners of low life. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - thetravelman - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 3:44 pm)RM2186 wrote Also reprimanded an OAP woman that thought it was perfectly acceptable to throw shoe packaging away by pushing it down the side of the seat! I handed it back to her and said  "This company do not spend £2million on brand new buses for you to use it as a dustbin. Please take your rubbish with you and refrain from doing this anymore"

She was gobsmacked and gave me the finger as she got off and asked "Who do you think you are?". I don't know, free travel and the manners of low life. 

Good for you ! people just have No respect these days, both young and old alike. Why push packaging down the side of a seat, or any other sort of rubbish .

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - S813 FVK - 09 May 2015

Nice to hear old people still have the finger anyway... Smile

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - thetravelman - 09 May 2015

I've just been thinking back to my childhood and early adult life after leaving school. My first job was in Newcastle, back then most GoAhead routes were Double Decker, I'm thinking routes such as, 631, 632, 633, 642 from Winlaton, and also even other routes such as 602, 610, 611, 651, 644.

Whether boarding these buses from Winlaton or Blaydon or obviously the later 2 services from Sunniside or Whickham in the morning traveling to work, or coming back home on an evening, these buses were always packed full.
Why did GNE and Arriva decide to change from Double Decker to Single ?

Obviously the 10 is now Double Decker again, but you have lost services such as 631, 632, 633 & 642 to be combined into service 31 & 32 both still as Single Decker, now I don't know what loading figures are like nowadays, as I've not needed to use theses services for some 20 years or more now, but thinking back to the past these were well used, I don't see why they needed to go Single Deck. Same with Arriva when they made the 602 single deck.

Mind you thinking back to my childhood, bus fare prices within Tyne & Wear for a Single journey Child were 5p then increased to 10p and last couple of years at school they had risen to 15p.
When I left school and got my first job in Newcastle, my Adult Tyne & Wear All Zone bus pass cost me £ 29.50 (ish) per month !!!!

Happy Times !

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - misfit - 09 May 2015

Didn't realise you could stuff Humans down the side of a seat!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Michael - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 3:26 pm)Dan wrote To follow on from Adam's post in the "Rare & Odd Workings" thread:

Only 2 more to arrive now?, only asking because the fleet list on both here and GNE hasn't being updated.

Wonder how long before the next 14 buses start to arrive..... 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - G-CPTN - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 5:50 pm)thetravelman wrote I've just been thinking back to my childhood and early adult life after leaving school. My first job was in Newcastle, back then most GoAhead routes were Double Decker,
Happy Times !

When I did my apprenticeship at Vickers Armstrongs (in the 1960s) there were queues of workers on Scotswood Road waiting for a stream of buses (and duplicates) as very few people had cars.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Adrian - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 3:44 pm)RM2186 wrote Just travelled on 5396 from Stanley to Chester le Street having had it changeover for an Omnicity we were on.

Also reprimanded an OAP woman that thought it was perfectly acceptable to throw shoe packaging away by pushing it down the side of the seat! I handed it back to her and said  "This company do not spend £2million on brand new buses for you to use it as a dustbin. Please take your rubbish with you and refrain from doing this anymore"

Good on you. I really can't understand why you'd un-package shoes on a bus though, given that you can only wear one pair at a time?! Almost as bad as the idiot I once had eating boiled eggs, and picking the shell off them!  Huh

I really think that GNE and other operators need to take a harder line with these folk showing absolutely nee respect towards their buses. That should of course include those with no personal hygiene. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - cbma06 - 09 May 2015

(09 May 2015, 5:50 pm)thetravelman wrote I've just been thinking back to my childhood and early adult life after leaving school. My first job was in Newcastle, back then most GoAhead routes were Double Decker, I'm thinking routes such as, 631, 632, 633, 642 from Winlaton, and also even other routes such as 602, 610, 611, 651, 644.

Whether boarding these buses from Winlaton or Blaydon or obviously the later 2 services from Sunniside or Whickham in the morning traveling to work, or coming back home on an evening, these buses were always packed full.
Why did GNE and Arriva decide to change from Double Decker to Single ?

Obviously the 10 is now Double Decker again, but you have lost services such as 631, 632, 633 & 642 to be combined into service 31 & 32 both still as Single Decker, now I don't know what loading figures are like nowadays, as I've not needed to use theses services for some 20 years or more now, but thinking back to the past these were well used, I don't see why they needed to go Single Deck. Same with Arriva when they made the 602 single deck.

Mind you thinking back to my childhood, bus fare prices within Tyne & Wear for a Single journey Child were 5p then increased to 10p and last couple of years at school they had risen to 15p.
When I left school and got my first job in Newcastle, my Adult Tyne & Wear All Zone bus pass cost me £ 29.50 (ish) per month !!!!

Happy Times !

yea same here, when I was growing up in Houghton and Sunderland, my first adult tyne and wear all zone pass was about £23.50 ish, yea the buses used to be full with double Decker usage, when I was a kid the 5p fare was just getting fazed out, used the 10 p structure child fare for a number of years between home and school. bus usage dropped as the government wanted the public to purchase cars etc..., as the car owner can get where their wanted and a time that their suited, but now since the roads are almost gridlocked with cars etc.., the government want the public back on using the public transport.